2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

Mine isn't up there yet but she's been running it once a week for the last 5-6 weeks. She's almost made the minimum to get out of breakfast club :eek: I'm nervous for your DD too!! LOL
My DD reported back that she was only able to do 17 repetitions, 3 short of the required 20. She has had a head cold and some chest congestion the past few days and this contributed greatly to her result today. She'll be fine next week when the official test happens.

My DD reported back that she was only able to do 17 repetitions, 3 short of the required 20. She has had a head cold and some chest congestion the past few days and this contributed greatly to her result today. She'll be fine next week when the official test happens.
Its not an easy test.
I think my kid came up short the first time as well, and she hits 25 now.

btw, Im the poster formerly known as Bernie Sanders.
Got tired of being an old pinko, so I changed it up.

Its not an easy test.
I think my kid came up short the first time as well, and she hits 25 now.

btw, Im the poster formerly known as Bernie Sanders.
Got tired of being an old pinko, so I changed it up.
Good to know. Truth be told, I kind of like the old Bernie persona better but lets see if Ricky grows on me.

It will be interesting to see if players that were speed demons in club are still "fast". Hope so!
The players are still fast, but once they play against college players.....they are all just as fast or faster, but the upperclassmen are stronger and more conditioned...so they can maintain their speed longer.

A player who maybe a half or step slower, but better conditioned.....will be faster when the other player is tired.

Good to know. Truth be told, I kind of like the old Bernie persona better but lets see if Ricky grows on me.

@SpeedK1llz my player says that your dd's old teammate is coming along. She says that she just needs to take a few less touches and release the ball quicker. One touch too many gets you dispossessed in their kick arounds. We are at 6 days and counting...

The players are still fast, but once they play against college players.....they are all just as fast or faster, but the upperclassmen are stronger and more conditioned...so they can maintain their speed longer.

A player who maybe a half or step slower, but better conditioned.....will be faster when the other player is tired.

Not to mention that the speed of thought has to be there too when they are tired. My player said that she noticed a lot of the freshman receive the ball and hold it too long because they don't know where they are going to go with it before they receive it. In the system that they play you better know your options and your optimum play before you receive the ball!

@SpeedK1llz my player says that your dd's old teammate is coming along. She says that she just needs to take a few less touches and release the ball quicker. One touch too many gets you dispossessed in their kick arounds. We are at 6 days and counting...
Very true, my DD said...at first she just passed quickly, so she didn't lose possession. As she adjusted to the olders speed of play and the defense was looking for the pass....she now will go at them to keep them guessing.

Yep, that's her. She'll be fine. Strong player. Just named to All America list.

With only a few weeks left in the spring season I wanted to give my thoughts on the top 25 teams. I divided them into 4 different groupings. By my estimates each team in the group is pretty close and would be favored against the teams in the next tier.

Tier 1

Penn St.
North Carolina
Duke
Stanford
UCLA
Florida St.

My money is on one on these 6 teams winning it all. Not a real surprise as these programs are the blue bloods and consistently bring in the lions share of YNT talent year in and year out. Whichever of these teams get hot come October/November will likely be hoisting the trophy in Orlando. All of these teams except North Carolina play nice looking soccer and UNC is capable of it but will do whatever is necessary to win.

Tier 2

Notre Dame
West Virginia
Santa Clara
Utah
Georgetown
Virginia
BYU

All of these teams did well last season and return a good core of players. All of these teams have potential to win the national title but each has an issue that needs resolving before they can do it.

Tier 3

Florida
Long Beach St.
USC
Pepperdine
Colorado
NC State
Texas A&M

This is a talented grouping of teams that each are capable of beating the teams above them on any given day. Each of these teams have a few question marks that need to be addressed in order to really have a shot at making it to Orlando. This is the darkhorse group and my money is on at least one of these teams making a surprise run to the Elite 8.

Tier 4

Arkansas
Cal
Michigan
Auburn
Oklahoma

This is what I call the group of potential. All of these teams either have had recent success or have all of the talent needed to achieve success. It's just a matter of answering a few questions and putting the potential together. The most intriguing team in the group is Cal. They always get top 10 recruiting classes so the talent isn't the issue. Playing consistently week in and week out seems to be their challenge. If they can play to their potential all of the time they could be a contender for a trip to Orlando. If they play inconsistently they could be looking at another first round exit.
When do the preseason rankings come out? Looking forward to seeing some great women's college soccer next month!

Don't the pre-season rankings usually mirror how the prior season ended?

The NSCAA rankings (the coaches poll) will mirror almost identically it's ending poll to open the season. Expect $C to be preseason #1. It usually settles itself by week 4-5. By then a lot of the tough non-conference games have been played so you get a true sense of the pecking order. The WCC will have 2 teams in the preseason top 5 and the PAC 12 will have 5.

I don't know about other universities, my son just graduated with a Kinesiology Degree from Long Beach St with over a 3.5 GPA. I know for a fact LB State doesn't give preferential treatment to students who graduated at their university when seeking admission into their physical therapy program. He is going to cast a wide net and see which PT programs he gets accepted to, including out of state programs.
How's the fishing coming along for grad school? Is he going to try to attend where he wants to settle down?

The NSCAA rankings (the coaches poll) will mirror almost identically it's ending poll to open the season. Expect $C to be preseason #1. It usually settles itself by week 4-5. By then a lot of the tough non-conference games have been played so you get a true sense of the pecking order. The WCC will have 2 teams in the preseason top 5 and the PAC 12 will have 5.
Can't wait to get the season underway!

How's the fishing coming along for grad school? Is he going to try to attend where he wants to settle down?
He still needs 20 more hours of volunteer work at a PT office and take one more science class.

As for will it be where he will settle down? I doubt it...more about getting accepted into a program.

Back