Albion Cup G04

Goran is sharks ecnl team. 3 of the 4 teams at copa are competitive teams. Oceanside is technically flight 1, but obviously struggling after losing key players.
Sharks lost 8 players this year from the original Toumi team, witch know is Albion DA. Lol

Sharks lost 8 players this year from the original Toumi team, witch know is Albion DA. Lol
Interesting. And where did last year's Albion team go? Force or are they now on the wannabe DA team? That would sting if my kid was a long time player for Albion that touts development and then they buy a team to come in with Toumi. What a wake up call unless that Kool-aide has already fried the brain.

Interesting. And where did last year's Albion team go? Force or are they now on the wannabe DA team? That would sting if my kid was a long time player for Albion that touts development and then they buy a team to come in with Toumi. What a wake up call unless that Kool-aide has already fried the brain.

Going to interject here because I know about this team and watched this weekend. First of all the coaches numbers are wrong it's not 8 Sharks girls. Second there maybe 6 former Albion on there and the rest I don't know where they went. Albion 04 girls has never been strong and the former team could not compete with top flight teams that is truth.
Third it's DA not rec. It can sting but it's not different than Surf having 8 OC players and only three long term Surf players on the team. These powerhouse teams recruited prior to DA. Albion was never considered a strong girls program even though the boys are top notch. This is a huge issue with the DA and wondering out loud if this "super team" mentality will continue now that DA has so many options. I for one do not understand it as there is no path to professional development with girls and college is the goal. I do not understand parents passing Legends ow WCFC or Beach to go to another DA. Fourth as @sandshark would say it's called KOI AIDE.
Fifth and most important Toumi from what I saw is a wow coach. Possession and playing the right way was evident. He played out of the back. No boot ball to corners, no boot ball to forwards. The final vs LAGSD was not a blowout and it was a tale of two different styles. This game was not at all dominated by one team the whole time. I say this not to defend Albion but I think when you have an entirely new team composed of many players from many teams and you are trying to do the right thing it's commendable. LAFC will have the same task. As @Hired Gun said I believe I do not share the opinion that one will be dominant. If the style of play, or attempted style of play I saw is the new norm for this club bravo and I wish this team well (and my niece). I enjoyed watching this team and LAGSD. I enjoyed the atmosphere, sideline calmness, coach instruction and the players.

I have to commend Albion for the brand of soccer they played yesterday. It certainly is a 360 from the style from a year ago. Toumi will make them better as the year progresses. That seemed evident to me.
LAGSD defended exceptionally well which is typical. While the scoreboard showed 1-0 it could have easily been "5". That's soccer, however. One ball off of the crossbar and one late off of the near post. A corner that rolled completely across the goal line. Many other chances that LAGSD didn't capitalize on. Albion had one shot on goal in the second half off of a free kick right outside the 18 that the LAGSD keeper calmly pushed over the crossbar. The LAGSD keeper didn't get to touch the ball in the first half.
Kudos to Albion for the way they played the game. It was enjoyable to see. Looking forward to many games against them over the years to come. I wouldn't sleep on them.

The problem with this post is you are giving a backhanded compliment and it comes acts as as snarky and elitist. I don't know what game you are watching but the ball movement was night and day.
Also it is clear your roster was 2022 grad dates. It was watching full grown women vs a group who hasn't hit puberty- relative age effect in full view.
The score could not have been 5-0. Sorry man you didn't have that many chances.
As far as Albion again the free kick I assume is what you consider a shot- and your keeper was great but no she didn't calmly deflect anything. There were a lot more chances than that beautiful build ups.
I assume everyone else will chime in but let me say on terms of ball movement Albion dominated the first half. It was clear they don't play long ball to the wings. When a team is connecting eight plus passes you don't sleep on them. Second half different story altogether but still held them 0.
This gets into the whole USC vs whoever argument. Direct wins championships I get it which is why I made no comment about Carlsbad. You should be gracious in the win. We should all wish for development and better play.
I would love to watch Albion vs Dido. That will be beautiful soccer.

