Next best league to get visibility with college coaches

Oldest daughter played ECNL and was seen by many "higher" quality college coaches, but also by several other D1 and D2 and D3 coaches at those showcases. Youngest is in a smaller club playing GA. The GA showcases seem to have fewer of the "higher" quality coaches, but still have those (Stanford, Santa Clara, Duke) and plenty of other P5 conference teams and several high academic institutions such as several IVY schools.
Even if a coach felt one league was better or worse than another it doesnt make sense to not attend showcases. You get treated like royalty + get to network with other coaches + at the end of the day might find a couple of players you like.

It’s complicated. Our poor old 2005 NPL team has two girls at TCU, another at Princeton and another at Notre Dame. Three turned down D1 offers to go to UCLA and the rest playing in smaller schools. One may be playing in the Women’s World Cup for the Philippines. ECNL or the GA would have definitely been easier, you just have to work harder to break through the old boys network.
THIS IS JEOPARDY!

The answer is, What is Tudela.

I just dont understand the perennial SoCal ECNL bottom feeders in league. What are you doing + why are you participating in a league where you'll never be highlighted.

The same goes for ECNL bench players. Why are you just praying for minutes. Top colleges arent going to recruit the benchwarmers.

Sometimes it's nice to be a big fish in a small bowl. Do you really need to potentially get hurt every weekend from U13 on just to play on a super team in college? Is a superteam in college even worth it? Why not just go pro if playing at the highest level is your only goal?

A Big fish in a small bowl will not continue to grow. They are not challenged constantly. They will never reach their full potential. This perspective is what drives teams/clubs to sandbag in leagues and tournaments. Only concerned with W's and L's, and not pitting yourself against the best teams you possibly can week after week. Steel sharpens Steel. This has been proven in many studies evaluating Sports Performance Cusp Theory. Players develop most efficiently and effectively when challenged in an environment that demandt 100% of their abilities, but only finds success 50-60% of the time. If your team is winning more that 80% of the time, they need to move up to a more challenging League/Bracket/Organization. As others have already stated, challenging yourself by playing in the ECNL SW is about prioritizing the players development in the most challenging environment available; building Learned Industriousness, so they don't become overwhelmed or get crushed when they get to college (the big lake). If your primary concern is the win-loss record, sure, find a good team in a league full of mediocre teams, and continue to build the players Ego with all the sandbags. The problem is Sandbag foundations don't last in challenging environments.

A Big fish in a small bowl will not continue to grow. They are not challenged constantly. They will never reach their full potential. This perspective is what drives teams/clubs to sandbag in leagues and tournaments. Only concerned with W's and L's, and not pitting yourself against the best teams you possibly can week after week. Steel sharpens Steel. This has been proven in many studies evaluating Sports Performance Cusp Theory. Players develop most efficiently and effectively when challenged in an environment that demandt 100% of their abilities, but only finds success 50-60% of the time. If your team is winning more that 80% of the time, they need to move up to a more challenging League/Bracket/Organization. As others have already stated, challenging yourself by playing in the ECNL SW is about prioritizing the players development in the most challenging environment available; building Learned Industriousness, so they don't become overwhelmed or get crushed when they get to college (the big lake). If your primary concern is the win-loss record, sure, find a good team in a league full of mediocre teams, and continue to build the players Ego with all the sandbags. The problem is Sandbag foundations don't last in challenging environments.
You do realize that Socal both GA and ECNL produces some of the best players in the country.

"Steel vs Steel" whatever that means just creates over competiteve situations where 14 year olds are getting ACL surgery.

Soccer is a marathon not a sprint. Top talent will always have opportunities to play with the best teams if they want to chase trophies. Parents will move, players will get boyfriends/girlfriends, some will quit for other sports, etc etc etc.

If GA wants to play ECNL teams I can guarantee ECNL clubs will gladly accept them into their tournamants + vice versa.

You do realize that Socal both GA and ECNL produces some of the best players in the country.

"Steel vs Steel" whatever that means just creates over competiteve situations where 14 year olds are getting ACL surgery.

Soccer is a marathon not a sprint. Top talent will always have opportunities to play with the best teams if they want to chase trophies. Parents will move, players will get boyfriends/girlfriends, some will quit for other sports, etc etc etc.

If GA wants to play ECNL teams I can guarantee ECNL clubs will gladly accept them into their tournamants + vice versa.

