What happened to THE Luis Andres thread?

Started the bench. Put players in different positions that they normally were not used to playing. Maybe he was trying to set an example that he does not care to win but to develop his players

My DD is starting her first year of ECNL (2007). Played in a relatively weak preseason tournament this past weekend. They would have killed all the 2007 teams, so they played up in the 2006 division. Coach played my kid, and all of her teammates, in 2-3 different positions. Won first game 5-0. Both second and third games up 1-0 at half. Eventually lost both 1-2. No one cares. Why? Because it is an August pre-season tournament and the coach is not winning at all cost. Rather, he is trying to develop the girls and give them looks at different spots on the field.

We don’t need another $3 plastic trophy. We need to know if the outside backs can also play the holding mid spot, we need to know if the right forward can play center forward, etc. My kid got valuable minutes in a position she never plays. But going forward she will better understand the role of the girl who plays that spot and hopefully it will help them link up play when the actual meaningful games start.

Started the bench. Put players in different positions that they normally were not used to playing. Maybe he was trying to set an example that he does not care to win but to develop his players

Not that unusual at that age. It should not be so focused on winning at that age. Develop and encourage them and let them enjoy the game. Every child on the team at that age deserves a chance to develop, grow and yes - start!

As your dd gets older good coaches won’t take you and your dd and she will be relegated to C/D level - the future equivalent of flight 3 at your age group. Think about it......

I remember a particular father at U9 who boisterously asked the coach during a parent meeting before a tournament “are we going to play to win or develop”! The mother was no better, she carved out what she considered to be the “core team” for special events. Their dd was the top scorer at U9 and highly stressed.

4-5-6-7-8-9 years later ...... nowhere to be found, never DA, never ECNL, never DPL, and rumored at some point to be playing c level, nobody really cares. We know several of the players that mother excluded from her “core team” are now playing either DA, ECNL or DPL at 03 or 02/01.

Not that unusual at that age. It should not be so focused on winning at that age. Develop and encourage them and let them enjoy the game. Every child on the team at that age deserves a chance to develop, grow and yes - start!

As your dd gets older good coaches won’t take you and your dd and she will be relegated to C/D level - the future equivalent of flight 3 at your age group. Think about it......

I remember a particular father at U9 who boisterously asked the coach during a parent meeting before a tournament “are we going to play to win or develop”! The mother was no better, she carved out what she considered to be the “core team” for special events. Their dd was the top scorer at U9 and highly stressed.

4-5-6-7-8-9 years later ...... nowhere to be found, never DA, never ECNL, never DPL, and rumored at some point to be playing c level, nobody really cares. We know several of the players that mother excluded from her “core team” are now playing either DA, ECNL or DPL at 03 or 02/01.
I saw and watched very similar scenario for years) in regards to a team that was built to win by the coach. If I am correct all but two of those players are playing at a high level (DA and ECNL). And one is playing on US Youth NT at U15. However, her development did not come from the coach.

Who knows you maybe right. As far as my DD this last game has got to be her worst game ever. She exited the field crying as it was her fault for giving up the goal by making a bad pass out the back. But I’m actually happy it happened. It’s an experience that she will grow from.

i wonder how the car ride home was and how many times he showed her the video of the bad pass....

i wonder how the car ride home was and how many times he showed her the video of the bad pass....

It went fine. I have not showed her any videos either. Just let her be for now. When the time is right we’ll go over film and discuss what her and her teammates can improve on. For now I have to decide with my wife what’s best for her development for the coming months.

It went fine. I have not showed her any videos either. Just let her be for now. When the time is right we’ll go over film and discuss what her and her teammates can improve on. For now I have to decide with my wife what’s best for her development for the coming months.
I thought Ole 2010 was the best team in So Cal? Two weeks later everything has changed and you’re contemplating her future? LOL

@Luis Andres

Reviewing game film of what a child screwed up on at 8 years old is abuse. She already knows she made a mistake and the cryings your fault because you've put so much pressure on her to win.

Why not just tell your DD you love her because she tried her best and call it a day?

Focus on how you can plan a swim or pizza party with the team instead of being a total jack hole. Take a deep breath and leave the coaching to the club since your paying for it! Just let the loss go.....

Over the weekend a very nice gentleman wrote me a very long message about his journey so far with his kids. This was probably the best eye opening story for me. He mentioned how he was caught up with winning tournaments as well too in the beginning but as his kids got older he mentioned that he realized that it’s more about doing what’s best for them to continue to progress with their development. Wether to have them play DA or play up a year or two or have his DD play with a boys team. it all depends on the specific team, coach and program and current situation. He mentioned all the little extras that he has done with them to get them to be top players within their age groups. Which I’m all for. So yes I have had a change of heart and I agree now with all of you that it’s not about winning tournaments at this young age level. It’s about doing what’s best for their development.

