Cal South 2004 Player Pool Announced

I have two dds that have not made ODP once and are going academy. Do I think going academy is the end all be all no but at this time it is what is best for my girls. My girls were good enough to be on a top flight 1 team since U9 and have done very well...do I feel my girls are as good as some of those girls on the odp list heck yes but I actually think not getting picked is motivating my girls to want to get better. Up till now they have played high level club volleyball as well as club soccer and I did everything I could to make sure they didn't get burned out in soccer. I know they are a little behind technically but I also know you can't teach athleticism and heart which mine have. I have chosen DA for them because at this point they know they need extra practice with the ball at their feet and they have chosen to hang up the volleyball sneakers and play soccer full time. With the extra practice days for DA this is perfect for my girls. They are still in jr high so high school soccer isn't a concern at this point and our academy is funded so to me if they don't play a lot this next year I am ok with it. Every year I will reevaluate what is best for my dds and go from there. I think there are quite a few people in the same boat as me. I know on our Slammers team we had a lot of two star athletes on that team and all I can say is look out when these girls start getting multiple practices a week with a couple great trainers.
Exactly! And congrats to your girls Splinter!

I have two dds that have not made ODP once and are going academy. Do I think going academy is the end all be all no but at this time it is what is best for my girls. My girls were good enough to be on a top flight 1 team since U9 and have done very well...do I feel my girls are as good as some of those girls on the odp list heck yes but I actually think not getting picked is motivating my girls to want to get better. Up till now they have played high level club volleyball as well as club soccer and I did everything I could to make sure they didn't get burned out in soccer. I know they are a little behind technically but I also know you can't teach athleticism and heart which mine have. I have chosen DA for them because at this point they know they need extra practice with the ball at their feet and they have chosen to hang up the volleyball sneakers and play soccer full time. With the extra practice days for DA this is perfect for my girls. They are still in jr high so high school soccer isn't a concern at this point and our academy is funded so to me if they don't play a lot this next year I am ok with it. Every year I will reevaluate what is best for my dds and go from there. I think there are quite a few people in the same boat as me. I know on our Slammers team we had a lot of two star athletes on that team and all I can say is look out when these girls start getting multiple practices a week with a couple great trainers.

I got the the main points from your post.

1. Slammers: know Slammers will attract the studly non-DA Girls come college recruiting age, around U15/16. This happened with CSL Premier (prior #1 gaming league), ECNL, and it will happen at Girls DA.

2. You posted your DDs are behind technically and I bet is the reason they didn't get an ODP tryout letter. Wise if you to know, they need extra touches. They also can get those same touches on their own without playing Girls DA though.

3. Your DDs play volleyball, so I will assume they are tall and athletic. At ulittles club coaches love these type of players, because of their potential upside. Just know and I call this the compounding years. Yes, they will get more touches on the ball and become more comfortable. Just know the girls who are superior on the ball at the present will continue to get better on the ball as well and maintain the gap difference. If they don't those are the players who will he replaced in a couple of years.

Don't get salty! If you aren't hiding behind your screen name. Did your DD make the 2004 ODP team (final 18) or a YNT invite?
I'm not the one arguing a case nor am i biting on your admitted trolling of these forums. But, I'll close with these 2:

1-Just because you have experienced something doesn't make you an expert.

2-To be "Leftoff" implies you should be included.

Like I said they get it right for the top 10%. They miss on the rest. I hope you can see that. Just look at your 04 team. How many didn't get a look. Please stop drinking the hofffman cool aid. Odp is is over. 140 kids x $100. Cash cow is out of milk soon babyyyy.

And you keep making ASSumptions. You know what they say about that. I just watched the U13 National Cup final and none if those players play fast enough to be recruited by a top 10 school. Improvement in speed of play is needed all around. And the better team lost. Go figure.

LOl - these two teams have some of the best talent in So Cal ... which is why so many DA teams are blowing up our phones ... reality smack ...son!