Just answering your questionabout why people choose to play in the most challenging league in the southwest, instead of other options. I didn't say anything about the other leagues, ie GA. Feeling like the shoe fits? No need to bring up a bunch of irrelevant excuses of why you don't like the answer of why people choose SW ECNL teams over other options, even if it isn't one of the top 3 SW ECNL teams.

My dd is going into high school (turning 14 in May) and she informed me that she wants to play in college. I doubt that she is good enough to make ECNL teams ( withv aluable playing minutes) but she did well a few years back guest playing for an ECRL team. She has played well against E64 and NPL teams so I am now looking for the best way to get her exposure in front of college scouts. Question for all, do non ECNL leagues have a change to get scouted by college coaches? Does the Girls Academy league still get alot of attention with college scouts? There's also E64, NPL, and for that matter just trying out through those College ID camps. Looking for guidance from you all.
Im late to this thread but I'll add my 2 cents. So having been through this with baseball (not recruited) for my son and soccer with my daughter.(recruited) First that is a big step by admitting the reality of her skill level. ALL of us think our kids are better than they are! so being realistic makes the process better. You dont say where she wants to play. It sounds safe to say you don't think she is a power 5 conference player. With that said there is a college she can play!!!
D2 D3 NAIA have hundreds of rosters that need to be filled. So the good news is she will play if she has some talent. The thing about the small schools is that they have small budgets so you won't see them flying all over the country trying to find kids that will play for them. Most of the small schools have to find regional players. You will have to reach out to them and let them you are interested. The more coaches you contact the better the odds. All of these coaches know each other they have either played or coached with/against each other they move around from school to school. The higher the league she plays increases the amount of coaches willing to open an email especially from a small school. My suggestion is get on the highest level but with the most playing time because it wouldn't be good if you have a coach show up and she gets last 10 min of a 5-0 game. Also if she plays on a ECNL or GA club that might not be the best in the league she will still be playing against better teams and if she can hold her own she will shine while coaches are there watching the other team's superstar.
Many of the small schools will attach themselves to a bigger college's ID camp. An example if UC Irvine has a camp you might also see some of the other schools in the area Soka, Vanguard etc. That might be a way to be seen. In the mean time if you can get her into the gym that will do wonders. its not as easy to get girls to lift but when she sees results she will be hooked.

Lastly get good grades! let her talent dictate where she ends up not her grades. good luck DM me if you want anything else

Im late to this thread but I'll add my 2 cents. So having been through this with baseball (not recruited) for my son and soccer with my daughter.(recruited) First that is a big step by admitting the reality of her skill level. ALL of us think our kids are better than they are! so being realistic makes the process better. You dont say where she wants to play. It sounds safe to say you don't think she is a power 5 conference player. With that said there is a college she can play!!!
D2 D3 NAIA have hundreds of rosters that need to be filled. So the good news is she will play if she has some talent. The thing about the small schools is that they have small budgets so you won't see them flying all over the country trying to find kids that will play for them. Most of the small schools have to find regional players. You will have to reach out to them and let them you are interested. The more coaches you contact the better the odds. All of these coaches know each other they have either played or coached with/against each other they move around from school to school. The higher the league she plays increases the amount of coaches willing to open an email especially from a small school. My suggestion is get on the highest level but with the most playing time because it wouldn't be good if you have a coach show up and she gets last 10 min of a 5-0 game. Also if she plays on a ECNL or GA club that might not be the best in the league she will still be playing against better teams and if she can hold her own she will shine while coaches are there watching the other team's superstar.
Many of the small schools will attach themselves to a bigger college's ID camp. An example if UC Irvine has a camp you might also see some of the other schools in the area Soka, Vanguard etc. That might be a way to be seen. In the mean time if you can get her into the gym that will do wonders. its not as easy to get girls to lift but when she sees results she will be hooked.

Lastly get good grades! let her talent dictate where she ends up not her grades. good luck DM me if you want anything else
This is exactly what I've been arguing.

If your kid isnt going to play on the 3-5 top ECNL teams it usually doesnt make sense to play on the mid to lower level ECNL teams. If you're not going to get highlighted at showcases you're not going to get noticed by different colleges. Also, dont kid yourself into thinking that my kid will get noticed because they were the best on the team that just got pummeled by a super team.

ECNL, GA, NPL, DPL, Next, Socal etc, etc, etc. College coaches are watching which teams are winning + the players that are on those teams.

Coaches time is limited + they want to be catered to + for leagues and clubs to highlight who they should take. Remember they can also pull from the transfer portal + spend time recruiting players they know will be successful day 1.

