Academy season

Competition and Rivalries are good.

After Chivas folded Galaxy didn't have many but that's changing now with LAFC coming on board plus upcoming LA United nipping at there heals with Golden State always in the mix.

Easier to accept W's for the most part, but sometime's L's are just or more important, tends to show the real character of teams and the next time they meet who knows?

Most everyone wants to be on the "Top" #1 or whatever team but its not that simple really, be careful what you wish for and make sure the players fits well and knows fully what they are getting into.

Some players will work harder on a lesser team because they have to, they might develop better this way. When all you're teammates are that good some tend to relax a bit too much at times and not do as much, the pressure to live up to expectations or always win wears on players also.

Competition and Rivalries bring things out in players that you many see as often vs the "average" team. You have to win or beat another team to create a Rivalry unless its about territory. Rivalries can bring out the best of the player or not, that's one of the things that makes soccer interesting IMO.

There seems to be this contagious disease in this forum where any longball, or direct play, is automatically bad, or not "true" soccer. That's bullshit.

It's part of the game. If teams are committing 3 forwards and at least 2 mids to a press, longballing it to a wide open winger is the correct play. The point is to move the ball to space, force the other team to stretch their formation to cover that space, and exploit the gaps.

Some teams are over committing to the press, expecting their opponents to tiki-taka into their press, and then bitching when their opponents longball over their trap. There's an easy way to beat the longball, space your players properly when pressing.

Well said..
thank you.

I recommend everybody on this site read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. He talks about how the Canada junior national hockey team was all born between Jan. and June with most being born between Jan. and April. (Hockey goes by birth year, as does soccer).

Gladwell's point was when selecting elite junior players, coaches ended up selecting for the most physically mature players, even though they thought they were picking the best players. I read in another article that there can be up to 4 years difference in physical maturity between kids this age. I don't recall an article on this point, but I also believe there's a big difference in mental maturity in this age as well, with some kids just too mentally immature to focus.

My point is, kids at this age group are all over the place physically and mentally, so going nuts on whose the best team, or whose the best player, doesn't mean much at this age because it's gonna change as early maturers come back to the average and late maturers start to surge.

I personally am at the point where I don't give a shit if the team wins or loses. There's too much that goes into wins and losses that's beyond anyone's control. If the kid is getting smarter, improving his skills, working hard, getting good coaching, and getting good playing time, that's all that matters. I say just worry about whatever it takes to unlock the kids talent, and don't worry about the rest of the shit.

" coaches ended up selecting for the most physically mature players, even though they thought they were picking the best players."

These pay- for- play coaches know, they're not retarded that's how they make their living.

What do they care if the player makes pro or not? The objective is to win now and make that money.

I recommend everybody on this site read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. He talks about how the Canada junior national hockey team was all born between Jan. and June with most being born between Jan. and April. (Hockey goes by birth year, as does soccer).

Gladwell's point was when selecting elite junior players, coaches ended up selecting for the most physically mature players, even though they thought they were picking the best players. I read in another article that there can be up to 4 years difference in physical maturity between kids this age. I don't recall an article on this point, but I also believe there's a big difference in mental maturity in this age as well, with some kids just too mentally immature to focus.

My point is, kids at this age group are all over the place physically and mentally, so going nuts on whose the best team, or whose the best player, doesn't mean much at this age because it's gonna change as early maturers come back to the average and late maturers start to surge.

I personally am at the point where I don't give a shit if the team wins or loses. There's too much that goes into wins and losses that's beyond anyone's control. If the kid is getting smarter, improving his skills, working hard, getting good coaching, and getting good playing time, that's all that matters. I say just worry about whatever it takes to unlock the kids talent, and don't worry about the rest of the shit.
Agree 100%

A good gauge as to kids physical potential is to look at the parents. It's always interesting to me when I see parents who somehow think there kids will physically grow into someone unlike themselves. If you're 5'5" most likely your kid will not grow much taller.

