Big year coming up 2012 ecnl

What is everyone looking for, when making a decision where to go for this upcoming 2012 ecnl year? I have a decent 2012 DD and was wondering what’s everyone opinion on where to go? Slammers, blues, beach, legends? What’s everyone’s opinion?

What is everyone looking for, when making a decision where to go for this upcoming 2012 ecnl year? I have a decent 2012 DD and was wondering what’s everyone opinion on where to go? Slammers, blues, beach, legends? What’s everyone’s opinion?
Is this the first year for the 2012s to play ECNL? Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Most clubs already have the core of their upcoming 2012 ECNL team already in place and will most likely only make additions for impact players. There will be plenty of decent players that will already be at the front of the line from the clubs' respective 2nd teams. I also wouldn't wait until official tryouts as that will probably be too late to join most ECNL teams. Reach out to coach directly and ask to come to one of their trainings. Also be open to playing non-ECNL if no ECNL options exist.

Here's a little more advise that will help.

- Socal season ends Dec/Jan
- ECNL/GA season ends July

What this means is that there's going to be a window between Dec/Jan and July where players are transitioning from Socal to ECNL/GA. Use this time to reach out to different coaches + ask if your kid can do some sessions with their (likely new) team.

When you're evaluating a potential new team look for...

- Is the coach positive to the players? Players will quit playing if a coach is awful to be around.
- Is the coach teaching possession type soccer? The reason I say this is because at the ECNL level everyone is fast + has skills. To win you have to play as a team. Punting up to the fast kid who scores won't work anymore.
- How far are the practice fields from your house? What about during traffic?
- Are the parents crazy or reasonable to be around? Crazy isn't always bad at a minimum it means they're engaged + want to win.
- Is the DOC invested in your coach/team?
- Give GA teams a chance. FRAM, West Coast, and CitySC are the top girls teams in your area

Here's one more bit of info that's worth knowing.

Changing from one ECNL team to another ECNL team can only occur (without club approvals) at the end of the season. You can change ECNL clubs mid-season but it requires extra paperwork and both clubs need to sign off. (which they almost always do) Changing GA to GA teams is roughly the same.

Here's the trick, league to league transfers can occur at any time. Meaning if you're on a GA team you can switch to an ECNL team any time of the season + you don't need club approval. (This is called the Discovery program) ECNL to GA transfers can also happen at any time during the season + you don't need club approval.

I wouldn't bank on joining one league with the expectation to move to another. Just pointing out that if this is how things work out it's no problem.

Changing from one ECNL team to another ECNL team can only occur (without club approvals) at the end of the season. You can change ECNL clubs mid-season but it requires extra paperwork and both clubs need to sign off. (which they almost always do)

2012s are not ECNL age yet in 2023-2024 season so for those wanting to join an ECNL club next year, you wouldn't have to worry about the ECNL to ECNL transfer rules, right?

2012s will either be coming from SoCal League or Pre-ECNL this season...

I think that's what OP was saying.

I'm assuming 2024-2025 season is for the 2012s. This is when it all changes from tournament medal chasing to chasing a deal for college in the great showcases. I vented years ago how this system is not good for creating the best of the best soccer only players. "Elite" is more than just elite soccer player. For ECNL, your kid needs to be Elite student, Elite test taker and elite human to get the best value. You also must be prepared to pay your fair share along the way. I say all this to encourage those with kids like this and the money to invest in youth soccer. If your dd wants to be a lawyer, A Doctor, A teacher or other careers that demand a degree, then ECNL is 100% the best option. I say this based on my experience. If your daughter loves school and knows what she wants in life in 7th grade, then you 100% want to position your dd for the best coach with the best connections at the nest level. Surf is #1 based on scholarships awarded. Koge is a close 2nd and Blues is Blues and you can't lose with the Blues. Good luck 2012s :)

My opinion is you don't wait until tryouts. By then it's usually too late.

Thank you all for your input and opinions, crazy all that comes into play and my dd just turned 11

You need to reach out to coaches now. Ask to join workouts. In my experience, all but about 3 spots are decided on any given team before tryouts even happen. They're looking for a unicorn or defector from a rival. In most cases, the incumbent players get the nod but, either way, you need to start being a politician now. We all hate that... but if you don't, your kid has to be the unicorn. That means she had a great night's sleep, ate well that morning and is really good at playing 3 v 3 with complete strangers, etc. It's really just not a fair process.

