WWC 2023

Sweden-2 / Japan-1
Japan waited a bit too long to step on the gas. And had two late opportunities, including a PK to change the score but couldn't convert.

Makes total sense. Why start at 18? Start when you are peak and likely after college as in the USA with TITLE IX use college as training and school.
Graduate college ~22 play till ~ 28 - get a life. This is a handicap league just like the para league. Nobody cares or watches. This is not a job.
The Para athletes are not claiming they need more pay. The biggest accomplishment of the women's team was getting equal pay for 10% of the eyeballs. It was not winning soccer games.
The convo is about the WNT, the elite of the elite. College is a crap development ground for those players. If you are not in that bracket, then college is the way to go, i.e. for the 99.99% of players, given their earning potential as a pro currently.

Like it. Would help GKs with their feet too, especially now that 6 and 7 year olds are showing up to training. How can we get you on the national board?

Goalkeepers should always spend some time playing the small sides, quick feet drills as part of their training.

To your previous point, 98% of coaches know nothing about goalkeeping. And no 2 hour, Frans Hoek merit badge class is going to change that. Goalkeepers need to be trained by goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers should always spend some time playing the small sides, quick feet drills as part of their training.

To your previous point, 98% of coaches know nothing about goalkeeping. And no 2 hour, Frans Hoek merit badge class is going to change that. Goalkeepers need to be trained by goalkeepers.
The problem though is that the goalkeeper (even if they choose to sit on the line for everything and have a big legged defender boot everything) is going to impact how the rest of the team, including the defensive line, is required to play. It impacts the entirety of the game and the entirety of how the game progresses from the first touch. What you are essentially saying is that 98% of coaches don't know how to teach the game. What's worse, most clubs do not (unless the coach was a former GK or its an academy team) have a goalkeeper integrated onto staff of the teams. Even the galaxy, for example, it's because of the travel and the head GK coach usually travels with the first youth team, hard to get them to go to see the games unless it's an at home tournament. The vast majority of clubs don't even have that-- they have goalkeeper coaches that do training but have no input whatsoever on the teams.

While "pay-to-play" is an issue, it's just a subset of the bigger issue which is the economic engine that drives competitive youth soccer. It is a business, nothing more, nothing less. We all fall for it hook line and sinker -- just like we fall for other things our kids are involved with. There are good coaches with good intentions for sure, but they're playing catchup all the time and have to resist the demands of the economic engine. Now, if kids were playing pickup soccer like they do with basketball, these good coaches wouldn't have to be playing catchup all the time. Kids who play pickup build a love of the sport and are especially gifted soccer IQ wise. As Cruyff said "Footballers from the street are more important than trained coaches". I personally think US Soccer should invest in creating a program that helps build futsal courts around the country with easy access. Even turfed ones would do.
We’re still #1 with basketball. Organized ball compliments the sport, but does not crowd out the development of hours invested in free pickup ball.

We’re still #1 with basketball. Organized ball compliments the sport, but does not crowd out the development of hours invested in free pickup ball.

I agree there's a balance in basketball with organized ball and free pickup ball, particularly that gives kids essentially skills when they are very young. But Europe hasn't caught up through pickup ball....they caught up by implementing a similar academy system to soccer. Furthermore, the impact on basketball from pickup will be greater. It's a higher scoring game where the tactics matter less. Basketball is a very much an athletic sport. Soccer is more like chess with athletics thrown in. Gridiron football is almost like warfare: generals moving the right or wrong pieces around the map.

Like it. Would help GKs with their feet too, especially now that 6 and 7 year olds are showing up to training. How can we get you on the national board?
I also like the idea that goalkeepers should receive supplemental training with other goalkeepers in addition to attending all training with their team and participating in each drill. Again, until they are at least 12, maybe older.

Speaking of scouting and Latinos, an article on point.....mentions Downtown Soccer Club, one of the clubs that's locked out of letter league.

