Next best league to get visibility with college coaches

My dd is going into high school (turning 14 in May) and she informed me that she wants to play in college. I doubt that she is good enough to make ECNL teams ( withv aluable playing minutes) but she did well a few years back guest playing for an ECRL team. She has played well against E64 and NPL teams so I am now looking for the best way to get her exposure in front of college scouts. Question for all, do non ECNL leagues have a change to get scouted by college coaches? Does the Girls Academy league still get alot of attention with college scouts? There's also E64, NPL, and for that matter just trying out through those College ID camps. Looking for guidance from you all.

My dd is going into high school (turning 14 in May) and she informed me that she wants to play in college. I doubt that she is good enough to make ECNL teams ( withv aluable playing minutes) but she did well a few years back guest playing for an ECRL team. She has played well against E64 and NPL teams so I am now looking for the best way to get her exposure in front of college scouts. Question for all, do non ECNL leagues have a change to get scouted by college coaches? Does the Girls Academy league still get alot of attention with college scouts? There's also E64, NPL, and for that matter just trying out through those College ID camps. Looking for guidance from you all.

ECRL and GA are both good options with dedicated showcases...pick based on the coach and how much your DD will play....

Just reach out to coaches on the teams that you would like to play on + ask if your kid can do an evaluation session.

Most will let your kid practice with their team. If you can, watch how things go. If your kid is 100x better than the other players the coach will chase you to your car after practice. If your kid is struggling to keep up with the other players it's not likely to happen. Try this with several teams.

GA and ECNL clubs will give your kid the most exposure to college coaches because they do special tournaments called showcases where top teams play each other in front of invited college coaches specifically for recruitment purposes.

Also keep in mind that theres lots of ways into college sports. Your kid could do a walk on tryout + make the team. If you know what college they're planning to attend a donation of a new soccer complex would also get your kid on the team. ;-)

There is a long way to go from age 13/14 until recruiting really kicks in Jr. year of HS. I would focus on three things at that age before which league she is in. 1. Get on a team with the best coaching possible. 2. Make sure she is a good fit on the roster. You don’t want to be bottom 3-4 players, and I’d argue being top 3-4 players on a team at that age isn’t ideal either. You want her on a team where she is on par with the other girls, but they are at her level or a bit better to push her. 3. Find something close to home. My DD played at a club 10 minutes from our house until U7- U12. From U13 to present day U16 it’s an hour each way 3x week to practice for her ECNL team. Don’t let anyone kid you, the drive is a grind, especially with homework. Avoid it as long as you can.

Best of luck!

I think you need to be ECNL within the next 1-2 years. Just look at the coaches attending big tournaments for NPL, GA, etc. versus ECNL. In my opinion, apples to oranges. I believe most P5 coaches are lazy and depend on their relationships with coaches and DOCs at the bigger, ECNL programs. Like Zombie says, get a good coach, but I think the reality is that she needs to be ECNL by age 16. At that point, the best players from the other leagues are doing what you're doing (jumping to ECNL) and there's only so many spots. But like futboldad noted, she can't be seen on the bench. I'd make that shitty drive a year early, rather than a year late, and make contact with the ECNL coaches before tryouts. Our experience is that 95% of a roster is decided before tryouts ever take place.

I've yet to see a college camp pay off for anybody but some here say it can.

I think you need to be ECNL within the next 1-2 years. Just look at the coaches attending big tournaments for NPL, GA, etc. versus ECNL. In my opinion, apples to oranges. I believe most P5 coaches are lazy and depend on their relationships with coaches and DOCs at the bigger, ECNL programs. Like Zombie says, get a good coach, but I think the reality is that she needs to be ECNL by age 16. At that point, the best players from the other leagues are doing what you're doing (jumping to ECNL) and there's only so many spots. But like futboldad noted, she can't be seen on the bench. I'd make that shitty drive a year early, rather than a year late, and make contact with the ECNL coaches before tryouts. Our experience is that 95% of a roster is decided before tryouts ever take place.

Camps certainly pay off, especially if you are consistently going to the same camp year after year. Many players are scouted/recruited via camps. Don't rely solely on camps but certainly go to the camps of the schools that your DD is interested in, especially the summer before they can be actively recruited. I wouldn't travel all the way across the country (unless you tie into a vacation of sorts, that happens often).

ECNL=GA in terms of scouting. The same schools go to each flavor of showcase....the lists are pretty similar. DOCs at well known ECNL and GA clubs have access to college coaches.

