How’s the 2023-24 season going?

Surf's cute game got slapped around again by Slammers Koge, 4-1. More evidence that US soccer is broken. Surf's talent and style of play should guarantee success more often than not, but in a tournamnet/playoff setting the old skool kick and run worked again. Its more effective when these two matchup with Koge haveing better athletes and Surf the better footballers but god damn is it ugly. Koge and most successful american girls teams play this overly aggressive direct football so hard to argue with changing it until Spain keeps kicking our butts at every major tournament. As long as this style of play keeps winnig these empty youth soccer titles US women's soccer is going to continue to fall behind when it once had such a lead, sad.

That's unfortunate. I was hoping Surf would win it this year.

Surf's cute game got slapped around again by Slammers Koge, 4-1. More evidence that US soccer is broken. Surf's talent and style of play should guarantee success more often than not, but in a tournamnet/playoff setting the old skool kick and run worked again. Its more effective when these two matchup with Koge haveing better athletes and Surf the better footballers but god damn is it ugly. Koge and most successful american girls teams play this overly aggressive direct football so hard to argue with changing it until Spain keeps kicking our butts at every major tournament. As long as this style of play keeps winnig these empty youth soccer titles US women's soccer is going to continue to fall behind when it once had such a lead, sad.

Looks like it was 4-3 not 4-1. Curious how others felt about the game and if they side with GOTins’ indictment of the quality or if GOTins might just be salty?

Same question re Legends/Hawks?

Just getting word that we are going to have a Koge vs Legends final… Go SoCal
Looks like it was 4-3 not 4-1. Curious how others felt about the game and if they side with GOTins’ indictment of the quality or if GOTins might just be salty?

oh that sounds better. It was definitely a salty post but I get it. It sucks to go over there and lose.

Keep in mind, we have teams from Cal spending over $100k as a team in parent/kid travel plus parent days off work for these National Events. I mean, sure, some teams play more direct, but the stakes for 14 year old girls are way too high imo for another league game basically. Of course the game is going to be tight with enormous pressure. The ability to capitalize on mistakes will go a long way as the pressure on the field must be enormous. A great coach told me that a great team can play possession and direct depending on match ups. When playing a team with great possession, you better have great athletes that can press, disrupt, and capitalize or you better be able to possess yourself and not allow them to control the game. Either way the winner can take pride with what worked. Looks like it was a great game just not a fan of the unneccessary travel which I think translates into very tight pressure filled ugly games, but what can we do?

Seems like there's no honor in playing prettier or more "correct" soccer, if it isn't performed well enough to win. These are the national finals, and the only objective is to leave the field with more goals than the other side. When two top teams compete for one spot, one of them is going to lose.

Isn't surf in the final of 3 out of the 6 ECNL age groups: 2011, 2009 and 2006 (which they won). Seems to me they are doing fine playing their brand of soccer.

As a SoCal side note, I think 8 of the 12 teams making it to the championship game are from SoCal. Crazy.

The score was 4-3 Koge, not 4-1. Not sure about the sour grapes. Koge played great and put more balls in the net than Surf. People forget that the goal is to win these types of games, not play pretty soccer. Surf made a couple of mistakes defensively, and lost a game. My hat is off to Koge. They know how to win big soccer games and I will take a win over pretty any day of the week. If you can do both, great.

Isn't surf in the final of 3 out of the 6 ECNL age groups: 2011, 2009 and 2006 (which they won). Seems to me they are doing fine playing their brand of soccer.

As a SoCal side note, I think 8 of the 12 teams making it to the championship game are from SoCal. Crazy.
You are absolutely right. They are now ranked #1 on the girls side in ECNL with the results you just stated. First Time.

It's not really that crazy. We have the population, year-round weather and "dolla dolla bills ya'll" on our side.

It's not really that crazy. We have the population, year-round weather and "dolla dolla bills ya'll" on our side.
I have no stats to back it up, but I would be surprised if we have had 8 of 12 in many (any?) prior years. So Cal is certainly always strong, but pretty much crushed it this year. Speaking of "y'all", Texas conference has all of those same things and is considered a hotbed for girls soccer (I saw a twitter post recently stating that 10% of 2025 power 4 commits came from the Dallas area alone), but no Texas teams made it to the girls ECNL championship games this year.

I have no stats to back it up, but I would be surprised if we have had 8 of 12 in many (any?) prior years. So Cal is certainly always strong, but pretty much crushed it this year. Speaking of "y'all", Texas conference has all of those same things and is considered a hotbed for girls soccer (I saw a twitter post recently stating that 10% of 2025 power 4 commits came from the Dallas area alone), but no Texas teams made it to the girls ECNL championship games this year.

The Texas reign may be over if they do not change their style of play and the way they train out there. They are the old school. SoCal is the new school…. Just wait for the 2012’s we will see the same thing…

The score was 4-3 Koge, not 4-1. Not sure about the sour grapes. Koge played great and put more balls in the net than Surf. People forget that the goal is to win these types of games, not play pretty soccer. Surf made a couple of mistakes defensively, and lost a game. My hat is off to Koge. They know how to win big soccer games and I will take a win over pretty any day of the week. If you can do both, great.
I watched this game. Koge scored of 3 of their 4 goals on set plays (Corner Kicks and and a very questionable PK). Non of Surf’s goals came from set plays. HBK’s strength are set plays, other than that they maybe got 2 shots off… is that a fair take @Surfer_dad

Back