USYS National Championship Livestream

Being a Beach homer not sure what you mean. Take a look at this I think this sums it up pretty good - not ECNL and not DA yet. http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.or...onships/Team/44883/BeachFC98AcademyCA-SNL-B1/

We do every year and its called ODP. I will agree that ODP has lost its luster now but we have had ECNL and non ECNL girls on our teams for the last 5 years and no one can touch us. So if Colorado or Texas or New Jersey or Michigan really want to put their best 18 up against our CalSouth 18 it is no contest. Michigan Hawks draw everyone from a 2-3 hr radius. The two Colorados draw from the whole state. NJ PDA draws from 2 hour radius. We have 8-10 teams drawing from a 2 hr radius in socal. It is no contest.

I am talking about your younger Beach gals. That 04 team is a force. So how does recruiting work ? If you aren't on a national stage but to be frank clearly better than some random team from NJ then what?
Or is it u14 so basically it's not relevant until 16?

What pulgita was saying was that if you took our best 18 it would beat any other regions best 18 and I have to agree with him. His daughter and mine won two ODP national championships together and the team their last year (missing about 6-7 girls from the championship team the year before that chose not to compete) could beat most D1 college teams and that is not an exaggeration in the least. They had maybe one close game in 2 years. The best 18 from her age group pretty much where all invites to at least one YNT camp and many are still pool players. No other region has that kind of depth and that includes Chicagoland and North Texas.

So would you say that most SOCAL players who want to play college soccer can in fact do so?
I am not seeing anyone so far that matches a bench player on some of these CRL squads.

So would you say that most SOCAL players who want to play college soccer can in fact do so?
I am not seeing anyone so far that matches a bench player on some of these CRL squads.

I have said repeatedly and I will say it again. For our SoCal girls if a player wants to play in college there is a school for them. They just have to play good soccer, get good grades, work their tails off and get help and support from their family and coaches to push them through the finish line. The problem is there are lot's of moving parts, lots of pitchmen like @CaliKlines and lots of snake oil salesmen out there and that can lead a family astray.

Good luck to you and your player.

What pulgita was saying was that if you took our best 18 it would beat any other regions best 18 and I have to agree with him. His daughter and mine won two ODP national championships together and the team their last year (missing about 6-7 girls from the championship team the year before that chose not to compete) could beat most D1 college teams and that is not an exaggeration in the least. They had maybe one close game in 2 years. The best 18 from her age group pretty much where all invites to at least one YNT camp and many are still pool players. No other region has that kind of depth and that includes Chicagoland and North Texas.
I agree with Pulquita, I was replying to Striker but others replied before me and I didn't quote Striker.

On a side note, I know that Penn Strikers is fully funded by sponsors lined up by the coaching staff (or at least they were two years ago). The downside was that players could be cut from the team at any practice if someone better showed up.

Being a Beach homer not sure what you mean. Take a look at this I think this sums it up pretty good - not ECNL and not DA yet. http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.or...onships/Team/44883/BeachFC98AcademyCA-SNL-B1/

We do every year and its called ODP. I will agree that ODP has lost its luster now but we have had ECNL and non ECNL girls on our teams for the last 5 years and no one can touch us. So if Colorado or Texas or New Jersey or Michigan really want to put their best 18 up against our CalSouth 18 it is no contest. Michigan Hawks draw everyone from a 2-3 hr radius. The two Colorados draw from the whole state. NJ PDA draws from 2 hour radius. We have 8-10 teams drawing from a 2 hr radius in socal. It is no contest.
And it's why out of state universities "LOVE" Cal South players!

And it's why out of state universities "LOVE" Cal South players!

If you look at the 2019's and 2020's on UCLA's recruiting list most of them were YNT players, however, ALL of them including the out of state players were standout ODP players at either Regionals or Nationals.

Not that this impacts me but out of academic curiosity @pulguita how does this tie into recruiting? Obviously I hope all our Cal South girls can reach their dreams. How though can a firecracker team from Beach or LAGSD be noticed. No offense but straight talk the lowest CRL TEAM at 04 was better than that NJ team today. No question. So how does that start to occur?
The NJ team seemed to give up after they went down 3-0. But they were outclassed. I was impressed with the quick decision making by the surf team. Every player on the team was top quality.

