10. Pats
11. Legends FC
12. Phoenix Rising
13. Legends SD (FKA Sharks)
14. LV Heat Surf
15. LAFC So Cal
16. AZ Arsenal
17. Breakers

Let’s see how true things hold up. I think the top 3 is solidified and the rankings seems accurate about everyone else’s place at the moment but it’s a long season ahead and a lot can happen/change.

Based off of SR, ECNL Rankings headed into the season are:

1. Blues
2. Koge
3. Surf
4. Slammers FC
5. Utah Royals
6. Sporting CA
——————————
7. Rebels
8. Beach
9. Eagles
10. Pats
11. Legends FC
12. Phoenix Rising
13. Legends SD (FKA Sharks)
14. LV Heat Surf
15. LAFC So Cal
16. AZ Arsenal
17. Breakers

Let’s see how true things hold up. I think the top 3 is solidified and the rankings seems accurate about everyone else’s place at the moment but it’s a long season ahead and a lot can happen/change.
9 SW teams qualify for Champions League this year

Champions league going up from 44 to 64 teams with 16 group winners advancing to round of 16. SW increase from 6 to 9 playoff spots due to traditionally strong showing at playoffs.
huh? There always was 16 going to the round of 16. Do you mean 16 are going to finals now in Virginia instead of 8? That might actually make the Virginia trip better.

16 group winners advancing to round of 16 as opposed to 11 group winners plus 5 wildcards advancing to round 16
oh shoot my bad. Oh wow that's going to be harder and I see less Southwest teams getting through now if its only group winners. There were many southwest teams that got through via round 16 wildcard that went to finals year after year. Are there not going to be any direct to playoff spots from the southwest tournament? Doesn't Texas give some playoff spots from their mid season tournament?

oh shoot my bad. Oh wow that's going to be harder and I see less Southwest teams getting through now if its only group winners. There were many southwest teams that got through via round 16 wildcard that went to finals year after year. Are there not going to be any direct to playoff spots from the southwest tournament? Doesn't Texas give some playoff spots from their mid season tournament?

This would only become a problem if they group southwest teams in the same playoff brackets. If not, they just need to win their group vs teams outside of southwest. Ideally no California teams should be in the same playoff bracket. But if this is a draw type system, then we could see CA teams in the same bracket.

Best breakdown of the ECNL experience!

oh shoot my bad. Oh wow that's going to be harder and I see less Southwest teams getting through now if it’s only group winners. There were many southwest teams that got through via round 16 wildcard that went to finals year after year. Are there not going to be any direct to playoff spots from the southwest tournament? Doesn't Texas give some playoff spots from their mid season tournament?
It’s all about ranking the teams properly for playoffs. If they get it right, awesome. If they get it wrong like they always do ….😩. IE, at the ‘11’s this year, they had Surf and Solar in the same bracket, #’s 1&4. I think ECNL needs to have a much better method of ranking other than only considering their record against ECNL teams locally and their W-L. An undefeated team playing super easy ECNL competition will possibly get slaughtered by the top SoCal team playing the best teams week in week out.

It’s all about ranking the teams properly for playoffs. If they get it right, awesome. If they get it wrong like they always do ….😩. IE, at the ‘11’s this year, they had Surf and Solar in the same bracket, #’s 1&4. I think ECNL needs to have a much better method of ranking other than only considering their record against ECNL teams locally and their W-L. An undefeated team playing super easy ECNL competition will possibly get slaughtered by the top SoCal team playing the best teams week in week out.
California Soccer Federation with its own Tier 1 Girls California League is the best way to go. I know many in La Jolla and South OC love to travel and beat the shit out of teams on the East Coast, but this is lame.

California Soccer Federation with its own Tier 1 Girls California League is the best way to go. I know many in La Jolla and South OC love to travel and beat the shit out of teams on the East Coast, but this is lame.
It does make you wonder if Socal players are missing out on development opportunities traveling long distances to beat not so good teams.

It is the same with the 2010 group this year with SD Surf and MVLA on the same group??? (Arguably two of the top 3 teams in the country). You also have bottom ranked CA teams beating top 10 teams in the country "per ranking."

It is the same with the 2010 group this year with SD Surf and MVLA on the same group??? (Arguably two of the top 3 teams in the country). You also have bottom ranked CA teams beating top 10 teams in the country "per ranking."

It's a compelling statement, it's just that I can't find many examples of this. I just went through the records of all 2010G top 10 teams in the country, and saw nothing like what was described above. The only loss I could find for any top 10 non-CA national team, against a CA team, was Real Colorado (#6, 49.50) losing to Legends (#12, 49.14) 0-2 on 6/28. What other games are you referring to?

2010g 2024.jpg

It's a compelling statement, it's just that I can't find many examples of this. I just went through the records of all 2010G top 10 teams in the country, and saw nothing like what was described above. The only loss I could find for any top 10 non-CA national team, against a CA team, was Real Colorado (#6, 49.50) losing to Legends (#12, 49.14) 0-2 on 6/28. What other games are you referring to?

View attachment 22669
This was during the playoffs at Seattle. What about SC Blues ranked 44th (I think) in the Champions League ranking and they beat Charlotte SA which was ranked 4th.

View attachment 22669
you cant look now as rankings change but there were examples in playoffs of the bottom Southwest teams beating top 10 national teams from the east coast.

This was during the playoffs at Seattle. What about SC Blues ranked 44th (I think) in the Champions League ranking and they beat Charlotte SA which was ranked 4th.
that charlotte team was undefeated as well and then played a blues team that was a shell of itself with questionable coaching going on and still lost.

that charlotte team was undefeated as well and then played a blues team that was a shell of itself with questionable coaching going on and still lost.
When my dd team went up to Seattle, the only good team not from CA was Real Colorado. We tied them with a last second goal from my kid in group play that allowed the team to go to advance. Then we played some horrible team in the Semi's and won 10-0 or 8-0, I forget. My little one scored 5 goals in that game and was the playoff scoring champ, oh joy😀 We played Real SoCal in the finals and beat them in a very tough match. Eric Wynalda was there watching his dd battle our team. By the way, his dd had much ganas and loves the game like her old man did. If Alyssa Thompson would have stayed at Real SC, they would have been a very tough team to beat.

Back