2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

It's so early hard to make heads or tails of anything yet.
I watched UNLV and the scorelines were nice but the teams they played were terrible. He needs to start scheduling better if he wants the program to grow. By comparison, their hardest non conference game is San Diego's State's easiest. What kid wants to go play cupcakes all season? Take some losses but stretch yourself. (And if you lose any of those easy games your RPI is shot).
I'm curious on Arizona. I can't watch that travesty to the game but will be interested if they get results. Has anyone seen them? Have they connected 4 passes in a row yet?
Also curious on Oregon. They talked a lot of off season game to open with a 4-1 loss. If they drop 2 this weekend they have to win the rest of non conference to get to .500 before the gauntlet begins.
UCLA is good. No question. AC said both LBSU and SDSU are good teams (and I thought both did some nice things. SDSU esp has some young talent. In the stands I heard their recruiting going forward has some big pick ups). Thursday will be fun. Jerry is my least favorite college coach so I am hoping for another dominant ucla performance.
USD was underwhelming. New coach soooo???
I thought USC was ugly (only saw a portion tho) and just so direct with no feel for the game. But again, first game so who knows.

These next two weekends will be telling, esp as the second tier of teams get better and sort out lineups and iron out early season wrinkles. Some real talent in so cal (both in our players and the teams we have to watch.) Lucky us and boo to the SEC! Your weather sucks and the bias is real!

I always thought that SDSU did a ton with what they get in terms of recruits. I just have always been confused as to how America's Finest City struggles to attract top talent. I bet if UCSD had D1 football and basketball and was D1 in soccer they would be a top 25 program rather quickly.

Regarding SCU, I always thought it was weird that he would marry an ex-player.

Maybe some prefer the Hero Sports quantitative rankings?? It was posted on 8/13...

Here is the link:http://herosports.com/colleges/sports/d1-womens-soccer

The quantitative rankings aren't very useful until midseason when there is enough data for them to have some predictive value. Unfortunately this early in the season you have to take into account a ton of offseason stuff that the math can't account for like recruiting class strength, returning players who missed the prior season (U20 WWC, Redshirt, transfers, injuries). Too many variables.

I have heard story after story from former players...and after listening to the way he coached his team so many years starting in 2011 one of my players was strongly discouraged to follow up on their overtures.

I have heard story after story from former players...and after listening to the way he coached his team so many years starting in 2011 one of my players was strongly discouraged to follow up on their overtures.

To be fair, his coaching style works great for some, and their legacy is also attractive to a lot of players.

I always thought that SDSU did a ton with what they get in terms of recruits. I just have always been confused as to how America's Finest City struggles to attract top talent. I bet if UCSD had D1 football and basketball and was D1 in soccer they would be a top 25 program rather quickly.

I don't think she was an ex-player very long before they got married. In today's world (with social media and the internet) I doubt a College Coach would be able to ride out the storm of scrutiny. ;)

No problem. You should check out the Long Beach stream for the UCLA game. You can access it from the LB State schedule. It links you to the Big West website. If you haven't seen it and you can stand the blather from the commentators it is worth a look. You tell me what you think about the two West Coast powers.

Weekend picks (winners in RED)

Thursday

Alabama vs. South Fla.
Boston U. vs. Northeastern
Cal St. Northridge
vs. Houston
Delaware vs
. Georgetown
Hawaii
vs. Pacific
Illinois vs.
Washington
Indiana vs. Louisville
Long Beach St. vs. Northwestern
Louisiana Tech vs. Mississippi St.

New Mexico State vs. New Mexico
North Carolina St.
vs. Coastal Carolina
Northern Colo. vs.
Colorado State
Oral Roberts vs. Kansas State
Samford vs. Florida St.
Tennessee
vs. East Tenn. St.
UCLA vs. Santa Clara
Utah vs. Utah St.
Wake Forest vs
. South Carolina
West Virginia
vs. Virginia
Wisconsin vs. Creighton

Friday

Arizona
vs. UC Irvine
Arkansas vs.
Penn St.
BYU vs. Cal St. Fullerton
Boston College
vs. Vanderbilt
Central Ark. vs. Missouri St.
Clemson vs. Auburn
Colorado
vs. TCU
Connecticut vs. Yale
Denver vs. UC Riverside
Duke vs. Bucknell
Florida vs.
Stanford
Gardner-Webb vs. Maryland
Gonzaga vs. SMU
Idaho vs. Boise St.
Iowa
vs. Iowa St.
Miami (Ohio) vs.
Miami (FL)
Montana
vs. Air Force
Morehead St.
vs. Bowling Green
Nebraska
vs. South Dakota
Northern Ariz. vs. Grand Canyon
Notre Dame
vs. Minnesota
Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St.
Ole Miss vs. Michigan
Oregon St. vs. Missouri
Pepperdine
vs. Texas Tech
Rice vs. Baylor
San Diego St. vs. Arizona St.
San Francisco vs. California
San Jose St.
vs. Eastern Wash.
Texas vs. UALR
Tulsa vs.
Kansas
UC Davis
vs. Portland
UCF vs. North Carolina
UNLV
vs. Utah Valley
UTEP vs.
Cal St. Bakersfield
Virginia Tech
vs. College of Charleston
Washington St. vs. St. Mary's (Cal.)
Wyoming vs. Southern Utah

Saturday

Ohio St.
vs. Buffalo
Sacramento St. vs
. Fresno St.
Seattle
vs. Pacific
Texas A&M vs. Oregon

Sunday

Alabama vs. Florida St.

