Big year coming up 2012 ecnl

Biggest adjustment for you parents entering ecnl for your first time is substitutions. You can’t re-enter after being subbed out for the half. So if someone gets hurt or is too tired to go on and gets subbed off the field and you’ve used all your subs that half you’re playing down a player.

Teams are playing to win and some coaches get very particular. They might not play your DD for a variety of reasons, they don’t like the weight of their passes, or if they don’t bend their knees on defense or whatever minute detail and use that to not play your kid. There’s back end deals being made all the time about how much play time or what position a kid is going to play too with some coaches and it won’t make sense sometimes as to why x player is on the field over y player. Playtime isn’t sometimes earned and coaches will still run with their aces even if they miss a month of practices. So it’s an adjustment so get ready. You always feel bad for the kid who flew to Az to not touch the field.

You’re at the age of acl tears. 14 girls in the 2010 age group by my count have torn their ACL’s since starting ECNL.

Your team might have a 20 win season but 1/2 your team including starters are going to be replaced by outside players coming in. Not to mention done girls are hitting maturity earlier than others which will play a role where your DD sits on the totem pole as there’s some girls who are little women out there playing against girls who are still little kids.

And as mentioned above, if you’re not in direct contact with coaches and practicing with these core groups who are going to make the foundation of the ecnl team then you’re already too late at this point of the game. Politics are huge and just remember, you can always pay your way out of an ECNL contract and get a release.

Take a deep breath and just be grateful for whatever opportunities come your way and pray for your DDs continued health and hopefully continued enjoyment of the ecnl rat race going forward.

Biggest adjustment for you parents entering ecnl for your first time is substitutions. You can’t re-enter after being subbed out for the half. So if someone gets hurt or is too tired to go on and gets subbed off the field and you’ve used all your subs that half you’re playing down a player.

Teams are playing to win and some coaches get very particular. They might not play your DD for a variety of reasons, they don’t like the weight of their passes, or if they don’t bend their knees on defense or whatever minute detail and use that to not play your kid. There’s back end deals being made all the time about how much play time or what position a kid is going to play too with some coaches and it won’t make sense sometimes as to why x player is on the field over y player. Playtime isn’t sometimes earned and coaches will still run with their aces even if they miss a month of practices. So it’s an adjustment so get ready. You always feel bad for the kid who flew to Az to not touch the field.

You’re at the age of acl tears. 14 girls in the 2010 age group by my count have torn their ACL’s since starting ECNL.

Your team might have a 20 win season but 1/2 your team including starters are going to be replaced by outside players coming in. Not to mention done girls are hitting maturity earlier than others which will play a role where your DD sits on the totem pole as there’s some girls who are little women out there playing against girls who are still little kids.

And as mentioned above, if you’re not in direct contact with coaches and practicing with these core groups who are going to make the foundation of the ecnl team then you’re already too late at this point of the game. Politics are huge and just remember, you can always pay your way out of an ECNL contract and get a release.

Take a deep breath and just be grateful for whatever opportunities come your way and pray for your DDs continued health and hopefully continued enjoyment of the ecnl rat race going forward.
What a lovely picture you paint lol. Maybe my dd should try tennis.

This is very true and a very honest response. ECNL is a rat race.

I played myself long long time ago, when all there was, was CSL lol, so I went through it myself a bit, club soccer wasn’t as big and it was more about having fun, now being a parent it for sure is stressful and you don’t wanna make the wrong move or make the wrong decision, honestly she has lots of offers and plenty choices to play at a top club/ecnl level, we been where we are for about 4yrs, so I think we are sticking it out here, it’ll be first year of ecnl so we will see how it goes, we been playing 11v11 all year so the team is pretty prepared for it 🤞🏽

There are two elite teams at this age group and that is Blues and Surf. Slammers HB is the tier underneath and there there is a big drop off after that with a handful of very good clubs.

For OC, Gateway Cities and SGV the best choice is Blues. For South Bay and Central LA the best choice is Beach. San Diego is Surf. San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita should travel out to Ventura County for Eagles (I don't recommend LAFC or Tudela)
I heard a rumor that Koge is taking quite a few Blues players for the 2024-25 season I don't know if this is true though

Now that teams are formed, who is making the playoffs next season?
My top 5 here in socal no particular order….(sd surf,blues, slammers koge, Beach, Rebels) all those teams added or lost players, it’s gonna be a fun season and interesting how it’ll turn out

Best breakdown of the ECNL experience!

We played boys summer league prior to start of our U13 ECNL season...really good experience. Won't have many opportunities to play against boys after ECNL starts.

