CalSouth National Cup Question (use of ECNL players)

Longball. Playing over midline from the back to the fast forward .
You know how USC won the national championship and all :)
What he said.
I guess the one big kick from the defense to the forward would qualify as possession to some coaches.

There was a good discussion on the old boards about this. Analyzing what is "kickball" versus "direct".

I've seen plenty of teams where kids pick their head up, look to bypass lines and play attacking players into space "direct". It's efficient and thought out, as opposed to just crushing the ball up field with no idea about positioning of teammates and defenders and relying on inability of defenders to play under pressure or an attacking player who can make something out of nothing and win a ball that probably wasn't anywhere near where she was at or going to but athleticism is superior and wins out.

Let the discussion begin...
What he said also

I have yet to see a skillful technical backline in my age group 04. I have seen it in 03 and 05 where they actually play out of the back and don't punt it forward and the left and right backs on a handful of teams are the fastest girls on the squads. That being said I think defense is such a difficult position and probably one of the most difficult to master- frequently overlooked as well. Also the coaches scream at the back line of a goal goes in completing neglecting the breakdown that occurred in the middle to get it there.
I personally blame Julie Johnston and the World Cup for the god awful flick that now permeates every game.

So if my a back hits a mid beyond the midline and it leads to an attack what is that called?

Well if your daughter looked up and saw someone in open space and had a beautiful drive that was well placed to someone running on to the ball I would call that the game of soccer ⚽

Well if your daughter looked up and saw someone in open space and had a beautiful drive that was well placed to someone running on to the ball I would call that the game of soccer ⚽
Alot of 03s can hit the fade route/outlet. My dd starts on the defensive 3rd of the field and there are more times where she needs to play a mid or outside back but there are also times where the outlet is available deep down the pitch. I just think it's unfair to label a team as a kickball squad because I believe it's a sight adjustment most of the times.

Alot of 03s can hit the fade route/outlet. My dd starts on the defensive 3rd of the field and there are more times where she needs to play a mid or outside back but there are also times where the outlet is available deep down the pitch. I just think it's unfair to label a team as a kickball squad because I believe it's a sight adjustment most of the times.

Agree that's why I brought up USC

So if my a back hits a mid beyond the midline and it leads to an attack what is that called?
If your back CONSTANTLY ignores your midfield and punts the ball half way up the field to a forward who never checks back I would call that a poor coaching.

Depends on the personnel available.
Lol! Sounds like a bad coach and a poor forward. Communication is a must. Midfielders that are constantly ignored should be voicing it, so that they are not constantly ignored. Can't be afraid to tell your own teammates what's up, you know what I mean? That's soccer IQ. I've told both my DD to not be afraid to be constructive. Just do it in a positive way.

There was a good discussion on the old boards about this. Analyzing what is "kickball" versus "direct".

I've seen plenty of teams where kids pick their head up, look to bypass lines and play attacking players into space "direct". It's efficient and thought out, as opposed to just crushing the ball up field with no idea about positioning of teammates and defenders and relying on inability of defenders to play under pressure or an attacking player who can make something out of nothing and win a ball that probably wasn't anywhere near where she was at or going to but athleticism is superior and wins out.

Let the discussion begin...
What kind of soccer do the 2 most successful teams in the 01 / 02 ecnl age groups play? Just a thought.

Teams don't stick together long enough to run/play the style people want.
What kind of soccer do the 2 most successful teams in the 01 / 02 ecnl age groups play? Just a thought.
I've paid attention to both of those team, they run when it presents itself and will run a fast tempo rondo game down the field as well.

@Soccer123

I believe we spend too much time talking about this beautiful game BS, development is crucial, but fun is also, and winning is fun.
Is anyone old here old enough to remember the Magic Showtime Lakers?
Nothing as exciting as that. Apples and oranges I know, but...

Lol! Sounds like a bad coach and a poor forward. Communication is a must. Midfielders that are constantly ignored should be voicing it, so that they are not constantly ignored. Can't be afraid to tell your own teammates what's up, you know what I mean? That's soccer IQ. I've told both my DD to not be afraid to be constructive. Just do it in a positive way.
Mids being ignored is what High school is all about, I have heard.

My little forward is not shy about letting other players know what's up, but she is getting better about that.

Back