Sporting California! What are they doing?

Gonna guess SC started planting the seed with their affiliates a long time ago, as the RL 2 rumors have been rumbling for a while. They probably used it to entice JL to the South affiliate.

They Probably used the same tactic to lure in Mission Viejo FC which is now their OC affiliate. Just looking at the OC social media they are def pitching the RL/NL pathway (which to some extent can be true). From what I understand this new affiliate ran with this and it was definitely pitching that they were going to have RL status (not even RL2) Per your post @Code sounds like the same as JL —Looking at some OC affiliate IG posts they definitely say RL for at least one of their teams (2010) and now that same team seems be headed towards E-64. So either the parent club bait and switched the affiliate, or affiliate being switched the parents, or both happened.

So one can only guess that something probably similar happened in Temecula, only in JL decided to call them out on it. And having somewhat of a reputation and decently performing teams, that was enough leverage.

They absolutely are. Jenny charged 3k per head and scholarshiped a few key players to try and break up MSA, City Temecula, and Empire Surf using ECRL as her ploy. She tried to get ECRL when she was running Legends Temecula but the North wasn't having it. Then she moved to MSA to 'Unite the Valley' and got fired for who knows what. and now she is recruiting for sporting saying they have ECRL. Not to mention she is coaching 5 teams with sub-in coaches. It's a cluster, to say the least. Good luck to the parents...and the kids who were moved cause of their parents.
If the JL teams end up losing to the current RL Ontario teams it sounds like the Temecula Branch is going to implode. If the Ontario RL Teams lose, it sounds like they are going to implode. Just wait for the Sporting RL2 drama to ignite when those teams are designated. Sounds like Sporting sold two or three spots to five or six teams 🤑🤑🤑.

Socal Elite: Watch This!
Sporting USA: Hold my Beer!!!!

I know people at two separate clubs that moved under the Sporting USA banner for the upcoming season. Albion North out of the Escondido area and Rebels East out of El Cajon area. Both teams, same year group, played NPL last season, were assured that they would be playing in the SoCal RL2 league this year. Not sure how that is going to work? I haven't seen any specifics about how RL2 is going to work, but I highly doubt any clubs are going to be allowed to have two teams in the same league. Maybe Sporting will have a tournament between Temecula, Norco, OC, South Bay, Escondido, and El Cajon and the winners get the spot???

The Albion Norte now Sporting USA San Diego club is out of San Marcos, not Escondido - that’s NCYSA - FC Heat, Nomads Esco, Rayodos FC. Rebels East now Sporting USA San Diego South is out of the El Cajon/La Mesa area.

Sporting USA San Diego (formerly Albion Norte) has been accepted into the USY Elite 64 National League as a full club for their boys and girls programs respectively. Sporting USA San Diego was invited to play Elite 64 National League last season with 3 boys teams under the Legends FC banner and all 3 teams finished in the top 5 or higher. The Elite 64 NL program will be out of San Diego.

The Sporting USA San Diego (formerly Albion Norte) G07 NPL league winners will play in the E64 while the Sporting USA San Diego South (formerly Rebels East) G07 NPL team will play ECNL RL2.

North County, San Diego
Esco Heat - SOCAL/NPL
Esco Nomads - SOCAL/NPL
Vista Storm - SOCAL/NPL
Oceanside Breakers - SOCAL and E64 Boys
AYSO United San Marcos - SOCAL
City SC Carlsbad - SOCAL/NPL and MLSnext/EA - GA/DPL
City SC San Marcos - SOCAL - EA2 and DPL Open
Sporting USA SD, San Marcos - SOCAL/NPL and E64 Boys/Girls

East County
EC Surf - SOCAL/NPL and E64 Boys/Girls
SD Sporting - SOCAL/NPL
Albion EC - SOCAL/NPL
Crusaders - SOCAL and EA2 Boys
Sporting USA San Diego South - SOCAL/NPL - E64 and RL2 teams

Temecula/Murrieta
Empire Surf - SOCAL and E64 Boys/Girls
MSA - SOCAL and MLSnext/EA - GA/DPL
City SC Temecula - SOCAL, EA2, DPL Open
Sporting USA South - SOCAL/NPL and ECNL RL and RL2 teams

Let the chips fall where they may.

Mission Viejo has EA2. There is likely an agreement that if you open your ecrl for competition, they will offer their EA2 for competition. Can someone confirm?

I know parents from Ontario aren’t happy about this and understandably so. But I do admire Sporting for trying this and share the goods with their satellite locations. My kid played for a small club and I understand how difficult it is to attract players when you don’t have access to the letter leagues. Good teams are forced to break up at 11-12 when players leave to join clubs with access. He plays for a big club now but I will always root for the small guys trying to survive.
The way to solve for this isn’t by causing more chaos in your organization. There’s a reason clubs don’t do this…it causes huge instability in your teams and instability is a signal for parents to stay away. Where it has happened before where they separate the first team and second teams into different areas (not different hubs) it’s generally when it’s gone poorly for the club and they had to reorganize like laufa.

The true culprit is the letter leagues which serve to lock out the smaller clubs from access. The negative impact to consumers this has is illustrated by whats happening here. I’ve long held the theory that it’s legally problematic, particularly when like with mls next there doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason for why some clubs are in and others aren’t, particularly after what happened in Texas and the Red Bulls/lasc thing.

