2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

Can I interrupt this programming to announce how excited I am for August??

Question is how many of those parents last night actually think their DDs will be recruited to play soccer for UCLA? o_O

Statistically speaking the number is astronomically small. However, I love it when little girls dream big!! Some of them will make it happen. Many will go to other good schools. I'm all for growing the game and it starts with the little girls.

Not sure what you mean by that. It was a good environment. Lots of club girls getting inspired to dream of bigger stages to play on. I thought that it was cute. #GIRLPOWER.

Sorry, I mean many slammers and legends clubs were 'mandated' to be there, forcing lots of parents to be there (I would estimate 70% of the crowd). Many of the 2008 players that were doing an exhibition game during half time had Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, friends, UCLA scouts, etc. there. There were 10+ people siting near me cheering on the 'big' girl that was owning one of the games and talking about how she might play for UCLA someday. Based on what I saw in 2-3 years she might make a flight 1 team. :)

Can I interrupt this programming to announce how excited I am for August??

You should be. I only went to one game in Malibu this year and it was lovely. I took a half day, went to Duke's and it was beautiful all around. They didn't even charge for parking. I'm a little sad that I won't be going there this season.

Sorry, I mean many slammers and legends clubs were 'mandated' to be there, forcing lots of parents to be there (I would estimate 70% of the crowd). Many of the 2008 players that were doing an exhibition game during half time had Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, friends, UCLA scouts, etc. there. There were 10+ people siting near me cheering on the 'big' girl that was owning one of the games and talking about how she might play for UCLA someday. Based on what I saw in 2-3 years she might make a flight 1 team. :)
I was going to post was it all Legends players and their parents in attendance. #lol #notsurprised

Gotcha!! Yeah I thought that it was weird when I showed up a half an hour before the game and couldn't find a seat. Luckily I ran into a parent that I knew and they squeezed me in. Most home games are around 1600-2000 people (especially the Sunday games). Maybe your dd should wear true blue and gold. They need forwards and the two players that she would have in their 2019 class are straight murderers on the pitch. They will win a national championship that season assuming Olympic qualifying doesn't get in the way. Either way they can always use uber elite attacking talent.

I was going to post was it all Legends players and their parents in attendance. #lol #notsurprised

There were Slammers, Pats and numerous other club teams there. It was cute. I think that the SoCal D1 soccer schools should definitely market the zillion clubs out there. Well maybe not USC since they can only fit like 50 people around their compound/field.

I didn't take it as demeaning. The Bruins were on their back foot for a good part of the game as expected against the 5th place NWSL team. Not to mention that they got back from spring break on Monday and only had one training session (Monday) in the last two weeks and Seattle starts their season next weekend. I was proud of how they played.

Only two UCLA players didn't get in the game out of 16 and one was the backup keeper. The keeper was the same both halves. She was just a little rusty. She will be fine come July.
Great opportunity for UCLA to play against a pro squad.
I wish more pro teams would market their product this way in the spring.
It would make sense for the league, and give the college teams some valuable lessons in speed and precision.

There were Slammers, Pats and numerous other club teams there. It was cute. I think that the SoCal D1 soccer schools should definitely market the zillion clubs out there. Well maybe not USC since they can only fit like 50 people around their compound/field.
Biggest issue with USC field is its size. Too small.
Its like a cage fight in there.

I caught the UCLA vs BYU game in Vegas and there was a lot of club players with their parents there too. It's the UCLA draw (obvious when a loud roar happens when UCLA scores) that parents are taking their DDs for, so their little girls could dream "BIG". There is nothing wrong with dreaming, but I'm more realistic. 99.9% of those little girls in attendance, if they play college soccer will be for a school other than UCLA. I am going to say, it's probably better getting into UCLA via academics.

USC field is 120 x 70 yds, Pepperdine field is 120 x 73 yds.
Thank you, professor.

I would add, that TFR field is closer to 75 yds wide, and was 68 yds wide before the renovation.
USC is at the minimum 70 yds wide, and seems a whole lot smaller when you see the size of their players.

There were two games going during Half Time. The stands were on the west side of the field, I watched the game on the north side of the field. Were they the 2008 players? The Legends team playing there was very good. They had 4-5 good players, played support. Enjoyable to watch. Didn't see any of the south field side game.

There were two games going during Half Time. The stands were on the west side of the field, I watched the game on the north side of the field. Were they the 2008 players? The Legends team playing there was very good. They had 4-5 good players, played support. Enjoyable to watch. Didn't see any of the south field side game.

There were some real good players - the passing was pretty good for their age. I was impressed with a bunch of those little nuggets.

I'll second that! Is your DD going to do summer school? Mine is. I'm looking for a 3rd job as I type this...

I don't think so. She has a WPSL commitment that would be hard to keep from Malibu and also has specific GK training she would not get up there. She's also following a very rigorous GAP packet she's been assigned; that combined with whatever fitness packet TW and the crew distributes should have her fitness test ready.

I don't think so. She has a WPSL commitment that would be hard to keep from Malibu and also has specific GK training she would not get up there. She's also following a very rigorous GAP packet she's been assigned; that combined with whatever fitness packet TW and the crew distributes should have her fitness test ready.

@gkrent Are you going to go to the Pepperdine scrimmage tomorrow?

Back