Silverlakes Summer Showcase?

Oh joy...4:30, Noon and 2pm kickoff times for our 3 games. Looks like Legends has all early morning games. Generous of them to make sure we don't have to get up too early.
Setting the schedule to your own benefit might just piss the wrong people off.
Nothing like a 430 game at SL. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't blow.

Setting the schedule to your own benefit might just piss the wrong people off.
Nothing like a 430 game at SL. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't blow.
Me thinks it will blow regardless. Traffic getting there for a 4:30 game on a Friday (blows), potential for Norco heat (blows), potential for 30mph winds (blows). Oh well, gotta make sure the DD is hydrated, ready to do her part and gets there safely!

Silverlakes Showcase vs Surf Cup 2017:
Looking at some of the differences between the two events. There are more teams playing at Surf Cup, more college coaches have attended Surf Cup, DA has a day off at Surf Cup, players can go and watch the USWNT game in San Diego while at Surf Cup, winners from each group get a cool jacket, and the weather is going to be much better in Oceanside.

Why is there even a question about which one is more appealing to players, families, and teams?

Schedules/Teams Attending:
Silverlakes:
https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/public/master.aspx?eid=401
Surf Cup:
http://events.gotsport.com/events/Default.aspx?eventid=59034

Colleges Attending or Attended:
Silverlakes 2017:
https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/public/collgecoachattending.aspx?eid=401
Surf Cup 2016:
http://surfcup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2016-SC-College-Coach-List-Final.pdf

Temperature:
Norco:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nor.....69i57j0l2.4060j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Oceanside:
https://www.google.com/search?q=oce.....69i57j0l5.4358j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Me thinks it will blow regardless. Traffic getting there for a 4:30 game on a Friday (blows), potential for Norco heat (blows), potential for 30mph winds (blows). Oh well, gotta make sure the DD is hydrated, ready to do her part and gets there safely!
Didn't even think about the traffic, strike 3.

It looks to me that Silverlakes has a better lineup of College Coaches especially the West Coast coaches.

That is completely false. Almost all of the 42 schools listed are on the Surf Cup list. If you are going to give out misinformation you shouldn't make it so easily verifiable.

I refereed Surf College at Thanksgiving this past fall. On Sunday I heard numerous college coaches bitching about the traffic they had to sit in "for hours" while driving from Surf Cup to Norco in the afternoon. All of them said there was more than enough players to scout at Surf Cup and they were not going to endure the traffic again. If they are smart, they will bring an assistant coach and each coach goes to a different tournament. I would imagine the coaches want to see the DA players at both tournaments, but do not want to hassle with the drive between venues.

The weather can be brutal in Norco. I looked at a long term forecast for Norco and on the Saturday of the tournament it is predicted to be 94 degrees, 33% humidity, 16 mph sw winds, sunny and Oceanside is 77 degrees, 56% humidity, 8mph w winds, overcast in the AM with sun in the afternoon. Oceanside does have the smell from the composting site if you are on one of those south fields.

The weather can be brutal in Norco. I looked at a long term forecast for Norco and on the Saturday of the tournament it is predicted to be 94 degrees, 33% humidity, 16 mph sw winds, sunny and Oceanside is 77 degrees, 56% humidity, 8mph w winds, overcast in the AM with sun in the afternoon. Oceanside does have the smell from the composting site if you are on one of those south fields.

Oh Norco has a smell too. Just wait for the wind to be blowing the right direction and you get Cowmaggedon.

It really stinks for players who have no choice due to Coach preference. This really starts becoming a time when you as a parent need to look at the Coach and their preferences and whether that can effectively showcase your daughter. This is very common in other sports but it seems in soccer people go with the herd.
This is an example where if I was on a team I would speak up. It's not fair to people waiting to get recruited.

That is completely false. Almost all of the 42 schools listed are on the Surf Cup list. If you are going to give out misinformation you shouldn't make it so easily verifiable.

