Cal South 2004 Player Pool Announced

When you throw stones at another team you open yourself up.
Maybe in the heat of the moment you haven't really assessed the game. Please review the tape and then tell me again that your team didn't play any kickball?
Really!
The whole buildup of that "goal" was your team playing popcorn ball.
Maybe watch your backline a tad more? Esp CB?

It's not throwing stones- its analysis. Let's analyze this. If Arsenal wanted to throw Surf off playing in the air is smart. It simply is- they took advantage of height, athleticism and speed.
When people lose they call it jungle ball, kickball, long ball. I get it and yes would love to see solid on the ground soccer but the only time that ever happens is Surf vs Deanza and sorry but no one is better than Deza.
However when you watch the video there was ALOT of air ball by Surf which I don't understand at all because their 6 and 9 are as good as they get in collection and distribution.

Ha ha. Myopic assumes that I don't have a broad base of experience when it comes to this topic. I think 11 years of watching high level girls soccer and 13 years of playing it along with having numerous conversations with soccer coaches and players gives me a little bit of perspective. That is what you lack.... Perspective. It's okay. I was there once. The difference is instead of ASSuming, I asked people who had been through it. They gave me good advice and I feel obligated to do the same (pay it forward). Do what you have to do for yours. I did what I had to for mine and it is working out. I would share my player's story but it likely would be lost on you.

Yes ....MyopiAPlay ....very short sighted - just by your comment alone - where you state that none of those girls will be recruited is a very immature and myopic statement especially this early in their development

Just because you might be a coach or have a kid that plays college doesn't make you the de-facto expert in this space ... far from it Jabroni!

Many of us on this board have played at the highest levels, been around talented Athletes ... we are not as new to this as you might ASSume ... Jabroni ... your perspective is myopic especially when it comes to spotting talent for 12 / 13 year old girl soccer ... know your role Jabroni!

Ha ha. Myopic assumes that I don't have a broad base of experience when it comes to this topic. I think 11 years of watching high level girls soccer and 13 years of playing it along with having numerous conversations with soccer coaches and players gives me a little bit of perspective. That is what you lack.... Perspective. It's okay. I was there once. The difference is instead of ASSuming, I asked people who had been through it. They gave me good advice and I feel obligated to do the same (pay it forward). Do what you have to do for yours. I did what I had to for mine and it is working out. I would share my player's story but it likely would be lost on you.
We collectively relieve you of your sense of "obligation" to share your experience. If we want it, we'll DM you and ask for it. Go enjoy your DD's college experience.

When you throw stones at another team you open yourself up.
Maybe in the heat of the moment you haven't really assessed the game. Please review the tape and then tell me again that your team didn't play any kickball?
Really!
The whole buildup of that "goal" was your team playing popcorn ball.
Maybe watch your backline a tad more? Esp CB?

No one is saying this was a pretty game, but it sure was effective

It's called game time strategy
Play to your strengths, don't play into theirs ... of course we're not going to match up with Surf playing style 'possession ball' - we leveraged our size, speed and strength which was overwhelming and disruptive

If Surf was that good as everyone anticipated them to be ...then they would have overcome the 'kick ball' as you frame it?

Think about this ....Maybe ..... we did not want Surf to have the ball at their feet or give time to get into a rythm or give them the passing lanes they desire...

Maybe we knew that that they are accustomed to having space and time and maybe we knew that team struggles in Close quarter battles for the ball.

Do you think it was by coincidence that there was so many balls in the air? or do think we were trying to use our height and air game abilities to move the ball forward? .... just saying #revelation

Again total outsider here:
Arsenal dominated physically with 50/50 especially on the wings.
I was mightily impressed with Arsenals backline and pretty shocked to hear they were missing their two best ODP regional defenders.
My question and what I cannot gather from the tape is what exactly was the foul that started this whole chain? The angle doesn't show it well- from my angle looks like a dive because you cannot see what their second CB running in did? Or I may need glasses?

Play to your strengths, don't play into theirs ... of course we're not going to match up with Surf playing style 'possession ball' - we leveraged our size, speed and strength which was overwhelming and disruptive

If Surf was that good as everyone anticipated them to be ...then they would have overcome the 'kick ball' as you frame it?

Think about this ....Maybe ..... we did not want Surf to have the ball at their feet or give time to get into a rythm or give them the passing lanes they desire...

Maybe we knew that that they are accustomed to having space and time and maybe we knew that team struggles in Close quarter battles for the ball.

Do you think it was by coincidence that there was so many balls in the air? or do think we were trying to use our height and air game abilities to move the ball forward? .... just saying #revelation

Even the mighty Barcelona (my fav team) has suffered against high pressure against their defense all season long. Should more teams do it, do they have the personnel to do it?

