Big year coming up 2012 ecnl

This was during the playoffs at Seattle. What about SC Blues ranked 44th (I think) in the Champions League ranking and they beat Charlotte SA which was ranked 4th.

I'm not sure. Do you mean on 6/23 when Blues beat Charlotte 3-2? Blues shows 27th nationally, Charlotte shows 21st. Sure - Charlotte is favored by 0.2 of a goal, but it's close enough to be a tossup.

you cant look now as rankings change but there were examples in playoffs of the bottom Southwest teams beating top 10 national teams from the east coast.

Which ones? Can you provide any examples we can review? If it was as stated, that a lower rated team did well against a higher rated team, those results alone would start to tip both ratings closer to how both teams were performing.

The implication is that there are highly rated non-CA teams that are actually not as good as lower rated CA teams, but I'm certainly not seeing that now.

that charlotte team was undefeated as well and then played a blues team that was a shell of itself with questionable coaching going on and still lost.

It looks like that Charlotte team had previously lost against Virginia Union and Internationals prior to this game.

I'm not sure. Do you mean on 6/23 when Blues beat Charlotte 3-2? Blues shows 27th nationally, Charlotte shows 21st. Sure - Charlotte is favored by 0.2 of a goal, but it's close enough to be a tossup.

Which ones? Can you provide any examples we can review? If it was as stated, that a lower rated team did well against a higher rated team, those results alone would start to tip both ratings closer to how both teams were performing.

The implication is that there are highly rated non-CA teams that are actually not as good as lower rated CA teams, but I'm certainly not seeing that now.

It looks like that Charlotte team had previously lost against Virginia Union and Internationals prior to this game.
Hmmm.. Like SuperSoccerStar said, don't look at current rankings because it has changed. Before the games were played, Charlotte was ranked higher (still #1 in state). My point was any top 6 SW teams (at the time) could beat any Top 10 teams outside of CA. Teams being Legends, SD Surf, Slammers FC, Slammers HBK, Beach and SC Blues.

Sorry we are flooding the 2012 thread but this also applies to all.

Hmmm.. Like SuperSoccerStar said, don't look at current rankings because it has changed. Before the games were played, Charlotte was ranked higher (still #1 in state). My point was any top 6 SW teams (at the time) could beat any Top 10 teams outside of CA. Teams being Legends, SD Surf, Slammers FC, Slammers HBK, Beach and SC Blues.

And Charlotte still shows they are still #1 in their state. And #21 nationally. The 6 teams you list are showing right now as #1, #4, #12, #17, #22, and #27 nationally. Seems pretty likely that some of them would do well against a nationally ranked top 10 team. Seems pretty likely that some of them would have occasional trouble with a nationally ranked top 10 team. I think we've all got enough experience with this to know that if there happens to be a surprisingly high-ranked team, it either gets sorted reasonably quickly, or it turns out that it shouldn't be that surprising.

It’s all about ranking the teams properly for playoffs. If they get it right, awesome. If they get it wrong like they always do ….😩. IE, at the ‘11’s this year, they had Surf and Solar in the same bracket, #’s 1&4. I think ECNL needs to have a much better method of ranking other than only considering their record against ECNL teams locally and their W-L. An undefeated team playing super easy ECNL competition will possibly get slaughtered by the top SoCal team playing the best teams week in week out.
No one actually thinks of the ECNL seedings as rankings. I'm sure the ECNL folks are well aware that #3 in Southwest is usually stronger than #1 in Midwest or Northeast.

I think the purpose is to let the occasional weak team into nationals. If two groups are both weak, then one of those 8 weak teams gets to say they went to "ECNL Finals". They get to fly to Richmond, lose to Solar or Surf, play their consolation game, and fly home.

No one actually thinks of the ECNL seedings as rankings. I'm sure the ECNL folks are well aware that #3 in Southwest is usually stronger than #1 in Midwest or Northeast.

I think the purpose is to let the occasional weak team into nationals. If two groups are both weak, then one of those 8 weak teams gets to say they went to "ECNL Finals". They get to fly to Richmond, lose to Solar or Surf, play their consolation game, and fly home.
100% Zeke and it helps with future ECNL sign ups🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑. It is a national league. We need a California League.