I don't know that it's on point. First, she was unwilling to leave the area to play despite sniffing scholarship offers. Second, she walked on at Long Beach and quit. That's more opportunity than 98% of the "more fortunate" ever get. The problem isn't being female, Latina or poor. If you can't pay the fees, elect to NOT pay the fees or simply don't have a way to get to practice because both of your parents work, you likely aren't getting noticed. I don't care who you are.

"I didn't get to show my potential." Uh, yes you did, at LBSU. You walked on and walked off.

I don't know that it's on point. First, she was unwilling to leave the area to play despite sniffing scholarship offers. Second, she walked on at Long Beach and quit. That's more opportunity than 98% of the "more fortunate" ever get. The problem isn't being female, Latina or poor. If you can't pay the fees, elect to NOT pay the fees or simply don't have a way to get to practice because both of your parents work, you likely aren't getting noticed. I don't care who you are.

"I didn't get to show my potential." Uh, yes you did, at LBSU. You walked on and walked off.
I found the stuff about the club far more interesting than the stuff about her. Downtown LA is one of the clubs that despite performing for lots of teams is locked out of letter leagues (such as ECNL/MLS Next). There are others locked out, not necessarily Latino (Socal Elite, Santa Monica Surf, Oaks FC, AYSO United). Because of the river and rail line, getting to TFA or LAUFA on the boys side, two other heavily Latino clubs, takes about an hour+. You see the same thing in the Valley where Latino clubs have been dying as Coast withers on the vine. There's also a barrier between Latino clubs and white clubs....white/Asian players find themselves the odd ducks out in a Latino team, some suburban teams limit the number of Latino players for not only economic reasons but also a fear they'll become ghettoized. I was once speaking to a white dad whose son was trying out for my kid's Latino team...he was grossed out the kids were using the "n" word for example. Or how the coaches conduct meetings with the parents: in Spanish or in English.

p.s. forgive me if I'm wrong, but is there a girl's side Latino equivalent to TFA and Laufa in the ECNL?

I found the stuff about the club far more interesting than the stuff about her. Downtown LA is one of the clubs that despite performing for lots of teams is locked out of letter leagues (such as ECNL/MLS Next). There are others locked out, not necessarily Latino (Socal Elite, Santa Monica Surf, Oaks FC, AYSO United). Because of the river and rail line, getting to TFA or LAUFA on the boys side, two other heavily Latino clubs, takes about an hour+. You see the same thing in the Valley where Latino clubs have been dying as Coast withers on the vine. There's also a barrier between Latino clubs and white clubs....white/Asian players find themselves the odd ducks out in a Latino team, some suburban teams limit the number of Latino players for not only economic reasons but also a fear they'll become ghettoized. I was once speaking to a white dad whose son was trying out for my kid's Latino team...he was grossed out the kids were using the "n" word for example. Or how the coaches conduct meetings with the parents: in Spanish or in English.

p.s. forgive me if I'm wrong, but is there a girl's side Latino equivalent to TFA and Laufa in the ECNL?

Not familiar with those. Is it a facilities issue for some? I know when we played in rough areas, the parents were far worse than the kids. Yeah, I get the racial thing. 3/4 of my high school team were Mexican and they harassed the shit out of me until I reminded them Jorge Campos is the ONLY decent goalkeeper Mexico has ever produced.

I just thought Plashke was pandering. We all know how the system works.

Not familiar with those. Is it a facilities issue for some? I know when we played in rough areas, the parents were far worse than the kids. Yeah, I get the racial thing. 3/4 of my high school team were Mexican and they harassed the shit out of me until I reminded them Jorge Campos is the ONLY decent goalkeeper Mexico has ever produced.

I just thought Plashke was pandering. We all know how the system works.
Fair.

