Climate and Weather

You're out of your league here, you have no clue. I was the liquidating Trustee for the worlds largest windpower company, Kenetech, prior to it filing BK. The stress on the gearboxes when you have blades as big as 30m is insane. They require a lot of lube and often fail because of the gear box. Next time you drive past a wind plant notice the dark staining on the nacelle and sometimes down the side of the tower. Thats not honey coming out, thats gear oil. Also notice how many windmills are non-operational. More windpower projects have failed then have been successful.

I might be out of my league, if there weren't so many orders of magnitude in my favor.

We're comparing oil used for lubrication to oil used as fuel.

But, if you insist, let's compare. How many barrels of oil per megawatt hour?

A standard oil plant uses about 80 gallons of petroleum per MWH.

So, to make 6,000 MWH, you need about 480,000 gallons of petroleum.

A 2.5 to 3 MW turbine will make about 6000 MWH in a year. It will also need about a thousand gallons of lubricant. (700 gallons every 9-16 months)

So, per unit of production, the fossil plant is using about 500X as much petroleum.

In other words, windmill lubricant is a relatively small factor. Not zero. But smaller than the environmental costs normally involved in making that much power.

You should have gone for concrete. That 2.5 MW turbine has a 800 ton concrete base. At 900 kg CO2 per ton, that's 720 tons of CO2- the same as is released from burning 80,000 gallons of fuel oil. It'll take you 80 years to get a number that big from lubricants.

I was under the impression that the towers were made out of steel.
Same point. Coal used to make the coke to make the steel, instead of natural gas to make the electricity to smelt the aluminum. No free lunch, either way.

There is always a cost, and you have to ask which price is lower. You can't simply say "Look, dead birdie. Must be bad."

This is true whether the bird was killed by a windmill or an oil spill.

I might be out of my league, if there weren't so many orders of magnitude in my favor.

A 2.5 to 3 MW turbine will make about 6000 MWH in a year. It will also need about a thousand gallons of lubricant. (700 gallons every 9-16 months)

So, per unit of production, the fossil plant is using about 500X as much petroleum.

In other words, windmill lubricant is a relatively small factor. Not zero. But smaller than the environmental costs normally involved in making that much power.

You should have gone for concrete. That 2.5 MW turbine has a 800 ton concrete base. At 900 kg CO2 per ton, that's 720 tons of CO2- the same as is released from burning 80,000 gallons of fuel oil. It'll take you 80 years to get a number that big from lubricants.
Strawman, because I'm not making the case for an oil plant. My only point was that wind turbines use a lot of petroleum which you scoffed at until you did a Google search and realized they use at least 700 gallons of oil per turbine a year. Combine that with the fact that turbines are horribly inefficient and breakdown constantly you get an unreliable, and not that environmentally sound energy source.

As a kid in the 60’s-70’s I hated going north of Camp Pendleton because the smog made my eyes burn. And yeah I’m saying the indigenous peoples and some of the down to basics groups like the Amish are the only ones that truly deserve a heaven. The rest of us integrated into the post Industrial Revolution heathens deserve what we get. It’s not all our fault but it’s certainly not true progress.
In my Navy days, I often drove between San Diego and the Pt. Mugu NAS/Oxnard area. Driving through LA usually gave me a headache, but not anymore. I lived in California for almost a year (1970) before I realized you could see mountains from downtown LA when traveling through on a day after a good rainstorm had cleared the air.

There is often a solution --

There is often a solution --

Virtue signaling is not a solution.

As a kid in the 60’s-70’s I hated going north of Camp Pendleton because the smog made my eyes burn. And yeah I’m saying the indigenous peoples and some of the down to basics groups like the Amish are the only ones that truly deserve a heaven. The rest of us integrated into the post Industrial Revolution heathens deserve what we get. It’s not all our fault but it’s certainly not true progress.
You and your alter ego need massive amounts of intense psychotherapy.

For those interested in being educated about climate and energy, I highly recommend two substacks. The Honest Broker (Roger Pielke). He recently retired from the University of Colorado at Boulder and will continue writing and doing research on his own supported by his substack. His take on wind energy is below.

The other is Doomberg. Again, his posts are data-supported and relevant to the latest events. You can get a preview of his articles for free. The previews are informative even without the full post. To get the full posts requires a paid subscription.

Strawman, because I'm not making the case for an oil plant. My only point was that wind turbines use a lot of petroleum which you scoffed at until you did a Google search and realized they use at least 700 gallons of oil per turbine a year. Combine that with the fact that turbines are horribly inefficient and breakdown constantly you get an unreliable, and not that environmentally sound energy source.
Who said 700 gallons per year is significant?

In the context of "things that make megawatts", 700 gallons is rather small. It's like complaining about the number of rolls of toilet paper needed to run a nuclear power plant. Yes, there are issues to discuss, but that isn't one of them.

I just love it when Dad, espola and Husker Du show up on the same day. espola, I have to give you credit being able to play all 3 in 1. Can I get you three to commit to a debate on Sunday about any subject you want. Anytime and anyplace......

Who said 700 gallons per year is significant?

In the context of "things that make megawatts", 700 gallons is rather small. It's like complaining about the number of rolls of toilet paper needed to run a nuclear power plant. Yes, there are issues to discuss, but that isn't one of them.
Maybe a picture would help. Here is your clean energy.Publication2.jpg

Back