Silverlakes Summer Showcase?

It's that next tier that needs to be concerned.

I have a "next tier" player and I'll tell you what, having BTDT with two already I'm very happy we will be at Surf Cup. The list looks good so far and we all know only about 60% of the coaches that show up register with scouting zone.

I have a "next tier" player and I'll tell you what, having BTDT with two already I'm very happy we will be at Surf Cup. The list looks good so far and we all know only about 60% of the coaches that show up register with scouting zone.

99.9 percent of ours are next tier hence my post :) Surf Cup is for better or worse the place to be.

From your various posts I know that you are experienced but you should avoid setting yourself up as the "know-it-all" without easily verifying your facts. Here is the current 2017 Surf Cup Coaches list. Cross reference it for yourself.

http://events.gotsport.com/events/collegecoaches.aspx?eventid=59034

I was not saying Silverlakes is better. I just was reviewing the current list of coaches and clearly right now Silverlakes has a better lineup. 15 D1 girls coaches vs 8 D1 for Surf. I realize this will change and everyone rarely shows up. There are 10 schools listed on both right now. Two are JC's. Most of the others are from out of state. All I am doing is comparing the two current lists. And I have nothing to do with Legends. Clearly Oceanside would be a preferable location (except for the fact that I would need to spend money on a hotel and deal with the horrible weekend drive two and from San Diego). Both have that stinky smell.

My player was at a college camp yesterday and there were at least 12 D1 coaches doing training sessions (Cal, UNC, UCLA, Santa Clara, Michigan, Washington State, Long Beach, University of Utah, Washington, Arizona State, University of San Francisco, San Diego State University, etc.). DD said they told the players they will be at Surf, so don't forget to send out emails with schedules to colleges of interest. She said not one coach said they wouldn't be there, so that made her excited. I don't think the list that you posted is accurate. jmho

My player was at a college camp yesterday and there were at least 12 D1 coaches doing training sessions (Cal, UNC, UCLA, Santa Clara, Michigan, Washington State, Long Beach, University of Utah, Washington, Arizona State, University of San Francisco, San Diego State University, etc.). DD said they told the players they will be at Surf, so don't forget to send out emails with schedules to colleges of interest. She said not one coach said they wouldn't be there, so that made her excited. I don't think the list that you posted is accurate. jmho
Just curious, but what college camp did your dd attend yesterday?

99.9 percent of ours are next tier hence my post :) Surf Cup is for better or worse the place to be.

With the changes made to Surf Cup's format this year (only one team advancing out of bracket to semis-- so no quarter-finals--then a bunch of meaningless consolation games forcing teams to stay a 3rd day), and now up to 4-5 flights, I'd now consider Silverlakes. I'd think college coaches may be put off by the sheer numbers of teams at the Surf event.

In the end, the cost-value of the event is more important than the weather. Love you Surf, but this format is for the birds...

Just curious, but what college camp did your dd attend yesterday?

2017 College Soccer Academy at SoCal Sports park. A girls only camp. DD found it very informative and useful. She isn't using it to get recruited. There were two colleges she's interested in and wanted to meet the coaches and see their training style. She liked one additional coach so much, she is now researching the school. If was two full days and very well ran.

With the changes made to Surf Cup's format this year (only one team advancing out of bracket to semis-- so no quarter-finals--then a bunch of meaningless consolation games forcing teams to stay a 3rd day), and now up to 4-5 flights, I'd now consider Silverlakes. I'd think college coaches may be put off by the sheer numbers of teams at the Surf event.

In the end, the cost-value of the event is more important than the weather. Love you Surf, but this format is for the birds...
You make a good point. If placed in a consolation bracket, will coaches still watch the games?

You are not thinking like a college coach thinks about it. The big schools will be at Surf. Surf has some fantastic talent and the out of state teams love coming. In your cost/value did you consider the wide variety and much higher volume of colleges?

You make a good point. If placed in a consolation bracket, will coaches still watch the games?

He/She makes a terrible point. Coaches recruit players not teams. My player never played in the championship game at Surf Cup and she ended up having schools like Stanford, North Carolina, Duke, Cal, UCLA, Virginia and others watch their games. I remember one year she guess played for an older team in her club and they played an international team with players that schools were interested in. There were over 70 coaches watching a game in the second tier of the tournament.

Don't be sure of what a coach will or won't watch.

