Next best league to get visibility with college coaches

Of course those 14 scholarships are normally divided up among more than 14 players with few getting a full ride. This mystery school is saying that they don’t do that and award all of the available funds to half the team?
No Slick x2- that's what you said.....

You can be in any league, event, tournament, or just High school and there can be scouts, coaches, etc looking at players but normally that doesn't matter much unless your player has already made contact or is on the radar of the people at those events.

Exposure at a event or league doesn't mean anything if they're not really taking a hard look or deeper dive at your player.

The majors have so many players there looking at, they don't normally pay much attention to a rando player,maybe they take a note or will remember if the player contacts them right after or during the event.

Some blind offers may come for a random player that is a standout but those are most likely from small or obscure organizations that don't have a lot of draw.

The contacts your coaches, club, and the relationships your player makes with those at the next level is more important vs any league. Build those relationship and don't worry about which league much, perform at the events, playoffs, leagues or whatever to back that up.

A Big fish in a small bowl will not continue to grow. They are not challenged constantly. They will never reach their full potential. This perspective is what drives teams/clubs to sandbag in leagues and tournaments. Only concerned with W's and L's, and not pitting yourself against the best teams you possibly can week after week. Steel sharpens Steel. This has been proven in many studies evaluating Sports Performance Cusp Theory. Players develop most efficiently and effectively when challenged in an environment that demandt 100% of their abilities, but only finds success 50-60% of the time. If your team is winning more that 80% of the time, they need to move up to a more challenging League/Bracket/Organization. As others have already stated, challenging yourself by playing in the ECNL SW is about prioritizing the players development in the most challenging environment available; building Learned Industriousness, so they don't become overwhelmed or get crushed when they get to college (the big lake). If your primary concern is the win-loss record, sure, find a good team in a league full of mediocre teams, and continue to build the players Ego with all the sandbags. The problem is Sandbag foundations don't last in challenging environments.
But lots of splinters....
Slick you're obviously a degenerate pervert.....

The contacts your coaches, club, and the relationships your player makes with those at the next level is more important vs any league. Build those relationship and don't worry about which league much, perform at the events, playoffs, leagues or whatever to back that up.
Parents also need to work the relationship angle and make sure your TM feels grateful and supported by the player/parent(s), so they will put in a good word for your playa and let the scouts know the type of human being your player truly is, just saying:cool:

Last edited:
You can be in any league, event, tournament, or just High school and there can be scouts, coaches, etc looking at players but normally that doesn't matter much unless your player has already made contact or is on the radar of the people at those events.

Exposure at a event or league doesn't mean anything if they're not really taking a hard look or deeper dive at your player.

The majors have so many players there looking at, they don't normally pay much attention to a rando player, maybe they take a note or will remember if the player contacts them right after or during the event.

Some blind offers may come for a random player that is a standout but those are most likely from small or obscure organizations that don't have a lot of draw.

I would say this is mostly true. My dd has written to about 25 schools starting at the end of her freshman year (she is '25). Some of those schools have come to watch her play and some haven't. However, her club coach has heard from 11 other schools who have expressed interested in my dd based upon seeing her play in games. My dd had never reached out to these schools and some are power 5. We will see which schools are really interested in a few weeks, but I think playing in ECNL/GA events against highly ranked teams can get you noticed. I still think making a list of schools during freshmen year, writing them and sending video is an essential part of the process.

That is why it is up to the player to target the colleges and coaches, and not just hope to be "discovered".

No doubt... and if I'm a coach, I want a kid that writes or calls me. More than once. If you're joining my family for the next 4-5 years, I need to know you want to be here. The sad part is that I see better players, on smaller clubs, not getting the same shake as lesser player (I've watched both grow up and play for years) because lesser player has "ECNL" behind her name. That's aggravating but life isn't fair.

Unfortunately, part of the problem with coaches having too much power is this very construct.

I would say this is mostly true. My dd has written to about 25 schools starting at the end of her freshman year (she is '25). Some of those schools have come to watch her play and some haven't. However, her club coach has heard from 11 other schools who have expressed interested in my dd based upon seeing her play in games. My dd had never reached out to these schools and some are power 5. We will see which schools are really interested in a few weeks, but I think playing in ECNL/GA events against highly ranked teams can get you noticed. I still think making a list of schools during freshmen year, writing them and sending video is an essential part of the process.
Sounds like you are on top of things. Are you including a link to her highlights with those emails? Plus these emails are a way to let the schools know you are interested in them. They can come watch, like what they see, but don't know if you have any interest. ECNL/GA is the best place to get seen in SoCal, this coming from a parent that never had her kid playing in either of those leagues. It isn't the only way to play in college. I think the combination of your emails and playing ECNL/GA give you a huge advantage and will give you a number of choices. Consider playing time as one of the criteria when choosing your school.

My dd is going into high school (turning 14 in May) and she informed me that she wants to play in college. I doubt that she is good enough to make ECNL teams ( withv aluable playing minutes) but she did well a few years back guest playing for an ECRL team. She has played well against E64 and NPL teams so I am now looking for the best way to get her exposure in front of college scouts. Question for all, do non ECNL leagues have a change to get scouted by college coaches? Does the Girls Academy league still get alot of attention with college scouts? There's also E64, NPL, and for that matter just trying out through those College ID camps. Looking for guidance from you all.
Go to as many College ID Camps as possible and make a name for yourself...

The article is a great summary of the success and subsequent failure of the DA. The DA completed changed the landscape for women‘s youth soccer and then a few years into it, completely yanked the support from the women’s game. The conclusion is eye opening—the USWNT will succumb to European traditional academies and then throw tons of $$$$, numbers and GDP at the women‘s game. Sounds like how the USA reacted in World War II.

Back