What happened to THE Luis Andres thread?

You are still doing it: "my expectations", not hers. Let me ask you this: why is it so important for you to have her become an elite player? And yes...I know she has potential...in the video you shared she's a great soccer player for her age (again, though, tempered with she's 8). You also said she was really great in math...why don't you have her in Kumon or Chinese Learning Center 5 days a week...or in cycling for that matter....why football?

Also how's the AYSO team going...you start practice?

Great question. I guess it has to do with the fact that soccer has been my favorite team sport since I was a kid. And its part of my culture. Also she is my only child so I have all the time in the world to devote to her in a sport and my wife and I decided it would be soccer even though she is a runner. We also play basketball recreationally but not serious in trying to make her an elite basketball player because she will never have the height to compete at an elite level where soccer that is not a requirement.

The reason why it’s important for me to have her become an elite player is because I see the potential for greatness within her natural talents. And I’m setting her up technically to be at a level that when it comes time for her to do things on her own, she will have the proper skills set to do so and shine. At the end of the day it will be up to her to get to the next level not me. All I can do now is set her up in the right direction with the proper skills set.

As far as AYSO. Things are going good. She’s sort of like my assistant coach. My goal for AYSO is to teach her some leadership skills.

At the end of the day it will be up to her to get to the next level not me. .

But that's the kicker, isn't it? You'd want for her not only have the skills to get to the next level, but also the motivation. If you overtrain her, and she is suffering injuries (which become much more frequent as girl's near puberty), she might not want to (because she doesn't feel good). If you give her soccer all the time, even if she loves it, she might grow sick of it if she has to do it every day (hey I love pizza but I once went a week during the bar exam just eating pizza and I can tell you I hated pizza afterwards for a good year and still can't look at a Hawaiian pizza). If you push her, she may rebel against it just to spite you when she hits the rebellious years, because YOU want it and that's how she can hurt you.

We all want our children to hit their potential. But ultimately things are their choice. You not only want to foster her skills, but also her love of the game, and that means being careful not to give her too much of it. You should also let her explore other options because just since you want her to do soccer doesn't mean she'll want to.

And if you really want to coach her and don't trust her coaches (with the disclaimer that for most people I don't think coaching their own kid is the best idea, YMMV), you might want to consider getting yourself a United coach slot and coaching herself (even though she'll be at a lower level team possibly, at least you won't be undermining what the coach is trying to teach). BTW, what is your playing and coaching background?

But that's the kicker, isn't it? You'd want for her not only have the skills to get to the next level, but also the motivation. If you overtrain her, and she is suffering injuries (which become much more frequent as girl's near puberty), she might not want to (because she doesn't feel good). If you give her soccer all the time, even if she loves it, she might grow sick of it if she has to do it every day (hey I love pizza but I once went a week during the bar exam just eating pizza and I can tell you I hated pizza afterwards for a good year and still can't look at a Hawaiian pizza). If you push her, she may rebel against it just to spite you when she hits the rebellious years, because YOU want it and that's how she can hurt you.

We all want our children to hit their potential. But ultimately things are their choice. You not only want to foster her skills, but also her love of the game, and that means being careful not to give her too much of it. You should also let her explore other options because just since you want her to do soccer doesn't mean she'll want to.

And if you really want to coach her and don't trust her coaches (with the disclaimer that for most people I don't think coaching their own kid is the best idea, YMMV), you might want to consider getting yourself a United coach slot and coaching herself (even though she'll be at a lower level team possibly, at least you won't be undermining what the coach is trying to teach). BTW, what is your playing and coaching background?

No I totally understand you when it comes to the possibility of burning her out. I always ask her how she feels before and she’s the one that picks up the ball at home to challenge me to 1v1 games. So as long as she’s the one initiating to play soccer, I’m all for it. It’s not like we just do soccer all the time either. She has a life, she has play dates with her friends. She gets to play her favorite game Roblox with her friends and use her iPad too. In the beginning she was doing gymnastics and swimming but she decided to drop them to focus more on soccer. Her choice not mine.