Don't know what the issue is. Downtown though does have one of the nicest game fields out there. If they don't kick you out of the stairwells, great places to get game footage. It's certainly not merit. Nothing against the Red Bulls club-- fine organization, but certainly did not hold the record when compared to others to get to MLS Next and it certainly did not fill a geographical need given it's in LAUFA's and the Galaxy's shadow (though supposedly the Bulls are supposed to cover SM and LASC, which is in LA Surf's shadow, is supposed to cover the Val, which is why we've been seeing I guess tryout info for those two orgs in those two areas).

Is there a downtown/downey/bell Latina team in the ECNL? Anyone know?

Fair.

Don't know what the issue is. Downtown though does have one of the nicest game fields out there. If they don't kick you out of the stairwells, great places to get game footage. It's certainly not merit. Nothing against the Red Bulls club-- fine organization, but certainly did not hold the record when compared to others to get to MLS Next and it certainly did not fill a geographical need given it's in LAUFA's and the Galaxy's shadow (though supposedly the Bulls are supposed to cover SM and LASC, which is in LA Surf's shadow, is supposed to cover the Val, which is why we've been seeing I guess tryout info for those two orgs in those two areas).

Is there a downtown/downey/bell Latina team in the ECNL? Anyone know?
Enjoyed the article. And much of it very true in regards to club soccer affordability and lack of exposure, as well as development. Like you the details of the situation were more interesting than Nayella Barhona's situation. I know several latina players who have found their way onto ECNL/GA teams and given scholarships by the club to cover fees. If players like Nayella are as good as they are being described in the article they need to contact teams in those leagues and see what is available. Essentially just pointing out that there are opportunities for players like Nayella if they look. And I do understand there are other obstacles that do make this hard for players and their families. Based on what has been described so far there are not teams in downtown LA/Downey/Bell. The closest is Westside Breakers. I would recommend Tudela (located in the LA area) for exposure, coaching and affordability. JT does a great job with such a small club. He also is able to bring his teams to GA Showcases. Overall ECNL has grown in SoCal with the number of teams, but as many have described since I have been on this forum the talent pool is already diluted and adding more clubs has enlarged this issue. There are also requirements from ECNL that asks clubs to meet and Downtown more than likely would not be able to fulfill those requests. Many clubs who are well established did not meet the requirements. Prior to the Girls DA both Beach and SouthBay Force/LAG Southbay were not allowed to join because partly OC ECNL clubs did not want them, but their was also politics from ECNL at the time. Getting back to Nayella trying out at LBST and players that are latina. My DD both played for LAG DA and it was a free program. Everything was provided for. The coaches and the teams offered a spot to any player based on their ability and not their ethnicity. The teams were quite diversified ehtnically. Now when DA was no longer my oldest left for Slammers ECNL and yes these teams were quite polar. Playing for LBST is not easy. I know the HC as he is my youngests coach and he does not pass on talent if its there. I think if Nayella is on par with ECNL players she could easily play at schools like CPP or CSTLA because of her wish to be close to home. I do think USC is a stretch for many reasons.

Last edited:
Well, the good news is we finally know the reason for the U.S. leaving early. It was that damned "rabid capitalism".

Annoying because on every team my kid has played on there's 1-2 "scholarship" players that the club let's play for free or at a reduced cost.

I've even seen situations where scholorship players play poor but turn around and fund the coach with privates.

If anything the clubs I've seen are very accommodating.

Where you might not see all the free rides given out is on the top teams where coaches can bring on paying players + win. My suspicion is that this is the free ride players gripe.

Annoying because on every team my kid has played on there's 1-2 "scholarship" players that the club let's play for free or at a reduced cost.

I've even seen situations where scholorship players play poor but turn around and fund the coach with privates.

If anything the clubs I've seen are very accommodating.

Where you might not see all the free rides given out is on the top teams where coaches can bring on paying players + win. My suspicion is that this is the free ride players gripe.
Like saying you're starving + someone hands you a cheeseburger + telling them you only eat steak.

It's not a matter of being able to play for free. They want to play a specific type of soccer for free.

Back