Not sure if your comment stands true that the better team did not win .... we played this Surf team twice

1st game
CRL league game tied 0-0 - but Arsenal was the more dominate team in time of possession and shots on goal

2nd Game
Championship when it counts

Surfs offense never really got off the ground / Arsenal players too fast, Physical and disruptive ... Surf was uncomfortable from the Get Go.... and we did that with two of our defensive starters (ODP Players) out for the game due to injury

This Surf team is not what you think it is ...they are very beatable #proven

I'm not the one arguing a case nor am i biting on your admitted trolling of these forums. But, I'll close with these 2:

Don't despair 2004s. I just looked at 2 D1 rosters and it was maybe 60/40 whether they had been on ODP/not -- and that was "back in the day." Several of the ODP participants were in high school when they made it. YNT call-ups were more common, but mostly in late high school or in college already-- not at 12 years old.

I'm not an expert, but I know the process. Soccer landscape may change, yet the recruiting will remain the same.

That's what I though! You're a parent I described earlier and why you are salty!

Don't despair 2004s. I just looked at 2 D1 rosters and it was maybe 60/40 whether they had been on ODP/not -- and that was "back in the day." Several of the ODP participants were in high school when they made it. YNT call-ups were more common, but mostly in late high school or in college already-- not at 12 years old.

I go back to the premise that a lot changes between 11-14. The difference in puberty is astounding and this 04 championship game really showed a huge difference in size and stature.
I also think the point is being overlooked that "back on the day" when I watched ECNL games I could see 1-11 players on teams who are stars- canales, macario, Doyle, dunphy all gracing the same club and teams- it was astounding. I used to take my u little to watch them all. The teams now don't seem to have the same feel because it's more diluted so I get the point that part of the reason why these girls seemed to be so dang good was natural talent but also that they all played against one another so much and at the high level. It was a truly special thing to watch the last 3-4 years

There is no doubt in my mind you are getting calls. When I saw the Blues 03 DA coach sitting there with his Pen and pad I had to do a double take!
Congratulations. Sky is the limit whether you stay or move to a DA.
Regardless let's be honest everyone we have Surf, ARSENAL And hopefully LAGSD OR RSC representing us what's not to love about that ?

LOl - these two teams have some of the best talent in So Cal ... which is why so many DA teams are blowing up our phones ... reality smack ...son!

Not sure if your comment stands true that the better team did not win .... we played this Surf team twice

1st game
CRL league game tied 0-0 - but Arsenal was the more dominate team in time of possession and shots on goal

2nd Game

Surfs offense never really got off the ground / Arsenal players too fast, Physical and disruptive ... Surf was uncomfortable from the Get Go.... and we did that with two of our defensive starters (ODP Players) out for the game due to injury

1st game

2nd Game

All I can tell you is that in the game that I watched Surf played soccer. Arsenal played something different. I don't really care what label a player has. I watched the game and i was far from impressed. You may have DA teams blowing up your phone but if those players can't learn to receive a pass, play soccer with their head up, etcetera they won't be going to a top school for soccer.

The truth hurts sometime.

All I can tell you is that in the game that I watched Surf played soccer. Arsenal played something different. I don't really care what label a player has. I watched the game and i was far from impressed. You may have DA teams blowing up your phone but if those players can't learn to receive a pass, play soccer with their head up, etcetera they won't be going to a top school for soccer.

And here I thought that you would say the only college bound player on that field was six from Arsenal????
Come on MAP give it up! Who do you like?
I vote 9 from surf!
6 from Arsenal - at least I think six the forward?

You're sour about ODP, because your DD was cut. Funny, they get it right 25% of the time. You are so WRONG! In the 1999 birth year, here are the players who made Pro+/ODP Cal-South team aka top 18 team throughout the years and which college they are playing at this fall.

Ashley Sanchez-UCLA
Kiara Pickett-Stanford
Brooke Reddington-Stanford
Sohia Serafin-Stanford
Catarina Macario-Stanford
Karina Rodriguez-UCLA
Sabrina Encisco-Arizona
Mina G.-USD
Vivianna Villacorta-UCLA
Denea Antonie-CAL
Lauren Payne-Wash St
Hanna Goff-Wash St
Caitlin Sanchez-Washington
Hillary Beal-Michigan
Zoey Clevely-Pepperdine
Lou Ishikawa-Pepperdine
Choie Boice-Notre Dame
Savannah Madden-University of Texas (Longhorns)
Lauren Brzyski-UCLA
Sydney Carr-UCI
Hanna Sharts-UCLA
Tera McKeown-USC
Samantha Fisher-Notre Dame

I would say ODP coaches and their staff get it right more like 95% of the time! #facts

Agree this list can be made for the 00 and 01 classes very easily as well

12 of the current 18 01 have been called into the USGNT camp.