Arkansas
vs. Abilene Christian
Auburn vs. North Dakota
Boston College vs. Colgate
Butler vs. Bowling Green
Cal St. Northridge vs. Utah Valley
Cincinnati vs. Miami (FL)
Colorado
vs. UC Riverside
Denver vs. Albany (NY)
Eastern Wash. vs. Air Force
Florida vs. Syracuse
Furman vs. Maryland
Georgetown
vs. Loyola (Md.)
Grand Canyon vs. Weber St.
Idaho vs. St. Mary's (Cal.)
Idaho St. vs. Boise St.
Iowa vs. Notre Dame
Kentucky
vs. Wyoming
Louisville
vs. Marquette
Loyola Marymount vs. Northwestern
Maine vs. Northeastern
Massachusetts vs. Vanderbilt
Michigan
vs. Toledo
Mississippi St. vs. Central Ark.
Montana vs. San Jose St.
Nebraska
vs. Missouri
North Texas vs. Texas
Oklahoma
vs. Tulsa
Old Dominion vs. Duke
Oregon St. vs. Kansas
Portland St. vs. Gonzaga
Rice
vs. Houston
Rutgers vs. Connecticut
San Diego vs. Texas Tech
San Diego St. vs. Long Beach St.
San Francisco
vs. Cal Poly
Santa Clara vs. Washington St.
South Carolina vs. High Point
#South Fla. vs. North Carolina
UC Davis vs. California
UCLA
vs. UC Santa Barbara
UNC Greensboro vs. Clemson
UNLV
vs. Southern Utah
UTEP vs. New Mexico
Utah
vs. North Dakota St.
Utah St. vs. Cal St. Fullerton
Virginia
vs. Liberty
Virginia Tech vs. Georgia
Washington vs. SMU
West Virginia
vs. Duquesne
Yale vs. Delaware St.

Monday

Hawaii vs. Seattle
UC Irvine vs. Portland

Those balls never get through an 8 year old softball/baseball player! Take an infielders stance, hands low, and simple slide step or shuffle step to the left. This is a very easy ground ball in baseball or softball. You'll never see a baseball player dive for a ball so close. How many times have we seen a GK dive for a close ball and have the ball bounce off the GK's feet or stomach to create a 2nd chance. The trainer who started this trend (dive for everything), never played other sports. It is so ingrained in the training that you see GK's diving when the ball is clearly 20 feet wide left or right. Just gotta laugh at that.
My daughter played baseball and softball before even kicking a soccer ball. Lots of grounders, lots of shuffle step. Then basketball and shuffle to stay in front of the player she is guarding. Now it is only soccer and being a goal keeper.

Timing your dive is an art and requires lots of experience. First my daughter was diving too late and the ball would get past before the dive. Then it was diving too soon and having some balls go past her outstretched hand(happened this past weekend). Now it is shuffle dive, shuffle dive. She will get it eventually.

Watching college soccer for the first time this year, all position players except goal keepers look amazing. It seems many of the keepers are picked because they can goal kick really far. I know a game is a small sample size, especially for a keeper, so I'll have to keep watching.

My daughter played baseball and softball before even kicking a soccer ball. Lots of grounders, lots of shuffle step. Then basketball and shuffle to stay in front of the player she is guarding. Now it is only soccer and being a goal keeper.

Timing your dive is an art and requires lots of experience. First my daughter was diving too late and the ball would get past before the dive. Then it was diving too soon and having some balls go past her outstretched hand(happened this past weekend). Now it is shuffle dive, shuffle dive. She will get it eventually.

Watching college soccer for the first time this year, all position players except goal keepers look amazing. It seems many of the keepers are picked because they can goal kick really far. I know a game is a small sample size, especially for a keeper, so I'll have to keep watching.

There are some amazing athletic keepers out there and most played another sport like softball/volleyball/basketball which clearly helped with some aspect of their game. Crosstraining sports at a young age has all kind of benefits. I wonder with all of the specialization at an early age will we ever see another Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders or on the girls side a Natalie Williams.

There are some amazing athletic keepers out there and most played another sport like softball/volleyball/basketball which clearly helped with some aspect of their game. Crosstraining sports at a young age has all kind of benefits. I wonder with all of the specialization at an early age will we ever see another Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders or on the girls side a Natalie Williams.
Bo Jackson was a class act and a beast among beasts.
Bo Jackson - YouTube
upload_2017-8-24_8-43-50.jpeg▶ 4:03
  1. Similar

Back