Get ready folks

I’ve already posted screenshots on this forum with emails directly from ECNL higher ups. Emails had the info before the recent ECNL podcast. Go back and check them out.

Again not saying this is happening 100% but it’s definitely leaning towards happening. Especially if USYS and US Club decide to align. Which they are in discussions.

I’ve already posted screenshots on this forum with emails directly from ECNL higher ups. Emails had the info before the recent ECNL podcast. Go back and check them out.

Again not saying this is happening 100% but it’s definitely leaning towards happening. Especially if USYS and US Club decide to align. Which they are in discussions.
Yea, I posted a link to where ECNL was begging/asking for support.

At least you're being honest and saying that this is a coin flip.

ECNLs issue is that they've been so aggressive expanding that other leagues generally discount anything they say.

However I recognize girls ECNL's current clout. Which means that there could be all kinds of non ECNL clubs that suddenly "water down" ie become ECNL that weren't ECNL before to make the change happen.

Yea, I posted a link to where ECNL was begging/asking for support.

At least you're being honest and saying that this is a coin flip.

ECNLs issue is that they've been so aggressive expanding that other leagues generally discount anything they say.

However I recognize girls ECNL's current clout. Which means that there could be all kinds of non ECNL clubs that suddenly "water down" ie become ECNL that weren't ECNL before to make the change happen.
I would say it sounds like a coin flip but ECNL and us club get two chances to guess right. USYS is discussing this with us club it sounds like it will happen. But I don’t guarantee anything until after the October meeting with US club. But with USYS on board that would heavily favor a change to new cut offs.

From a USSF Youth Council Member regarding changing back to school year.
Your marketing campaign for school grade groupings is strong.

But it's annoying that you keep dropping vague hints that could be from anyone. Then you try to blow them up like they're decrees from US Soccer.

I also like how you constantly associate back to your vague statements trying to make them sound like definitive truths.

Put another way... "Where's the Beef?"

For - this will be much easier for college recruiting , and trapped players are at a disadvantage in the current system

Against - this will be a logistical nightmare for clubs /associations even if you give them 9 months to prepare . Trapped players aren’t at a disadvantage at well run clubs during high school

Not sure I see the compelling argument for ECNL when the majority of youth soccer players aren’t going be playing college ball , but again I’ve been around long enough to know that’s not how things work . My guess is ECNL gets their way

I do understand the pain clubs /associations would have to go through to make these changes from an administrative standpoint , especially since these clubs have a lot of help on volunteer basis . I’m not sure that’s a compelling enough argument to not make the change back

Against - this will be a logistical nightmare for clubs /associations even if you give them 9 months to prepare . Trapped players aren’t at a disadvantage at well run clubs during high school
This is what I've been trying to say. If your good and your at a good club on a good team its an advantage to be a trapped player. Total advantage.

But it's annoying that you keep dropping vague hints that could be from anyone. Then you try to blow them up like they're decrees from US Soccer.

I also like how you constantly associate back to your vague statements trying to make them sound like definitive truths.

Just putting out the information I get from people. With some context. That is all. 😎

If I ever get info that is on the not wanting to switch back side I will post that as well. So far everything I’m hearing it’s leaning more towards yes. Still some hoops to jump through before it’s finalized.

For - this will be much easier for college recruiting , and trapped players are at a disadvantage in the current system

Not sure I see the compelling argument for ECNL when the majority of youth soccer players aren’t going be playing college ball , but again I’ve been around long enough to know that’s not how things work . My guess is ECNL gets their way

I do understand the pain clubs /associations would have to go through to make these changes from an administrative standpoint , especially since these clubs have a lot of help on volunteer basis . I’m not sure that’s a compelling enough argument to not make the change back

Perhaps they could revert to grade year for girls and stay with calendar year for boys? Olders can use a cutoff of October 1st, and youngers can use a cutoff of April 9th. Teams east of the Mississippi can rotate birth year/calendar on a 3 year cycle.

I was so naive thinking that youth soccer was just going thru growing pains 10 years ago and that things would sort out :eek: It's clear that those with the power at the moment benefit from the complexity and constant changes - making it difficult for all but the most diligent and economically blessed parents to navigate the systemt for the benefit their kids.

Wouldn't she be playing on a 2028 ECNL club team if the rule change happened? She's a 2028 in high school right now. I thought teams would be formed based on what high school graduation year you are?
So that's the farce... not everyone whose birthday fits into the 8/1-7/31 limits will share a grad year. In fact, a solid number will not. This will affect more than the "trapped players" and kind of insult some kids (ones held back, etc.) At least birth year is a level playing field and is a lot less confusing.

If I ever get info that is on the not wanting to switch back side I will post that as well. So far everything I’m hearing it’s leaning more towards yes. Still some hoops to jump through before it’s finalized.
You might want to check the background of your sources before running with anything they say as facts.

The truth is that this is a highly charged topic in the youth soccer world. Also there's multiple groups and agendas at play. If you only speak to the people in a certain camp it makes it seem like that's how the world thinks. Which isn't always the case.

Here's why I don't think things won't change from birth year to school year.

1. Everything works with birth year right now. Some people might have issues but everything works.
2. Switching to school year has to be done by everyone or it doesn't work. It's like herding cats getting all the leagues to change.
3. ECNL has been very aggressive against both MLSN and GA. Saying that clubs can't have girls ECNL if they have MLSN. Or vice versa. This win at all costs mentality makes it hard to engage with other clubs on topics like switching to school year.

