2016 Summer Olympics

Maybe it is because they were not paid as much as the men.

Loss today aside, I thought that NBCs lack of coverage for the US Women was terrible.
The conspiracy theorist inside of me thinks that US Soccer asked NBC to keep them hidden so the masses wouldn't see them protesting for better pay.

While it's tough seeing the US lose I always enjoy seeing Hope Solo lose. Such a classless thug. Changing gloves before the deciding kick - WTF? Way to represent!
IMO, not a big deal....Solo tried something similar to what football coaches do to field goal kickers. Icing the kicker, prior to the kick. It's not like she broke any rules. Flopping in the box for a PK call or trying to draw a red card is worse antics.

Loss today aside, I thought that NBCs lack of coverage for the US Women was terrible.
The conspiracy theorist inside of me thinks that US Soccer asked NBC to keep them hidden so the masses wouldn't see them protesting for better pay.
The US WNT soccer and all the Olympic women and men soccer games are aired on a special NBC Olympics channel. On DirecTV it was channel 201-1

Last edited:
While it's tough seeing the US lose I always enjoy seeing Hope Solo lose. Such a classless thug. Changing gloves before the deciding kick - WTF? Way to represent!
And then to call the other team cowards because they didn't play a wide open game? Classless is right. I just hope she doesn't take it out on any more family members.

So, was this the Manaus effect http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2014/06/beware-of-the-manaus-effect.html/ or was the US team just not great? To be honest, I wasn't impressed in any of the games they played in the Olympics. But I'm not a huge follower so I hadn't seen much since then. I actually thought they looked better with Rapinoe on late, and in the past I've thought she was one of the best players on the team.
No one is saying Rapinoe is a terrible player. Problem is she just recovered from a ACL injury that occured 7-8 months ago. So, she couldn't be fully fit and in form.

Last edited:
And then to call the other team cowards because they didn't play a wide open game? Classless is right. I just hope she doesn't take it out on any more family members.
Why? Pep Guardiola and his former Barcelona and Bayern players would say something similar when they dominated possession, but lost to a defensive counter attacking team.

Why? Pep Guardiola and his former Barcelona and Bayern players would say something similar when they dominated possession, but lost to a defensive counter attacking team.
Really? I admit I haven't followed the Spanish or German press very closely, but I don't remember Pep or Xavi or Messi or any of the Barcelona or Bayern Munich players calling anyone cowards. The fact is they're used to teams packing it in against them, far more than the USWNT experiences. And based on this result (and Pia's record against the US) I expect you will see a lot more of it. All Solo looks like is a sore loser.

Really? I admit I haven't followed the Spanish or German press very closely, but I don't remember Pep or Xavi or Messi or any of the Barcelona or Bayern Munich players calling anyone cowards. The fact is they're used to teams packing it in against them, far more than the USWNT experiences. And based on this result (and Pia's record against the US) I expect you will see a lot more of it. All Solo looks like is a sore loser.
I posted they would complain about something similar. Try googling! It's not hard to find quotes from his former players saying they dominated possession and playing soccer the right way, but losing to a defensive counter attacking team.

Men's basketball is on the main channel now. Think NBC had any say in what time the basketball games where played?
Of course, basketball draws more viewers than soccer in general. I'm sure if the WNT made the finals they would have also played the finals on the main channel. It's all about maximizing viewership.

Back