I have a feeling that recruiting is going to be a little different this summer. I have a friend who does west coast scouting (women and men's teams) for a couple smaller east coast colleges. The coaches do not have the budgets to fly all over the country, so they contract with him to scout the west coast players. He has expressed some frustration so far this summer because so many female players have moved teams. Also, because the level of play for most of the girls teams have changed due to all the player movement. He said he is really relying on players that are interested in one of his schools sending their schedules. He said he plans to just do a lot more walking around and just watching random games than he would normally. Since the colleges he recruits for are D2, D3 and NAIA he is going to focus on the non-DA teams. He plans to stay in San Diego spending Saturday at the Polo Fields and Sunday at Oceanside. He has a friend who is a referee that is going to go watch and video a few players at Silverlakes for him, so he does not have to make that drive.

We talked about the two tournaments last night. He said that Silverlakes is too new and has not established a good or bad reputation. Every college coach in the country knows the stellar reputation of Surf Cup, but Silverlakes is an unknown to them. He did say he thinks there is a larger pool of recruitable non-DA players to watch at Surf Cup. We also talked about the coaches list for the tournament. He said the colleges he works for will sign up for the tournament but of course he goes in place of the coach. He makes sure he gets registered with the tournaments so he has access to the coaches area (free food and shade).

Maybe when the Silverlakes tournament gets established they will attract a larger number of coaches.

Sandy PK is that a purple or pink unicorn?:D[/QUOT
He/She makes a terrible point. Coaches recruit players not teams. My player never played in the championship game at Surf Cup and she ended up having schools like Stanford, North Carolina, Duke, Cal, UCLA, Virginia and others watch their games. I remember one year she guess played for an older team in her club and they played an international team with players that schools were interested in. There were over 70 coaches watching a game in the second tier of the tournament.

Don't be sure of what a coach will or won't watch.
Yes, but your dd is a unicorn hence all the coaches watching the game. For those 2nd tier dd's, being placed in a consolation bracket is not a good thing. Big difference.

2017 College Soccer Academy at SoCal Sports park. A girls only camp. DD found it very informative and useful. She isn't using it to get recruited. There were two colleges she's interested in and wanted to meet the coaches and see their training style. She liked one additional coach so much, she is now researching the school. If was two full days and very well ran.

How do these camp normally work? The age range says 7th grade to 12th grade, so a big difference in age, size, experience, etc.
Do they just split up the girls, saying forwards group 1, mids group 2, etc? Or do they split them up according to skill, age etc? like
a tryout. Or girls who attend these camps are focused to be recruited, so it is already self-selected. Thanks.

Yes, but your dd is a unicorn hence all the coaches watching the game. For those 2nd tier dd's, being placed in a consolation bracket is not a good thing. Big difference.

I have refereed many showcases that are well attended by college coaches. The consolation games always have a good number of coaches watching. A lot of them are usually coaches that saw the player in an earlier game and want to get a second look at the player while they are in a game that has no pressure to win.

Good point I had not considered. Perhaps I have rose colored glasses from the MC days. This used to be my favorite time of year with Surf Cup

Times are changing! This is the first year that Silverlakes is going up against Surf. As a comparison look back at Thanksgiving. In the past years Surf dominated. We have attended November Nights the past few years (could not get into Surf) and that tournament also always had a great turnout since most of the games were in the evening when Surf had ended for the day. This past Thanksgiving Silverlakes had a showcase at the same time. I can tell you that there were a lot less coaches at November Nights. I heard the same for Surf (raining out on Sunday did not help either). I also heard that Silverlakes had a lot of coaches.

Now Silverlakes is going up against Surf again. Both tournaments appear to have top talent with many DA and ECNL teams at each along with other top teams. I expect at the end of the day we will find both events to be well attended by coaches.

A few schools don't register, but attend the showcases. Those coaches already know who they have on their recruiting list and don't want to get thousands of emails 2 weeks leading up to the event.

My DD is not a purple unicorn (wears purple though), but schools still came to watch her team play in consolation games.

Those coaches already know who they have on their recruiting list and don't want to get thousands of emails 2 weeks leading up to the event
I recall talking with Tim Ward @Pepperdine and he said pretty much the same thing in that he and his staff would literally get a couple thousand emails leading up to a huge event like Surf Cup or an ECNL NE. Like you alluded to, they already know who they are looking at prior to those large events.

Back