Girls Development Academy

In summary, you appear to be asking us not to judge the non-ECNL DA clubs' performance yet, because they are going to get a lot of ECNL players joining them in July.

Between commitments to prior teams, ODP training, school and family conflicts (prom, graduations, etc.), vacations, and injuries, my experience is that the roster issues faced by each team in June (and throughout the summer) tend to average out, and the performance of these teams is a pretty good indication of what their seasons will look like, with few exceptions.

Also, DA tryouts (even for olders) began almost 2 months before this showcase, non-ECNL DA clubs have been actively recruiting ECNL players since the DA list was released, and ECNL players are free to tryout with other ECNL clubs May 1st, so I respecfully disagree that rosters are far from finalized. If a team is in need of an impact player at this point, or trying to fill a gap in their starting 11, the coach has not done his/her job, and/or the team needs to adjust its expectations.[/QUOTE
I was talking about all/any of the teams that might be playing in showcases or tournaments in June. Current ECNL rosters will change as players move from an ECNL team to another DA club that may be a better fit or closer. Just because you are on an ECNL team at an ECNL/DA club does not mean that is the club you would be at if you have other choices. There are players coming from other teams that are not freed up yet to be fully committed to practices and games because they are still in their ECNL season and going to play in the championships. They may have already decided to make a change but that change may not happen till Surf Cup. You cannot look at teams playing in the Legends Showcase and make a decision about whether their DA team will be strong or not. Also, some ECNL players have not told their clubs yet about leaving because of concerns about problems from the club.

I was talking about all/any of the teams that might be playing in showcases or tournaments in June. Current ECNL rosters will change as players move from an ECNL team to another DA club that may be a better fit or closer. Just because you are on an ECNL team at an ECNL/DA club does not mean that is the club you would be at if you have other choices. There are players coming from other teams that are not freed up yet to be fully committed to practices and games because they are still in their ECNL season and going to play in the championships. They may have already decided to make a change but that change may not happen till Surf Cup. You cannot look at teams playing in the Legends Showcase and make a decision about whether their DA team will be strong or not. Also, some ECNL players have not told their clubs yet about leaving because of concerns about problems from the club.

I don't completely disagree Soccer43. But, yes, the Legends Showcase will certainly give an indication of how EVERY team might be. I mean, come on, it's not like the team that plays in it is going to completely change. So they might be missing 1 or 2 players MAYBE. Any team that is reliant on 1 or 2 players to be good, isn't good anyway.

No lots of changes still. People not adding until Aug 1, vacation (and I mean big time vacation because a lot of people aren't playing this summer because they know we have to go to four days a week), etc.
I agree the tournaments are not a good indicator.
Another very prevalent issue we saw was that with all of this mixing our coaches are just getting to know people and where they play.
It's a wild summer

So for the record I do believe when a roster is as awesome as some of these are I can only assume it will be a great team but as it has been pointed out to me a lot of rosters have not gotten things done so...it's all about chemistry .

No lots of changes still. People not adding until Aug 1, vacation (and I mean big time vacation because a lot of people aren't playing this summer because they know we have to go to four days a week), etc.
I agree the tournaments are not a good indicator.
Another very prevalent issue we saw was that with all of this mixing our coaches are just getting to know people and where they play.
It's a wild summer
Wow! Seriously? There are clubs waiting until Aug.1 to form their teams?

It's not "forming" it's adding. It's a process. Again the days of a Jan tryout and the team is the team is gone. People can be added or dropped until the start of a DA season.

That has always been the case, Aug 1st was always the freeze date, and players are added until then. But I also expect, as has always been the case, most DA rosters are 90-100% complete by 6/1. People may take a break until the 8/1 start date, but what about those USSDA Surf Cup Brackets in late July?

It's not "forming" it's adding. It's a process. Again the days of a Jan tryout and the team is the team is gone. People can be added or dropped until the start of a DA season.
Okay, I get that. But to say that the teams you see now aren't gong to be the same Aug. 1, is a big stretch. Besides, who cares how these teams do out of the gate, anyway? None of this matters. What matters is, how did your DD Showcase herself? In the long run, this is what matters at these events. Am I wrong?

No and I never contended otherwise.
The very premise that people actually care about team scores and "how they do at tournaments" which is what all of you were talking about is not appropriate.
The focus should always be your player and how she develops.
Coaches recruit players not teams. People don't get that.

No and I never contended otherwise.
The very premise that people actually care about team scores and "how they do at tournaments" which is what all of you were talking about is not appropriate.
The focus should always be your player and how she develops.
Coaches recruit players not teams. People don't get that.

Granted, W's & L's shouldn't matter and it should all be about the player, especially when your on a platform with maximum exposure to college recruiters and YNT's. However, scores and standings ALWAYS matter in SoCal. It's our nature, we can't help it. We're like that scorpion hitching a ride on the frog.

Granted, W's & L's shouldn't matter and it should all be about the player, especially when your on a platform with maximum exposure to college recruiters and YNT's. However, scores and standings ALWAYS matter in SoCal. It's our nature, we can't help it. We're like that scorpion hitching a ride on the frog.

I hear you but I am quite content letting success on the field or in the classroom speak for itself. There are plenty of highly sought after and talented girls who aren't in the DA who will do just fine. One exciting player I know continues to play at a local club you never see represented and is frequently contacted by the "bigs"
I am just saying you have to have perspective. W and L don't matter and definitely not at 04 and below. They just do not

I am cracking up because it's true. I want to see my girl and her teammates develop and perform well.

We all want that- its human nature. That being said a W Doesn't mean that they are playing or performing well. If a W is tied to your happiness while watching youth sports then a serious self reflection needs to occur.
I am a winner and a competitor. I just get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again in this sport. My children all play Three sports- and no I don't see this ANYWHERE else and the closest I have seen to this delusion are the dance/cheer/gymnastics parents.

My 06 son lost in the Finals at Cerritos this weekend. He is a keeper and had what may be his finest set of 6 games ever. Sadly made some errors in the Finals and they lost 4-3. Someone was consoling me saying he was fabulous because I looked annoyed and angry and I was. Not because he made errors, but that a team playing kickball won and that they coaches were bragging about how they worked so hard to develop the players.

Not hating on the victory because that team played hard! I just don't see what the kids get out of it in the long run beyond a medal and some bragging rights. It was an exciting game because of the events of the game, but frustrating to see because it stopped being fun to watch.

I love seeing these kids execute and perform like the big ballers on tv with the passing, skills and organization. The win at all cost on this level is not something I enjoy participating in at this stage of the game. Coaches need wins, but kids need development and it's such a hard line to walk balanced.

We all want that- its human nature. That being said a W Doesn't mean that they are playing or performing well. If a W is tied to your happiness while watching youth sports then a serious self reflection needs to occur.
I am a winner and a competitor. I just get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again in this sport. My children all play Three sports- and no I don't see this ANYWHERE else and the closest I have seen to this delusion are the dance/cheer/gymnastics parents.

Gymnastics parents are a pretty special bunch....

Back