She doesn't need to be ECNL by age 16, not by a long shot - don't get sucked into the commute and the dollars and time suck that a commute turns into.

Find a club with a track record of placement. Find a club with a track record of development. Find a club with a track record of supportive coaches who are looking out for the best interest of your DD. Many parents find out the hard way how seedy the world of youth sports can be.

ECNL/GA can and will drain your bank account. Not only will both leagues NOT likely get you that full ride so many people dream off, but they may not even get you in the door. As a parent of two futbol DDs, I can assure you that it's not a good "investment", if that's what you are looking for. Many other reasons to play in these leagues - investing in your DD's academic future is not one of them.

Camps certainly pay off, especially if you are consistently going to the same camp year after year. Many players are scouted/recruited via camps. Don't rely solely on camps but certainly go to the camps of the schools that your DD is interested in, especially the summer before they can be actively recruited. I wouldn't travel all the way across the country (unless you tie into a vacation of sorts, that happens often).

ECNL=GA in terms of scouting. The same schools go to each flavor of showcase....the lists are pretty similar. DOCs at well known ECNL and GA clubs have access to college coaches.

She doesn't need to be ECNL by age 16, not by a long shot - don't get sucked into the commute and the dollars and time suck that a commute turns into.

Find a club with a track record of placement. Find a club with a track record of development. Find a club with a track record of supportive coaches who are looking out for the best interest of your DD. Many parents find out the hard way how seedy the world of youth sports can be.

ECNL/GA can and will drain your bank account. Not only will both leagues NOT likely get you that full ride so many people dream off, but they may not even get you in the door. As a parent of two futbol DDs, I can assure you that it's not a good "investment", if that's what you are looking for. Many other reasons to play in these leagues - investing in your DD's academic future is not one of them.

How can you say they're equal? The GA is all of 2 years old. Remember what happened to the DA? And you're saying she doesn't need to be ECNL by 16? You think that's too soon? When do you think the recruiting process starts? Or are you just saying ECNL isn't necessary? Because I would agree with you on that point but there's no question ECNL is head and shoulders above the others. If you don't believe me, look at the bios of whatever college roster your kid wants. Not a ton of NPL kids at P5 programs. Has the DA been around long enough for any? College rosters are still carrying 40 players because of Covid.

How can you say they're equal? The GA is all of 2 years old. Remember what happened to the DA? And you're saying she doesn't need to be ECNL by 16? You think that's too soon? When do you think the recruiting process starts? Or are you just saying ECNL isn't necessary? Because I would agree with you on that point but there's no question ECNL is head and shoulders above the others. If you don't believe me, look at the bios of whatever college roster your kid wants. Not a ton of NPL kids at P5 programs. Has the DA been around long enough for any? College rosters are still carrying 40 players because of Covid.
what what?

Ahhh, I get it now...you are an ECNLer. I leave it to you to argue how much better ECNL is vs the rest of the world. College coaches don't care. The elevator pitch for a Freshmen player doesn't start with "My name is ____ and I played on ECNL team _____. Now you throw in P5, D1. MOST kids will never get a sniff at a P5, D1 school, regardless of how many years played on an ECNL team.

Back to my original post...both of my DDs came up through the DA/ECNL/GA system. One plays at a P5 school (hasn't been fun) - will likely enter the portal next year. The other no longer plays futbol, drifted to another sport, will likely play at a high academic D3. The journey differs for each kid.

The GA is not the DA. You don't NEED to be ECNL. Plenty of GA kids playing P5. Yes, many NPL players are not playing on P5 rosters...plenty playing on other D1 rosters...Recruiting starts whenever you want it to start. Social media allows coaches to track kids all the way to the trigger line.

COVID roster syndrome is wearing off, fast. 40 player rosters are terrible....great for business though.

what what?

Ahhh, I get it now...you are an ECNLer. I leave it to you to argue how much better ECNL is vs the rest of the world. College coaches don't care. The elevator pitch for a Freshmen player doesn't start with "My name is ____ and I played on ECNL team _____. Now you throw in P5, D1. MOST kids will never get a sniff at a P5, D1 school, regardless of how many years played on an ECNL team.

Back to my original post...both of my DDs came up through the DA/ECNL/GA system. One plays at a P5 school (hasn't been fun) - will likely enter the portal next year. The other no longer plays futbol, drifted to another sport, will likely play at a high academic D3. The journey differs for each kid.

