Get ready folks

ECNL new podcast came out today.
Spoke about the subject briefly.
Nothing is decided yet but people are on board and more than likely going back to school year.

ECNL new podcast came out today.
Spoke about the subject briefly.
Nothing is decided yet but people are on board and more than likely going back to school year.
Conversation re school year change over runs from 3:20 to 10:00.

ECNL clearly wants it, but acknowledge that they wouldn't go it alone. They're saying the decision should come in between mid Oct and mid Nov. USCS, USYS and USSF are involved in the conversations.

Biggest issue I see, and they call out, is the short notice period to get it moving if they implement for 2025. As I recall, last time everyone was given two years notice.

ECNL clearly wants it, but acknowledge that they wouldn't go it alone. They're saying the decision should come in between mid Oct and mid Nov. USCS, USYS and USSF are involved in the conversations.

Biggest issue I see, and they call out, is the short notice period to get it moving if they implement for 2025. As I recall, last time everyone was given two years notice.
Its funny to me that they would go back to a system that will be easily manipulated but honestly I'm not surprised by how youth soccer or really US soccer at any level is run anymore.

go back to grade year and legally you could have a team with 21 year old's on the 2008/2007 ECNL team next year when the max age before the change for that team would of been what 18. Look at high school football and how many parents hold their kids back so they get bigger. You go from one that cant be manipulated and is very straight forward to a mess. Why?

go back to grade year and legally you could have a team with 21 year old's on the 2008/2007 ECNL team next year when the max age before the change for that team would of been what 18. Look at high school football and how many parents hold their kids back so they get bigger. You go from one that cant be manipulated and is very straight forward to a mess. Why?
They will just move the cut-off from 1/1 to 7/1, so you still need to be no older than 2007/1/1 in order to join the 08/07 team.

They will just move the cut-off from 1/1 to 7/1, so you still need to be no older than 2007/1/1 in order to join the 08/07 team.
I guess i don't get it. I thought its switching to what year your graduating high school is the team you would play on? My kids only been in birth year based.

I wouldn’t be surprised if USYS and USSF want to go with a 2026 start and US Club and ECNL get after it and go 2025. Everything said in the podcast goes with what I’ve been told and that’s ECNL and US Club are ready to pull the trigger just waiting for everyone to get on board.

I guess i don't get it. I thought its switching to what year your graduating high school is the team you would play on? My kids only been in birth year based.

You're thinking about the way AAU runs basketball, which has never been the case for soccer. AAU is a cluster. Nothing like seeing 16 year olds playing as/with 8th graders. What a sh!t show.

Soccer was never officially grade year, the 7/1 cut off (the way it was before they moved to calendar year) was easier to approximate that way while keeping legitimate boundaries.

I wouldn’t be surprised if USYS and USSF want to go with a 2026 start and US Club and ECNL get after it and go 2025. Everything said in the podcast goes with what I’ve been told and that’s ECNL and US Club are ready to pull the trigger just waiting for everyone to get on board.

Summer tournaments would be a disaster in 2025. My guess is that they all go or none of them go.

Bear in mind that when they switched over last time, they announced it two years ahead and most clubs started new age group trainings, in addition to regular training, months ahead of their normal tryouts. If they make the call in November, that really doesn't allow any time to do that, except for the older groups.

Given that the seemingly universally acknowledged hurdle to this is the short term cluster, the smart play is to ease that pain if they go this route. What would they really lose by deferring implementation by a year?

You're thinking about the way AAU runs basketball, which has never been the case for soccer. AAU is a cluster. Nothing like seeing 16 year olds playing as/with 8th graders. What a sh!t show.

Soccer was never officially grade year, the 7/1 cut off (the way it was before they moved to calendar year) was easier to approximate that way while keeping legitimate boundaries.

Summer tournaments would be a disaster in 2025. My guess is that they all go or none of them go.

Bear in mind that when they switched over last time, they announced it two years ahead and most clubs started new age group trainings, in addition to regular training, months ahead of their normal tryouts. If they make the call in November, that really doesn't allow any time to do that, except for the older groups.

Given that the seemingly universally acknowledged hurdle to this is the short term cluster, the smart play is to ease that pain if they go this route. What would they really lose by deferring implementation by a year?
I think all the NCAA lawsuits are in the back of ECNL leaderships head. Which is why they're pushing for the change now.

If NCAA blows up in spectacular fashion there won't be any reason to switch to school grade groupings.

Thank you as that's exactly what I was thinking!

Here's a very good assessment of the current NCAA legal situation.

Reality is that in 2-3 years NCAA might not exist as we currently know it.

The change may or may not effect college recruiting.

Kids born 8/1/2012 through 7/31/2013 count as one year. 8/1/2013 through 7/31/2014 make up the next year. And so on.

Here's a very good assessment of the current NCAA legal situation.

Reality is that in 2-3 years NCAA might not exist as we currently know it.

The change may or may not effect college recruiting.
Spot on. I think Karma is biting some cheaters in soccer who used male and female athletes and treated many as slaves without pay while many risk their lives playing a sport for a "free" education. Free my ass. Based on what my buddy did when he played football at D1 in the 80s and the back pain he's in today was not worth it. He was a stud. Too many on here put all the value on a scholarships. Seriously, a scholarship gave many abusive coaches power and some could revoke the deal after year one. Horrible, horrible and horrible for everyone but those who got paid.