What is everyone looking for, when making a decision where to go for this upcoming 2012 ecnl year? I have a decent 2012 DD and was wondering what’s everyone opinion on where to go? Slammers, blues, beach, legends? What’s everyone’s opinion?
So, where did you guys end up?

There’s back end deals being made all the time about how much play time or what position a kid is going to play too with some coaches and it won’t make sense sometimes as to why x player is on the field over y player. Playtime isn’t sometimes earned and coaches will still run with their aces even if they miss a month of practices. So it’s an adjustment so get ready. You always feel bad for the kid who flew to Az to not touch the field.

Great truths Team Dad Jokes. My buddies dd first ever showcase was to North Carolina and she barely saw minutes. D1 college coach's swarming the fields and my buddy did not get the deals like other parents got. He said he knows for sure one kid got to start 2 games and played at least a half each game or more and he swears it was the dad paying extra for privates and maybe a back-room deal. He said his kid was a little better player but did not participate in the Pay For Play schemes. She flew across the country hoping to showcase her talents and sat on da bench. What she got was no play time game 1, mop up minute or two Game 2 and one start game 3 and was subbed before half to never return. Total play minutes was about 37 minutes out of 240. Missed three days of school, spent thousands on the trip and flew back depressed. Dad was so pissed off. It was a rude awakening because his kid always played at least a half, if not more. Great kid but parents only had money for sign ups.

Last edited:
Great truths Team Dad Jokes. My buddies dd first ever showcase was to North Carolina and she barely saw minutes. D1 college coach's swarming the fields and my buddy did not get the deals like other parents got. He said he knows for sure one kid got to start 2 games and played at least a half each game or more and he swears it was the dad paying extra for privates and maybe a back-room deal. He said his kid was a little better player but did not participate in the Pay For Play schemes. She flew across the country hoping to showcase her talents and sat on da bench. What she got was no play time game 1, mop up minute or two Game 2 and one start game 3 and was subbed before half to never return. Total play minutes was about 37 minutes out of 240. Missed three days of school, spent thousands on the trip and flew back depressed. Dad was so pissed off. It was a rude awakening because his kid always played at least a half, if not more. Great kid but parents only had money for sign ups.
If true, discusting description of what it takes to get ahead.

Fortunately there's multiple showcases kids can play in so eventually all players will get highlighted.

Also, wouldn't the parents, club doc/coach, and college coach all loosely be working together to either highlight or review players? Meaning wouldn't coaches be made aware by players parents club that xyz recruiter will be at a game to look at abc player? As much as I want to believe cash = minutes clubs also want to show commitments on social media because it's a recruitment tool.

To me a player that has minimal minutes when a big time recruiter is there to watch them play doesn't make sense. If it really happened either communication isn't happening, coaches don't understand the concept of a showcase, or a coach is literally corrupt and doesn't care. But corrupt coaches would get checked by club leadership who want to show commitments. If a parent told a doc that xyz recruiter was at ABC game to watch their kid and the coach didn't play them there would be discussions to be had. (Unless the docs hand was out as well looking for $$$)

If true, discusting description of what it takes to get ahead.

Fortunately there's multiple showcases kids can play in so eventually all players will get highlighted.

Also, wouldn't the parents, club doc/coach, and college coach all loosely be working together to either highlight or review players? Meaning wouldn't coaches be made aware by players parents club that xyz recruiter will be at a game to look at abc player? As much as I want to believe cash = minutes clubs also want to show commitments on social media because it's a recruitment tool.

To me a player that has minimal minutes when a big time recruiter is there to watch them play doesn't make sense. If it really happened either communication isn't happening, coaches don't understand the concept of a showcase, or a coach is literally corrupt and doesn't care. But corrupt coaches would get checked by club leadership who want to show commitments. If a parent told a doc that xyz recruiter was at ABC game to watch their kid and the coach didn't play them there would be discussions to be had. (Unless the docs hand was out as well looking for $$$)
Well, it all starts at the top of the pyramid. It's true, not "if." The Doc, The Club and the Coach are at the top and they play, "Pay For Play." What does "pay for play" actually mean? Yes, it means you pay so your dd plays. If dad pays more, then his kid plays more. Come on man, this is how our country plays games. At the very bottom are the girls. The one's caught in the middle are the parents. My buddy's kid on one of the top teams ever assembled got a full-time job for bringing his kid from far away. He was told by coach, "if you make the drive, I make sure your kid starts every game. You go talk to the Boss and he will provide you with a job." This is not made-up story time from crush either. Another dd told coach that so and so coach was coming to watch her play on Saturday. Guess what coach did? Lots of coaches are full of self and ego.

Back