The problem with this post is you are giving a backhanded compliment and it comes acts as as snarky and elitist. I don't know what game you are watching but the ball movement was night and day.
Also it is clear your roster was 2022 grad dates. It was watching full grown women vs a group who hasn't hit puberty- relative age effect in full view.
The score could not have been 5-0. Sorry man you didn't have that many chances.
As far as Albion again the free kick I assume is what you consider a shot- and your keeper was great but no she didn't calmly deflect anything. There were a lot more chances than that beautiful build ups.
I assume everyone else will chime in but let me say on terms of ball movement Albion dominated the first half. It was clear they don't play long ball to the wings. When a team is connecting eight plus passes you don't sleep on them. Second half different story altogether but still held them 0.
This gets into the whole USC vs whoever argument. Direct wins championships I get it which is why I made no comment about Carlsbad. You should be gracious in the win. We should all wish for development and better play.
I would love to watch Albion vs Dido. That will be beautiful soccer.

Kudos to Albion for keeping it 1-0 and Notts with the tie against Carlsbad. Both teams have great possession coaches. Only other coach I can think of in SD with the same approach is Goran. I am enjoying seeing the results of the possession vs long ball games closer than what they were before. With the possession teams, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Who is Goran I have never heard of this coach? There is a huge difference in style between Pauley, DIDO, Toumi, Arrache and others. For me that has been a true wake up call and indicative of the future. You have to go to what team and coach suit your DD style of play and can best showcase her. People that are still focused in winning teams and scores I don't think understand the whole picture. When they were little I used to see the whole team. Now on each team 4-5 girls stick out on teams- the rest are invisible to a degree. It leads me to believe that those girls may not be in the best system to capitalize on their strengths and talents.
There is a very high profile coach who is trying to recruit people. He is badmouthing some DA teams and asking "who is on that team..you need to come here you won't get better with team A". That coach is someone I wouldn't play for mainly because thy don't get it. Who would want to be on that type of team and be a role player? This is the time for the 04 to get sharp before recruitment. Play time should be the goal not wins

Going to interject here because I know about this team and watched this weekend. First of all the coaches numbers are wrong it's not 8 Sharks girls. Second there maybe 6 former Albion on there and the rest I don't know where they went. Albion 04 girls has never been strong and the former team could not compete with top flight teams that is truth.
Third it's DA not rec. It can sting but it's not different than Surf having 8 OC players and only three long term Surf players on the team. These powerhouse teams recruited prior to DA. Albion was never considered a strong girls program even though the boys are top notch. This is a huge issue with the DA and wondering out loud if this "super team" mentality will continue now that DA has so many options. I for one do not understand it as there is no path to professional development with girls and college is the goal. I do not understand parents passing Legends ow WCFC or Beach to go to another DA. Fourth as @sandshark would say it's called KOI AIDE.
Fifth and most important Toumi from what I saw is a wow coach. Possession and playing the right way was evident. He played out of the back. No boot ball to corners, no boot ball to forwards. The final vs LAGSD was not a blowout and it was a tale of two different styles. This game was not at all dominated by one team the whole time. I say this not to defend Albion but I think when you have an entirely new team composed of many players from many teams and you are trying to do the right thing it's commendable. LAFC will have the same task. As @Hired Gun said I believe I do not share the opinion that one will be dominant. If the style of play, or attempted style of play I saw is the new norm for this club bravo and I wish this team well (and my niece). I enjoyed watching this team and LAGSD. I enjoyed the atmosphere, sideline calmness, coach instruction and the players.
Toumi brought over players from CSC to Sharks and they left with him to Albion. He only has a few players from the top Albion team

One final thought I watched a local team play this weekend and saw one of the most talented left mids I have ever seen. She plays on a no name team. She was playing another relatively non name local club team. I watched and was blown away and made some comments- lucky for me I was near her mom and it was positive! Mom said it's my DD. I said wow she is something. Mom said that she was rceuited by all the big names, is ODP etc but that they have no intention of going to DA or a big club until ninth grade because she wants her daughter to be creative and grow without pressure or being pigeonholed. Whoever gets this gal will be a lucky team in two years! More importantly what a great parent and gave me some food for thought

One final thought I watched a local team play this weekend and saw one of the most talented left mids I have ever seen. She plays on a no name team. She was playing another relatively non name local club team. I watched and was blown away and made some comments- lucky for me I was near her mom and it was positive! Mom said it's my DD. I said wow she is something. Mom said that she was rceuited by all the big names, is ODP etc but that they have no intention of going to DA or a big club until ninth grade because she wants her daughter to be creative and grow without pressure or being pigeonholed. Whoever gets this gal will be a lucky team in two years! More importantly what a great parent and gave me some food for thought

Marathon, not a sprint.

