G2010 - How’s the 2022 season going?

Hey there all and greetings from the Midwest.

We will be out your way for ECNL playoffs in a couple weeks, and given it’s our first year I was hoping to get some friendly logistical advice from the locals who have experience with the area and/ or event via older kids. So couple questions.

1) Our team hotel is in the Carlsbad area, and the driving guides claim it’s approximately 30 minutes to the fields, but I recall reading on here somewhere that traffic and parking are a huge mess so how long do you think we should realistically budget for this drive.

2) There was already a nice thread with some good restaurant recommendations for a crowd so I think we have that covered, but appreciate any thoughts on team activities/ lower-key things to do on off days. San Diego attractions and LegoLand are obviously in easy striking distance, some folks have thrown drives to Santa Monica or UCLA campus but those seem somewhat ambitious considering traffic. I’ve also heard a sunset fire on the beach is nice, but you have to stake out the fire pit very early and I’m not sure we will have volunteers for that duty. Any ideas are appreciated, but you won’t trick us into having them go swimming before game day .

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some sunshine and quality soccer.

We will be out your way for ECNL playoffs in a couple weeks, and given it’s our first year I was hoping to get some friendly logistical advice from the locals who have experience with the area and/ or event via older kids. So couple questions.

1) Our team hotel is in the Carlsbad area, and the driving guides claim it’s approximately 30 minutes to the fields, but I recall reading on here somewhere that traffic and parking are a huge mess so how long do you think we should realistically budget for this drive.

2) There was already a nice thread with some good restaurant recommendations for a crowd so I think we have that covered, but appreciate any thoughts on team activities/ lower-key things to do on off days. San Diego attractions and LegoLand are obviously in easy striking distance, some folks have thrown drives to Santa Monica or UCLA campus but those seem somewhat ambitious considering traffic. I’ve also heard a sunset fire on the beach is nice, but you have to stake out the fire pit very early and I’m not sure we will have volunteers for that duty. Any ideas are appreciated, but you won’t trick us into having them go swimming before game day .

San Diego Is known for really good Mexican food. There's a ton of really great little hole in the wall Mexican food restaurants but if you want a really cool experience I would recommend going to Old Town State historical Park. It's full of an old-fashioned candy shop, great music, a ton of really good Mexican restaurants, fun touristy shopping. There's also the San Diego mission right next to it. There's the Whaley House (not sure if I'm spelling it right) which is a certified 'haunted house' that you can do tours in. After you can eat you can walk around and explore. Really cool area.

Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
(619) 220-5422

https://g.co/kgs/PtQ8ir

Heres some fun things to do.

- Go to the beach
- Surf lessons for the team (they will come to you)
- Oceanside harbor does 1/2 day ocean fishing tours
- Oceanside has some new hotels with bars/restaurants on the roof that overlook the ocean
- La Jolla Shores is an awesome beach for hanging out
- Moonlight Beach is an awesome beach for hanging out
- Take the train down to Old Town for food + Mexican type stuff

Definitely cancel the trip to Santa Monica/UCLA. During the week that roundtrip could take 5 to 6 hours at a minimum. That does not include the time you spend while there.

Heres some fun things to do.

- Go to the beach
- Surf lessons for the team (they will come to you)
- Oceanside harbor does 1/2 day ocean fishing tours
- Oceanside has some new hotels with bars/restaurants on the roof that overlook the ocean
- La Jolla Shores is an awesome beach for hanging out
- Moonlight Beach is an awesome beach for hanging out
- Take the train down to Old Town for food + Mexican type stuff
Some additional thoughts...

The beach (sun + water) will wipe the team out so dont do it before or between games.

You can do a late night camp out (marshmallows and smoares) with the team + businesses like this one https://www.beachfireguy.com/ will set everything up for you + pack it out when you're done.

The Steven Birtch Aquarium in La Jolla is really nice + kids love it. Sometimes they have animals like Rays you can touch at the end of the tour.

Some additional thoughts...

The beach (sun + water) will wipe the team out so dont do it before or between games.

You can do a late night camp out (marshmallows and smoares) with the team + businesses like this one https://www.beachfireguy.com/ will set everything up for you + pack it out when you're done.

The Steven Birtch Aquarium in La Jolla is really nice + kids love it. Sometimes they have animals like Rays you can touch at the end of the tour.
Great stuff Carlsbad. I would also warn EVERYONE to watch out for "Sting Rays" at the beach. My dd stepped on one and she got the sting and she still say's it was one of the most painful things she has ever endured. I think it took almost a week to heal before she could play soccer. This is no joke.

How do you relieve stingray pain?

