CalSouth National Cup Question (use of ECNL players)

So a question came up at practice the other day and I had no idea what the answer is. Can the 03 ECNL players play with State Cup or National Cup teams this year? At first blush, I would think the answer is "no", but I did not see a specific answer to this topic in the NC rules.

Since the 03 ECNL players are not in season right now and none of them are high school aged, can they be "loaned" to teams playing in SC or NC? Wouldn't an ECNL player only need a CalSouth player card (which is not their ECNL player card) and the coach(es) approval to play?

I know that all SC and NC teams must retain a certain percentage of players from the Fall season, but an ECNL player here or there could really change the dynamics of some teams out there.

So a question came up at practice the other day and I had no idea what the answer is. Can the 03 ECNL players play with State Cup or National Cup teams this year? At first blush, I would think the answer is "no", but I did not see a specific answer to this topic in the NC rules.

Since the 03 ECNL players are not in season right now and none of them are high school aged, can they be "loaned" to teams playing in SC or NC? Wouldn't an ECNL player only need a CalSouth player card (which is not their ECNL player card) and the coach(es) approval to play?

I know that all SC and NC teams must retain a certain percentage of players from the Fall season, but an ECNL player here or there could really change the dynamics of some teams out there.
I would think as long as they are rostered prior to the Roster Freeze there is no conflict. Key word..."think", not my strongest attribute...

Yes, they could play for a team provided they were added to the roster before the roster freeze date, which assumes this player is not cup tied to another team. If cup tied (an earlier date), then it becomes more problematic. Since the ECNL team didn't register to play, no players should be cup tied.

Cal south and usclub (ECNL) are independent from each other with seperate rosters, registation, rules and regs. There is nothing stopping a player from being on rosters in both orgs as far as I know except the registar of the club(s)

Same could be said for the ussDA league & Cal south for example. You can have a valid player card for both leagues or all three at the same time potentialy next year. Not that clubs do this very often and cards or membership can be withdrawn if someone where to break the rules & regs (play for 2 teams in 2 different leagues same day) but this is mostly left to the clubs to regulate.

What message would that send to the team/players/parents (if everyone is healthy) to bring in "Club Pass" ECNL players for Nat'l Cup?
Coaches that want to win at any cost will bring in ECNL players even at the expense of their own healthy players. There will be many 18 player rosters out there for National Cup, look for the "patches" on the jerseys as there will be many out there. It is unethical and sends a wrong message to their team, but it will be done as we will all see it play out in a few weeks. Win win win is the name of the game for State Cup.

This is happening for sure, no doubt about it. Sadly its going to happen this weekend for Presidents Cup not even National Cup.

This is happening for sure, no doubt about it. Sadly its going to happen this weekend for Presidents Cup not even National Cup.
#Nature of the winning beast. A bonus, it gives ecnl players on hs break touches on the ball, but sadly limits the playing minutes of healthy players that don't deserve to sit on the bench. Maybe parents won't care that their dd sits on the bench as long as their team keeps winning weekend after weekend. Coaches that use ecnl players don't believe that their own team can win State Cup without having ringers. Cheers to a non ecnl team winning State Cup and winning fairly and believing in their own players!!

#Nature of the winning beast. A bonus, it gives ecnl players on hs break touches on the ball, but sadly limits the playing minutes of healthy players that don't deserve to sit on the bench. Maybe parents won't care that their dd sits on the bench as long as their team keeps winning weekend after weekend. Coaches that use ecnl players don't believe that their own team can win State Cup without having ringers. Cheers to a non ecnl team winning State Cup and winning fairly and believing in their own players!!
The Bench? There is a app available for that. National Cup is about winning. #Nature could play a part during the game but once again there is an app for that bench problem.

A few years ago Slammers Black G98 had a woeful record during the regular season....so for Presidents Cup they dropped in a few ECNL players and defeated our Bronze or Silver team...but I'm not bitter...nope not at all...

Reason 8988888 why a DA is needed

The Bench? There is a app available for that. National Cup is about winning. #Nature could play a part during the game but once again there is an app for that bench problem.
#rootingforanonecnlclubfornationalcuptitle,winwithyourownteamandnoringers

I hope the Academy removes the 'deserve' from the system.

Impossible that would mean they would have to remove the parents and entitilements.
Question though will the star players who can only make practice one time a week at their current clubs (obviously because they are practicing with Barca the other two) be able to continue this with the DA?
That's my favorite thing now- the you are so special that we will overlook practice requirements for you and even make up special trainings. Again buyer beware

Well said! So happy DA players will not be able to guest play for another Team. :)

They could if they have a Cal South card also, not any different than ECNL players with CS cards. The clubs self-regulate or not for the most part.

When most transition to DA which doesn't start until Sept they still have CS cards good until July of the same year.

Why do people care so much about not having better players play down? The end players on a higher team's bench getting additional PT seems fine with me. I had my player guest play with some lower level teams (I was friends with the coach) and the players, families and the coach were pretty happy to have a higher level player to play with. Pretty much universally they said that she helped boost the play of the team and more importantly boost the play of their individual players. My player got extra touches and got to play positions that she doesn't necessarily play in and practice moves that she might not try in a games that mattered to her regular team.

Is this about developing players or teams? You guys are going to be UOlders soon. It's time to let go of the team first mentality until your player gets to college. Now is the time to get your players in a position to get those great offers and to build on their potential so that they are ready to step on the college pitch and make stuff happen!

Back