A couple of other things that people aren't expecting. Once the school year Pandoras box is opened you're going to get people pushing for school grade only as the grouping (not Aug 1st) and we'll be back to 16 year old freshman competing against 13-14 year olds. Another thing ECNL people aren't considering is the only 2 bargaining chips ECNL has for getting other leagues to switch to school year is $$$ and offering clubs access to ECNL. This means if school year goes through. Expect to see a whole bunch of new clubs "watering down" ECNL next season.

You might want to check the background of your sources before running with anything they say as facts.

The truth is that this is a highly charged topic in the youth soccer world. Also there's multiple groups and agendas at play. If you only speak to the people in a certain camp it makes it seem like that's how the world thinks. Which isn't always the case.

1. Everything works with birth year right now. Some people might have issues but everything works.
2. Switching to school year has to be done by everyone or it doesn't work. It's like herding cats getting all the leagues to change.
3. ECNL has been very aggressive against both MLSN and GA. Saying that clubs can't have girls ECNL if they have MLSN. Or vice versa. This win at all costs mentality makes it hard to engage with other clubs on topics like switching to school year.

A couple of other things that people aren't expecting. Once the school year Pandoras box is opened you're going to get people pushing for school grade only as the grouping (not Aug 1st) and we'll be back to 16 year old freshman competing against 13-14 year olds. Another thing ECNL people aren't considering is the only 2 bargaining chips ECNL has for getting other leagues to switch to school year is $$$ and offering clubs access to ECNL. This means if school year goes through. Expect to see a whole bunch of new clubs "watering down" ECNL next season.
ECNL can do SY itself since ECNL teams already only play against themselves. For 1 or 2 outside tournaments like Surf Cup, they can have ECNL bracket.

And SY is not equal to GY, so the max difference within a team is still 1 year. You will not see a 16 years play against 14 years.

ECNL can do SY itself since ECNL teams already only play against themselves. For 1 or 2 outside tournaments like Surf Cup, they can have ECNL bracket.

And SY is not equal to GY, so the max difference within a team is still 1 year. You will not see a 16 years play against 14 years.
The minute Surf Cup does an "ECNL Bracket" they'll lose 80% of the partipants.

Also, how will rankings work if ages aren't the same?

What you're suggesting is exactly what I said would happen from the beginning of this thread. ECNL as a business will make a bunch more $$$ by killing cross league play. Local club tournaments will suffer because other leagues wont participate in ECNL club tournaments.

I really hope we go back to Aug 1. It is better for the kids to play with their classmates at the younger age groups and this accomplishes that in the best way. We also need to evolve our strategy for kids born late in whatever cutoff we go with. Too often these kids get left behind by the best clubs who have the best coaches at the young age groups. I see it all the time where kids have great instincts and talent but are to small and slow due to Sept through Dec bdays.

I really hope we go back to Aug 1. It is better for the kids to play with their classmates at the younger age groups and this accomplishes that in the best way. We also need to evolve our strategy for kids born late in whatever cutoff we go with. Too often these kids get left behind by the best clubs who have the best coaches at the young age groups. I see it all the time where kids have great instincts and talent but are to small and slow due to Sept through Dec bdays.
This is 100%. Your kid can't be considered for a top team regardless of how good your kid is in U13, unless you know the coach or director. It's the same typical prototype when evaluating in tryouts/trials, "how tall/fast/strong is he" completely ignoring the talent, skill, and potential of shorter kids.

Again just sharing the info I get. I’m sure each club, league, academy, governing body has different feelings about this. Also I only get second hand info from a friend who can get insider info from various leagues/governing bodies. Nothing I say is a matter of fact. Just what I’m being told. I’m not trying to say school year or birth year is the best option.
Just letting people know what I hear when I hear it.

But everything that was said on the most recent ECNL podcast was told to me and some of it was posted here before hand.

Again, not saying this IS happening but I’ll say it SOUNDS like we are as close as we’ve ever been to changing back as many people at various organizations think SY is the best option for everyone from local Rec soccer up to kids in high school.

The minute Surf Cup does an "ECNL Bracket" they'll lose 80% of the partipants.

Also, how will rankings work if ages aren't the same?

What you're suggesting is exactly what I said would happen from the beginning of this thread. ECNL as a business will make a bunch more $$$ by killing cross league play. Local club tournaments will suffer because other leagues wont participate in ECNL club tournaments.
These are all great questions but when you are talking about the many rather than few. Who really cares about rankings? Or surf cup brackets? As a dad with 3 kids playing soccer I get how much fun it is to look at the rankings on an app and tell people how great your kids team is but does that matter when we talking about player development?

Also if they do change to SY other teams MLSN and GA can still enter the bracket and play “up” which would make competition better. If Aug to Dec kids are better players when with their school grade? If they are not teams would just stay the same?…

But I agree it should be most of leagues switching together.

These are all great questions but when you are talking about the many rather than few. Who really cares about rankings? Or surf cup brackets? As a dad with 3 kids playing soccer I get how much fun it is to look at the rankings on an app and tell people how great your kids team is but does that matter when we talking about player development?

Also if they do change to SY other teams MLSN and GA can still enter the bracket and play “up” which would make competition better. If Aug to Dec kids are better players when with their school grade? If they are not teams would just stay the same?…

But I agree it should be most of leagues switching together.
MLSN may not switch as they compete against the academy team.

Back