G2010 - How’s the 2022 season going?

My opinion:

They are still elite. Some injuries. But in watching them play recently I feel they have a lot of the same style/type of players. They lack variety and lack some size in the mid. Also, futsal is lovely for the youngers but it doesn’t transfer to the big field. If anyone in the west coast challenges them to a futsal game , they’ll dominate every day of the week. But soccer is soccer. They’re still talented but give credit to other programs/players as well. This is SoCal, lots of talent here.

Eagles has the most well rounded roster in my opinion.
Sounds like that’s no excuse for a….. let’s say Surf team…. These girls play Futsal and then they’re kicking butt on the soccer field. The Blues’s issue has more to do with culture and identity or should we say… whiny parent(s) who thinks too much of their child(ren) to be humble enough to pass to the open girl or a run or maybe something like that… LOL

Maybe the point he was making in his opinion about the team was that the teams skill set dominates small sided games like futsal but it hasn't translated to the big field yet and not that futsal is the reason they are struggling

I heard from grape vine father that it's 100% injuries. If you lose top CM, you don't have another top CM sitting on the bench waiting for her chance. I hear it's not just one injury but more. Not all Blues teams have the same parents Charlie. Every team has a few crazy parents. Enjoy the ride fellas, because they fly out of your nest faster then you think.

Last edited:
Maybe the point he was making in his opinion about the team was that the teams skill set dominates small sided games like futsal but it hasn't translated to the big field yet and not that futsal is the reason they are struggling

You make an interesting point. Could it be that because some play futsal and others don’t their may be some sort of disconnect between the players that play futsal and the ones that don’t. Maybe the ones that play futsal understand the possession game better, attempt to connect while the ones that don’t play futsal do not connect and boot the ball because they can’t play under pressure. I do recall seeing players that booted the ball from the back. From what I remember seeing at Surf Cup is that they weren’t necessarily a team that can build out the back but were discipline enough to defend well together. I still saw them booting the ball. Versus Surf who as a whole have a much better understanding on connecting and possessing the ball together as a team. My friend from Surf that I spoke to who told me about their couple of injuries said that the injuries came from players that play in the defensive back line. Well when a soccer team does not have a strong back line, mids have to drop to help forcing forwards to drop as well to cover the middle. This really can hurt the offense and will limit opportunities to generate shots at goal. 11v11 is a complex game that require players to play together. Not even Messi can bail you out of a situation where there is a disconnect among all players playing together. Surf plays together and that’s why they seem to be consistent but from what I got from the conversation with my friends is that Blues seem to be that type of team where if they are missing key players they fall apart. Wasn’t @CharlieMurfee the one that said last time that when certain players get subbed out they become vulnerable?

Looks like the losers from Surf Cup (Eagles, Surf and HBK Slammers) are actually legit teams and the other one (Blues) have cracks in the armor…
All four have cracks in the armor. Those other three lost to San Juan, Force, and MVLA.

This is what parity looks like. Have a bad day against a good team? Chalk up the loss and try again next week.

Looking forward to seeing the games this weekend.

Sounds like that’s no excuse for a….. let’s say Surf team…. These girls play Futsal and then they’re kicking butt on the soccer field. The Blues’s issue has more to do with culture and identity or should we say… whiny parent(s) who thinks too much of their child(ren) to be humble enough to pass to the open girl or a run or maybe something like that… LOL

I do remember seeing a player or two who seem to hold the ball too long. One of their mids, the feisty girl who’s relentless at defending. While all teams can have cracks in the mirror or say a bad game. This Blues team seems to be on a bad scoring streak. If you look at the stats, they can’t score is the main issue. Not so much that they’ve given up goals but that they can’t generate goals. I don’t know what exactly happened with the Eagles game but I heard it was pretty competitive til about the midway point in the second half, a few girls came out with injuries and when the subs came in the whole team fell apart.

In the inland empire both Legends and Sporting are in a free fall.

Legends:
Roster holes.
Politics.
One dimensional offense.
No in game adjustments.
Whiny parents forcing coach to play little Suzy and Betsy when they’re not ready for that level.
Nice core of players though.

Sporting > CHAOS (putting it nicely)
Undedicated coaches.
Huge Lack of leadership.
Politics> Egregious mismanagement of good players.
Zero adjustments.
Also has a nice core of players.

Lots of talent in the IE. Hopefully they’ll get these teams right next season.

Can you share more about the issues at Sporting?

All four have cracks in the armor. Those other three lost to San Juan, Force, and MVLA.

This is what parity looks like. Have a bad day against a good team? Chalk up the loss and try again next week.

Looking forward to seeing the games this weekend.
My sister in law has a DS playing MLS Next. His team lost a few weeks ago and dominated on the pitch and should have won. Out shot the other team 23-1. I think they hit goal post three times in first half. The winning team for that day got a late goal on a pass back from a defender and the fast forward took it and scored easy goal. That team had only won one game all year and sister in laws team had some bad luck. Chalk it up and learn and try again next weekend.

