Climate and Weather

My advice to Husker Du and the rest of us is to go somewhere quiet and listen to this song. Mama Earth is taking back what was taken from her. Close your eyes and let God open them. You will begin to see what you need to see. The world is waking up and so is Husker Du. I'm proud of you for seeing the truth finally.

You know the dimwit twins' rule. If it wasn't on CNN, it didn't happen.

I have a plan for the climate "crisis". All the advocates of climate change should voluntarily sacrifice themselves - not by fire, of course. That will have a positive impact on carbon release going forward with the same directional effect on worldwide economic productivity that occurred with Twitter productivity when Musk fired 90% of the employees - production will go up. It's amazing how much more gets done when whining, sniveling do-nothings are removed from the equation. Sadly, overall climate effect will be negligible given that China's gonna China while the climate geniuses in the US brainstorm on how to stop cows from farting.

PS - Don't forget to wear your mask and get your 17th Covid booster.
PPS - Ukraine is going to win, just send more money!
CNN is reliable compared to most of the sources they post.

I'm not opposed to alternative energy sources as a supplement, but they just don't have the reliability or the efficiency to be primary sources of energy. Wind power is terribly inefficient, they only work in a narrow band of wind speeds and take a tremendous amount of petroleum to operate. The wind doesn't lubricate the gears. Alternative energy brings a whole other host of environmental impacts with it.

I will repeat it for the hundredth time, no conversation of green energy is serious without the inclusion of nuclear energy as the primary producer.

I'm not opposed to alternative energy sources as a supplement, but they just don't have the reliability or the efficiency to be primary sources of energy. Wind power is terribly inefficient, they only work in a narrow band of wind speeds and take a tremendous amount of petroleum to operate. The wind doesn't lubricate the gears. Alternative energy brings a whole other host of environmental impacts with it.

I will repeat it for the hundredth time, no conversation of green energy is serious without the inclusion of nuclear energy as the primary producer.
Everything all at once isn’t a possibility, never was. Things take time to develop. The “I thought renewables would solve all our problems all at once, instantly, without any issues? Since it hasn’t let’s not try that anymore and go back to the status quo!” is simply caveman thinking once again.

Nothing lasts forever. One day this planet and all our (human races) trivial bs will be nothing but cosmic dust. And if there is something else beyond human form it’s the indigenous peoples that coexisted with the planet that deserve to move on, to be resurrected, to be reincarnated. NOT the assholes that pumped chemicals into the environment then felt by going to some religious gathering or holding up a book they were “saved” from any accountability here or for eternity.
There certainly is a lot of hypocrisy in organized religion and not just limited to this issue.

On the bright side we've come a long way in the US cleaning up our air and water since the early 70's. I think that should continue to be our focus because trying to change the climate is a fools errand.

Everything all at once isn’t a possibility, never was. Things take time to develop. The “I thought renewables would solve all our problems all at once, instantly, without any issues? Since it hasn’t let’s not try that anymore and go back to the status quo!” is simply caveman thinking once again.
If you think nuclear physicists are "caveman" then so be it. Nuclear is fully developed and the most efficient with the least environmental impact. Yes, technology will develop other options, but wind power and solar plants aren't the solution. Though, rooftop solar is a great option. We have nearly an endless supply of roof tops, we don't need to destroy wide swaths of land for solar plants and transmission lines. There is actually a program starting in California to promote rooftop mini-plants but the biggest obstacle are the power companies that don't like competition. SDGE has the highest energy rates in the continental US, second only to Hawaii in the country.

If you think nuclear physicists are "caveman" then so be it. Nuclear is fully developed and the most efficient with the least environmental impact. Yes, technology will develop other options, but wind power and solar plants aren't the solution. Though, rooftop solar is a great option. We have nearly an endless supply of roof tops, we don't need to destroy wide swaths of land for solar plants and transmission lines. There is actually a program starting in California to promote rooftop mini-plants but the biggest obstacle are the power companies that don't like competition. SDGE has the highest energy rates in the continental US, second only to Hawaii in the country.
It's not the nuclear physicists that are the problem. It's the MBAs and lawyers running the for-profit utilities that use nuclear plants that are killing the industry. I have often expressed the opinion that the US Navy has the best record running nuclear power because the engineering was designed for safety and maintenance and the operators sleep in the reactor building every night.

