Legends Classic Tourney Schedule

Definitely saw a few 2006s that play up with 2005 teams playing in the tourney. One at Beach, a couple at Slammers. I've got no issues with guests, btw. Some benches were pretty deep... but it was hot.
which slammers team was guesting? don't know OC teams very well.

I was told by a parent on slammers Newport (in bracket with beach) that they had 2 guests from 2005 team. Can't verify this as I don't know the teams.

Last year at Surf cup I believe they had U12s playing 9v9 on small fields. I thought it was ridiculous then. Same thing with girls taking direct shots on goal from midfield.

The field sizes for State Cup at Galway downs and Escondido(?) were bigger than what we played on during the summer and fall; I thought those sizes were good.

Last year at Surf cup I believe they had U12s playing 9v9 on small fields. I thought it was ridiculous then. Same thing with girls taking direct shots on goal from midfield.

The field sizes for State Cup at Galway downs and Escondido(?) were bigger than what we played on during the summer and fall; I thought those sizes were good.
Cal South went with 60x90 for State Cup (above the max recommended by US Youth Soccer and US Soccer), after experiencing many complaints about the smaller sizes (47x75) that were used in many leagues. 55x80 is probably a good compromise size.

Those smaller fields are a disadvantage for the few teams that play possession style like Albion and Galaxy. The one that benefited was Blues which it plays a direct style soccer, aka, kickball.

Did 06 teams play with a build out line last year?
If so, sounds like some teams may have wasted a year by trying learn how to play the right way. Then playing smash it to win a year later.
I coached a 5/6th grade coed school team this spring. Wide range of skills. Most teams had 1 or 2 ringers, 1 or 2 kids who haven't played ever and a handful of ok players mixed in.
11v11 with at least 5 females on the field at all times. Wide variety of field sizes. One of the rules is that a keeper punt can't cross the half line in the air (due to the varying and usually short field sizes).
We played a team the last game of the season that scored from the opening kickoff. Shortest field we've played on all year. They had a kid that could boot it. Coached by a longtime club coach. They tried it each time the had a kickoff (which was 5 times. Once to start the game and 4 times for the goals we scored).
Maybe there needs to be a rule change that you can't score direct from a kickoff until you are playing 11v11. But then you'd probably have coaches run a "indirect free kick" tap and just pound it anyway.

Maybe there needs to be a rule change that you can't score direct from a kickoff until you are playing 11v11. But then you'd probably have coaches run a "indirect free kick" tap and just pound it anyway.
I didn't see any goals scored directly from a kickoff (Blues) or from a long free kick (several teams), so don't think it was an issue that impacted any results this weekend (and I completely agree that coaches who want to take a long shot will just do the indirect free kick approach). Essentially teams took a shot, didn't score and gave up possession to the other team every time they tried it. I did see more than a few goals that started from the keeper punt though. Albion's only goal in the final was a keeper punt that landed about 3/4 of the way down the field and was misplayed by the defense. So I still think field size would have been much less of an issue without the keeper punts.

Those smaller fields are a disadvantage for the few teams that play possession style like Albion and Galaxy. The one that benefited was Blues which it plays a direct style soccer, aka, kickball.
Blues goalie is very good. The goal that LAGSB scored on her was the nicest goal I saw in any game all weekend...beautiful cross on a free kick and volley off the crossbar into the net. Not sure how Albion scored against her, but teams are going to have to work to earn goals against her this year (even more so if these smaller goals are going to continue to be used). Blues also have players up top that are going to put pressure on the defense and can put the ball in the net, especially their striker. I would agree that the smaller fields might have helped them some this weekend, but they will be a tough out on larger fields with that goalie and their ability to score.

I was told by a parent on slammers Newport (in bracket with beach) that they had 2 guests from 2005 team. Can't verify this as I don't know the teams.
like the large size fields also. makes for better play, in my opinion. guesting didn't seem to make a difference. unless teams were weaker from the get go. or guested players were less impactful. even if it did make a difference though, i don't have anything against it if you need to use it.