I do remember seeing a player or two who seem to hold the ball too long. One of their mids, the feisty girl who’s relentless at defending. While all teams can have cracks in the mirror or say a bad game. This Blues team seems to be on a bad scoring streak. If you look at the stats, they can’t score is the main issue. Not so much that they’ve given up goals but that they can’t generate goals. I don’t know what exactly happened with the Eagles game but I heard it was pretty competitive til about the midway point in the second half, a few girls came out with injuries and when the subs came in the whole team fell apart.
This argument is flawed. If you cannot advance the ball because you’re all on defense then you cannot score. 8-9-10 in the box… the single striker up top double / triple teamed… midfielders all playing back / compact in the box to prevent scoring… how will there be a buildout when you have to stay compact and your mids are dropping back because your backline is struggling because 3 of their starters are out due to injury?

This argument is flawed. If you cannot advance the ball because you’re all on defense then you cannot score. 8-9-10 in the box… the single striker up top double / triple teamed… midfielders all playing back / compact in the box to prevent scoring… how will there be a buildout when you have to stay compact and your mids are dropping back because your backline is struggling because 3 of their starters are out due to injury?

you didn’t read my comment before where I’m basically saying the same thing you are saying about the roster struggling right now. I was talking about the build out in general when they had the other lineup at Surf Cup & they were all healthy. They didn’t build out even back then. The goalie always boots the ball which seems to signal to me that she does not have confidence in her back line to build out and get the ball to the midfield. Could
stem from the fact they had been exposed previously. Either that or the coach is telling her to boot the ball. Not sure. Regardless that team at Surf Cup got the job done because they defended collectively as a unit. Now with the injuries the consensus is they seem to be struggling on the sides. The argument of the discussion I had with my Surf buddy is that having that new girl that came from Arsenal may be the biggest reason why that Surf Cup team held it down and got the job done. I got the chance to watch her play vs MVLA and she shut down the side where the team had been exposed. The conclusion we made was that she was the key to their success at Surf Cup for the teams collective defensive effort working together as a unit. With her playing the back position the mids can play where they need to be to do their job. Whoever recruited her and brought her to the team basically handed that Blues team a gem. I heard she could also play forward as well. But she might definitely be the difference maker that made that Blues Surf Cup team stand out and win with dominance.

you didn’t read my comment before where I’m basically saying the same thing you are saying about the roster struggling right now. I was talking about the build out in general when they had the other lineup at Surf Cup & they were all healthy. They didn’t build out even back then. The goalie always boots the ball which seems to signal to me that she does not have confidence in her back line to build out and get the ball to the midfield. Could
stem from the fact they had been exposed previously. Either that or the coach is telling her to boot the ball. Not sure. Regardless that team at Surf Cup got the job done because they defended collectively as a unit. Now with the injuries the consensus is they seem to be struggling on the sides. The argument of the discussion I had with my Surf buddy is that having that new girl that came from Arsenal may be the biggest reason why that Surf Cup team held it down and got the job done. I got the chance to watch her play vs MVLA and she shut down the side where the team had been exposed. The conclusion we made was that she was the key to their success at Surf Cup for the teams collective defensive effort working together as a unit. With her playing the back position the mids can play where they need to be to do their job. Whoever recruited her and brought her to the team basically handed that Blues team a gem. I heard she could also play forward as well. But she might definitely be the difference maker that made that Blues Surf Cup team stand out and win with dominance.

Both of those Arsenal players, CB and outside back were out with injuries. They are just returning this week and will eased back into play eventually.

Both of those Arsenal players, CB and outside back were out with injuries. They are just returning this week and will eased back into play eventually.

Do you know if they will be playing this weekend at the showcase? I’m going to definitely try to catch one of their games to see how they look. Really curious to see how they play with them in the lineup.

Do you know if they will be playing this weekend at the showcase? I’m going to definitely try to catch one of their games to see how they look. Really curious to see how they play with them in the lineup.

I know the outside back just got cleared to return. I’m sure she’ll play but not sure how much. The CB is back and should play without restriction from my last update. There was also another starting defender (one of the original Blues members) who was out with injury who I don’t know if they returned yet or not. Blues was operating without their backline for nearly a few weeks now.I’d expect the team to resume to normal barring any setbacks by the end of October.

I know the outside back just got cleared to return. I’m sure she’ll play but not sure how much. The CB is back and should play without restriction from my last update. There was also another starting defender (one of the original Blues members) who was out with injury who I don’t know if they returned yet or not. Blues was operating without their backline for nearly a few weeks now.I’d expect the team to resume to normal barring any setbacks by the end of October.

It all makes sense now. With 3 starting defenders missing in the line up explains how this team could have performed the way they did these past games. It creates a domino effect and it throws off the mids and forwards. I couldn’t wrap my head around how
a team that did so well the month before and be considered to be one of the top teams in the nation can now turn into just another ecnl team that is part of the general pack. Thanks for the update. Your plug of knowledge is better than mine. I’m from San Diego and just know what I got from my Surf parent friend that speaks to Blues parents.

Welcome to U13 soccer where every team will have injuries as the season progresses. Those rosters that looked big (17 - 18 players) at the beginning of the season will end up being useful as players drop like flies. And don't forget about ACL tears lurking around the corner starting at U14.

Welcome to U13 soccer where every team will have injuries as the season progresses. Those rosters that looked big (17 - 18 players) at the beginning of the season will end up being useful as players drop like flies. And don't forget about ACL tears lurking around the corner starting at U14.
My biggest fear

Back