A good gauge as to kids physical potential is to look at the parents. It's always interesting to me when I see parents who somehow think there kids will physically grow into someone unlike themselves. If you're 5'5" most likely your kid will not grow much taller.

My hope is that my son is not really my son. LOL

Not what size or shape that matters but how you use it....

Playing /w or up vs older or bigger kids is suppose to be one benefits of the DA league, although don't see it used as much as in club. Varies by club; some only use up players in the BNT pools, w / the packed rosters don't help, but getting a opportunity does benefit development for those that take advantage.

Kids all grow at different rates, starts, stops. times so learning to play & being consistent no matter the competition or circumstances is one of things hopefully the players are getting better at.

ed9678ea08a6c3bf285215e202cc39c5.jpg

early maturers come back to the average and late maturers start to surge.
Coaches and trainers may suggest this being true. They won't all even out eventually. More likely boys lacking the mental and physical requirements needed for such an intense contact sport will quit soon. At U16 it appears as if they've evened out.

“Other teams look for young players who are tall, big and strong. There are teams here in Catalunya who at the under 10s level will beat Barca’s under 10s. But from that Barca under 10s team you will end up getting three footballers and from the under 10s of the other team not even one will make it. They are already thinking about winning instead of unearthing the technically gifted players which is Barcelona’s priority. You spot a youngster who can lift his head and play a first-time pass and you think, “He’s worth something, let’s have him come and train with us”.

- Xavi

Coaches and trainers may suggest this being true. They won't all even out eventually. More likely boys lacking the mental and physical requirements needed for such an intense contact sport will quit soon. At U16 it appears as if they've evened out.
At the younger ages size matters a lot more than at older ages. The kid who is 5'7" at 14 has a huge advantage over the kid who is 5'1". The kid who is 6'3" at age 18 has less of an advantage than the kid who is 5'8", and may not even have any advantage because the benefit of extra height comes with the cost of extra weight and decreased mobility.

My point is, at certain height ranges, the extra size matters a lot and at other height ranges it doesn't. It just so happens that u15 and under is the age range when the extra height and physical maturity will benefit.

Personally, I like players with speed, speed of legs and speed of thought. I think the academy coaches are good and will bring out the technical skills, but some players are just born with faster legs or faster minds. I think the kids with the combo of fast legs and fast brains will ultimately end up on top of the age group.

At the younger ages size matters a lot more than at older ages. The kid who is 5'7" at 14 has a huge advantage over the kid who is 5'1". The kid who is 6'3" at age 18 has less of an advantage than the kid who is 5'8", and may not even have any advantage because the benefit of extra height comes with the cost of extra weight and decreased mobility.

My point is, at certain height ranges, the extra size matters a lot and at other height ranges it doesn't. It just so happens that u15 and under is the age range when the extra height and physical maturity will benefit.

Personally, I like players with speed, speed of legs and speed of thought. I think the academy coaches are good and will bring out the technical skills, but some players are just born with faster legs or faster minds. I think the kids with the combo of fast legs and fast brains will ultimately end up on top of the age group.
Be careful when hearing any coach say he'll bring out technical skills from a 2003 kid. If your son doesn't have exceptional skill at this age he isn't going to be a soccer player, no matter what happens to his body from now on. And soccer requires certain physical and mental requirements, not limited to speed and size.
The problem with youth soccer here is the dads decide when and where to play, and when to quit. If our boys were playing street soccer like most every real soccer country they would decide.

Be careful when hearing any coach say he'll bring out technical skills from a 2003 kid. If your son doesn't have exceptional skill at this age he isn't going to be a soccer player, no matter what happens to his body from now on. And soccer requires certain physical and mental requirements, not limited to speed and size.
The problem with youth soccer here is the dads decide when and where to play, and when to quit. If our boys were playing street soccer like most every real soccer country they would decide.
This is the honest truth right here although it's hard for many to digest.

But based on JJP posts he's merely talking college level. Sometimes we have to look though their rose colored glasses to get an idea of what their talking about.

I'd like to hear more of ray8 and less JPP.

This is the honest truth right here although it's hard for many to digest.

