Get ready folks

The problem/issue with ECNL switching to school grade year is that the change will totally favor ECNL.

Once the change is made all ECNL teams will have players 5-6 months older than birth year teams. Also ECNL teams won't be able to play in birth year tournaments. Birth year teams can play in ECNL tournaments but all the teams they'll play against will have players 5-6 months older on their teams.

I realize that many aren't honest about why ECNL is considering this move. I can promise you that it's not to help trapped players. It's 100% about giving ECNL teams a 5-6 month advantage over their competition and making it so ECNL teams can't play in non ECNL events.

The problem/issue with ECNL switching to school grade year is that the change will totally favor ECNL.

Once the change is made all ECNL teams will have players 5-6 months older than birth year teams. Also ECNL teams won't be able to play in birth year tournaments. Birth year teams can play in ECNL tournaments but all the teams they'll play against will have players 5-6 months older on their teams.

I realize that many aren't honest about why ECNL is considering this move. I can promise you that it's not to help trapped players. It's 100% about giving ECNL teams a 5-6 month advantage over their competition and making it so ECNL teams can't play in non ECNL events.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an ECNL bracket only at surf cup or they just run their own summer showcase lol makes it so only way you can play ECNL teams is to be on one.

I would argue on the girls side that most trapped players are ECRL level not ECNL level. There does seem to be an advantage for kids born early in the year over late. My kid is a Sept 2010 birthday. No doubt this move would have her likely playing 2011 NL if it happens. What’s unique in her situation is she’s class of 2028 not 29 because she went to a private school that let her stay with her birth year because of where she was academically and socially. So I’m curious how this change would affect her playing with class of 2029 but as a 2028.

ECNL does not need an additional advantage over competition. And there's nothing to stop other leagues to follow suit or at least send a comparable team to a tournament that might follow this new age division.

It’s not going to be mls next. The problem is the mls academy teams compete with Europe which is by calendar year. So they are required to go by birth year. Nonacademy Mls next teams therefore will have to remain calendar year because they exist to serve the academy teams.
While most countries in Europe use birth year, I believe the UK uses school year. Just listened to a podcast on Project Footballer discussing this topic.

ECNL does not need an additional advantage over competition. And there's nothing to stop other leagues to follow suit or at least send a comparable team to a tournament that might follow this new age division.
The thing is ECNL has multiple ways to address "trapped players". They could allow X number to play down. They could allow X number to play down only in Showcases. They could create a link on their website listing all trapped players and their commitment status. Etc etc etc...

However the solution that ECNL has floated is the one that benefits them the most. Just be honest and admit that if it happens trapped players aren't the only reason ECNL is considering the change.

I think everything will work out.... if you're a trapped player you were going to eventually play with the kids in your graduating class at some point regardless the league. Yes it's a bit confusing, annoying, etc. but honestly a lot of stuff is when it comes to club soccer. I think since you get recruited according to your graduation year, it makes sense but what do I know??? I have a kid who has benefited playing with an older class since the college exposure was earlier, but also we always looked at the team a year younger to see the dynamics, etc. knowing at some point that would be the new team.

It is almost as if ECNL tries to artificially limit competition.

I would argue on the girls side that most trapped players are ECRL level not ECNL level. There does seem to be an advantage for kids born early in the year over late. My kid is a Sept 2010 birthday. No doubt this move would have her likely playing 2011 NL if it happens. What’s unique in her situation is she’s class of 2028 not 29 because she went to a private school that let her stay with her birth year because of where she was academically and socially. So I’m curious how this change would affect her playing with class of 2029 but as a 2028.
Wouldn't she be playing on a 2028 ECNL club team if the rule change happened? She's a 2028 in high school right now. I thought teams would be formed based on what high school graduation year you are?

Exactly. These ”trapped” players are in the best situation. If it’s being done to help the trapped players it’s ridiculous. If for example your on a 2010 ECNL team right now and your a 2029 your in an amazing spot. 80 to 90% of your team is in high school trying to make varsity and your getting extra training chillin in 8th grade. Next year you will go to high school and play varsity no doubt. Then you will get an extra looks for recruiting for college since your a year behind but your club team isn’t. It’s a ridiculous place to be in and not really fair honestly. If you argue they get screwed that last year of club who cares. The high level player was already recruited.
That's not how it has worked for any trapped player I have known. They get screwed from U15 thru U19.

If you’re talking about maybe the top 30% of trapped players I would agree but most ECNL teams trapped players are subs or just not rostered as often. The other 70% want the opportunity for their kid to develop and showcase with their grade. Which is why if they make the change many trapped players will immediately take the option to go down for better development.

I personally think it should stay BY but ECNL should add late development clause for trapped players. Give each team 3 spots they can use if it’s in a players best interest to do so.
And those other 70% of trapped players will likely be starters when they return to playing with thier peers in Grade Year.

I would say I've heard it from enough people "in the game". Directors of big club and of big league organization in CA. I really hope it's wrong but I believe it. Where there is smoke there is....in most cases. If it's not set by the end of 2024 then I'll believe I'm wrong. I think rumors will get stronger in November as that board meeting gets closer. Otherwise, it sounds like it's happening sometime in the near future. Of course, I bet many clubs don't fully change and still keep teams as is especially the HS ages.
Until the players realize they now have twice as many options and start doing the club shuffle. The Clubs are going to want to keep their players, I'm sure they will move them as needed.

It does not matter where you make a cut off, there will always be kids older or younger. The age argument is a moot point from any perspective. There is no way to change that scenario. And we all know these Tournaments don't check player cards 😅🤣🤣.

The thing is ECNL has multiple ways to address "trapped players". They could allow X number to play down. They could allow X number to play down only in Showcases. They could create a link on their website listing all trapped players and their commitment status. Etc etc etc...

However the solution that ECNL has floated is the one that benefits them the most. Just be honest and admit that if it happens trapped players aren't the only reason ECNL is considering the change.
Just give all Trapped Players the option to play down. Everyone can choose the scenario that works best for their situation.

Just in time for one of my kids who has been screwed by this since it was implemented to age out.
I agree. It has been a shitshow since it started. Was never a good reason to change in the first place. The 0.05 or less of players who are going to be playing in Europe I'm sure can manage to figure out which team they need to play up onto if the age cutoff is a problem for them.

Just give all Trapped Players the option to play down. Everyone can choose the scenario that works best for their situation.
This wouldn't work for tournaments unless they had the same rules. (Which I'm all for) I think the whole age bound teams dynamic is stupid. I get why clubs do it (makes a lot more $$$) I'd rather clubs have a single team for say 3 age groups and start over every 3 years. This would make games much more exciting and players would get to experience working to be on the top team several times as a youth.

I think you need to let go of ECNL conspiracy theories. Grouping by grad class does make sense when you think of kids not having much to do between 8th/9th grade when most start playing HS soccer while others are still in 8th grade. And makes recruiting more straightforward.

My kid would be somewhat adversely impacted being one of the youngest in her grade. But by U14 all of the kids are catching up in growth so it's pretty much a wash at that point. Most clubs will prob give option for younger trapped players in an age group to continue on with their existing older teammates or to drop down to their grade level group. And those that choose to drop down probably are fighting for playing time on their existing team and no guarantee that they'll get that much of a leg up playing down for U14 or older age groups.

Back