USYS National Championship Livestream

Just curious... A question for those parents who have had their dd's commit early, let's say, prior to junior year,if there were any regrets either way, or if everything worked out according to plan. We are starting to go through the very beginning process, but we hesitate to let her verbally commit too early. Is it becoming more commonplace to see so many 8,9,early 10th gr. commits, or has it always been this way? =)
There is a pecking order, rule of thumb is the best players (YNT) usually commit as freshmen and sophomores to Power 5 and top mid-major programs. Rest of the players and mid-major programs fall in line afterwards.

Unless your DD is a YNT player, the later you commit. The less athletic money is available.

Just curious... A question for those parents who have had their dd's commit early, let's say, prior to junior year,if there were any regrets either way, or if everything worked out according to plan. We are starting to go through the very beginning process, but we hesitate to let her verbally commit too early. Is it becoming more commonplace to see so many 8,9,early 10th gr. commits, or has it always been this way? =)
It does seem more common place as you say. Good thought that you are sensitive to buyers remorse post verbal. That's a tough one and there are no guarantees. More often than not it works out but it's good you are digging for info. Best of luck to you and your player in this exciting journey!

BTW...no regrets on our end....so far :)

There is a pecking order, rule of thumb is the best players (YNT) usually commit as freshmen and sophomores to Power 5 and top mid-major programs. Rest of the players and mid-major programs fall in line afterwards.

Unless your DD is a YNT player, the later you commit. The less athletic money is available.

What about those who break into the YNT pool at a later age, like U16 or even U17 and manage to keep getting invited? Has that happened before?

In my player's situation she is beginning her sophomore year at the school that she committed to at the beginning of her sophomore year of high school. She has no regrets and things are going even better than we planned. As long as you do your due diligence and pick the school not the soccer, then your player will be happy. Just don't jump at the first offer (unless it happens to be her dream school then jump away if the $$$ is right). Good luck to you and your player.

What about those who break into the YNT pool at a later age, like U16 or even U17 and manage to keep getting invited? Has that happened before?

Yes. My player didn't break into the YNT pool until well after she had committed to her school and she continues to get invites (she has had to decline her last 2 due to injury). The top schools tend to identify players of that caliber often before the YNT coaches do.

That's why we are asking you all as you have been through it. Our 04 are either 7 or 8 graders many have TDS ACCOUNTS, Instagram showcasing them, emails , etc .
I think we all understand YNT players would go first and those of us who had girls in ODP or USTC are in the radar but it's a whole new world that's why we asked you!
Did you start emails in 8th grade? Did you do videos?

I personally didn't start emails until freshman year, but she started a list of colleges in 7th grade and kept updating it throughout the process. For '04's, like @MakeAPlay and @NoGoal would probably agree, if I were to do videos at all, I would do videos about her training/play time around the field. Say a forward, I would suggest not showing your DD scoring tons and tons of goals, because over the years, if she becomes a prolific goal scorer, the colleges will know (DA/ECNL/Premier, whatever). However, showing that she's learned and practiced and played defence or as a winger or a mid, etc, will show something that they may not see in a game. Or vice versa, her defensive skills show as a forward who can take a ball from another defender and create a goal scoring opportunity or her striker skills as a left back who pushes up the field and joins the attack is definitely something that will catch a coaches' eyes.

(@devupa2.0 and @Striker17 ) I apologize if I came off condescending. It was not intentional, but if anything, the tone was not directed toward you, but toward whoever is giving you information like that (the elite part not the rest) at the wrong time and warping a parent's perspective of their DD's future opportunities . (Your DD sounds like she is on a very promising track)

While the current 02-03 players are caught in this cycle, based on recent conversation with a D1 coach relatively in the know, expect within the next 18-24 months at least a vote, and possible implementation, of NCAA recruiting rules for soccer (boys and girls) similar to what lacrosse recently passed. No contact before Sep. 1st of junior year, no scholarship offers or verbal commits prior to that time.

I may be wrong but I think Princeton, Yale and Brown recently "added" a few sophomores to their verbal list of commitments.

They did. They also start looking pretty early but the grades and tests have to be there. It's still competitive.