But based on JJP posts he's merely talking college level. Sometimes we have to look though their rose colored glasses to get an idea of what their talking about.

I'd like to hear more of ray8 and less JPP.
I've done my best to ignore you because you are an asshole.

You know soccer well and you're a smart guy, but the fact is that it's incredibly difficult to project whose going to be a top player and who isn't, as evidenced by the 80-90% turnover rate at academies from u11-u18

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-posts/getting-it-right-why-talent-selection-doesnt-work-well-enough/

One of my son's ex-coaches, who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, places a huge value on determination and willpower. Another ex-coach ranks as the most important trait the ability to win balls. Another ex-coach selects players who are good at moving the ball around.

I respect ray's opinion, but I've seen kids with poor technique get better with more touches and better coaching. Usually the Mexican kids start off with a much higher soccer IQ, but I have seen the non-Mexicans catch up over time. I've never seen a slow kid become faster.

I like kids who have naturally fast minds and naturally fast feet. I think those are inborn advantages that cannot be coached. I also like those types of players because they are easy to evaluate. If you are fast and smart, why can't you win balls? Why can't you find the open pass? You can easily tell it's because they hate contact, or are lazy, or selfish.

Evaluating players without top end foot speed and fast mind is a guessing game. Will the kid get faster physically and mentally as he matures? Does a kid have enough foot speed to make up for slow decision making? Is a kids smarts enough to make up for a lack of top end speed? Does a slow kids superior in tight ball control and passing ability make up for lack of speed?

I just don't think you can really know with these types of players until they mature out.

Just heard from a creditable source that a number of GSA boys are moving to LAG. They include the goalie, a couple of midfielders and their stud forward. LAG is also looking at other players from other teams including LAUFA. Word has it that LAG coaches have been reaching out to parents.

Just heard from a creditable source that a number of GSA boys are moving to LAG. They include the goalie, a couple of midfielders and their stud forward. LAG is also looking at other players from other teams including LAUFA. Word has it that LAG coaches have been reaching out to parents.

There is momvement every year, but until current season is over no more changes until August since add/transfer windows are closed.

Couple players swapping teams is normal, with HS kicking in might be some more movement. Cuts likely for the those teams like LAG with big rosters & or those not scoring well on the evals at some clubs normally.

Next 2-3 months of league and some tournaments will be important for players, especially those on the bubble or 50% playing time or less.

LAFC plans to be in this age group for 18-19 so that will give some more opportunities & movement also but that's still a year+ away.

Do MLS Academy Really Develop players.
So is true then. Galaxy coaching staffs don't know how to develop player from scratch, only known to go around and steal good player from other club
es·pe·cial·ly, galaxy 03 coach he's not good.

.I've seen kids with poor technique get better with more touches and better coaching. Usually the Mexican kids start off with a much higher soccer IQ, but I have seen the non-Mexicans catch up over time. I've never seen a slow kid become faster.
Kids with poor technique can of course get much better, but if they don't have exceptional technique at this age they will not become soccer players. By soccer players I don't mean going pro, just being able to play real soccer.
Exceptional Latino boys generally grew up watching a lot of soccer, playing with their friends, cousins, uncles, dads. They've been touching the ball since maybe diapers. Non-Latino boys who play club generally were exceptional AYSO players, whose dads got convinced by someone at some point to go club. Dad doesn't know soccer, or perhaps played a perverted form of soccer years ago, so no clue as to what the sport requires in terms of development at stages.
Unfortunately, Latino dads often seem to know little about nutrition, and the fact that rest is development. Exceptional Latino players generally play way too many games, where the need to win is so strong they play through pain and compromise technique. These repeated micro injuries combined with poor nutrition are poisoning these boys. Perhaps that's why it may seem like the non-latinos are "catching up."

Reactions: JJP
Do MLS Academy Really Develop players.
No Academy on the west coast is developing players. Hopefully these parents considering sending their kids to Galaxy will have less of a commute. If it's for bragging rights or pursuing the dream it's borderline child abuse at this point in time.

Back