Legends Classic Tourney Schedule

Some interesting semifinals! Games of comparable styles!

Blues vs Beach was REALLY physical. Looked like a couple of stoppages and I saw a pretty hard yellow card against Beach. Blues just played so direct and fast and got some great finishes! 3-0

I couldn't see all of the Albion game but it definitely looked like much more possession based. Went to PKs and Albion prevailed.

This will be a fun final to watch!

Some interesting semifinals! Games of comparable styles!

Blues vs Beach was REALLY physical. Looked like a couple of stoppages and I saw a pretty hard yellow card against Beach. Blues just played so direct and fast and got some great finishes! 3-0

I couldn't see all of the Albion game but it definitely looked like much more possession based. Went to PKs and Albion prevailed.

This will be a fun final to watch!

This has been talked about before but how much longer are we going to pay and play in tournaments that have inappropriate size fields for 9v9.

Kinda crazy when my 09 daughter is playing 7 v7 on the same field size as my 06 playing 9 v 9. Yeah, we can all agree that the field size should be something that fosters the things that US Soccer is trying to promote. However, with the goalie punts, it puts a lot of chaos into the mix. IMHO, it would have been fine if they forced teams to play out of the back. Might have seen some different outcomes.

Regardless, this was certainly the first time we got to see some of the new configurations of teams. The top 4 teams certainly all showed up and didnt disappoint.

How do you control the wind?
You're missing the point. The wind blowing end to end exasperated the fact that the fields were roughly 70yds long.

This will definitely pose an interesting challenge for the '06's this year as the oldest group to in CalSouth to ever play short sided games. I wonder how ManCity plans to handle this. We shall see.

You're missing the point. The wind blowing end to end exasperated the fact that the fields were roughly 70yds long.
The fields were small and it was comical that the younger kids were playing 7x7 on the same fields. However, I think a lot of the issue could have been avoided if they would have not allowed goalie punts. There still would have been some teams taking shots on goal from half line or further (especially with the wind), but there are some really good goalies at this age now and I didn't see a lot of long shot goals (I'm sure there were some). In my opinion, and I am sure many will disagree, the actual play didn't seem that congested to me. All four teams that made the semis seem to have added some very good players and raised the bar a bit this year, but wonder if any had significant guests this weekend.

Oh so you watched Blues play this weekend? lol
Played Blues in the Semi's. I wasn't at the game, but was in the phone with my better half during the start of the 2nd when Blues took the shot from the kickoff. I have no issue with taking advantage of the situation (just to clarify).

We were missing 2 players this weekend.....

Played Blues in the Semi's. I wasn't at the game, but was in the phone with my better half during the start of the 2nd when Blues took the shot from the kickoff. I have no issue with taking advantage of the situation (just to clarify).

We were missing 2 players this weekend.....
They do it at just about every younger age group. It's not just at 06. The same coaches use that same strategy. Also comical how they try to take advantage of the play in line with the youngers. You get a tap from the keeper to the girl with the biggest leg for an attempt to send it long.

My daughter played in the U12's last season which as you all know is the last year this age group will play on the big field (at least for now).
I often thought about it during games how this same group of girls that were out there would look on a small field. I never could grip my mind around how that would be good for the girls at that size and level.
I understand the intention of the change, but as you guys can see it happening, just wait till National cup when all these girls get another 9 months of growing and getting stronger. I expect there will be a lot of talk in these boards about teams exploiting the size of player and leg compared to the size of the field.
I hope that it doesn't take too much away from the girls, but instead develops them into better players as the change is supposed to do. I suspect that will come down to coaching and how eager teams are to win over develop in the coming months.

I agree 100% with what someone said here about taking away the punt. That would fix what will likely be the biggest gripe with the change. Punting a ball into or near the other teams goalie box is not realistic soccer and will force a lot of jungle ball type plays.
Will teams start training on how to score off of a punt like they work on corner kicks?
If so, how is that developing them for the big field?

Definitely saw a few 2006s that play up with 2005 teams playing in the tourney. One at Beach, a couple at Slammers. I've got no issues with guests, btw. Some benches were pretty deep... but it was hot.

Back