Spot on. I think Karma is biting some cheaters in soccer who used male and female athletes and treated many as slaves without pay while many risk their lives playing a sport for a "free" education. Free my ass. Based on what my buddy did when he played football at D1 in the 80s and the back pain he's in today was not worth it. He was a stud. Too many on here put all the value on a scholarships. Seriously, a scholarship gave many abusive coaches power and some could revoke the deal after year one. Horrible, horrible and horrible for everyone but those who got paid.
Change is coming for NCAA.

Although they'll likely go kicking and screaming into reality.

I think all the NCAA lawsuits are in the back of ECNL leaderships head. Which is why they're pushing for the change now.

If NCAA blows up in spectacular fashion there won't be any reason to switch to school grade groupings.
In that universe, taken to its extreme, all college sports other than football and basketball will be dead anyway, so all the letter leagues that don't begin with MLS lose their purpose to exist.

So why go through the hassle?

so far all the changes in NCAA over the past couple years have only hurt our kids from being able to play college soccer. Nothing done has helped that specific sport in College. Unfortunately every ruling against NCAA is continuing to hurt our sport and our kids chances to play it. I'm not good in the math but with the recent roster limits how much harder did it just get to make a college team? With the transfer portal how much harder is it now for freshman to be able to make a team? Its getting ridiculous and getting worse every day definitely not better. The only benefit I could see so far is more soccer players getting scholarship money but until I see that is happening its all bullshit.

so far all the changes in NCAA over the past couple years have only hurt our kids from being able to play college soccer. Nothing done has helped that specific sport in College. Unfortunately every ruling against NCAA is continuing to hurt our sport and our kids chances to play it. I'm not good in the math but with the recent roster limits how much harder did it just get to make a college team? With the transfer portal how much harder is it now for freshman to be able to make a team? Its getting ridiculous and getting worse every day definitely not better. The only benefit I could see so far is more soccer players getting scholarship money but until I see that is happening its all bullshit.
This kind of news can't be good for ECNL. Why would a middle-class family (if we have any left) invest over $100,000 for this uncertainty? The rich Elites will just have their own league called, ECNL. High School Soccer and AYSO might just do the trick for 90% o the kids that will NOT go on to play in college. Its why all these colleges had 38 players on the roster to make Susie happy and the parents. However, little Susie sat on the bench, got verbally abused and in some cases sexually abused by coach. The whole things need to be blown up and then a big do-er. I see college soccer games and seems like a lot of people go and support the team and I love that. GDA was a dumb league for many reasons. My #1 complaint was the money being exchange in the back room for certain players with rich parents.

This kind of news can't be good for ECNL. Why would a middle-class family (if we have any left) invest over $100,000 for this uncertainty? The rich Elites will just have their own league called, ECNL. High School Soccer and AYSO might just do the trick for 90% o the kids that will NOT go on to play in college. Its why all these colleges had 38 players on the roster to make Susie happy and the parents. However, little Susie sat on the bench, got verbally abused and in some cases sexually abused by coach. The whole things need to be blown up and then a big do-er. I see college soccer games and seems like a lot of people go and support the team and I love that. GDA was a dumb league for many reasons. My #1 complaint was the money being exchange in the back room for certain players with rich parents.
I’ve seen this happen firsthand at a SoCal ECNL club for U12. Doc asked a player, who by the way always played the full game, “Are you tired? Do you need to come out?” That question said it all. Everyone suspected the parents were paying off Doc because they were wealthy, and the player wasn’t at all that great...just average at best. It was obvious she wasn’t the goat 🐐 on the team so there was no reason for her to get full time play, that’s for sure! But he had to ask her at times if she needed a breather. 😂

In that universe, taken to its extreme, all college sports other than football and basketball will be dead anyway, so all the letter leagues that don't begin with MLS lose their purpose to exist.

So why go through the hassle?
Exactly...

MLS Next for boys and NWSL Next for girls. Which is how soccer works everywhere else but America.

What will end up happening for college is the only "amateurism" rule they'll be able to enforce is 4 (5 if you redshirt) years of eligibility. Which means all the roster spots will get taken up by washed up 26+ year old former pros getting a free degree.

Exactly...

MLS Next for boys and NWSL Next for girls. Which is how soccer works everywhere else but America.

What will end up happening for college is the only "amateurism" rule they'll be able to enforce is 4 (5 if you redshirt) years of eligibility. Which means all the roster spots will get taken up by washed up 26+ year old former pros getting a free degree.
The MLS Next and NWSL Next thing needs to die. Its stupid. Please tell me how many girls and boys actually go to the pros and bypass college? What a handful over the past 5 years. Its ridiculous. They need to be able to go to college and play the sport they love and get an education and have their sport pay for it, graduate and get a good job and live their life. Some can continue to play in the pros or national level. That's how it should work. But yeah that's going away. If that normal pathway does go away which his what's starting to happen everyone is going to question why these kids and parents are evening spending the money and resources and time to even play high level soccer. If anyone is playing ECNL and in high school and tells you their kids grades are not suffering because of their sport then they are straight up lying to you. All that time could be spent on school work so if the only pathway to college is school work and not sport then the sport goes away which means the ECNL goes away for Girls for example. Or they still have it but the level of play is going to seriously drop.

Back