Get ready folks

What's coming is the adjustment to, basically, graduation year. Not July 31 cutoff. Being voted on at the end of November by US Soccer although it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal.
Ridiculous idea as you will now have players with 2 year age gaps playing together because someone was held back a year or started school late. Makes it easy for college recruiting but US Soccer doesn't care about that.
It will cause teams to blowup. Again. Worst idea in the history of bad ideas by US Soccer. But it sounds like it's coming.

If they go with straight graduation, you’re going to have parents (and coaches) hold kids back so their kid can win games.

Just what we need. A 10 year old playing against 8 year olds, while his dad yells at him to “be aggressive”.

i still don't understand the need to go back to your school year. I keep hearing these "trapped" players but again all the "trapped" players I'm around are in a great position. Its like they have an extra year for everything. They are getting extra year for scouts looking at them on their 2010 club team. How is this a bad thing. If your on a 2010 team right now with 9th graders and your 8th grade your going to get an extra year of coaches looking at you. How is that a disadvantage for them? All the 9th graders on the team are fighting for a spot on varsity right now in high school and they are chilling getting extra training etc. because they are in 8th grade. Please explain why these trapped players have this massive disadvantage and we need to change everything up because of it? If your going to tell me they get screwed their senior year or last year of club save it because the good players were locked in for college their sophomore or latest junior year and who cares about senior year of high school or last year of club. This change must be a way to make more money somehow. There's no way its being done for the kids benefit.

There is a certain way to train for soccer agility and it involves different drills that do not involve track or American Football movement dynamics. For example the dynamics of running Track, American football and soccer differentiate quite a bit. Soccer you need to run with arms sideways because of maintaining proper balance. Also in soccer you do not need to focus on straight line running like in track. A track player does not train the same agility exercises as an American football player. Same goes with soccer. Seems like he is teaching a mesh of Track, American Football with these specific drills, sprinkled with some final dribbling around poles for a shot at the end. Doing the wrong drills will build bad habits because you are working on the wrong dynamics when it comes to soccer. While sure these drills will make you a better athlete, you want to do the ones specific to soccer strength & agility. I see many athletic trainers using the wrong dynamics for soccer. I saw this especially in Texas. In CA its a lot better.
As a US track coach that is also involved in youth soccer I can confidently say that most soccer coaches don't know how to train and develope speed and agility. It's a shame.

There is nothing special about soccer. Sprint mechanics is sprint mechanics regardless of sports. +90% of the game is played without the ball.

You get a few kids that work on sprint mechanics, agility, and ankle stiffness. Their athleticism will be noticeable better than their peers who are flat footed. I have seen this first hand. Same soccer skills but the fast player makes the team.

As a US track coach that is also involved in youth soccer I can confidently say that most soccer coaches don't know how to train and develope speed and agility. It's a shame.

There is nothing special about soccer. Sprint mechanics is sprint mechanics regardless of sports. +90% of the game is played without the ball.

You get a few kids that work on sprint mechanics, agility, and ankle stiffness. Their athleticism will be noticeable better than their peers who are flat footed. I have seen this first hand. Same soccer skills but the fast player makes the team.

exactly

If the game is kick ball, then yes, 100%. Possession style, not so much.

If they go with straight graduation, you’re going to have parents (and coaches) hold kids back so their kid can win games.

Just what we need. A 10 year old playing against 8 year olds, while his dad yells at him to “be aggressive”.
It is still within a year. They change it from 1/1 to 12/31 to 8/1 to 7/31. This will better align school grades, so it is easy for college recruiting, which is ECNL's main selling point.

It is still within a year. They change it from 1/1 to 12/31 to 8/1 to 7/31. This will better align school grades, so it is easy for college recruiting, which is ECNL's main selling point.
That makes much more sense. Is there a link to the proposal?

Thanks.

Tell that to spain.

Athletes with speed Nico William and Yamal have made Spain actually competitive. Two of the fastest young players out there. Spain can actually score now.

Or go back and watch Morocco use their speed to beat the US national team in the Olympics 4-0

That makes much more sense. Is there a link to the proposal?

Thanks.
LoL absolutely not - this will all be back-room until the very last possible second and announcement. The last thing these businesses want is for the customers to know their intent before they have a plan. Maybe they might want to do some Customer research and get some feedback? No way! Not how these cronies work.

Look around you, and whatever parents feel like they can scheme and get ahead with the little nuggets of information they have? they sure will in the interest of their own kid.

I've already heard of ECNL coaches holding grade-level (8/1 to 7/31) based group sessions. Are you invited? If not, you should start asking.

LoL absolutely not - this will all be back-room until the very last possible second and announcement. The last thing these businesses want is for the customers to know their intent before they have a plan. Maybe they might want to do some Customer research and get some feedback? No way! Not how these cronies work.

Look around you, and whatever parents feel like they can scheme and get ahead with the little nuggets of information they have? they sure will in the interest of their own kid.