The GA is not the DA. You don't NEED to be ECNL. Plenty of GA kids playing P5. Yes, many NPL players are not playing on P5 rosters...plenty playing on other D1 rosters...Recruiting starts whenever you want it to start. Social media allows coaches to track kids all the way to the trigger line.

COVID roster syndrome is wearing off, fast. 40 player rosters are terrible....great for business though.

No, I'm actually NOT an ECNLer. Quite the opposite. I think it's ridiculous that college coaches think all the best talent is at ECNL clubs when I witness the majority of those rosters being developed by better coaches, at smaller clubs, until they hit the freeway at 16 to get a fancier uniform. And I never said you "need" to be in ECNL... only that it increases your marketability... and it does. And if you wait too long to do it, you'll be the 6th kid in for a team with 3 spots for transfers.

In fact, I actually agreed with most of your original post and position. ECNL will bleed you financially and suck you dry. But at the end of the day, I believe playing for Slammers or Beach FC gives you instant credibility versus having an 'Area 909 FC' on the chest, and I think most coaches aren't interested in working that hard to find the next Hailie Mace.

No, I'm actually NOT an ECNLer. Quite the opposite. I think it's ridiculous that college coaches think all the best talent is at ECNL clubs when I witness the majority of those rosters being developed by better coaches, at smaller clubs, until they hit the freeway at 16 to get a fancier uniform. And I never said you "need" to be in ECNL... only that it increases your marketability... and it does. And if you wait too long to do it, you'll be the 6th kid in for a team with 3 spots for transfers.

In fact, I actually agreed with most of your original post and position. ECNL will bleed you financially and suck you dry. But at the end of the day, I believe playing for Slammers or Beach FC gives you instant credibility versus having an 'Area 909 FC' on the chest, and I think most coaches aren't interested in working that hard to find the next Hailie Mace.
The reality is that most of the top talent plays in ECNL and GA..it's a function of the parents, marketing, and the relationship between clubs and colleges. With that said, there are roster slots for almost every kid that wants to play collegiate soccer: NAIA - D1. JUCO is a great option, proven by baseball/football/basketball. Clubs will push the D1/P5 narrative...or at least make you believe they can get you there.

There are plenty of coaches scouting non ecnl/ga showcases that fill their roster with non ecnl/ga players. Plenty of scholarship dollars at NAIA and JUCO. D1 coaches love JUCO transfers. They are cheaper, experienced and stronger.

The reality is that most of the top talent plays in ECNL and GA..it's a function of the parents, marketing, and the relationship between clubs and colleges. With that said, there are roster slots for almost every kid that wants to play collegiate soccer: NAIA - D1. JUCO is a great option, proven by baseball/football/basketball. Clubs will push the D1/P5 narrative...or at least make you believe they can get you there.

There are plenty of coaches scouting non ecnl/ga showcases that fill their roster with non ecnl/ga players. Plenty of scholarship dollars at NAIA and JUCO. D1 coaches love JUCO transfers. They are cheaper, experienced and stronger.

I agree with all of that... and again, I prefaced my statement by talking about the caliber of schools. UCLA and USC don't attend NPL tournaments.

You crack me up. My dd went to just one and it paid off big time. Not in a deal, but confidence for my kid. Top program had "extra" camp after Rona rules were lifted and we drove up to let her run with the YNT players. Coach had no clue who my kid was because she was kicked out of the top league (GDA) just because she wanted to play HS Soccer and was out of the game so to speak. The top coaches at the top programs already know who the best are and have no time. Camps make them money for the program. It's like going to a Jim Morris baseball camp tryout. Basically, you need a miracle. I thought she could get a deal just playing HS Soccer and I was wrong. No one showed up so I agree 100% you best better get on a top ECNL team, with a top Doc to be seen. GA is a good back up if your riding the pine. You need to play to be seen. Back to the camp. She played lights out 5 v 5 and coach ran to her after the game winner and had so many nice things to say about how she played but grades come into play at this top school and no deal. She was encouraged and it helped her not give up the sport altogether. Not playing in club for three years basically hurt her and the Rona was not helpful either. I have yet to hear about someone getting a deal at these camps. Welcome to the forum btw way Slobodan. Does Slo bo dan mean anything?

The junior college angle makes a lot of sense. It's how most big sports other than Soccer work. With the transfer portal I bet coaches look at players on all teams (not just JUCO) as potential options.

Wherever your kid goes they need to be an impact player year 1 to see the field or get noticed by a coach at another program.

