Silverlakes Summer Showcase?

I recall talking with Tim Ward @Pepperdine and he said pretty much the same thing in that he and his staff would literally get a couple thousand emails leading up to a huge event like Surf Cup or an ECNL NE. Like you alluded to, they already know who they are looking at prior to those large events.
Yup and if a girl is on a coaches radar. They will know the coaches cell phone numbers. That way, if their team ends up in the consolation match. All they have to do is text them the time and field of the game.

Yup and if a girl is on a coaches radar. They will know the coaches cell phone numbers. That way, if their team ends up in the consolation match. All they have to do is text them the time and field of the game.

Has anyone used the Scouting Zone app? It seems like a great tool for coaches and replaces all the individual messaging. Surf Cup will be using it this year (not sure if they used it in the past).

A few schools don't register, but attend the showcases. Those coaches already know who they have on their recruiting list and don't want to get thousands of emails 2 weeks leading up to the event.

And you don't think the big or "well known" schools don't get thousands of emails already? Especially before Surf Cup. LOL.
I recall talking with Tim Ward @Pepperdine and he said pretty much the same thing in that he and his staff would literally get a couple thousand emails leading up to a huge event like Surf Cup or an ECNL NE. Like you alluded to, they already know who they are looking at prior to those large events.

My kid isn't interested in Pepperdine, but I would think if your kid is, it would be better to be 1 of 1000, then 0. I don't know about anyone else, but the coaches I've talked to do want to get emails and dialogue going. Maybe not just right before big showcases, but on a regular, with good info, film, questions, etc. Not saying parents and players shouldn't be realistic about who they are sending their schedule to, but you and NG sound a bit pessimistic. There are only so many YNT players in the talent pool. They won't fill every D1 spot.

And you don't think the big or "well known" schools don't get thousands of emails already? Especially before Surf Cup. LOL.

My kid isn't interested in Pepperdine, but I would think if your kid is, it would be better to be 1 of 1000, then 0. I don't know about anyone else, but the coaches I've talked to do want to get emails and dialogue going. Maybe not just right before big showcases, but on a regular, with good info, film, questions, etc. Not saying parents and players shouldn't be realistic about who they are sending their schedule to, but you and NG sound a bit pessimistic. There are only so many YNT players in the talent pool. They won't fill every D1 spot.
Lol, pessimistic okay, if you say so. I have always posted cast a large net when starting the recruiting process. Then based on the interested schools narrow their selection afterwards.

It's a fairly simple process, the Power 5 recruits YNT players, YNT Pool, then ID2/ODP teams/PDP, then players from top teams on down. Now with Girls DA, I'm sure they will have an ID program a step below YNT camp invites.

My DD team will be playing in the Super Black U13 bracket at Surf Cup. Should she contact Coaches to see if there is an interest come watch her play or it is too early in the recruiting process? Her team is very strong and should do well in the tournament. Wanted to get some feedbacks from the vets.

My DD team will be playing in the Super Black U13 bracket at Surf Cup. Should she contact Coaches to see if there is an interest come watch her play or it is too early in the recruiting process? Her team is very strong and should do well in the tournament. Wanted to get some feedbacks from the vets.

Sure, but they are not going to look at U13 teams. The players are too young.

My DD is not a purple unicorn (wears purple though), but schools still came to watch her team play in consolation games.
They never had 'consolation games' at Surf Cup before this year, so not sure what 'consolation games' you are referring to. It is a new format.

They never had 'consolation games' at Surf Cup before this year, so not sure what 'consolation games' you are referring to. It is a new format.
Take a chill pill, I'm posting about when my DD's club team played consolation games during the ECNL North American playoffs. #sheesh #wounduptight

Has anyone used the Scouting Zone app? It seems like a great tool for coaches and replaces all the individual messaging. Surf Cup will be using it this year (not sure if they used it in the past).
ScoutingZone is a really good "one-stop-shopping" site / app. In her case she used it after a coach showed interest just to get a full set of baseline info / details to all members of the coaching staff as a follow-up.

pessimistic
Not at all. Just reflecting on what i feel is good insight from NG. There are a few of us who have BTDT and I really think most are trying to offer good advice. There is no "best way" however there are nuggets of solid experience that can help balance expectations so a parent / player avoids undue frustration. At the end of the day if your player has the chops AND disposition for the game at the next level she will get noticed.

Appreciate all the insights. Been very confusing lately with 8th grade commits etc. I have been getting tons of mixed messages myself. I have friends who state that although coaches can't contact bring DD to unofficial visits and ID camps; then have others who say no it doesn't matter. I appreciate all of you taking the time to post and provide some clarity/reality.

Appreciate all the insights. Been very confusing lately with 8th grade commits etc. I have been getting tons of mixed messages myself. I have friends who state that although coaches can't contact bring DD to unofficial visits and ID camps; then have others who say no it doesn't matter. I appreciate all of you taking the time to post and provide some clarity/reality.
No worries at all. Glad we can shed some light on what can feel, at times, like a lonely journey.

I have friends who state that although coaches can't contact bring DD to unofficial visits and ID camps; then have others who say no it doesn't matter
I say do it. The more time spent "up front" on visiting schools of interest the better IMHO. In my players case it allowed us to ease into the process and then when the time came to make the big decision it was pretty much stress free. Again there is no "best way" but just offering another perspective.

They had a complete 2nd "Gold" bracket before. Please read between the lines. Some things don't need to be completely spelled out.

Nothing wrong with contacting coaches as a parent. Relationships are important and you never know when that coach might move on.

They had a complete 2nd "Gold" bracket before. Please read between the lines. Some things don't need to be completely spelled out.
Look I think Surf is a great club, and, in the past, Surf Cup has been the event of the season. But this year the format is not good, and I'm not talking about multiple flights which is problematic also. Some age groups have five flights! But there's a difference between having multiple flights, and a format, within each flight, which only allows one team to advance from each bracket to continue competing to win, and then everyone else-- even those who came in 2nd in bracket-- go straight to consolation games with NO QUARTER FINALS, and then scheduling these consolation games on day 3 of the tournament. It's just not the optimal format for showcasing, spending my kid's time and my money, or for plain fun.

It also leaves the organizing club (Surf) open to a lot of criticism, since 1.It has the appearance of a "money grab" forcing all teams to stay and play a 3rd day. And 2. There are brackets that seem stacked, since only one team advances, and they may happen to be brackets that don't include teams from the hosting club....

Just look at some of the age group threads. Just trying to express what some others are feeling about a tournament, Surf Cup, that we have all truly enjoyed over the years, and telling you that these kinds of issues are what probably send top teams over to Silverlakes, which is a showcase to start with. Fewer issues = better way to spend time and money.

Back