Essential Economics for Politicians

Not really. You pay every month. That's it.
So wait. If I sell my house now, how much does the bank get?
You’re scaring me.
I know what they get if I don’t sell it. They get monthly payments, much of which is deductible to me as interest, right?
But what if I sell it?

Yeah, makes sense. He seems like he could teach you a lot.
So now that you know the basics, get in touch with him and go deeper.
I did. He said that you're a good mortgage payer and that you realize failure to do so would result in foreclosure proceedings. But the bank isn't worried because they have your equity locked up which includes your 20% down payment.

Yes a lien on your house.
Man, now you are delving into the concept of “securitization” of the mortgage loan? Holy moly, Fries taught you well.
And what happens when you finish paying back the loan, with interest? Or what happens when you sell?
So, take my case for example. I bought a 2800 sq foot house in the high 800s. I keep paying the darn bank, mostly interest(!), while I live there.
I can probably now sell it for about $4m. How much of that would the bank get?

I did. He said that you're a good mortgage payer and that you realize failure to do so would result in foreclosure proceedings. But the bank isn't worried because they have your equity locked up which includes your 20% down payment.
Wait, the bank has my down payment? Didn’t the person who sold me the house get my down payment? Please explain. I thought the bank loaned me money?

Wait, the bank has my down payment? Didn’t the person who sold me the house get my down payment? Please explain.
No but the bank does control 100% of your equity if you enter foreclosure and, yes the seller got 100% of the purchase price. That's why you don't have to pay PMI.

No but the bank does control 100% of your equity if you enter foreclosure and, yes the seller got 100% of the purchase price. That's why you don't have to pay PMI.
You mean if I default on my loan I don’t own the house? OMG I can’t believe you’re giving me all this great info for free! Thanks, Iz!

Man, now you are delving into the concept of “securitization” of the mortgage loan? Holy moly, Fries taught you well.
And what happens when you finish paying back the loan, with interest? Or what happens when you sell?
So, take my case for example. I bought a 2800 sq foot house in the high 800s. I keep paying the darn bank, mostly interest(!), while I live there.
I can probably now sell it for about $4m. How much of that would the bank get?
Probably? lol! Didn't you refi 100k for education?

Back