The junior college angle makes a lot of sense. It's how most big sports other than Soccer work. With the transfer portal I bet coaches look at players on all teams (not just JUCO) as potential options.

Wherever your kid goes they need to be an impact player year 1 to see the field or get noticed by a coach at another program.
When I was young, I had to play and always wanted to start in all sports. No riding the pine for me. With the roster almost at 40 at big time schools, play time is very very very hard to get unless your really good. I watched some 2022s get lot's of action and also know of many that did not play and hated it. I love the JC angel. Play and start for two years, get GE out of the way and go kick ass as a Jr and a 4 year. I also know some that just wanted to get into the school and did not care about play time.

The transfer portal is a double edged sword but is being leveraged by many, many college soccer coaches. Transfers are seen as immediate impact and ultimately cheaper. JUCO and transfer portal makes sense to a coach that is looking for that final puzzle piece to make a run during the season. COVID forced a lot of kids to make decisions they necessarily shouldn't have made. There's plenty of buyers remorse players filling the transfer portal.

The irony of you making an ad hominem attack on another poster for being a slave to a league when it seems pretty clear you're just projecting....GA is a good league, and I'm glad it exists as ECNL should not have a total monopoly, but to say the top talent is split between ECNL and GA is pretty silly to 99% of informed people and this is including college coaches....the top kids in GA will do just fine, there's just a lot less of them than there is in the ECNL (at least in the SW) and this is backed up by every metric going.....

But I'll repeat again...whether ECNL, GA or ECRL, pick the coach that your DD likes the best and will play the most with....life is too short to put up with an a-hole coach whatever letters are on your sleeves

The irony of you making an ad hominem attack on another poster for being a slave to a league when it seems pretty clear you're just projecting....GA is a good league, and I'm glad it exists as ECNL should not have a total monopoly, but to say the top talent is split between ECNL and GA is pretty silly to 99% of informed people and this is including college coaches....the top kids in GA will do just fine, there's just a lot less of them than there is in the ECNL (at least in the SW) and this is backed up by every metric going.....

But I'll repeat again...whether ECNL, GA or ECRL, pick the coach that your DD likes the best and will play the most with....life is too short to put up with an a-hole coach whatever letters are on your sleeves
I'm with you 100% for almost all players being on the #1 team in XYZ superleague doesnt matter. There are a couple where it really does matter but they'll find their way to a top college or pro team no matter what.

Having a good coach that supports your kid + a club that supports your team are the most important things.

The one that does tend to bother me about the "ECNL is best" zombies is that many of the top ECNL clubs dont develop players. They simply recruit talent other clubs have developed them from a young age. It sucks for smaller clubs that do everything right at the younger ages to have their top players recruited away at the older ages.

You crack me up. My dd went to just one and it paid off big time. Not in a deal, but confidence for my kid. Top program had "extra" camp after Rona rules were lifted and we drove up to let her run with the YNT players. Coach had no clue who my kid was because she was kicked out of the top league (GDA) just because she wanted to play HS Soccer and was out of the game so to speak. The top coaches at the top programs already know who the best are and have no time. Camps make them money for the program. It's like going to a Jim Morris baseball camp tryout. Basically, you need a miracle. I thought she could get a deal just playing HS Soccer and I was wrong. No one showed up so I agree 100% you best better get on a top ECNL team, with a top Doc to be seen. GA is a good back up if your riding the pine. You need to play to be seen. Back to the camp. She played lights out 5 v 5 and coach ran to her after the game winner and had so many nice things to say about how she played but grades come into play at this top school and no deal. She was encouraged and it helped her not give up the sport altogether. Not playing in club for three years basically hurt her and the Rona was not helpful either. I have yet to hear about someone getting a deal at these camps. Welcome to the forum btw way Slobodan. Does Slo bo dan mean anything?

I'm not against camps... I think they're a great idea if you can afford them, but as many others have posted your sentiments here... they're mostly fundraisers so just know what you're getting into. Playing against very good players and experiencing the pressure, etc was great for my kid. That said, I'm not aware of anyone being picked up at a camp although coaches will tell you a portion of their roster were seen at XYZ camp.

Slobodan was the greatest indoor goalkeeper of all time. RIP... Slobo.

Thanks Crush.

wait wut? who am I attacking and what am I projecting? I've basically said the same thing you've said except you accuse me of violence and not being informed..having two DDs go through this process gives me enough experience to be dangerous. How do you define split? ECNL has more teams...the math doesn't add up. ECNL=GA in terms of showcase college coverage.

Back