Also I’m not trying to coach her and create a club team around her either. She has a private coach who is an ex pro player who trains her weekly. The AYSO thing for me is just fun and like I mention perfect for her to learn some leadership skills and show other little girls starting out how to play. To be honest I’ve played recreational soccer all my youth. Pickup games, park games, neighborhood games, never club. I’ve watched a lot of soccer and I’m knowledgeable as far as the sport. I have siblings and my Father worked a lot so he never had the time to train me like I’m doing with my daughter. I guess you can say I wish he had done the things with me that I’m now doing with my daughter.

Here is a short clip of trainings and highlights when she was 7-8 years old playing u9. No pressure training, we just worked on building fundamentals and having fun in the process. Now if doing things like this outside of team practice goes against US soccer guidelines then I really don’t know what to say about US soccer. Maybe they have it all wrong

Last edited:
That's Juke!!!:) My son used to go there before he started private training as a keeper. That and his coach his 2nd year were why he improved as a field player. They've probably met in the camps.

Nothing wrong with private training. The questions are whether the kid is being pressured, is getting some downtime, is enjoying it, and frequency.

If you want her to turn into a social media sensation, then go build and promote her own youtube channel. If not, why would you continue to share so much details of your daughter with strangers from a public forum? There are a lot of crazy people out there.

I think you're pretty naive when it comes to internet chat. When someone brags about their elite 8 year old in soccer or academics, most of us have either or both of these reactions: 1) You're full of it, or 2) Who cares? Just google "8 year old" and "next Messi", and you get hundreds of videos on youtube.

No one is truly interested in your elite athlete. Most are just following because we can't take our eyes off a train wreck.

If you want her to turn into a social media sensation, then go build and promote her own youtube channel. If not, why would you continue to share so much details of your daughter with strangers from a public forum? There are a lot of crazy people out there.

I think you're pretty naive when it comes to internet chat. When someone brags about their elite 8 year old in soccer or academics, most of us have either or both of these reactions: 1) You're full of it, or 2) Who cares? Just google "8 year old" and "next Messi", and you get hundreds of videos on youtube.

No one is truly interested in your elite athlete. Most are just following because we can't take our eyes off a train wreck.

No you’re prob right. I am a bit naive and new to these chats and that’s why I have the edit button. I was just trying to prove my point. I’ll pull it off if that’s better.

Actually, you know what’d be neat to see? If those parents railing on Luis posted videos of their kids kicking butt at U8 and how they’re playing today.... just to see how the game changes. I know you all have them and have been dying to break out those highlight videos...

Like I want to see what MAP’s kid looked like on the pitch as a U8, probably pretty fun to watch...

Actually, you know what’d be neat to see? If those parents railing on Luis posted videos of their kids kicking butt at U8 and how they’re playing today.... just to see how the game changes. I know you all have them and have been dying to break out those highlight videos...

Like I want to see what MAP’s kid looked like on the pitch as a U8, probably pretty fun to watch...

Highlight of my child at U8:
Watches 3 players surrounding a soccer ball for a slow 2 seconds
Runs at the ball and knocks it out of traffic
Makes a 320 degrees turn towards goal
Looks goalie straight in the eye
Goalie doesn't move an inch from the middle of the goal
My child kicks the ball straight to the goalie at a rate of 3 mph
Goalie gets both hands on the ball...but somehow magically lets it roll in between legs and into goal.
We cheer loudly
From that day on, we realize our child has limitless potential on the soccer field

Sorry no video footage but my narrative is pretty close to video footage.

Yes that would actually be pretty cool to
See.

Yes that would actually be pretty cool to
See.
I am willing to share. This is 4 year old footage from THE GOATS. It is a team assembled with parents who are regular posters on the forum. The girls are all club players from all over SoCal. There is zero coaching. The girls just play. As you can see when watching the play of the girls was controlled, they passed well, connected to one another, and moved well off the ball. You can also see many of the teams were much bigger than the girls on GOATS in most cases. Size did not influence the outcome. All with the exception of one of these girls is now going to play DA/ECNL.

I am willing to share. This is 4 year old footage from THE GOATS. It is a team assembled with parents who are regular posters on the forum. The girls are all club players from all over SoCal. There is zero coaching. The girls just play. As you can see when watching the play of the girls was controlled, they passed well, connected to one another, and moved well off the ball. You can also see many of the teams were much bigger than the girls on GOATS in most cases. Size did not influence the outcome. All with the exception of one of these girls is now going to play DA/ECNL.
Which 1?

Back