Again total outsider here:
Arsenal dominated physically with 50/50 especially on the wings.
I was mightily impressed with Arsenals backline and pretty shocked to hear they were missing their two best ODP regional defenders.

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but I'll call it as I see it, if you call Arsenal ugly, then what would you call Surf (in this particular game)?

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but I'll call it as I see it, if you call Arsenal ugly, then what would you call Surf (in this particular game)?

I was not calling Arsenal ugly the Surf mom was.
I have no emotion at all when dissecting this.
My only regret is that the audio was silenced and I couldnt hear Pauley screaming. That's the best and when you know the team is rattled.

I was not calling Arsenal ugly the Surf mom was.
I have no emotion at all when dissecting this.
My only regret is that the audio was silenced and I couldnt hear Pauley screaming. That's the best and when you know the team is rattled.

Actually I was agreeing with you, after I posted I realized it might come off a different way. I saw Arsenal dominate and suffocate Surf. I was referring to another post calling out Arsenal for playing kickball (and that may be true), but in this particular game, Surf played a worse version of kickball.

Actually I was agreeing with you, after I posted I realized it might come off a different way. I saw Arsenal dominate and suffocate Surf. I was referring to another post calling out Arsenal for playing kickball (and that may be true), but in this particular game, Surf played a worse version of kickball.

The pop and flick. When did the poo and flick start? Horrible just horrible.
Deanza owns you if you play that way. La Rocca just makes Arsenal look like they are playing nice. I am telling you La Rocca is something else

Yes ....MyopiAPlay ....very short sighted - just by your comment alone - where you state that none of those girls will be recruited is a very immature and myopic statement especially this early in their development

Just because you might be a coach or have a kid that plays college doesn't make you the de-facto expert in this space ... far from it Jabroni!

Many of us on this board have played at the highest levels, been around talented Athletes ... we are not as new to this as you might ASSume ... Jabroni ... your perspective is myopic especially when it comes to spotting talent for 12 / 13 year old girl soccer ... know your role Jabroni!

At least be original toolbot. Your team plays kickball. Your players are kick ballers. You might as well line up on a baseball diamond not a soccer pitch. I call BS with you playing at any level past high school. You are waaaay too stupid sounding. I would say good luck but it sounds like your team is getting tons of DA offers. Not sure what that means but talk to me when you have players getting college offers. I am fully aware of your crappy club and since the Kooiman's left it has been a shit show. You probably don't even know who the Kooiman's are due to ignorance and being dropped on your head in infancy.

Is your daughter one of those ODP players or is she a scrub riding the coattails of other players. My bet is that she is a "role player" and you are some douchebag feeling your oats because of your 14 year old daughters meaningless kickball championship.

Keep talking about other peoples kids. It sounds like it excites you.

I think what Arsenal played was a kickball/rugby hybrid. You can't rewrite what is on film. Complete crap. If any of those players are offered money from a top 25 team I would be completely shocked. Kickball does not equal soccer. If a player has a donkey first touch and can't receive a pass they are not going to be a top college player.

At least be original toolbot. Your team plays kickball. Your players are kick ballers. You might as well line up on a baseball diamond not a soccer pitch. I call BS with you playing at any level past high school. You are waaaay too stupid sounding. I would say good luck but it sounds like your team is getting tons of DA offers. Not sure what that means but talk to me when you have players getting college offers. I am fully aware of your crappy club and since the Kooiman's left it has been a shit show. You probably don't even know who the Kooiman's are due to ignorance and being dropped on your head in infancy.

Is your daughter one of those ODP players or is she a scrub riding the coattails of other players. My bet is that she is a "role player" and you are some douchebag feeling your oats because of your 14 year old daughters meaningless kickball championship.

Keep talking about other peoples kids. It sounds like it excites you.
I have heard your player is a good soccer player and a great athlete.

Again congrats to both teams, truly the top 2 teams in the age group, styles aside.

The game overall was very ugly, @Kongzilla has already said as much and admitted that the game plan was to do the one thing that stifles Surf and that's ramp it up, press, knock them off the ball and win the game with athleticism. If you saw Surf play Blues Kale this past season it was very similar.

Did Surf play pretty? Not really, but have to give Arsenal the credit for that, they didn't let them. But if you look at what MAP is speaking to, it's the long term goal and attempt to see, collect, analyze, and execute with proficiency that sets these two teams apart. Yes Arsenal wins National Cup and so many other trophies but what does it say that Surf is doing the same but playing a style that is both competitive and technical, allowing their kids to collect the tools in a robust toolbox for when the time comes they achieve the long terms goals to play at the highest level and / or get the best college education they can with little to no cost.

