How’s the 2024-2025 season going?

How is Top Hat supposed to play other top teams? Almost all of our events are ECNL only.

A little bit of cross league play would help.
It would make sense to have a handful of GA teams attend ECNL showcases and a handful of ECNL teams attend GA showcases + rotate the teams.

Since you don't really "win" anything at showcases it would be a good way to shake everything up and make things exciting playing new and different teams.

If all the same recruiters are attending both leagues showcase events and there's multiple showcases events per year whats the difference which one your team attends?

Might also be a good way to avoid some travel costs if the other league is holding their event closer to where you live.

Judging from how ruthless the youth soccer business has become I doubt anything like what I suggested would ever happen. However it is the type of thing that builds bridges which is helpful for when groups like ECNL want to switch back to school grade groupings or when working together to make things easier for recruiters.

How is Top Hat supposed to play other top teams? Almost all of our events are ECNL only.

A little bit of cross league play would help.
That answer is simple, play in big tournaments where ECNL teams attend:

Surf Cup
Susa Columbus Weekend
Jefferson Cup
Supercopa
Dallas Texans Internationals
PDA Girls College Showcase

We could make a long list if we wanted to continue. I mean, even just calling coaches from those ecnl teams and asking, hey, what events are you going to? We’d like to attend.

That answer is simple, play in big tournaments where ECNL teams attend:

Surf Cup
Susa Columbus Weekend
Jefferson Cup
Supercopa
Dallas Texans Internationals
PDA Girls College Showcase

We could make a long list if we wanted to continue. I mean, even just calling coaches from those ecnl teams and asking, hey, what events are you going to? We’d like to attend.
It's not quite that simple.

Both ECNL and GA mandate that clubs attend league games and events (showcases, playoffs, finales, etc). Parents foot the bill for this in their club fees.

If you want to participate in big tournaments each one costs $$$ on top of the GA ECNL fees. The net affect is that as players get older u15+ top teams don't participate in tournaments as much. This makes it hard for clubs like Top Hat to go head hunting.

To maintain the current ranking Top Hat will be forced to blow out teams in the GA southeast league.

I’m
Who said there is anything about inclusivity in the USYNT selection process? When people use the word "woke" it's usually completely baseless, dumb and unnecessarily brings in politics to a conversation that has nothing to do with politics.
Easy there, Mr. Rainbow Unicorn! 🦄🌈 Didn’t mean to pop your magical bubble! I get it...it’s a delicate matter for you, prancing around on your cloud of glitter and good vibes… But hey, not everything’s sunshine and sprinkles. Sometimes you’ve got to step off that rainbow and see things as they really are, sparkles or not! Don’t worry, though, no one’s trying to steal your glitter wand, my friend! 😄💫

Both ECNL and GA mandate that clubs attend league games and events (showcases, playoffs, finales, etc). Parents foot the bill for this in their club fees.

If you want to participate in big tournaments each one costs $$$ on top of the GA ECNL fees. The net affect is that as players get older u15+ top teams don't participate in tournaments as much. This makes it hard for clubs like Top Hat to go head hunting.

To maintain the current ranking Top Hat will be forced to blow out teams in the GA southeast league.
Are any clubs, coaches, scouts or even colleges taking the ranking app serious or is it just us parents? I really wonder at times.

Are any clubs, coaches, scouts or even colleges taking the ranking app serious or is it just us parents? I really wonder at times.
I believe clubs, coaches, and recruiters all glance at it every now and then to see which teams / clubs are hot and which are not.

It does a nice job for seeding tournaments.

But I doubt anyone important is fooled by a string of 10-0 wins against nobodies. You need to play some top 20 teams if you want to be taken seriously.

I know how it works… the question that was asked was how are these clubs and teams like Top Hat supposed to get cross league play and that’s the answer. But in reality, those parents don’t care and the club is happy because they win whatever they enter and are top of GA. They’re not up for the challenge of putting their belt up or being exposed as being inferior. Why risk going up against a Surf, Koge, Legends, MVLA and get embarrassed?

We see this with some SoCal NPL teams who do the same type of activities. Never enter blues cup, surf cup or any slammers tournaments.

If they wanted the smoke, they’d figure out a way. You’re already in GA. You’re already used to spending money. I don’t think they’d care much for their wallet traveling to Texas, or somewhere on the East coast for any of the tournaments I listed.

I know how it works… the question that was asked was how are these clubs and teams like Top Hat supposed to get cross league play and that’s the answer. But in reality, those parents don’t care and the club is happy because they win whatever they enter and are top of GA. They’re not up for the challenge of putting their belt up or being exposed as being inferior. Why risk going up against a Surf, Koge, Legends, MVLA and get embarrassed?

We see this with some SoCal NPL teams who do the same type of activities. Never enter blues cup, surf cup or any slammers tournaments.

If they wanted the smoke, they’d figure out a way. You’re already in GA. You’re already used to spending money. I don’t think they’d care much for their wallet traveling to Texas, or somewhere on the East coast for any of the tournaments I listed.
You're always free to go Atlanta and play TH if you want.

I don't think they're afraid to play any of the teams in Socal. I also believe they'd win more than they'd lose if they came out to California for something like Surf Cup.

Unfortunately at this point we'll likely never know because cross league events for top teams happen very rarely after u15.

You're always free to go Atlanta and play TH if you want.

I don't think they're afraid to play any of the teams in Socal. I also believe they'd win more than they'd lose if they came out to California for something like Surf Cup.

