All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

Why'd you come, you knew you should have stayed
I tried to warn you just to stay away
And now they're outside ready to bust
It looks like you might be one of us"

A "Best Fit" algorithm would suggest that SoCal Blues is the best team so far!

See below for very early rankings for CalSouth Girl's 2009 teams based on the top flight of Flight 1 tournaments (Legends, Cerritos, Manchester City, Rebels Cup). I didn't include the Nike Pyramid Cup at this time as it didn't have the top teams. A major caveat is the ranking is only based on 47 games and will continue to improve with more games. I or someone else (wink, wink) that wants to keep track of the '09 girls can add flight 2 of each tournament and flight 2 tournaments going forward.

The methodology uses a "best fit" algorithm that takes as input scores from all tournaments and league play to then come up with a "strength" number (SRS) for each team. The difference in SRS tells you how many more goals better one team is than another.

G09 614rankings.png

Yep, sorry to bust your bubble Soccer Affliction but Blues are the still the best team from a statistics standpoint. I have the full rankings...but I'm not posting them just yet since I know I will get BLASTED if I do. But to give a short summary, 1.) Blues 2.) CDA Slammers Cruz 3.) Liverpool. Newport Slammers will fall somewhere in the top four once they get some games recorded. Right below them you have Eagles, SD Force, LA Galaxy SB and Albion.

Any of those top four teams can beat each other on any given day. That's the beauty of soccer...there will never seemingly be a dominant team for an age group. The #5-8 teams can give the top teams a run for the money but are just a notch below the top.

This thread is reminding me of the last verses of a popular song:

"You're lovin' on the freakshow sitting next to you
You'll have some weird people sitting next to you
You'll think "how did I get here, sitting next to you?"
But after all I've said, please don't forget

All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

Why'd you come, you knew you should have stayed
I tried to warn you just to stay away
And now they're outside ready to bust
It looks like you might be one of us"
Yep, sorry to bust your bubble Soccer Affliction but Blues are the still the best team from a statistics standpoint. I have the full rankings...but I'm not posting them just yet since I know I will get BLASTED if I do. But to give a short summary, 1.) Blues 2.) CDA Slammers Cruz 3.) Liverpool. Newport Slammers will fall somewhere in the top four once they get some games recorded. Right below them you have Eagles, SD Force, LA Galaxy SB and Albion.

Any of those top four teams can beat each other on any given day. That's the beauty of soccer...there will never seemingly be a dominant team for an age group. The #5-8 teams can give the top teams a run for the money but are just a notch below the top.
i was just trolling for fun.... my daughter is not even on this team just wanted to see how many people care about kindergarteners players...just playing guys ....lol

See below for very early rankings for CalSouth Girl's 2009 teams based on the top flight of Flight 1 tournaments (Legends, Cerritos, Manchester City, Rebels Cup). I didn't include the Nike Pyramid Cup at this time as it didn't have the top teams. A major caveat is the ranking is only based on 47 games and will continue to improve with more games. I or someone else (wink, wink) that wants to keep track of the '09 girls can add flight 2 of each tournament and flight 2 tournaments going forward.

The methodology uses a "best fit" algorithm that takes as input scores from all tournaments and league play to then come up with a "strength" number (SRS) for each team. The difference in SRS tells you how many more goals better one team is than another.

View attachment 1053
Just out of curiosity, if slammers have a better record and if slammers already beat Blues head to head how are Blues ranked ahead of CDA? Don't have a kid on either team, but just wondering

Just out of curiosity, if slammers have a better record and if slammers already beat Blues head to head how are Blues ranked ahead of CDA? Don't have a kid on either team, but just wondering
Record really doesn't matter too much in the rankings. It's based on how much are you winning by and how strong is the team that you're playing. Blues and CDA Slammers had each beaten each other twice in the last year.

BTW, not buying Soccer Affliction saying he is just trolling. Knowing that they won their last 3 tournaments is very specific information...nice try.

Record really doesn't matter too much in the rankings. It's based on how much are you winning by and how strong is the team that you're playing. Blues and CDA Slammers had each beaten each other twice in the last year.

BTW, not buying Soccer Affliction saying he is just trolling. Knowing that they won their last 3 tournaments is very specific information...nice try.
Agree with you, just weird and random

Have to agree. Always interested in these algorithms. Slammers are 7-0 overall and 4-0 vs top 10 and 1-0 vs Blues while Blues are 0-1 and 3-1 overall. No algorithm should have Blues ahead of Slammers if this is just based off the above listed games. Someone needs to check their formulas.

Have to agree. Always interested in these algorithms. Slammers are 7-0 overall and 4-0 vs top 10 and 1-0 vs Blues while Blues are 0-1 and 3-1 overall. No algorithm should have Blues ahead of Slammers if this is just based off the above listed games. Someone needs to check their formulas.
Have to agree with you, with the overall record and with this years head to head matchup, CDA Slammers should be first. Unless it's from this year and last year then I would say it was the Blues.

Then if the record doesn't count it should be called "my opinion " . Because even if you look at the goal differential it's not even close... but if it's for the past 2 years then Blues it a better team

I'm actually using the same algorithm as Carlsbad10. The difference is that he threw together data from flight1 tournaments this year only whereas I have data from all 2009 games stretching back through last year. The algorithm is a bit off when you have limited data...you really need more games to make all of the connections between teams...especially to connect SD, OC and LA teams that do not play each other often. But as you add more games/data you really start to see things leveling out.

This also brings up the question on how do you place greater emphasis/weight on games this year opposed to last year. I tried playing around with the algorithm (giving this year's games a 2X or 4X weight) but it actually didn't change up rankings all that much.

rank.jpg

I'm actually using the same algorithm as Carlsbad10. The difference is that he threw together data from flight1 tournaments this year only whereas I have data from all 2009 games stretching back through last year. The algorithm is a bit off when you have limited data...you really need more games to make all of the connections between teams...especially to connect SD, OC and LA teams that do not play each other often. But as you add more games/data you really start to see things leveling out.

This also brings up the question on how do you place greater emphasis/weight on games this year opposed to last year. I tried playing around with the algorithm (giving this year's games a 2X or 4X weight) but it actually didn't change up rankings all that much.

View attachment 1061
Ok so this is the rankings for the last 2 years not this year right?

SoCal Blues and San Diego Surf are also good teams I love the fact that some of these teams are focusing more on passing and spreading the field more than just kickball.

View attachment 1053
Any updates on new rankings?

Any updates on new rankings?
I'll post something up after this weekend. A LOT of 2009 games going on this weekend. Albion Cup will be interesting to watch with 6 of the top 12 teams all playing in the top flight...although I'm guessing Blues will run away with this one. Copa Del Mar and Fullerton Rangers Open have a lot of teams playing as well.

Back