Stingray stings can be quite painful. Often, the pain peaks after about 90 minutes, although it may last for much longer. Soaking the affected area in hot water, if possible, can help relieve pain. Anti-inflammatory and pain medications can also help.

The above recommendations are great. I also suggest:
- Mission Beach
- Belmont Park (carnival games like Coney Island)
- San Diego Zoo
- Solono Beach (North Beach) about a 10 min drive from the polo fields
- Del Mar Racetracks
- La Jolla shores
- USS Midway Museum
- Watch a San Diego
- Baseball game at PetCo Park

As a side note, a little further up (40 -60 min north) you can go to:
- Laguna Beach
- go to Dana Point (maybe take a boat to fish or whale watching)
- Main Street Huntington Beach (they have a lot of fire pits there and at Bolsa Chica State Beach about an hour north of Carlsbad)
- Irvine Spectrum (outdoor mall with various entertainment and nice restaurants)
- See various Spanish missions along the coastline

Assuming you have to arrive 30 min-1 hour early before game time, 45 minutes is good, in my opinion.

Hey there all and greetings from the Midwest. We will be out your way for ECNL playoffs in a couple weeks, and given it’s our first year I was hoping to get some friendly logistical advice from the locals who have experience with the area and/ or event via older kids. So couple questions. 1) Our team hotel is in the Carlsbad area, and the driving guides claim it’s approximately 30 minutes to the fields, but I recall reading on here somewhere that traffic and parking are a huge mess so how long do you think we should realistically budget for this drive. 2) There was already a nice thread with some good restaurant recommendations for a crowd so I think we have that covered, but appreciate any thoughts on team activities/ lower-key things to do on off days. San Diego attractions and LegoLand are obviously in easy striking distance, some folks have thrown drives to Santa Monica or UCLA campus but those seem somewhat ambitious considering traffic. I’ve also heard a sunset fire on the beach is nice, but you have to stake out the fire pit very early and I’m not sure we will have volunteers for that duty. Any ideas are appreciated, but you won’t trick us into having them go swimming before game day . Thanks in advance, looking forward to some sunshine and quality soccer.
Parking and traffic a big mess! That's the understatement of the year! Traffic mess for small tournaments . Nightmare for surf cup....showcases . ...playoffs... pack plenty of patience

The above recommendations are great. I also suggest:
- Mission Beach
- Belmont Park (carnival games like Coney Island)
- San Diego Zoo
- Solono Beach (North Beach) about a 10 min drive from the polo fields
- Del Mar Racetracks
- La Jolla shores
- USS Midway Museum
- Watch a San Diego
- Baseball game at PetCo Park

As a side note, a little further up (40 -60 min north) you can go to:
- Laguna Beach
- go to Dana Point (maybe take a boat to fish or whale watching)
- Main Street Huntington Beach (they have a lot of fire pits there and at Bolsa Chica State Beach about an hour north of Carlsbad)
- Irvine Spectrum (outdoor mall with various entertainment and nice restaurants)
- See various Spanish missions along the coastline
I would add San Clemente to the list. First OC city heading 5 North. Nice Pier, old town and great places to eat. Not many Sting Rays but Great Whites glow over at San Ono and swim up to T- Street. Laguna is a no because of the traffic.

Last edited:
I would add San Clemente to the list. First OC city heading 5 North. Nice Pier, old town and great places to eat. Not many Sting Rays but Great Whites glow over at San Ono and swim up to T- Street. Laguna is a no because of the traffic.
Love San Clemente pier. Great surfing spot with the AmTrack running near by. I also meant to add San Onofre.

One of my suggestions got cut off, it was go to a San Diego Wave match.

It’s spelled out for you in my reply. Both teams have 60 points. 3 points per win, 1 point for tie, 0 points for a loss.
Slammers is the only team with 20 wins. Blues is the only team with 1 loss. Both teams earned 60 points. Both of them won their Division. There is no PPG for standings. If you look at the final rankings, Phoenix Rising took 3rd in Sonoran because they won the head to head against SD Surf.
View attachment 16959

Since Head to Head is the first tiebreaker, Slammers would win the tie breaker if there was a Southwest Title between Blues and Slammers since both have 60 points, but I don’t believe that title exists and it’s ECRL so no one really cares.. None of it matters..
View attachment 16960View attachment 16961
I guess there is a Southwest ECNL Regional League Champion. Blues won it and had the plaque. Saw it on social today

What's this I'm hearing that RL teams were using NL players to win games? Can anyone confirm this or is it just a rumor?
What’s even the point of doing this? So you can spend 10gs on top of what you already spent this year for a trip to the finals in Virginia for your 12 year old and family where all the colleges will be at the national teams fields recruiting players older than your 12 year old?

Back