You need to reach out to coaches now. Ask to join workouts. In my experience, all but about 3 spots are decided on any given team before tryouts even happen. They're looking for a unicorn or defector from a rival. In most cases, the incumbent players get the nod but, either way, you need to start being a politician now. We all hate that... but if you don't, your kid has to be the unicorn. That means she had a great night's sleep, ate well that morning and is really good at playing 3 v 3 with complete strangers, etc. It's really just not a fair process.
Most of the top Docs preached to always keep a couple spots open for each team before tryouts, just in case a Unicorn shows up out of nowhere, a dad in a BMW or a rival's top players parent calls coach to inquire about a spot on the team. One of my old pals (love you Jason) dd was a good player and would make any ECNL rosters in Socal. Great kid and never complained. When the whole GDA took over ECNL, his dd got ghosted at tryouts from a Doc because a rich family (I mean really rich) showed up out of nowhere and dad was willing to pay extra for whatever it takes so his dd would get play time. 25% starts was what he was after for his dd. He wanted to taste the glory of playing with all the other top players. My pals dd was a strong player and I say that 100%. A starter at a Abion type club and maybe come off the bench at Surf club. My advice is to find the right coach with the right access. Stay out of trouble, get good grades and be prepared to travel all over the country and stay & pay where your told so your dd can play.

Last edited:
2012s are not ECNL age yet in 2023-2024 season so for those wanting to join an ECNL club next year, you wouldn't have to worry about the ECNL to ECNL transfer rules, right?

2012s will either be coming from SoCal League or Pre-ECNL this season...

I think that's what OP was saying.

Correct, non of the rules apply to the Girls 2012 yet, may be different on the boys side as they have Pre ECNL leagues at 2012/2013. This will come in on the girls side this coming season 25/26, for 2013 and I think 2014, as well as ECNL RL 2.

Many clubs are already holding try outs for 2012. Contact the coaches if you want your DD to be viewed. There will be a lot of turn over over the next couple of years as the girls mature and players/parents start to see what it is they really want out of their club soccer experience. Elite leagues and Elite play isn't for everyone, there are other great leagues with great coaches in them, and that can get you the same end result, yes ECNL is the top, but its not the only pathway.

Where do you live and what's important to you as a parent? What's important to your DD?

If your kid is playing in SOCAL and isnt already ID'd she probably is not going to be able to make the Blues or Slammers Koge ECNL teams...if you want to stay in OC Pateadores is a good option...Beach is better atm than Legends

I mean we all view our daughters as top players, and would love for them to play ecnl, but for sure have to look at every possibility, ecrl I think wouldn’t be a bad idea either, good coach for sure is what we think is the way to go

I mean we all view our daughters as top players, and would love for them to play ecnl, but for sure have to look at every possibility, ecrl I think wouldn’t be a bad idea either, good coach for sure is what we think is the way to go
I disagree with @TheStr1kerz. I think most of the top teams are going to leave a roster spot open andyou don't know what each coach is looking to add to their squad. Coaches evaluate players differently so it doesn't hurt to bring your kid to tryout for any team. Whatever happens - cool, either way.

You asked for our opinions on where to go so I'll try to answer that without giving the standard "it's whatever is the best fit."

Non-negotiable for me is that my DD has to make practices. This is why I asked where do you live? I don't want my kid on a team where she can't train around and with her teammates. There are two main factors that I look at are:
-Is my daughter enjoying herself? (She needs to be happy to be there)
-Is my daughter getting better? (This is where coaching, team ability, etc. come into play)

Anyway, good luck with your search. DM me if I can help you answer anything that you don't want to discuss in a public forum.

Thank you guys so much for your input and advice, seems like there’s already a lot of movement going on in the 2012 age group, lot of rumors lot of girls moving, it’ll be interesting how everything plays out

There are two elite teams at this age group and that is Blues and Surf. Slammers HB is the tier underneath and there there is a big drop off after that with a handful of very good clubs.

For OC, Gateway Cities and SGV the best choice is Blues. For South Bay and Central LA the best choice is Beach. San Diego is Surf. San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita should travel out to Ventura County for Eagles (I don't recommend LAFC or Tudela)

Back