Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

This post might get me banned, but just reporting facts - see pic.

If you can leverage race or other, that will likely trump sports. Sports should be leveraged for those without some minority card.
At the time my daughter was looking for a school for architecture (she is a licensed architect now doing very well) one pretty good school was providing free school for that 5 year program based on skin color. She grew up knowing I was African American (white), so she thought maybe that would work. I had to explain how it works to her.

We paid - a lot. She makes - a lot. The place matters, the connections matter.

Actually, we paid for two kids tuition because she couldn't play that minority card. But soccer got her in.

Fact: $250K + for being African American.

My advice is don't even think about full rides for soccer. So rare it might as well be a myth. And if your kid is someone who could pull a magic full-ride rabbit out of the hat, chances are everyone already knows it because he/she is starting YNT regularly and dominating at that level. I personally don't know anyone whose kid got a full ride. Even the most successful college players whose parents frequented this board in the past 5 years didn't get full rides (as far as I was told). For non-revenue generating sports, maybe it's different if the sport is an individual one like tennis/golf/diving, where one really dominant player can put a program on the map. I wouldn't know. But in soccer, as a team sport with 20-30 players on a roster, even programs like UCLA can't dole out multiple full rides without it costing them big time in terms of getting other top players to commit.
We had a 4-year full-ride 100% athletic scholarship at a P5 school, signed, sealed and delivered. It does happen but EXTREMELY rare.

We had a 4-year full-ride 100% athletic scholarship at a P5 school, signed, sealed and delivered. It does happen but EXTREMELY rare.

Yes. As I wrote up-thread (https://socalsoccer.com/threads/recruiting-tips-for-parents-just-starting-the-process.42/post-444154). And it happens at building and elite P5 schools alike even as the elite programs are chock full of YNT players but, obviously, it cannot happen with many on a given roster - the math just doesn't work. If the NCAA ever requires fulls for all (like it does for the headcount sports of football, M/W hoops, W tennis, W gymnastics and W volleyball), we will see a lot of athletic departments shrinking.

Yes, it is very rare so should not be something that is expected. Most will be disappointed and frustrated instead of realizing the partial offer they received is typical. Keep your grades up as there is other academic money that can often be added in and often coaches increase scholarship amounts over the years when they have $ that gets freed up and players are doing well for the team.

Deion Sanders looks for ‘dual parent’ homes in QB recruits, ‘single mama’ households in defensive linemen.....

Deion knows what he's talking about. I had three soccer Docs tell me the coaches look at the mama of the player to see what the future will look like. I told my wife to get in the gym and lose 30lbs before she comes to the showcases.....lol.

With coaches always telling their recruits and parents to not share their info, how do you know for sure they were at 100% short of sharing their NLI with you. If they did, the next question is why kids and parents share. Just a good way to cause problems in the future.

With coaches always telling their recruits and parents to not share their info, how do you know for sure they were at 100% short of sharing their NLI with you. If they did, the next question is why kids and parents share. Just a good way to cause problems in the future.
I was told by a Doc that my dd deal was "hush hush and don't tell anyone, shhhhhhh" because no one ever got a deal like her and other parents would get jealous. TMs get this info as well and they do tell and gossip. I think it sucks to be all "hush hush" by that's just moo. Transparency is the best way to do this. It's tough on a dad like me because so many parents had way more $$$$ to pay to play and "leap" a head of the line bro and get their kids on these lists. Soon all will be xposed!

I’m talking about my own DD - there was no sharing of the info - the NLI was sent to us for signatures

I was told by a Doc that my dd deal was "hush hush and don't tell anyone, shhhhhhh" because no one ever got a deal like her and other parents would get jealous. TMs get this info as well and they do tell and gossip. I think it sucks to be all "hush hush" by that's just moo. Transparency is the best way to do this. It's tough on a dad like me because so many parents had way more $$$$ to pay to play and "leap" a head of the line bro and get their kids on these lists. Soon all will be xposed!

The DOC was probably right. I also have never heard of someone paying a club in Europe to play "professional" soccer. The last time I checked, the clubs typically paid the players, not the other way around.