Striker17 - Good Post - something to think about for sure ... your perspective is one I can vibe with

My Take
The theory of Evolution and competition will begin to take shape in the soccer world - as no two equal forces can occupy the same space - in my opinion One of two things could happen

1. The more DA + ECNL teams the more - diluted the talent pool will become across the So Cal soccer landscape and we won't have as quality teams as in Years past

Or

2. DA & ECNL and other competive programs ODP - will co-exist and re-invent themselves evolving into Niches with selected specialties and attributes

The net effect of this could actually lift and improve the competitive soccer landscape by lifting up Tier 2 players a lot a quicker - accelerating the competitiveness factor in our region

Either Way we are headed for an evolutionary process of Natural selection in the soccer world - I and DD's will be along for the ride for sure

Thanks Striker17 for a thought provoking post!

Let's not forget either no one knows what will happen with DA early on. They will definitely have bugs to work out just like ECNL did.

MakeAPlay - Luckily your opinion is worth as much as 5 day old Kimchi and a pair of dirty socks.

You are lulled into assuming and underestimating the talent and technical skill that some of these girls have

The Style of play does not truly represent the skill set that some of these girls possessed as evident by 4 Arsenal players making the final 2004 ODP cut last year (Final Cut)

And for your edification half that team is being highly recruited to DA and other clubs - and I can surmise you know who they are and you know why.

If Surf was that impressive they would have mounted a more aggressive attack with more shots on Goal - and would have dominated the middle with their talented mids ... but Surf did not which is why they struggle in the middle and final 3rds

Your assessment is off base and lucid at best... you need to stop smoking that 5 day old Kimchi ... cuz your takes are just Puchi!

MakeAPlay - Luckily your opinion is worth as much as 5 day old Kimchi and a pair of dirty socks.

You are lulled into assuming and underestimating the talent and technical skill that some of these girls have

The Style of play does not truly represent the skill set that some of these girls possessed as evident by 4 Arsenal players making the final 2004 ODP cut last year (Final Cut)

And for your edification half that team is being highly recruited to DA and other clubs - and I can surmise you know who they are and you know why.

If Surf was that impressive they would have mounted a more aggressive attack with more shots on Goal - and would have dominated the middle with their talented mids ... but Surf did not which is why they struggle in the middle and final 3rds

Your assessment is off base and lucid at best... you need to stop smoking that 5 day old Kimchi ... cuz your takes are just Puchi!

I can't help but laugh at this post. I watched two college games yesterday and let's just say that Arsenal team doesn't have one player that my players team would recruit. You can keep puffing out your chest and think what you will but I doubt you have ever seen high level girls soccer if you think that game was good.

How many 8 or more pass sequences did Arsenal complete? They seemed to be just a physical team which WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING at the higher levels. You say 4 Arsenal players made the cut. How did they do in the winter pool this year? I think that you are mistaking me for a ULittle parent. You are wrong and clearly a whacko.

And here I thought that you would say the only college bound player on that field was six from Arsenal????
Come on MAP give it up! Who do you like?
I vote 9 from surf!
6 from Arsenal - at least I think six the forward?

All I got to see is one game. Maybe I would see all of the impressive stuff if I saw them against a less physical team. All I can say is what I saw. I am used to watching a much faster speed of play. I am used to a team routinely putting together 8+ passing sequences, smart runs off the ball, extremely technical play at EVERY position not to mention a keeper that is involved with her feet.

I have a really high bar.

Fact check
CORRECTION you played Surf 4x
Arsenal lost to Surf at the showcase
Arsenal lost to Surf at Surf Thanksgiving
2 loses
1 tie
1 win

1st game

2nd Game

Back