No worries yes it applies to all, also just really excited for this weekend, Daughters team finally gets to play, after all games being cancelled last weekend due to the heat wave 😩

I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this board but -- 2012 being the newest 11v11 group to enter ecnl....What are the rules for rostering DPL or GA players for ECNL? Both sides totally allow it? Happens all the time?

Gotcha...it's happening in the 2012s already (to the surprise of non-ecnl clubs who have players showing up on ecnl rosters) ;)
It happens the other way to.

What's interesting is you can't switch ECNL to ECNL or GA to GA clubs mid season (without club approval). But you can go ECNL to GA or GA to ECNL whenever you want.

If I was a coach I'd be signing up for cross league "friendlies" as much as possible to identify which players to recruit.

What's interesting is you can't switch ECNL to ECNL or GA to GA clubs mid season (without club approval). But you can go ECNL to GA or GA to ECNL whenever you want.

If I was a coach I'd be signing up for cross league "friendlies" as much as possible to identify which players to recruit.
yep, they can and they do. Usually though the better player is on the ECNL side "for girls" so its not really that big of an issue in ECNL but if they allow the same thing in GA I could see that being an issue. With the way things work if you really wanted to you could have your entire starting ECNL Playoff roster also be your entire starting ECRL playoff roster and be totally within the rules to do it. The ECNL rules are way to relaxed and even those relaxed rules are not enforced so it is what it is.

yep, they can and they do. Usually though the better player is on the ECNL side "for girls" so its not really that big of an issue in ECNL but if they allow the same thing in GA I could see that being an issue. With the way things work if you really wanted to you could have your entire starting ECNL Playoff roster also be your entire starting ECRL playoff roster and be totally within the rules to do it. The ECNL rules are way to relaxed and even those relaxed rules are not enforced so it is what it is.
Rostering some ECRL players within your own club seems somewhat reasonable (as they are seen as the B team)...but rostering GA/DPL players you've picked up from setting up scrimmages/friendlies and they don't even have to notify their home clubs seems a bit icky but apparently, well-within the rules.

Rostering some ECRL players within your own club seems somewhat reasonable (as they are seen as the B team)...but rostering GA/DPL players you've picked up from setting up scrimmages/friendlies and they don't even have to notify their home clubs seems a bit icky but apparently, well-within the rules.
Informing the players club that they're coming from provides no value.

Once clubs figure out that a player is playing with another team/league the coach and doc will make a decision. Either cut the player or try to keep them around. It will all depend on how good the player is and how big of a funnel of talent they have available to fill the void.

Just assume that they'll find out because they always do.

I'm just waiting for a team to use the 30 player roster rule and roster their NL starting 11 on the RL roster so when playoffs come they can just have their starting NL team play in the RL playoffs.

yes it is. You can have 30 players on your roster. You can roster your starting 11 ECNL on your ECRL roster of 30 and then bring the ECNL team to the RL playoffs. What's not legal about that?
Technically you can roster 28.

2 have to be Discovery players to have 30.

Not that it really matters.

Technically you can roster 28.

2 have to be Discovery players to have 30.

Not that it really matters.
the ECNL rules say 30. It doesn't say 2 need to be discovery. I know your only supposed to be allowed 2 discovery players per each 30 team roster though.

2.1.3 Roster Maximums. A maximum of thirty (30) players may be rostered on any ECNL Team’s Roster (in any age group)

All I'm saying is the ECNL rules are ridiculous and even those rules are not even followed. With all the money and notice these clubs are getting now from winning I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this happening. One club last year took 6 ECNL players to RL playoffs. It didn't work out for them though they lost and then the RL team blew up because obviously 6 girls that normally played didn't in the playoffs.

It does make you wonder if Socal players are missing out on development opportunities traveling long distances to beat not so good teams.
Absolutly they are. There are also so many really good teams in SoCal from all the letter leagues, yet only a small amount gets recognized in National Finals. A California League with all the top teams in one league would draw way more attention from recruiters.

Probably the biggest reason letter league teams avoid scrimages against each other like the plague. Also, a lot of paying parents will realize there is absolutly no reason to travel outside of SoCal to play great teams. Lose-Lose for the clubs.

Back