From your various posts I know that you are experienced but you should avoid setting yourself up as the "know-it-all" without easily verifying your facts. Here is the current 2017 Surf Cup Coaches list. Cross reference it for yourself.

http://events.gotsport.com/events/collegecoaches.aspx?eventid=59034

I was not saying Silverlakes is better. I just was reviewing the current list of coaches and clearly right now Silverlakes has a better lineup. 15 D1 girls coaches vs 8 D1 for Surf. I realize this will change and everyone rarely shows up. There are 10 schools listed on both right now. Two are JC's. Most of the others are from out of state. All I am doing is comparing the two current lists. And I have nothing to do with Legends. Clearly Oceanside would be a preferable location (except for the fact that I would need to spend money on a hotel and deal with the horrible weekend drive two and from San Diego). Both have that stinky smell.

From your various posts I know that you are experienced but you should avoid setting yourself up as the "know-it-all" without easily verifying your facts. Here is the current 2017 Surf Cup Coaches list. Cross reference it for yourself.

I was not saying Silverlakes is better. I just was reviewing the current list of coaches and clearly right now Silverlakes has a better lineup. 15 D1 girls coaches vs 8 D1 for Surf. I realize this will change and everyone rarely shows up. There are 10 schools listed on both right now. Two are JC's. Most of the others are from out of state. All I am doing is comparing the two current lists. And I have nothing to do with Legends. Clearly Oceanside would be a preferable location (except for the fact that I would need to spend money on a hotel and deal with the horrible weekend drive two and from San Diego). Both have that stinky smell.

Coach lists are notorious for being wrong, not matter the tournament. Recruiting the last weekend of July has fallen in priority for college coaches for many reasons (remember when Surf was the 16 best teams in the country?), so no one should expect too much unless you (or your coach) are in direct contact with a college coach and know they are coming to your game. So we can all deal with facts, instead of marketing, it would be nice to have some reports on # of coaches actually at games.

What is unavoidabe is the slow, ugly soccer that usually comes with playing in high heat and wind. Let us hope for cool, calm weather for both venues.

Coach lists are notorious for being wrong, not matter the tournament. Recruiting the last weekend of July has fallen in priority for college coaches for many reasons (remember when Surf was the 16 best teams in the country?), so no one should expect too much unless you (or your coach) are in direct contact with a college coach and know they are coming to your game. So we can all deal with facts, instead of marketing, it would be nice to have some reports on # of coaches actually at games.

What is unavoidabe is the slow, ugly soccer that usually comes with playing in high heat and wind. Let us hope for cool, calm weather for both venues.

I do not have my Surf Cup assignments yet. If I get girls games, I will let you know how many college coaches are on the sidelines.

It really stinks for players who have no choice due to Coach preference. This really starts becoming a time when you as a parent need to look at the Coach and their preferences and whether that can effectively showcase your daughter. This is very common in other sports but it seems in soccer people go with the herd.
This is an example where if I was on a team I would speak up. It's not fair to people waiting to get recruited.
Some of the tourneys you have to be accepted to, so the coach can't say for sure what tourneys they will be in. That could be another wasted year if you hit the dates just right or wrong in this case.

I do verify and I am not sure where you got your list from but here is the official list from Surf.

https://scoutingzone.com/TournamentArea/SurfCup/ScoutAttendees

And this list will no doubt grow. I know of several major schools that will be there that are not listed. Not to mention that in your post you were comparing 2016 Surf Cup to 2017 Silverlakes. Surf Cup has always been well attended. It is the last big event before the college season starts. They even conveniently have the last day as July 31st since the first day of practice is August 1st for D1 schools. The last day of the showcase will likely have poor attendance. Think what you want about me. We will see which showcase is the better situation for the ultimate goal of getting players into college. YNT caliber players don't have to worry. Coaches will come see them play. It's that next tier that needs to be concerned. Good luck to you and your player.

Back