How’s the 2024-2025 season going?

How did Slammers FC ECNL teams become so good and better? Their G12, G13, G14 are just light-outs. I believe coaching plays a role, but at these ages, it's mainly about player recruitment year over year. What are they offering that other clubs aren't to attract top players?
Location, population density, a strong ECNL regional league, multiple Slammers teams funneling into the top teams, strong recruiting from clubs around them, and Socal high level player parents have no issue driving an hour+ each way for practices and games.

It's not magic it's long term consistency (and location) which over time generates results

Location, population density, a strong ECNL regional league, multiple Slammers teams funneling into the top teams, strong recruiting from clubs around them, and Socal high level player parents have no issue driving an hour+ each way for practices and games.

It's not magic it's long term consistency (and location) which over time generates results

Yes, Slammers FC is a sizable and brand club in SoCal, but the listed reasons above could apply to multiple clubs in SoCal. There appears to be some extra factors in play here... such as do they have first player awareness via Toque Futsal as the working pipeline versus other big clubs in the recent years and/or any other "moneyball" kind of concept to mention...

Yes, Slammers FC is a sizable and brand club in SoCal, but the listed reasons above could apply to multiple clubs in SoCal. There appears to be some extra factors in play here... such as do they have first player awareness via Toque Futsal as the working pipeline versus other big clubs in the recent years and/or any other "moneyball" kind of concept to mention...
Honestly I think it's just talented players, quality coaching, and engaged parents that are pushing to be the best.

My kid has been on teams where 1 or 2 of the things listed above are missing and everything falls apart.

Extremely disappointed in the quality of fields at the SD ECNL Showcase. I thought ECNL had standards. Surf Sports of whoever manages these fields should be ashamed. Having teams travel to play on this crap is a shame. Half dirt and half grass. Impossible to make a clean pass as it goes from dirt to grass to dirt. Girls getting hurt all over the place. Yellow cards all over the place because the crap fields lead to boot ball and balls bouncing all over the place. Absolutely unacceptable. There are a couple great fields and the rest are absolutely unacceptable. They didn’t even bother re-striping them for the showcase.
I haven't posted in a loooooong time, but I couldn't resist this one. The fields were flat out embarrassing. ECNL and Surf Cup Sports should be ashamed.

I haven't posted in a loooooong time, but I couldn't resist this one. The fields were flat out embarrassing. ECNL and Surf Cup Sports should be ashamed.
100% agree.

I you question the results on the Surf, MVLA, Solar, HBK games, it's partly due to the terrible fields.

Slammers (HBK) seems to be most successful at recruiting high-level talent away from other clubs... Seems that at least one of their newest formed NL teams has half-ish (or a little more) home-grown Slammers kids and then the rest kids recruited (poached?) from DPL/GA/rival clubs... and most likely the kids are willing to come because Slammers HBK produces a fair amount of players who eventually get to play soccer at the D1 level, which for most girls seems to be the end goal.

Pretty sure Blues recruits just as much but they aren't getting the talent that HBK is getting recently....

100% agree.

I you question the results on the Surf, MVLA, Solar, HBK games, it's partly due to the terrible fields.
Oh, I don't know. Some fields were not stellar, but did this reveal in the result in any game? I did not see it as an overarching influence. MVLA seemed to do what they do, with maybe not integrating support to the wide left when in possession. HBK did what they do. Surf did what they could given the available players. Solar? I am not familiar with their style to be a judge of field effect. They were dynamic but maybe somewhat isolated in full field integration. Good at set pieces.

Oh, I don't know. Some fields were not stellar, but did this reveal in the result in any game? I did not see it as an overarching influence. MVLA seemed to do what they do, with maybe not integrating support to the wide left when in possession. HBK did what they do. Surf did what they could given the available players. Solar? I am not familiar with their style to be a judge of field effect. They were dynamic but maybe somewhat isolated in full field integration. Good at set pieces.
It possibly could. Fields 4, 5, 6. 7 & 8 were really bad. I am not entirely sure how the game could have gone but both teams are playing on a terrible field.

100% agree.

Both teams playing in the same condition so no, that cannot be used as a reason for any outcome. Everyone needs to understand that showcases are also the time where coaches try new things, line ups, formations, positions, etc. No bearing games aka expensive scrimmages....one cannot judge a team from just results of these matches....

Both teams playing in the same condition so no, that cannot be used as a reason for any outcome. Everyone needs to understand that showcases are also the time where coaches try new things, line ups, formations, positions, etc. No bearing games aka expensive scrimmages....one cannot judge a team from just results of these matches....

Bad grass fields do impact games in several ways. Below are the main observations from my playing days and recent experiences:
  • If one team plays more tiki-taka passing soccer versus the other, their effectiveness is reduced with poor grass conditions.
  • If one team plays more physical soccer versus the other, it benefits them because the balls are bouncier and more often out of control, making it easier for the physical team to fight for possession.
  • If one team is used to having practices and games on Artificial Turf (AG) versus the other, it harms them more on grass fields, especially bad ones. Many teams from NorCal practice and play mostly on AG fields, so bad grass fields are their worst nightmare.
Of course, this only matters when two teams are closely matched, making a slight difference and benefiting during the match.

Bad grass fields do impact games in several ways. Below are the main observations from my playing days and recent experiences:
  • If one team plays more tiki-taka passing soccer versus the other, their effectiveness is reduced with poor grass conditions.
  • If one team plays more physical soccer versus the other, it benefits them because the balls are bouncier and more often out of control, making it easier for the physical team to fight for possession.
  • If one team is used to having practices and games on Artificial Turf (AG) versus the other, it harms them more on grass fields, especially bad ones. Many teams from NorCal practice and play mostly on AG fields, so bad grass fields are their worst nightmare.
Of course, this only matters when two teams are closely matched, making a slight difference and benefiting during the match.
Then the team adjusts. Not saying it is acceptable that fields are in bad condition but still NOT AN EXCUSE or REASON! NOPE!

Then the team adjusts. Not saying it is acceptable that fields are in bad condition but still NOT AN EXCUSE or REASON! NOPE!
lol, please explain to how else to adjust on a field with scattered patches of sand, patches of thick grass and just uneven?

It’s an even playing field, but it DOES impact the game.

Agreed, and this should not be the main talking point when losing teams reflect on how they could improve and prepare for next time.

The more important issue here is that these bad grass fields are detrimental to young players and increase the risk of serious injuries as they fight for out-of-control balls on uneven surfaces. Definitely not a good idea to put the players through these matches there!

Does your coach have certain fields he likes for the important matches? Ours certainly does.

Blame the field for the result? Never. But choose a field which gives his team the best odds? Absolutely.

Does your coach have certain fields he likes for the important matches? Ours certainly does.

Blame the field for the result? Never. But choose a field which gives his team the best odds? Absolutely.
Ok but that is not the issue...the coaches didn't have a choice. Don't go to the ECNL showcase in SD. There are others. youngers are only required 1 showcase. Go to Arizona.

Back