Unfortunately at this point we'll likely never know because cross league events for top teams happen very rarely after u15.
Don’t need to. We have the best talent and teams in the country here in SoCal. Unfortunately top hat doesn’t have the same luxury

In NorCal, if you look at the top 10 clubs on the girl's side you have:

1 - MVLA (ECNL)
2 - San Juan (ECNL)
3 - Mustangs (ECNL)
4 - Lamorinda (GA)
5 - Placer United (ECNL)
6 - Bay Area Surf (ECNL)
7 - Odyssey (NPL)
8 - South Valley Surf (GA)
9 - Almaden (GA)
10 - Davis Legacy (ECNL)

Club ranking makes it much easier to reason about which clubs are truly emphasizing their entire program. The above really should be the make up of ECNL (or whatever you want to call it) up here in NorCal. It would help make all the players better in the end. Plus it would get ECNL out into the central valley.

Any storylines from this weekend other than there were some hot ass games played!!
Lots of ties.

HBK scoring 5 goals on Slammers is surprising.

I'm rooting for Eagles this year to do better, but they seem to be lacking another player or two.

Blues tying both Az teams in over 100-degree weather. Fair result?

Now off to SD Showcase!

Lots of ties.

HBK scoring 5 goals on Slammers is surprising.

I'm rooting for Eagles this year to do better, but they seem to be lacking another player or two.

Blues tying both Az teams in over 100-degree weather. Fair result?

Now off to SD Showcase!
Anyone know what's happening with Slammers this season? Giving up 5 goals to Koge and 4 to Legends is not normal for this team. I expected them to play more competitively vs the top teams. I had them as the 4th best team in Socal but not sure anymore... Could they beat Eagles or Beach today?

interesting that Legends is not participating in the ECNL SD Showcase. Also what's up with this stupid Cup thing they are doing? It makes no sense. Every Conference has different age groups participating. Some have playoffs bids, some don't. It makes zero sense, Southwest is for 2011 and 2012 only. And another thing. How are we almost half way done with league and we still don't have a rulebook or a playoff structure?

interesting that Legends is not participating in the ECNL SD Showcase. Also what's up with this stupid Cup thing they are doing? It makes no sense. Every Conference has different age groups participating. Some have playoffs bids, some don't. It makes zero sense, Southwest is for 2011 and 2012 only. And another thing. How are we almost half way done with league and we still don't have a rulebook or a playoff structure?

Might be that 2008s and 2009s already do more showcases, because their kids are trying to get minutes in front of scouts. So the 12s have time for League Cup, but the 08s don't.

Couldn't tell you why this logic applies to some regions more than others.

Might be that 2008s and 2009s already do more showcases, because their kids are trying to get minutes in front of scouts. So the 12s have time for League Cup, but the 08s don't.

Couldn't tell you why this logic applies to some regions more than others.
It might have to do with the fact from 2010 and older, the girls have high school soccer, and this was something to fill in those months? That would make sense for the 11’s and 12’s.

Tophat is 4th in the Nation again. For doing what? The best team they played was 148. Playing teams ranked 300, 400. Come on with that rankings app.
People don't understand statistics - and believe that if they see an example they don't like, all of the rest must also be wrong. Come on with the adult population believing they understand math and probabilities better than they actually do.

I like the rankings app too and its normally pretty close but when it does things like this your like ummm ok. For all the socal teams the predictor is pretty well on each game.

Here's another one. Galaxy GA. #17 in the nation. Played West Coast GA and lost. Played FRAM GA and tied 1-1. Lost to Kansas GA ranked 347 in the nation but they are #17. Makes zero sense. Sorry but any GA team in the top 30 in the nation right now is nonsense. Yeah its a bummer these teams never come out here to play in tournaments. Seeing what happens to teams like Charlotte ECNL in ECNL playoffs every year I don't blame them.

All of the ratings are continuously optimized to make it most likely that it will successfully predict the outcome of the next game. This measure (predictivity), is exactly what is tracked over time, with any of the parameters for game history timing, affect of scoring deltas, being tweaked to keep that number as high as possible. This is done over thousands and thousands of games. 1 or 2 (or 100) examples we can point to where something unexpected happened isn't "proof" that it isn't working, it's basically doing exactly what it's being asked. For that Galaxy GA vs Kansas GA game, SR predicted that Galaxy would win 82% of the time, only lose 12% of the time, and should win 5-0. Yet when the game was played, it showed a massive difference from the prediction - and Kansas did end up winning. This doesn't make it a "shake my head, SR is full of crap" moment, it makes it a moment where sports isn't entirely predictable, and strange things are expected to happen from time to time.

galaxy ga game.jpg

TopHat 2010 is a common punching bag on this site, as they are very highly rated, and are in a bracket where they completely and utterly dominate their competition. Remember, ultimately these ratings are intended to predict whether this team will beat that team when they face eachother. And for TopHat, like all teams, they are predicting their game outcomes exactly as expected.

Here's the overview:

top hat overall.jpg

Currently 7th highest rating in the country, playing a schedule where the average team they face is #102 in the country. Here's their recent game history:

top hat game history.jpg

And here's what their bracket looks like. They are utterly dominant, at 11-0, while the 2nd place team is showing 5-1 and over 2.5 goals weaker according to SR.

top hat ga bracket.png

Add me to the long list of people who think it would be great if all of the teams saying (or at least believing), they are highly competitive at the national level, would actually get to face each other at the national level. Put me also on the other list of people who seem to understand all of the competing reasons why this doesn't happen.

Back