I know plenty of the Arsenal kids and the families are "energetic and rowdy" and they're good people that eventually all come around to having to admit they went along for a ride and bought into some stuff they regret later. RB is a heck of a recruiter and from a training aspect he pushes the kids very much like a football coach and squeezes everything out of them. He can build a motor into a kid like you never imagined. And even though the kids practice the skills, when it comes game time it seems like the "game plan" they had against Surf is the "game plan" they have against everyone. I would respect their coaches a bit more if it truly was a game plan but when it's your M.O., it makes one respect the way Surf plays even more so.

I have no doubt Arsenal will go on and represent CalSouth and get results at FWR and the 04 girls will go back to the 03 ECNL squad and will continue to be competitive but like so many other Arsenal girls before them, after Kooimans left, these kids will move on to other programs where coaches will clean more than few things up and plenty of these kids will get into college and live out their dreams. It's just painful having to watch them during the Arsenal days if I'm being honest because they have more to offer than just winning with the "game plan".

My dd got to play MVLA, DeAnza and San Juan earlier this year and was impressed with all 3.. I do think that MVLA and DeAnza are(or were) on a different level from everyone else I saw. They both played great soccer, with speed and precision and had good athletes around the field.

This isn't being a hater at all, Arsenal won, period, but to deny that they play kickball means you either didn't watch them or you don't know what soccer is supposed to look like. The constant pressure we hear about = every ball getting to their backline is kicked in the air as far as they can... pressure or not, don't settle and look to play thru the midfield or switch fields etc. but boot it and try to keep the game on the other teams half. That doesn't mean, nor am I saying there aren't skilled players there but I would offer that all the 'foot skills' in the world are meaningless if you panic under pressure and revert to just kicking.

Congrats to Arsenal and Surf for making it to FWR and I hope they both represent! Arsenal, play your game and do it the best you can, there is nothing to apologize for to anyone. Surf, will match up well with anyone and I think we'll see both teams do well against anyone they play, both teams are stacked with great athletes.

Both teams played kickball, and it was disappointing. Is it win at all costs at age 12?

I would gather she knows quite a bit more about college level soccer, and what a girl needs to make it there, better than you do. I also agree with her that there is very little skill required to play the kickball I saw in the Arsenal v surf game, and I have never seen a college soccer game played like that. But I guess RB has you guys drinking enough kool aid to think rugby/kickball is going to get them past high school soccer.

@Kongzilla has already said as much and admitted that the game plan was to do the one thing that stifles Surf and that's ramp it up, press, knock them off the ball and win the game with athleticism. If you saw Surf play Blues Kale this past season it was very similar.

Did Surf play pretty? Not really, but have to give Arsenal the credit for that, they didn't let them. But if you look at what MAP is speaking to, it's the long term goal and attempt to see, collect, analyze, and execute with proficiency that sets these two teams apart. Yes Arsenal wins National Cup and so many other trophies but what does it say that Surf is doing the same but playing a style that is both competitive and technical, allowing their kids to collect the tools in a robust toolbox for when the time comes they achieve the long terms goals to play at the highest level and / or get the best college education they can with little to no cost.

I know plenty of the Arsenal kids and the families are "energetic and rowdy" and they're good people that eventually all come around to having to admit they went along for a ride and bought into some stuff they regret later. RB is a heck of a recruiter and from a training aspect he pushes the kids very much like a football coach and squeezes everything out of them. He can build a motor into a kid like you never imagined. And even though the kids practice the skills, when it comes game time it seems like the "game plan" they had against Surf is the "game plan" they have against everyone. I would respect their coaches a bit more if it truly was a game plan but when it's your M.O., it makes one respect the way Surf plays even more so.

I have no doubt Arsenal will go on and represent CalSouth and get results at FWR and the 04 girls will go back to the 03 ECNL squad and will continue to be competitive but like so many other Arsenal girls before them, after Kooimans left, these kids will move on to other programs where coaches will clean more than few things up and plenty of these kids will get into college and live out their dreams. It's just painful having to watch them during the Arsenal days if I'm being honest because they have more to offer than just winning with the "game plan".
I knew this had to be an RB Arsenal team with team descriptions of fast, athletic, ball in the air, kickball.

My dd got to play MVLA, DeAnza and San Juan earlier this year and was impressed with all 3.. I do think that MVLA and DeAnza are(or were) on a different level from everyone else I saw. They both played great soccer, with speed and precision and had good athletes around the field.

All excellent teams, was especially impressed with MVLA.

Back