Heard the same the D1 transfer rate is atrocious apparently. Look at this year alone- why would CF committ to Cal as a sophomore then change to SDSU? Sure there are many reasons but who knows!
My nephew is FC Dallas boys DA- their attitude is totally different. He says offers are important early because then other schools say wait what is that player all about? He got offers upon offers because of previous offers if that makes any sense to anyone.
What is horrifying to me is that some of these Doc actually would have a say in whether my kid would go to a school or not. Hell no! Just think about some of these clowns deciding whether or not your daughter gets in somewhere. Reason 3178367 why you pick the coach not club or team. I would absolutely not trust some of the coaches at my DD age group to be ethical with this.
We still play other sports and that is a deal breaker for me. So far we have had many coaches tell us don't stop doing that and it shows that she isn't soccer specific. I found that to be interesting. She was back east for an ID camp in June, not camp but an ID situation due to a regional placement win with another sport, and they were talking to her about "why she likes the other sport, could she see herself always playing..." of course she had to say that "she liked soccer more and was hoping to play college soccer".
I guess we have more work to do lol

Give my congrats to the 99 Legends girls Cali. Looks like you have a good chance of an early day on Saturday, but at least the heat should not be so bad.

In actual USYS National Championship news, Legends 99 and TSC Showcase are at the top of their 18UG groups after two games, and have identical GF, GA and GD. My gut feeling was these are the two strongest teams and they will probably meet in the final on Sunday. I've had nice conversations with parents from both teams. Good luck to all the players!

While the current 02-03 players are caught in this cycle, based on recent conversation with a D1 coach relatively in the know, expect within the next 18-24 months at least a vote, and possible implementation, of NCAA recruiting rules for soccer (boys and girls) similar to what lacrosse recently passed. No contact before Sep. 1st of junior year, no scholarship offers or verbal commits prior to that time.

AMEN! As it should be!
I am hopeful but won't bank on it.

My DD told me it was just passed for Gymnastics too. The story she heard from the gymnast at her school was college coaches were now making verbal offers to 7th and 8th graders, before the new recruiting rule is implemented. #lol

My DD told me it was just passed for Gymnastics too. The story she heard from the gymnast at her school was college coaches were now making verbal offers to 7th and 8th graders, before the new recruiting rule is implemented. #lol

Well, I think I can understand the reasoning, sadly, gymnasts peak and compete at an earlier age. So, even though I don't agree with it, it makes more sense than recruiting for soccer at 7th and 8th, because the time frame is smaller. But that still doesn't take away all the things that could go wrong between then and college.

That is the truth. The week before lacrosse changed many offers were made for that very reason

If this happened on the soccer side it could lead to the extinction of Unicorns.

Give my congrats to the 99 Legends girls Cali. Looks like you have a good chance of an early day on Saturday, but at least the heat should not be so bad.
Thanks O...all games on Saturday are early. We drew the late start times for our Tues and Thurs matches, so an early morning (7am) start time on Sat will be appreciated. Hotter temp today, but my player said it felt cooler than yesterday with breeze and lower humidity. I had to work all day in Fort Worth...it felt pretty damn hot to me. Still wish you guys were out here to enjoy this weather too.

Last edited:
If this happened on the soccer side it could lead to the extinction of Unicorns.

I want to believe it but it basically puts it back a year. So this rule was instituted recently for lax. There was a mad rush to committ which did in fact happen and now we already have buyers remorse with teammates.
I was told that instead of the usual 7-8 grade scouting now we should go to camps, tours, etc and by Frosh year the teams know who they want to "look at", by Soph year they have a "working list" and are actively speaking to lax coaches (we have winter camps too) and then Junior year Sept 1 it will be a frenzy.
The lacrosse position statement is incredibly passionate and they lobbied for this with the NCAA. They adamantly disagree with early commits and early specialization as a general coaching group. They are very very progressive in my opinion

Absolutely horrified that the team that lost 8-0 to Surf won yesterday 2-0. Again absolutely horrified at the lack of meaningful competition at the National level. I hope Surf wins the championship 10-0 no kidding! Roll on!

Back