Cal South 2004 Player Pool Announced

I can't help but laugh at this post. I watched two college games yesterday and let's just say that Arsenal team doesn't have one player that my players team would recruit. You can keep puffing out your chest and think what you will but I doubt you have ever seen high level girls soccer if you think that game was good.

How many 8 or more pass sequences did Arsenal complete? They seemed to be just a physical team which WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING at the higher levels. You say 4 Arsenal players made the cut. How did they do in the winter pool this year? I think that you are mistaking me for a ULittle parent. You are wrong and clearly a whacko.

MAP total respect for you honest question here- I have felt the same this year that #9 on Surf is a great player, quick feet, athletic, bursts of speed and all around nice vision and have enjoyed watching her. I find though that coaches typically are favoring this large and lumbering type of midfielder and the more middle sized but clearly faster and more "quick to react" are not first recognized.
It worked at age 9 but I see it really starting to catch up with the girls as they are slow, they don't play defense, I feel like I am watching slow motion soccer.
I am a physician and have thought about this from a developmental aspect so are we at the age group where the hormones and growth etc are coming into play? Hips getting wider, body changes etc? Did you see that with your daughters teams? Did their rate and speed of play change at the 14-15 year old mark? I feel as if we are in a transitional year of "soccer" so to speak

It's very difficult to have soccer discussion on this forum because parents get extremely upset when you point out things. They are still looking at it emotionally rather than as a student of the game. It would be nice if people could put aside their alliances to examine the actual game played once in awhile though for sure. It would probably help the girls as well .

Is ODP relevant anymore on the boy's side?

Depends on who you ask. All the phenomenal 04-05 who are training overseas etc are in Academy so they are not in ODP but the ODP cal south team still does well. There is no question however on the boys side that DA is King. They are introducing ECNL which is largely laughed at.
The truly special players are in Academy but burnout, stress, travel and grades are a real concern. They also have to choose soccer only which to a boy you can see may be harder to specialize

Whacko Jacko MakeAPlay ... what's wrong...you Mad?

No one is puffing their chest out, I just think your assessment is wrong ...based off just one game.

In part your blaming The game plan of playing over the top, not letting Surf get any rhythm in the midfield and cutting off passing lanes.

The Arsenal girls have skills that many underestimate, I have seen them all year play with skills including the keeper.

Their is no doubt that Surf plays the best Posseion ball, but their is no doubt that when pressured with speed and physicality Surf could not mount any signifigant runs at the goal like their use too - translation they got take out of their game, Arsenal made them uncomfortable unlike any other team they face

Now I am not sure if your some 40 year old Graduate assistant on a DIII school trying to play big time coach - but I'm willing to bet it's a bit to early and myopic to start making Whack Ass claims on whether any of these 12/13 year old girls will move onto the next level - which they will.

MakeAPlay - Slowly step away from the Mic ...cuz your soccer takes are Wiggidy, Wiggidy Whack!

No one is puffing their chest out, I just think your assessment is wrong ...based off just one game.

In part your blaming The game plan of playing over the top, not letting Surf get any rhythm in the midfield and cutting off passing lanes.

The Arsenal girls have skills that many underestimate, I have seen them all year play with skills including the keeper.

Their is no doubt that Surf plays the best Posseion ball, but their is no doubt that when pressured with speed and physicality Surf could not mount any signifigant runs at the goal like their use too - translation they got take out of their game, Arsenal made them uncomfortable unlike any other team they face

Now I am not sure if your some 40 year old Graduate assistant on a DIII school trying to play big time coach - but I'm willing to bet it's a bit to early and myopic to start making Whack Ass claims on whether any of these 12/13 year old girls will move onto the next level - which they will.

MakeAPlay - Slowly step away from the Mic ...cuz your soccer takes are Wiggidy, Wiggidy Whack!

Objectively speaking I concur. Shirt on shirt it's a different game than when you give them any space.
Taking them out of their game is no different than what Sweden did to the US in the World Cup.
Pauley is a smart coach- it will be interesting to see how he changes their game against the likes of Deanza, La Rocca. La Rocca is no joke and if you thought Arsenal plays a more physical game wait until you see La Rocca!

MAP total respect for you honest question here- I have felt the same this year that #9 on Surf is a great player, quick feet, athletic, bursts of speed and all around nice vision and have enjoyed watching her. I find though that coaches typically are favoring this large and lumbering type of midfielder and the more middle sized but clearly faster and more "quick to react" are not first recognized.
It worked at age 9 but I see it really starting to catch up with the girls as they are slow, they don't play defense, I feel like I am watching slow motion soccer.
I am a physician and have thought about this from a developmental aspect so are we at the age group where the hormones and growth etc are coming into play? Hips getting wider, body changes etc? Did you see that with your daughters teams? Did their rate and speed of play change at the 14-15 year old mark? I feel as if we are in a transitional year of "soccer" so to speak

You are 100% spot on. It was hard for me to watch as everything was in slow motion. I watched a club game live yesterday that had quite a few committed players and only one that I saw played fast enough to play at a P5 conference school and that players parents told me that she has been working on her college workout packet religiously and it showed. This is definitely a transition year in many ways. You will see a steep decline in teams and players for various reasons. The good news is that attrition equals opportunity. The girls that continue to work hard on their game will pass many of the early bloomers. I found with my player's team that between 13 and 15 the parent intervention declines and the girls had to learn to push themselves. The ones that did are playing in college. The ones that didn't aren't. One of my players best friends from her team got a scholarship but decided she didn't want to play soccer in college and is working and going to school.

