How’s the 2024-2025 season going?

Does it mean that this tournament does not mean much to the players and coaches? Since HBK had most of their top players playing, they should not play as hard? Same with Legends who played their top players? The revamped Blues roster should not be taken seriously (surprisingly did well)? Mustang traveled with their full roster? Come on, these girls are all competitive and they would go for the win. Should there be an asterisk on this tournament?
If Surf isn't going to take their own tournament seriously something else will take Surf Cups place.

Now that college soccer teams need to make $$$ to exist I could see a college like UCLA putting on youth soccer tournaments during the summer. What better way to make a bunch of money and have all the top recruits come to you. Combine a tournament with a sleepover camp in the dorms and they could make even more $$$.

Does it mean that this tournament does not mean much to the players and coaches? Since HBK had most of their top players playing, they should not play as hard? Same with Legends who played their top players? The revamped Blues roster should not be taken seriously (surprisingly did well)? Mustang traveled with their full roster? Come on, these girls are all competitive and they would go for the win. Should there be an asterisk on this tournament?
Legends is figuring things out with their new additions. For example, the first game they played opened with an experimental roster and then second half went with their playoff roster.

I can’t speak about koge as I haven’t spoken to parents from that team.

Blues I can reasonably say that they’re in rebuild mode so RH is likely trying to see what he has on his team and is playing his aces.

Pats are rebuilt and are trying to win, but didn’t have the outcome they wanted this weekend.

Like one coach told his parents. And I’m paraphrasing here: we’re going to give players the opportunity to make a case for themselves on the roster and everyone will get a fair shot. But if we make it to Monday, we’re playing to win at that point.

I think some coaches are trying to win, but I think others are looking more towards strategic growth rather than short term results.

But you’re right, for the kids playing and the parents paying and taking the time to go, it does mean something for them. But these coaches are playing chess and you’d be kidding yourself if you don’t think these coaches put too much thought about the outcomes of these games.

Last edited:
If Surf isn't going to take their own tournament seriously something else will take Surf Cups place.

Now that college soccer teams need to make $$$ to exist I could see a college like UCLA putting on youth soccer tournaments during the summer. What better way to make a bunch of money and have all the top recruits come to you. Combine a tournament with a sleepover camp in the dorms and they could make even more $$$.
I'm not sure if they are not taking their own tournament seriously, 10's, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's are all represented to play tomorrow.

UCLA camp would be money grab, heck sign me up! lol

Bench players are competitive and want to win too. Surf went with their starting lineup. Rotated the bench in, but kept some core players on the field.

Legends is figuring things out with their new additions. For example, the first game they played opened with an experimental roster and then second half went with their playoff roster.

I can’t speak about koge as I haven’t spoken to parents from that team.

Blues I can reasonably say that they’re in rebuild mode so RH is likely trying to see what he has on his team and is playing his aces.

Pats are rebuilt and are trying to win, but didn’t have the outcome they wanted this weekend.

But you’re right, for the kids playing and the parents paying and taking the time to go, it does mean something for them. But these coaches are playing chess and you’d be kidding yourself if you don’t think these coaches put too much thought about the outcomes of these games.
With many former Blues players in that Legends team, it should be an easier transition and we hope that there will be good chemistry. I watched part of the 2nd of half of that game and they played the best players in their strongest positions. I was expecting the worst for the Blues, but I was wrong.

HBK are missing 3 players from playoffs and one of their new players, but given that they are THE champs, we'd expect more. My DD would say, it's HIM.

Pats, I just don't think they have it (would have been nice to see them in the best of the best bracket)... just my opinion.

Blues, I thought they no longer should be in the top bracket given the turnover of players, but they have some decent players, they could be just 1-2 good signing away.

True that the coaches maybe aren't putting so much into these games since this is the time for coaches to experiment heading into the new season. But once the players are on the field, they would go for all out.

What an excellent idea!

I'm not sure if they are not taking their own tournament seriously, 10's, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's are all represented to play tomorrow.

UCLA camp would be money grab, heck sign me up! lol
That many age groups making it to the semis is impressive.

I pressed some of the Surf parents on the "bench players + injures" responses because what was said was BS. Lose as gracefully as you win. Let the teams that beat you have their moment.

Personally win or lose I like the opportunity to play top teams that you don't always get to play during the season. It's nice to control your own destiny so to speak with rankings. It's much more satisfying to know that you played against the top teams and the results directly affected your ranking.

That many age groups making it to the semis is impressive.

I pressed some of the Surf parents on the "bench players + injures" responses because what was said was BS. Lose as gracefully as you win. Let the teams that beat you have their moment.

Personally win or lose I like the opportunity to play top teams that you don't always get to play during the season. It's nice to control your own destiny so to speak with rankings. It's much more satisfying to know that you played against the top teams and the results directly affected your ranking.
100% agree with you. It also discredits the "bench players" who stepped up when called upon. With Surf moving to the semis and potentially winning it, that just means they are a really good squad.

Inferior? That 10’s team is solid they don’t need her for the regular ecnl season. That team right now next to Surf has the most 🇺🇸 national team player candidates in SoCal.
@Luis Andres Legends added more players in their roster. What's their (2010) roster count? Where did the rest go or will it be a big roster?

What an excellent idea!
I've never understood why GA and ECNL don't work with colleges and have events or maybe just individual games on college campuses.

If the goal is to get in front of college coaches why make the coaches go to you? Go to them by playing on their fields.

I've never understood why GA and ECNL don't work with colleges and have events or maybe just individual games on college campuses.

If the goal is to get in front of college coaches why make the coaches go to you? Go to them by playing on their fields.
Colleges aren’t allowed to host invitational identification events. This is why the ID camps are officially open to anyone who pays.

It’s kind of unfair to the families of low skill kids. Why cash the check if you already know the kid has no chance? But that’s not how the rule works.

Colleges aren’t allowed to host invitational identification events. This is why the ID camps are officially open to anyone who pays.

It’s kind of unfair to the families of low skill kids. Why cash the check if you already know the kid has no chance? But that’s not how the rule works.
NCAA has stupid rules. What are they going to do?

Now that players are getting a piece of the action are they going to fine Colleges for hosting events to fund their teams?

Camps, tournaments, and parking make more $$$ than selling tickets.

Did shark/Legends SD pick up and Legends players? Sharks/Legends SD seemed to do well in this tournament.
That would be my guess. It's why I told everyone when the dust settles and the big games are on the line, Legends SD will be in the finals of many tournaments and will most likely be a top 5 contender, moo! Legends is now all of SoCal and NoCal. Surf does the same thing but more natonally. I just heard (I won't say what team for privacy) about a 7 year old moving from the mid-west to be on one of these super teams. Big and fast and playing up a couple years. I would add Slammers to the socal super teams. What happened to my not to early #1 Legends?

That would be my guess. It's why I told everyone when the dust settles and the big games are on the line, Legends SD will be in the finals of many tournaments and will most likely be a top 5 contender, moo! Legends is now all of SoCal and NoCal. Surf does the same thing but more natonally. I just heard (I won't say what team for privacy) about a 7 year old moving from the mid-west to be on one of these super teams. Big and fast and playing up a couple years. I would add Slammers to the socal super teams. What happened to my not to early #1 Legends?
you need to put that crack pipe down Crush! Your saying a 7 year old is going to play with the 2010's?

Back