Blues goalie is very good. The goal that LAGSB scored on her was the nicest goal I saw in any game all weekend...beautiful cross on a free kick and volley off the crossbar into the net. Not sure how Albion scored against her, but teams are going to have to work to earn goals against her this year (even more so if these smaller goals are going to continue to be used). Blues also have players up top that are going to put pressure on the defense and can put the ball in the net, especially their striker. I would agree that the smaller fields might have helped them some this weekend, but they will be a tough out on larger fields with that goalie and their ability to score.
In the larger field you could spread out those kickball teams and tired them out. There is more room to run and give more passes. I wonder how those teams will do next year in the big field.

In the larger field you could spread out those kickball teams and tired them out. There is more room to run and give more passes. I wonder how those teams will do next year in the big field.
I think we are all clear that you don't like "big, athletic, direct, kickball" teams. But don't kid yourself, those clubs do well (as far as winning) at the older age groups too.

...and at the National Team Level
This last Monday took my girls to watch USWNT U20's play Japan's U20's at StubHub. Without going in detail our ladies were out played despite their size, speed, and athleticism. And, unfortunately resorted to striking the ball long out the inability to do anything else.

This last Monday took my girls to watch USWNT U20's play Japan's U20's at StubHub. Without going in detail our ladies were out played despite their size, speed, and athleticism. And, unfortunately resorted to striking the ball long out the inability to do anything else.
Yes everyone talking about possession teams, the Japanese young women are the ones to watch. I've seen them also and they are playing a beautiful game based upon a TEAM concept.

Yes everyone talking about possession teams, the Japanese young women are the ones to watch. I've seen them also and they are playing a beautiful game based upon a TEAM concept.
The Japanese U20's played some amazing ball that was fun to watch and their whole team was in sync with one another.

In reading the forum for the last 9+ months it seems that most of us want a possession style of soccer. Not just the biggest, strongest and fastest playing boom ball. But isn't the whole idea of sports to utilize your strengths and minimize your opponents? In an ideal world we would have the biggest, fastest, strongest, most athletic girls that have phenomenal skills that can play the possession game. But like a football team down late in the game who abandons the run, coaches will resort to boom ball if that is the only arrow in their quiver.
Coaches want to win because their jobs depend on it. DOCs want to win because that means more $$$. Parents want to win, primarily for vanity. We talk about the value of possession soccer, but seem to have no patience for actually developing that style of play. We can't move our kids every year based on wins/losses and still claim we care about long term development. Change is a long slow road.

In reading the forum for the last 9+ months it seems that most of us want a possession style of soccer. Not just the biggest, strongest and fastest playing boom ball. But isn't the whole idea of sports to utilize your strengths and minimize your opponents? In an ideal world we would have the biggest, fastest, strongest, most athletic girls that have phenomenal skills that can play the possession game. But like a football team down late in the game who abandons the run, coaches will resort to boom ball if that is the only arrow in their quiver.
Coaches want to win because their jobs depend on it. DOCs want to win because that means more $$$. Parents want to win, primarily for vanity. We talk about the value of possession soccer, but seem to have no patience for actually developing that style of play. We can't move our kids every year based on wins/losses and still claim we care about long term development. Change is a long slow road.
This is right on! Ultimately the parents want the trophy and win at this age instead of the development. The coach feels the pressure to win and the parents don't have any patience for the process. Hence on the 2005 forum I asked for possession style coaches and got a very small list. Wish there were more in my area. I'd rather loose playing pretty soccer than win playing powerball. My daughter has so much more enjoyment playing the game when it is a possesion style. Hopefully more coaches will be dedicated to this style and not bend to the pressure.

I think we are all clear that you don't like "big, athletic, direct, kickball" teams. But don't kid yourself, those clubs do well (as far as winning) at the older age groups too.
Winning trophies don't mean a thing.
Developing your players that's all that matters.
Those clubs don't develop them. Those clubs recruit them. What older age groups? U15 and up? You are kidding yourself. Look at those age groups in the different tournaments. Which clubs are the ones who are winning those tournaments in flight one?

Open your eyes. Possession soccer is the better way. The kids will get as many touches to the ball, learn to pass and dribble. Not just boot the ball to the two who are in front.
Platos' cave.

Winning trophies don't mean a thing.
Developing your players that's all that matters.
Those clubs don't develop them. Those clubs recruit them. What older age groups? U15 and up? You are kidding yourself. Look at those age groups in the different tournaments. Which clubs are the ones who are winning those tournaments in flight one?

I'm confused, if winning trophies don't mean a thing than why should I be looking at U15 and up to see what teams are winning?

Back