If your kid isnt going to play on the 3-5 top ECNL teams it usually doesnt make sense to play on the mid to lower level ECNL teams. If you're not going to get highlighted at showcases you're not going to get noticed by different colleges. Also, dont kid yourself into thinking that my kid will get noticed because they were the best on the team that just got pummeled by a super team.

ECNL, GA, NPL, DPL, Next, Socal etc, etc, etc. College coaches are watching which teams are winning + the players that are on those teams.

Huh? I am not trying to be rude as I like your posts but he didn't say that at all, he said the opposite....get your kid on an ECNL roster or if not a GA roster with the caveat being to make sure they get good playing time....I agree with him and will add that unless you're on a really poor team that gets whooped every weekend where nobody can shine, college coaches don't much care about the record.....they are recruiting individuals not teams.....sure the 1st team will get more scouts coming out but a top player on a 6th place team is still getting recruited and likely more so than the 18th player on the team in first.....college coaches from good schools most definitely don't care about a teams win % in DPL or NPL but they will look at standout players there's just a lot less of them.....

Huh? I am not trying to be rude as I like your posts but he didn't say that at all, he said the opposite....get your kid on an ECNL roster or if not a GA roster with the caveat being to make sure they get good playing time....I agree with him and will add that unless you're on a really poor team that gets whooped every weekend where nobody can shine, college coaches don't much care about the record.....they are recruiting individuals not teams.....sure the 1st team will get more scouts coming out but a top player on a 6th place team is still getting recruited and likely more so than the 18th player on the team in first.....college coaches from good schools most definitely don't care about a teams win % in DPL or NPL but they will look at standout players there's just a lot less of them.....
From the coaches I've spoken with they do keep an eye on wins because usually winning teams are better coached + will have better players in all positions. (Hence why they're winning)

Coaches time is limited + they want to be catered to + for leagues and clubs to highlight who they should take. Remember they can also pull from the transfer portal + spend time recruiting players they know will be successful day 1.
I would agree that exposure on bad ecnl teams probably isn't great, but you are wrong related to mid level ECNL teams. At the ECNL showcase two weekends ago, there were 40+ d1 coaches at an 06 game of a Southwest team with a losing record (playing a mid level team from another conference). I'd say the top 8-10 Southwest team get a lot of exposure, not the top 3-5 per your post.

From the coaches I've spoken with they do keep an eye on wins because usually winning teams are better coached + will have better players in all positions. (Hence why they're winning)
Hmmmm...I've never heard this. It's hard to look good when your team is playing poorly together. However, good coaches do not want to watch you play against bad competition bc it won't help them access your ability to play at the college level.

Is that a D1 we've heard of or Our Lady of Perpetual Obscurity?
Don't quite know how to answer that one Slick, but here it goes; (14) D1 scholarships for any one D1 team- hmmmmm? Now the big schools are carrying anywhere from 22-30 players.... Some even more.... If we exclude the scholarship recipients, Slick, then somehow anywhere from 10-20 other players at D1 schools "walked-on" Slick.... I think that "boom" is a Russian hypersonic missile hitting Slick's house.....

Don't quite know how to answer that one Slick, but here it goes; (14) D1 scholarships for any one D1 team- hmmmmm? Now the big schools are carrying anywhere from 22-30 players.... Some even more.... If we exclude the scholarship recipients, Slick, then somehow anywhere from 10-20 other players at D1 schools "walked-on" Slick.... I think that "boom" is a Russian hypersonic missile hitting Slick's house.....

What are you babbling about? Did I hurt your feelings? My question was about the prominence of a D1 program with half the roster being walk-ons. Does that literally mean girls that got into the school and showed up to try out or are they players that were recruited and received no money?

What are you babbling about? Did I hurt your feelings? My question was about the prominence of a D1 program with half the roster being walk-ons. Does that literally mean girls that got into the school and showed up to try out or are they players that were recruited and received no money?
Too bad Slick.... That Russian hypersonic missile left brain damage.....

Of course those 14 scholarships are normally divided up among more than 14 players with few getting a full ride. This mystery school is saying that they don’t do that and award all of the available funds to half the team?

Of course those 14 scholarships are normally divided up among more than 14 players with few getting a full ride. This mystery school is saying that they don’t do that and award all of the available funds to half the team?

Careful... if you ask a question you run the risk of pushing his menstrual cycle over the edge.

Back