I've already heard of ECNL coaches holding grade-level (8/1 to 7/31) based group sessions. Are you invited? If not, you should start asking.
I heard Surf held a parent meeting before last week's game.

How important is sprinting in soccer? Depends on how high a level you want to play. The Premier League is by far the most sprint intensive.

1*htBym2WKrtpx7vUg-bIuzA.png

1*5KPSIXvrLv7E-ZPNjXIC9g.png

i still don't understand the need to go back to your school year. I keep hearing these "trapped" players but again all the "trapped" players I'm around are in a great position. Its like they have an extra year for everything. They are getting extra year for scouts looking at them on their 2010 club team. How is this a bad thing. If your on a 2010 team right now with 9th graders and your 8th grade your going to get an extra year of coaches looking at you. How is that a disadvantage for them? All the 9th graders on the team are fighting for a spot on varsity right now in high school and they are chilling getting extra training etc. because they are in 8th grade. Please explain why these trapped players have this massive disadvantage and we need to change everything up because of it? If your going to tell me they get screwed their senior year or last year of club save it because the good players were locked in for college their sophomore or latest junior year and who cares about senior year of high school or last year of club. This change must be a way to make more money somehow. There's no way its being done for the kids benefit.
Maybe go back to the begining of the thread and read it again. Trapped players have disadvantages in 8th Grade, 9th Grade, 10th Grade 11th Grade, 12th Grade. What problems are caused for players by having the year groups defined by Grade Year?

That won't work.
what I'm saying is all these NIL judgments and NCAA changes is making it harder and harder for kids to get into a college and play their sport. If they make it too hard to get into college by playing a sport/grades then kids will forget the sport part and just focus on grades which means all these ECNL leagues and all their money is going to go bye bye. Look at what happened this year with the roster rules. Poor kids that had verbal's years ago had them pulled and they had to start all over because when it came time to officially sign this year their roster spot was no more. Imagine if that was your kid.
Sports being a factor in Education is
what I'm saying is all these NIL judgments and NCAA changes is making it harder and harder for kids to get into a college and play their sport. If they make it too hard to get into college by playing a sport/grades then kids will forget the sport part and just focus on grades which means all these ECNL leagues and all their money is going to go bye bye. Look at what happened this year with the roster rules. Poor kids that had verbal's years ago had them pulled and they had to start all over because when it came time to officially sign this year their roster spot was no more. Imagine if that was your kid.
Imagine choosing a degree or school based on a game you play, and not on your academic interests or carrer potential.

Ridiculous idea as you will now have players with 2 year age gaps playing together because someone was held back a year or started school late. Makes it easy for college recruiting but US Soccer doesn't care about that.
How did you came to this conclusion? Moving the cut off day to July 31 from Jan 01 doesn't add more than 365 days to a year.

In terms of kids dropping out of soccer... Isn't this true not only for soccer but for a lot of youth sports... or even a lot of youth extracurricular activities (music, theatre, arts, etc) in general?

14 is a prime age... for wanting to hang out with the boys/girls... date... and not having to do those extra trainings... and go to sleep early on Friday nights... for an 8a games on Saturdays...
Yes, but nothing close to the extent of soccer.

Most kids that are good athletes, are going to take the opportunity to play multiple sports in high school in front of their friends instead of playing soccer year round in front their parents.

Most of my sons teammates on his U15 MLS Next team no longer play club soccer and about half have given up soccer entirely.

What's coming is the adjustment to, basically, graduation year. Not July 31 cutoff. Being voted on at the end of November by US Soccer although it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal.
It will cause teams to blowup. Again. Worst idea in the history of bad ideas by US Soccer. But it sounds like it's coming.
What do you mean by “basically graduation year” it would either be new month cut offs 8/1-7/31 or what grade is this kid in regardless of birth year. Two very different things. I know ECNL wants graduation year or what grade a kid is in. But haven’t heard of the governing bodies want to go along with that.

I’ve heard it would only be Grad Year for high school grades. Everything else would have new cut offs dates. But this is all up in the air until we hear what happens at us club soccer meeting in a few weeks.

I’ve heard it would only be Grad Year for high school grades. Everything else would have new cut offs dates. But this is all up in the air until we hear what happens at us club soccer meeting in a few weeks.

Works ok on the girls side.

I’m not so sure that a 13 year old boy who skipped a grade really belongs in the same division as 15 year olds who were held back. That ends up looking like the age bands you see in basketball. Kids will quit just because they don’t like getting smacked around every weekend.

Doubly bad if they keep their weak definitions of gender barriers. We’ll get on field collisions between 13 year old girls and 15 year old boys.

How did you came to this conclusion? Moving the cut off day to July 31 from Jan 01 doesn't add more than 365 days to a year.
Also different school districts across the nation have different cutoff dates for when kids start school.

It doesn't matter where you make the cutoff date there's going to be situations where there's trapped players. By changing from Jan 1st to Aug 1st there's just much less trapped players.

For me I don't care either way. Personally I think Jan 1st makes the most sense because everyone is currently in alignment with it.

Back