Get ready folks

Wouldn't she be playing on a 2028 ECNL club team if the rule change happened? She's a 2028 in high school right now. I thought teams would be formed based on what high school graduation year you are?
No, it would go by birthdays not but graduation year still. Only thing that would change would be calendar year dates versus school year dates.

This was exactly how it was in 2015/16 when I an AYSO Commisioner right before the birth year change happened.

So any player who is September 2010 but graduating 2028 would be be playing U15 instead of U16 when this rule takes affect. They do not look at class of 2028 or class of 2029 specifically. We assume kids who are in that birth range would be graduating those years just as we assume kids born in birth year are graduating certain class years

I think you need to let go of ECNL conspiracy theories. Grouping by grad class does make sense when you think of kids not having much to do between 8th/9th grade when most start playing HS soccer while others are still in 8th grade. And makes recruiting more straightforward.

My kid would be somewhat adversely impacted being one of the youngest in her grade. But by U14 all of the kids are catching up in growth so it's pretty much a wash at that point. Most clubs will prob give option for younger trapped players in an age group to continue on with their existing older teammates or to drop down to their grade level group. And those that choose to drop down probably are fighting for playing time on their existing team and no guarantee that they'll get that much of a leg up playing down for U14 or older age groups.
I like how you glossed over the facts and went strait to "conspiracy theory".

The truth is ECNL wouldn't care about trapped players if the change didn't benefit their league directly.

Sorry, I've been around all this too long and see the forest through the trees.

I like how you glossed over the facts and went strait to "conspiracy theory".
By facts do you mean this?
I realize that many aren't honest about why ECNL is considering this move. I can promise you that it's not to help trapped players. It's 100% about giving ECNL teams a 5-6 month advantage over their competition and making it so ECNL teams can't play in non ECNL events.
As I've said before I think you have invested WAY too much into a particular league and club. Focus on your player, do what's best for them, don't trust any league or club or coach.

Changing back to a July fiscal year should revolutionize youth soccer development in our country. Much like the small-sided initiatives, the build-out line, the Double PASS evaluation, the change to calendar year, bio-banding, the DA etc have dramatically improved soccer in this country in the last decade.

Everyone I talk to from the governing bodies said this will be decided in November anyone who says this is or isn’t happening doesn’t know for sure.

By facts do you mean this?

As I've said before I think you have invested WAY too much into a particular league and club. Focus on your player, do what's best for them, don't trust any league or club or coach.
You seem to like personal attacks. First it was "conspiracy theory" now it's "way too much time".

What I see is a youth soccer environment that's currently based on calender birth year + everything works as is. I also don't think that trapped players are that big of a deal.

ECNL is considering changing things up and if implemented the change will affect everyone. Ie not just the trapped players.

The "facts" are that if ECNL teams were determined by grade not year it would force all the other leagues to either do the same or give ECNL teams a 5-6 month advantage on players age. Also ECNL teams as they would exist after making the switch to grade would not be able to participate in calender year tournaments. Unless they wanted to shuffle teams around. (Which will never happen). These are HUGE incentives for ECNL. Their players would be older than everyone else's and ECNL teams wouldn't be able to participate in other league tournaments. Guaranteed wins and more money for ECNL what's not to love?

You seem to like personal attacks. First it was "conspiracy theory" now it's "way too much time".

What I see is a youth soccer environment that's currently based on calender birth year + everything works as is. I also don't think that trapped players are that big of a deal.

ECNL is considering changing things up and if implemented the change will affect everyone. Ie not just the trapped players.

The "facts" are that if ECNL teams were determined by grade not year it would force all the other leagues to either do the same or give ECNL teams a 5-6 month advantage on players age. Also ECNL teams as they would exist after making the switch to grade would not be able to participate in calender year tournaments. Unless they wanted to shuffle teams around. (Which will never happen). These are HUGE incentives for ECNL. Their players would be older than everyone else's and ECNL teams wouldn't be able to participate in other league tournaments. Guaranteed wins and more money for ECNL what's not to love?

This will not just be an ECNL decision. Everyone will decide what’s best and we will live with that. From what I’m told USYS is no longer on board. US Club is for the change.

But without everyone on the same page it will not happen. Will have a meeting about it in November and more than likely will not change and we will hear that outcome sometime officially around the new year.

this effected my dd back in like 2018 when they switched from school year calendar to birth year. she went from pre ecnl at u12 to ecnl u14. we were told that us soccer wanted to align with international birth years, because they don't do school calendar years overseas. She also had the Girl's DA start, which ended up being a train wreck, back to ecnl after it folded, and college recruiting rules changed also during this time, all in the span of 4 years. we just celebrated her Senior Night last weekend at a top D1 school. when we look back, it goes faster than you realize. enjoy it, enjoy every moment. because nothing lasts forever.