I’m talking about my own DD - there was no sharing of the info - the NLI was sent to us for signatures
Man I'm getting old. Somehow I completely misread a couple messages. First, congrats. Second, do you worry at all about sharing the offer with people? Even with some of the people I private message here and know who their kids are and they know mine, I don't share that, mainly because my wife told me the coach said not to share it, and I've learned to listen to her. ;) That is another thing, I've never even spoke to the head coach. I'll miss that about college as I've always enjoyed talking soccer with my daughters coaches.

For anyone with 2023's, there are still some colleges looking for players. Good luck.

Deion Sanders looks for ‘dual parent’ homes in QB recruits, ‘single mama’ households in defensive linemen.....

Deion knows what he's talking about. I had three soccer Docs tell me the coaches look at the mama of the player to see what the future will look like. I told my wife to get in the gym and lose 30lbs before she comes to the showcases.....lol.

I had to send this to my daughter. So funny yet so true!

Man I'm getting old. Somehow I completely misread a couple messages. First, congrats. Second, do you worry at all about sharing the offer with people? Even with some of the people I private message here and know who their kids are and they know mine, I don't share that, mainly because my wife told me the coach said not to share it, and I've learned to listen to her. ;) That is another thing, I've never even spoke to the head coach. I'll miss that about college as I've always enjoyed talking soccer with my daughters coaches.

For anyone with 2023's, there are still some colleges looking for players. Good luck.
First, this is an anonymous forum for the most part, second, we have shared with family and friends but not really discussed in the soccer arena with teammates and other soccer parents. Third, there are more details to our situation that I don't share to keep things private. Yes, there is all this secrecy about your arrangements which is pretty dumb. I guess it is like at work when you're not supposed to share what you are getting paid for your job. The players know more about each other's scholarship situations than they let on.

First, this is an anonymous forum for the most part, second, we have shared with family and friends but not really discussed in the soccer arena with teammates and other soccer parents. Third, there are more details to our situation that I don't share to keep things private. Yes, there is all this secrecy about your arrangements which is pretty dumb. I guess it is like at work when you're not supposed to share what you are getting paid for your job. The players know more about each other's scholarship situations than they let on.
California's new transparency law is starting to make things interesting here with work.

I have joked on here that sharing info with Grandpa meant everyone was going to find out. You are probably right about the players eventually finding out, I'm just trying to keep my head down and stay out of things as she gets ready to start her first year.

The DOC was probably right. I also have never heard of someone paying a club in Europe to play "professional" soccer. The last time I checked, the clubs typically paid the players, not the other way around.

Do you think that European academies are blind to the revenue that comes from affluent American families willing to pay to be part of a pseudo professional team? Times are changing. Corruption in soccer is not exclusive to the US.

A couple of naive questions for those who have been through the process:

- are scholarships typically negotiated based on $ value or percentage of full scholarship?

- if percentage, is it typically an overall % of full ride or separate % for tuition and room & board, etc.?

If you are American Indian and using soccer to get college, you are doing it wrong. Try Dartmouth Home | Native American Program (dartmouth.edu)
(you need to look up Dartmouth charter)
If you are none of that and get 800 math SAT (when SAT mattered) you stand less than 50% chance of getting in.

Yeah after a near genocide, generations of oppresssion, and cultural erasure you would think American Indians would have the audacity to get into college on their merit. Little Karen's soccer scholarship is a real apt comparision for this, bravo buddy!

A couple of naive questions for those who have been through the process:

- are scholarships typically negotiated based on $ value or percentage of full scholarship?

- if percentage, is it typically an overall % of full ride or separate % for tuition and room & board, etc.?
When my daughter verbally committed back in June 2022, they told my daughter and wife a percentage, who called me to confirm and I said heck yah. The head coach followed up with a text to my daughter verifying what they had talked about.

Forward to November 2022, my daughter got an email with her NLI offer, signed by the head coach and the AD. Page 2 was Athletics Grant in Aid Agreement that included a matrix that has rows titled Full, Partial, Other, plus columns that had Tuition & Fees, R&B, NRT, USHIP, Orientation Fee, Books, and Total. This was then filled out.

Every school has a different format. When you are discussing and an offer has been made, make sure you clarify what is and isn't included so no surprises later.

Good luck.

Reactions: Yak
Back