Regarding speed of play, my players coach that was instrumental in her development emphasized playing fast. It is how they practiced and played and anybody that couldn't keep up didn't stay for long.

Regarding the physical changes that our young ladies went through, some adjust well to the changes and some didn't. Some maintained their speed some unfortunately didn't. I remember when my daughter sprouted up from a little over 5 foot to about where she is now. It took her time to get used to longer legs, thicker everything, etcetera. I wish that I could say that it gets better. However, the reality is that some do and some don't. The only thing that I noticed that differentiated those that adjusted and those that didn't was their work ethic and self motivation.

Krazyy Soccer you are correct - Facts are facts

I was just thinking about more an apples to apples perspective

As the Showcase and Surf did not have the complete team Surf faced in League or National cup

No doubt and no excuse you own the record, Surf Team is an exceptional group of DD's - for us it's always the big game when we play against Surf

Kong I am far from mad. My player is already there dumba$$! I honestly couldn't care less what happens to any of those Arsenal players. I have seen many parents like you that eventually disappear when reality hits. It must really hurt that your little Mia plays kickball. Try teaching her possession when she is 16 see how that works out. Pauley is doing the right thing. Teaching his players to play the ball on the ground. Hate on it now you will see how that works out.

Reality hurts sometime. Just deal with the fact that they play kick-jungleball.

Krazyy Soccer you are correct - Facts are facts

I was just thinking about more an apples to apples perspective

As the Showcase and Surf did not have the complete team Surf faced in League or National cup

No doubt and no excuse you own the record, Surf Team is an exceptional group of DD's - for us it's always the big game when we play against Surf

So you played in the game Kong? You are the classic douche living through their child. Are you in Fontucky?

Kong, I'm not sure if any of the 4 ODP players on Arsenal is one of your DDs or not. None the less, if they aren't, don't be to consumed at winning at U14. What would happen, if those 4 ODP players bolt for Girls DA clubs like to Legends (local rival). Was the team built around those 4 players? Where the other girls developed to play a more cerebral game without them. I have seen winning teams who have won National Championships, where the star player end up committing to Stanford and the rest of her teammates to lower level mid-major schools. Another Championship team playing possession soccer and the majority of their players playing for top college academic/soccer universities. Then a team who never won anything, yet have a roster full of players committed to top academic/soccer universities. The question is where will your DD be when it matters most in a couple of years. Foresight is often overlooked in the bigger picture.

Objectively speaking I concur. Shirt on shirt it's a different game than when you give them any space.
Taking them out of their game is no different than what Sweden did to the US in the World Cup.
Pauley is a smart coach- it will be interesting to see how he changes their game against the likes of Deanza, La Rocca. La Rocca is no joke and if you thought Arsenal plays a more physical game wait until you see La Rocca!

Yes. ESPN - the game plan was not to let Surf get comfortable with the ball at their feet and pick us apart. But to play the game in Air with speed and physicalty that disrupted their Midfield and passing lanes

1-11 Surf is abetter possession team... so Arsenal had to play to Arsenal and strengths and advantages - which was very effective against this team.

To say Arsenal lacks technical skill is misnomenr, misleading to the Arsenal DD's - This is a very dangerous team that can play you both physical and finesse

It's very difficult to have soccer discussion on this forum because parents get extremely upset when you point out things. They are still looking at it emotionally rather than as a student of the game. It would be nice if people could put aside their alliances to examine the actual game played once in awhile though for sure. It would probably help the girls as well .
AMEN

Please refrain from these kind of racist comments.

MakeAPlay - your basing your assessment off of one game - I don't understand how you can make that assessment ... their must be a reason that many teams and coaches continue poach from the Arsenal Well ... their is a reason why Arsenal Girls show well at ODP

Your position is myopic Kind of like Mr. Magoo searching for his keys in the middle of the night

MakeAPlay - your basing your assessment off of one game - I don't understand how you can make that assessment ... their must be a reason that many teams and coaches continue poach from the Arsenal Well ... their is a reason why Arsenal Girls show well at ODP

Your position is myopic Kind of like Mr. Magoo searching for his keys in the middle of the night
I gotta say, MAP knows soccer, but no one is right all the time, she does have a rather poor delivery and can't see her own shortcomings.
I am just here to help.

Ha ha. Myopic assumes that I don't have a broad base of experience when it comes to this topic. I think 11 years of watching high level girls soccer and 13 years of playing it along with having numerous conversations with soccer coaches and players gives me a little bit of perspective. That is what you lack.... Perspective. It's okay. I was there once. The difference is instead of ASSuming, I asked people who had been through it. They gave me good advice and I feel obligated to do the same (pay it forward). Do what you have to do for yours. I did what I had to for mine and it is working out. I would share my player's story but it likely would be lost on you.

I gotta say, MAP knows soccer, but no one is right all the time, she does have a rather poor delivery and can't see her own shortcomings.
I am just here to help.

Kudos to both Arsenal and Surf, my DDs team was knocked out last Saturday. This time of year brings a lot of changes. Chatter on our sideline last week is
4 Surf starters are leaving. Not sure why any one would leave that team, they are playing great soccer.
Best of luck to everyone's DD next year.

All I can tell you is that in the game that I watched Surf played soccer. Arsenal played something different. I don't really care what label a player has. I watched the game and i was far from impressed. You may have DA teams blowing up your phone but if those players can't learn to receive a pass, play soccer with their head up, etcetera they won't be going to a top school for soccer.

Yes, and who score the goal with their hands, and not 1 hand ball but 2 that the Ref did not see. It's all on tape thanks to CalSouth. Kickball is not soccer.

Back