The way to solve for this isn’t by causing more chaos in your organization. There’s a reason clubs don’t do this…it causes huge instability in your teams and instability is a signal for parents to stay away. Where it has happened before where they separate the first team and second teams into different areas (not different hubs) it’s generally when it’s gone poorly for the club and they had to reorganize like laufa.

The true culprit is the letter leagues which serve to lock out the smaller clubs from access. The negative impact to consumers this has is illustrated by whats happening here. I’ve long held the theory that it’s legally problematic, particularly when like with mls next there doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason for why some clubs are in and others aren’t, particularly after what happened in Texas and the Red Bulls/lasc thing.

Yeah, the lockout is a problem. One of the top 2010 boys teams (top 10-15ish CA) had to ‘join’ a club in EA2 because they were locked out. Probably spend a year with lesser competition with the hopes that they could help the club move up to EA1. The fact that the team didn’t disband is probably a testament to the coach and his development. In a functioning youth soccer pyramid they’d be playing against the top boys teams in socal regularly and those top teams wouldn’t be traveling 3 hours to beat a team 12-0. I’m told the same is happening for 3 or 4 more teams in that age group this year.

This drama with Sporting should be green lit by Bravo or something.

Yes but I believe ECNL,---and I believe for all the letter leagues as a matter of fact--require all NL/RL games on a given day to take place at the same facility. So in other words I don't think you can have 2010 RL playing in Temecula in 2009 RL playing at Silver Lakes
This is correct. All teams in ECNL league must be based in the same location. Not just the same location but the same club.

I don't think Sporting can send a team for each age bracket from a different affiliate.

The Albion Norte now Sporting USA San Diego club is out of San Marcos, not Escondido - that’s NCYSA - FC Heat, Nomads Esco, Rayodos FC. Rebels East now Sporting USA San Diego South is out of the El Cajon/La Mesa area.
Last time I checked Ryan Field is in East Escondido. As it's one of the fields Sporting USA San Diego (formally Albion Norte) uses alot, I think it is safe to say Sporting USA San Diego is out of San Marcos/Escondido.

I mean, lets keep it consistent. If you are going to claim Sporting USA San Diego South is a /La Mesa because one of the fields they use (Jr. Seau Field) is in La Mesa (literally on the border edge of El Cajon), then you guys certainly are a San Marcos/Escondido.

You forgot to put Legends SD in the list of East County teams.
Legends SD- E64 Boys/Girls, SOCAL/NPL.

And North County is missing:
San Diego Soccer Club Surf Escondido-
San Diego Soccer Club Surf-
San Diego Force-
Encinitas Express-

Looks like Sporting California is making its teams battle for the ECRL spots.. doesn’t seem fair as teams weren’t given a heads up about it, and have held tryouts and given out offers to players. Looks like this is all brought up by the director of the Temecula chapter Jenny Lawlor whose teams didn’t fare well at NPL level. It is sad that Sporting California would do this to the current families and players.. no wonder they are losing players and teams and have a bad reputation.. it’s directors are really misguided about how to keep families happy and keep a program growing..
People actually pay money for this type of nonsense????

I don’t think there goal is about spreading the love. It’s about money. I think her pitch (south branch) to sporting was to take over the Temecula and surrounding area market using the “ECRL” brand, to try and stick it to her previous employer and try to take them out. which in turn brings in alot of new teams and $$$ in for sporting. Which could possibly work if you can actually pull the real ECRL into Temecula, not just the ECRL2. But it also risks other branch exodus if they get demoted.
Sporting is apparently spread thin like canola oil and it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not really fair if you've already announced tryouts, signed players, and taken money for those teams....if you are going to do this, should be done BEFORE try out offers are made contracts are sent out because the better players are going to leave if you demote them. If they had had made me sign a contract, had stated we are playing in particular league next year, and then pulled a bait and switch I would damn well be screaming for a refund. So I guess my view on it is it depends on where people are in the process, not that it's necessarily a bad thing per se.
Oh shoot girl that's Girls Club Soccer 101- never a dull moment!!!

Per, sporting south instagram, the 2010’s are doing their ECRL Challenge tonight. What are the odds of them posting the score? 0%?
100% if she won. 0% if she lost.
and Yea, they played at the Ontario Soccer Complex. The North won 1-0 with no goalie and only 2 subs since most of the girls left before the game.
Before this game, a handful of players did not show up for the last ECRL game due to the same instability they saw that would happen. Had they won that game, they would have made the ECRL playoffs.
Really sad when you think of the domino effect.

Last edited:
100% if she won. 0% if she lost.
and Yea, they played at the Ontario Soccer Complex. The North won 1-0 with no goalie and only 2 subs since most of the girls left before the game.
Before this game, a handful of players did not show up for the last ECRL game due to the same instability they saw that would happen. Had they won that game, they would have made the ECRL playoffs.
Really sad when you think of the domino effect.
When you think about it… North actually lost. The goal differential shows the main branch B team is only about as good as the affiliates’ A teams. This legitimizes the need to have this kind of competition.

When you think about it… North actually lost. The goal differential shows the main branch B team is only about as good as the affiliates’ A teams. This legitimizes the need to have this kind of competition.
I don't follow. The North was playing at a huge disadvantage with missing players caused by this "challenge" game. From what was stated, the winning team would retain the true ECRL spot. How did they lose?

Back