"Tremendous amount of petroleum to operate" a windmill? Because of the need for grease to lubricate the gears?

Think about that for a second. Of the petroleum you use for your car, how much is in the form of transmission fluid and chassis lube? Even crankcase oil isn't all that much. I probably use about six quarts of lubricant (all kinds) for every thousand quarts of gasoline I use. (One oil change every 7500 miles, 30 mpg, etc.)

Lubricating gears is very important, but it doesn't account for a "tremendous" use of petroleum products. You'd be better off talking about the natural gas used to make the concrete for the base, or smelting process to make the aluminum for the support structure.

You sure about that? My buddy's wife is now blaming CNN for misinformation because her son is always sick and thinks he has long Covid. That place preached lies all day long and they hate Trump.

How much is "a tremendous amount"?

Do you think the stork delivers batteries for electric vehicles?
Nah. I think we use diesel fuel to mine the metals, then some kind of fossil fuel to provide the energy to smelt them. Then more fossil fuels to generate the electricity to charge the batteries after they are built.

But, for small vehicles, it's considerably less energy than I'd use to propel a gasoline vehicle with similar size and similar performance.

For large vehicles, like semi trucks, I'm still dubious.

"Tremendous amount of petroleum to operate" a windmill? Because of the need for grease to lubricate the gears?

Think about that for a second. Of the petroleum you use for your car, how much is in the form of transmission fluid and chassis lube? Even crankcase oil isn't all that much. I probably use about six quarts of lubricant (all kinds) for every thousand quarts of gasoline I use. (One oil change every 7500 miles, 30 mpg, etc.)

Lubricating gears is very important, but it doesn't account for a "tremendous" use of petroleum products. You'd be better off talking about the natural gas used to make the concrete for the base, or smelting process to make the aluminum for the support structure.
I was under the impression that the towers were made out of steel.

Yes. Unlike you, I have a job, hobbies and other reasons to get out of bed.

... and since you're well over 15,000 posts, I don't wanna miss anything great you've contributed.
Most of my greatest posts were lost in the repeated electro-mechanical failures that wiped out earlier generations of this forum.

Nah. I think we use diesel fuel to mine the metals, then some kind of fossil fuel to provide the energy to smelt them. Then more fossil fuels to generate the electricity to charge the batteries after they are built.

But, for small vehicles, it's considerably less energy than I'd use to propel a gasoline vehicle with similar size and similar performance.

For large vehicles, like semi trucks, I'm still dubious.
I just hope I don't need to charge my EV when Governor Gavin shuts off my power for 48 hours.

You're out of your league here, you have no clue. I was the liquidating Trustee for the worlds largest windpower company, Kenetech, prior to it filing BK. The stress on the gearboxes when you have blades as big as 30m is insane. They require a lot of lube and often fail because of the gear box. Next time you drive past a wind plant notice the dark staining on the nacelle and sometimes down the side of the tower. Thats not honey coming out, thats gear oil. Also notice how many windmills are non-operational. More windpower projects have failed then have been successful.

By caveman I was referring to those that strictly back fossil fuels and turn a blind eye to the future. Fossil fuel won’t last forever. Nuclear is tricky but doable, the kinks just need to be worked out.

There certainly is a lot of hypocrisy in organized religion and not just limited to this issue.

On the bright side we've come a long way in the US cleaning up our air and water since the early 70's. I think that should continue to be our focus because trying to change the climate is a fools errand.
As a kid in the 60’s-70’s I hated going north of Camp Pendleton because the smog made my eyes burn. And yeah I’m saying the indigenous peoples and some of the down to basics groups like the Amish are the only ones that truly deserve a heaven. The rest of us integrated into the post Industrial Revolution heathens deserve what we get. It’s not all our fault but it’s certainly not true progress.

Back