So we decided to stay with the current team because that is the best option as of now. Could I take my DD to the Eagles or Blues so we can make their teams stronger just so I can say look we won all these tournaments? Sure yes. But will she develop in the way that I want her as a soccer player given their style of soccer they teach is not what I’m looking for my DD? Probably not. I’m a big fan of possession soccer. And the current club is all about that style of soccer that I like for my DD to learn to play.

Take for example, my team. The Chilean national team. A team that may not have had all the super stars like the rest of the top national teams in the world but created a beautiful style of soccer that so many love to watch with a core of players who weren’t necessarily the best individual players around but they learned how to play as a team and they showed that they can play with the best teams in the world and compete with anyone. That’s more of what I like about the current club. The fact that we don’t have the biggest and most athletic girls on the team but we are able to compete with the top teams in the age group. That’s where I like my daughter to stay for now.

Last edited:
Yea I’ve been looking at all the options and that’s what I’ve decided to do.
The best thing to do is move to the Blues next season, then Albion after that, then follow that season up with SD Surf. Once you have established your daughter and made a great name for yourself with all those clubs the USWNT will surely be knocking on your door.

The best thing to do is move to the Blues next season, then Albion after that, then follow that season up with SD Surf. Once you have established your daughter and made a great name for yourself with all those clubs the USWNT will surely be knocking on your door.

May I ask why you think this specific route mentioned is best? Can you elaborate as to why Blues to Albion to SD Surf?

May I ask why you think this specific route mentioned is best? Can you elaborate as to why Blues to Albion to SD Surf?
It’s sarcasm.

Whoever wrote you the long message was kind enough to share what they’ve learned with your (and DD’s) best interest in mind. You’re right to take that good advice. Another thing I would suggest is working future things out in private with a few trusted, knowledgeable people instead of in public. Unfortunately not everyone out there will want the best for you.

No affiliation to the team. I would not say the coach was good. Most of that team did not develop and have fallen off the soccer map.

Wait a minute how can you make such a claim to say that the team has not developed? Have you seen them play top teams lately? Have you seen how they control games and make the best teams resort to playing defense most of the game?

Wait a minute how can you make such a claim to say that the team has not developed? Have you seen them play top teams lately? Have you seen how they control games and make the best teams resort to playing defense most of the game?
I’m talking about a team that longer exists. The coach recruited athletes. He did nothing to perpetuate their growth as players. The two that are still playing at a high level did not do so because of the coach. I know this because my daughter played against this team for years.

Ok now I need a flow chart to follow this guy. First he gets on here bashing a little girl because he does not feel she is good enough to play with his dd, making it very obvious what team his dd is on. Then after people tell him he’s an ass for slamming a 8 year old on a public forum he tells us how amazing his dd is, that she is a 8 year old unicorn and that he is a martyr because he is the only one willing to help this little girl get better. He claims to have learned and deletes his thread were it was very apparent that he is an asshat.

Then he tells us that everyone on the team hates him (the first believable thing he has said) and that he is banned from the team’s group chat. Then after they don’t make the finals, he cries that the coach intentionally lost the game by starting the bench, that he is done with the team and the forum and tells Dom to delete all his posts. And now he is back after 12 hours and is a changed man? Give me an f’n break.

Either he is bipolar, an addict, drama queen or just really stupid with all these flip flops. My bet is on some of all four.

Like I said, have your wife take your dd to all practices and games or find an individual activity that you can control. This last backpedaling is probably due to you realizing that the roster freeze started Aug 1 and thus your dd is stuck with this team and you need to kiss ass. You have not learned a thing here and it is not fair to the other families on the team to have to deal with your bull.

Ok, I think it's time to ease off a bit on Luis Andres. Judging from his post from the 2011's thread it sounds like he has listened and taken to heart the good advice offered on the forum:

I’ve left this thread because I have had a change of heart. Maybe in the really young ages it’s not about winning and trying to collect trophies. It’s about best developing your DD to get her ready to compete when she is older. Yes I admit it was about winning for me prior but haven written that post and seeing what all the veterans here have to say about winning at the young age level has made me rethink that it’s not really that important. The better question is your DD in the right team that will get her ready to compete after she turns 13 years old.

Kudos to Luis Andres for recognizing the fault in his original approach and for making making a pretty big pivot in the right direction.

Ok, I think it's time to ease off a bit on Luis Andres. Judging from his post from the 2011's thread it sounds like he has listened and taken to heart the good advice offered on the forum:

Kudos to Luis Andres for recognizing the fault in his original approach and for making making a pretty big pivot in the right direction.
In the last 3 weeks he’s trashed every team in there while even pissing off parents at his own club with the stuff he was saying. He started this morning trashing his own coach claiming he intentionally lost a tournament this weekend. Don’t give him so much credit lol

Back