Toumi brought over players from CSC to Sharks and they left with him to Albion. He only has a few players from the top Albion team

If you consider bringing over five players from Sharks buying a team I suppose you have a large problem with the ones bringing 8-9 from five zip codes away? The business of youth soccer. All the clubs say they develop. Find out how many girls are on these teams since u8. Carlsbad is the ONLY one who doesn't have muddy hands on this argument.

If you consider bringing over five players from Sharks buying a team I suppose you have a large problem with the ones bringing 8-9 from five zip codes away? The business of youth soccer. All the clubs say they develop. Find out how many girls are on these teams since u8. Carlsbad is the ONLY one who doesn't have muddy hands on this argument.
Honestly it really don't matter where he gets players from, he will make his teams better! There are a few teams in San Diego that have good Teachers of the game. ⚽

It's a business. You're right, at least he isn't recruiting OC girls. Or bringing in ringer guest players to help them win while sitting his own team.

Honestly it really don't matter where he gets players from, he will make his teams better! There are a few teams in San Diego that have good Teachers of the game. ⚽

I listed the three above in our age group in San Diego.

Is Dugan coaching a possession style? I'm surprised to hear the complaints above about kickball.

That's true I totally agree which is why I don't judge what any of them choose to do honestly. It's all about the right choice for your daughter and what coach "gets" her. I was noticing though how phenomenal Toumi is. I have to say pretty interesting that this coach has pretty much lived in the local club scene for a long time. CSC, SHARKS, and now Albion. I heard what he was saying to the girls this weekend and I am not the only one who was really impressed with who he is, what he is teaching and focusing on, how he was coaching them. Seems to be a real asset to build a program.
This makes me wonder what other local gems are hiding out at the community clubs????? What other true teachers of the game are hiding ???

Say what you will about MD and his style. There are times to play possession and times to play direct. Most would agree that we can play both. And very well at that. If possession soccer isn't about breaking the other defense down to create scoring chances in the final third what is it?
The girls love playing for him and that counts for a lot these days. For an almost entirely home grown squad (90%) he gets a lot out of these '04 kids. To come out after not having played in two months with one week of regular practice and implementing a new formation says a lot about the team, coach, and the individuals. No need to hate.
Sounds to me like there is another bone to pick.

For the record I don't see anyone knocking any particular style! Some teams are culturally different though. Blues always first to ball every single time, likes to rattle people, great D. It's a culture! These DA will have cultural and stylistic differences and people need to get on either the fact that their DD may not fit into a system. Likewise people need to stop with the comparison and tearing down of other teams based on a W.

Say what you will about MD and his style. There are times to play possession and times to play direct. Most would agree that we can play both. And very well at that. If possession soccer isn't about breaking the other defense down to create scoring chances in the final third what is it?
The girls love playing for him and that counts for a lot these days. For an almost entirely home grown squad (90%) he gets a lot out of these '04 kids. To come out after not having played in two months with one week of regular practice and implementing a new formation says a lot about the team, coach, and the individuals. No need to hate.
Sounds to me like there is another bone to pick.

One thing that was very clear to me is with this new focus on possession, ground play, out of the back play is that set pieces are now key. In the past I think Surf was the only team to truly have perfected multiple set pieces and they are well ahead of many teams in this regard. There was so much ground play that the girls were more tired, the defense was stronger and those opportunities in the form of corners or free kicks became paramount . There was less of a "frenzied feeling".
The girls are becoming students of the game and it is exciting to see.

Back