This will not just be an ECNL decision. Everyone will decide what’s best and we will live with that. From what I’m told USYS is no longer on board. US Club is for the change.

But without everyone on the same page it will not happen. Will have a meeting about it in November and more than likely will not change and we will hear that outcome sometime officially around the new year.
The only group I've seen discuss this topic openly is ECNL and their leadership did it in a podcast.

If all the different leagues are discussing this behind closed doors and they all decide that sorting teams by grade is the way to go, great. It doesn't matter what the different leagues choose to do. It does matter that that everyone implements the same changes.

Do you have a link that shows a league or group other than ECNL that's discussing the potential change?

the fact that they changed it and caused all these issues and they are actually thinking about changing it back and causing issues again is very disturbing to me.
after 5 years, who knows. would love to see some data justifying why they switched 5 years ago, and now why they are going back. i have one kid left in the youth soccer world.. he is in the mls next system. and they do what they want. ecnl switches, it doesn't effect them. they are forever combining and realigning age groups, etc. every season is something new. roll with the changes....

The only group I've seen discuss this topic openly is ECNL and their leadership did it in a podcast.

If all the different leagues are discussing this behind closed doors and they all decide that sorting teams by grade is the way to go, great. It doesn't matter what the different leagues choose to do. It does matter that that everyone implements the same changes.

Do you have a link that shows a league or group other than ECNL that's discussing the potential change?
If you look at the photo I attached. It’s ECNL acknowledging that this is being talked about on a broader soccer landscape. This is not just ECNL would be a change for everyone.

Will they decide to switch back who’s really wanting/ not wanting the change? I have no idea.

U14 is the last year when players are all in Middle School

U15 is when the trapped players are in Middle School and the rest of the team is in High School.

If ECNL was to grandfather teams they'd do it to U15 and up.

I think changing to school year is a mistake + a waste of time. Trapped players are generally better than their grade level classmates. If I was a recruiter I'd prioritize trapped players over grade level equivalents. Parents are the ones that like to complain about all the perceived issues trapped players have to persevere.
Can you please explain this to me like i am a child? I mean that seriously. When you say U15 is when trapped players are in MS and rest are in HS. And what is a trapped player vs a grade level classmate? Thank you.

Can you please explain this to me like i am a child? I mean that seriously. When you say U15 is when trapped players are in MS and rest are in HS. And what is a trapped player vs a grade level classmate? Thank you.
Here is an example...

"Child" was born in 2008 and whether it's the public school birthday cut off rule, private school rules or personal preference the child didn't start kindergarten until they were 6 (when most were 5). Now Child begins to play soccer and since their birth year is 2008 they play with the 2008 group. Since child started school late, most everyone else on the team is in a grade older. When those teammates graduate in 2026, child will still have their Senior year to complete, since they're class of 2027. So, now Child will play with the 2009 age group. This is what a "trapped" player is. In ECNL, when child is in 8th grade, most of the team will be in HS and ECNL breaks for HS so Child is often left having to train on their own.

Did this make sense or did I make it more confusing?

Here is an example...

"Child" was born in 2008 and whether it's the public school birthday cut off rule, private school rules or personal preference the child didn't start kindergarten until they were 6 (when most were 5). Now Child begins to play soccer and since their birth year is 2008 they play with the 2008 group. Since child started school late, most everyone else on the team is in a grade older. When those teammates graduate in 2026, child will still have their Senior year to complete, since they're class of 2027. So, now Child will play with the 2009 age group. This is what a "trapped" player is. In ECNL, when child is in 8th grade, most of the team will be in HS and ECNL breaks for HS so Child is often left having to train on their own.

Did this make sense or did I make it more confusing?

My kid's a trapped player, so when ECNL pauses for high school soccer this November, the club are going to form a scratch team from the remaining middle schoolers on the 3 NL/RL teams and arrange scrimmages / tournaments, presumably against other scratch teams.

Here's how it works with birth year...

Some of the players in say 6th-ish grade will be born before Dec 31st and others will be born after Jan 1st. If you're born before Dec 31st you'll likely be one of the younger players (in 6th grade) on a mostly 7th grade team. If you're born after Jan 1st you'll most likely be a 7th grade player playing on a 7th grade team. When the players are young it doesn't matter. When the players get older college recruiters are looking for players that will graduate on a certain year. The theory is that if teams are of mixed grade in school it causes confusion for recruiters that are only looking for players that will graduate on a certain year.

What ECNL has proposed is moving the cutoff for teams from Jan 1st to something like Aug 1st. With Aug 1st 99% of the players on a team would all be in the same grade in school.

Back