This was not competition to them. There was ZERO PRESSURE. As stated I have seen RSC, BEACH, Arsenal obviously play them much better. It was sad. Maybe I am used to football where people review tape.
Clearly no tape was reviewed. Zero.
Again for the record I say National Champs all the way!

The NJ team seemed to give up after they went down 3-0. But they were outclassed. I was impressed with the quick decision making by the surf team. Every player on the team was top quality.

It would have been nice to see them play against an opponent of a similar level. Those are the great games to watch. Win or lose everyone comes off the pitch a winner.

This was not competition to them. There was ZERO PRESSURE. As stated I have seen RSC, BEACH, Arsenal obviously play them much better. It was sad. Maybe I am used to football where people review tape.
Clearly no tape was reviewed. Zero.
Again for the record I say National Champs all the way!

I agree. The rest of the country starts catching up at about U15/16.

Not that this impacts me but out of academic curiosity @pulguita how does this tie into recruiting? Obviously I hope all our Cal South girls can reach their dreams. How though can a firecracker team from Beach or LAGSD be noticed. No offense but straight talk the lowest CRL TEAM at 04 was better than that NJ team today. No question. So how does that start to occur?
That is a perfect example of the political BS. Then that CRL team should have been there rather than the NJ team. For ODP example, if some kids from BFE don't get selected for a camp be it ID2, or Regional etc they will quit sending their State teams to Regionals even though they get their ass kicked every year. So we gotta give them some love right? Really? They should get an invite to a camp and a better SoCal kid should not cause that would be too many SoCal kids invited to whatever. In fact Cal South quit sending their teams to Regional Camp because it was useless when 17 out of 18 Cal South kids would be selected for the Region team. There was no competition, including Colorado which seems to get a very high and disproportionate number of YNT invites every year. We would always kick their ass in ODP regionals. To answer your question on recruiting I am not totally sure what you are getting at. 04's will be what U14 this year. They are still a year to 2 years away from really getting scouting love from the universities. There is always the outlier but really at U15 things start to roll a bit for the recognized players but at U16 is where things really start to take off. I probably had a better answer when you just had to worry about ECNL and non ECNL. ECNL had their own built in program non ECNL was CRL, National League, USYS Championships , Surf Cup, Surf College Showcase and Vegas Players Showcase and ODP. My kids team played in it all. Now with the landscape changed I am not sure I have a great answer other than by U16 you want to be in a place that is getting good exposure and on a team that challenges your kid. We were non ECNL although she was a discovery player but over 4 years I think she played in a total of 8 games. My thing was coaching that fit her style and a training environment that rivaled the game environment. Our girls beat the crap out of each other in training. Game time was a break typically. There was not too many teams that challenged us like we did ourselves in training. My kids path was certainly not conventional. She was on no name teams up to U14 mostly trained by me but had gained notoriety with ODP and YNT and made move to the best non ECNL team in SoCal for her last 4 years. She had zero college exposure on my teams and but got a ton on her club team and ODP teams at U15 and above. That was our experience.

That is a perfect example of the political BS. Then that CRL team should have been there rather than the NJ team. For ODP example, if some kids from BFE don't get selected for a camp be it ID2, or Regional etc they will quit sending their State teams to Regionals even though they get their ass kicked every year. So we gotta give them some love right? Really? They should get an invite to a camp and a better SoCal kid should not cause that would be too many SoCal kids invited to whatever. In fact Cal South quit sending their teams to Regional Camp because it was useless when 17 out of 18 Cal South kids would be selected for the Region team. There was no competition, including Colorado which seems to get a very high and disproportionate number of YNT invites every year. We would always kick their ass in ODP regionals. To answer your question on recruiting I am not totally sure what you are getting at. 04's will be what U14 this year. They are still a year to 2 years away from really getting scouting love from the universities. There is always the outlier but really at U15 things start to roll a bit for the recognized players but at U16 is where things really start to take off. I probably had a better answer when you just had to worry about ECNL and non ECNL. ECNL had their own built in program non ECNL was CRL, National League, USYS Championships , Surf Cup, Surf College Showcase and Vegas Players Showcase and ODP. My kids team played in it all. Now with the landscape changed I am not sure I have a great answer other than by U16 you want to be in a place that is getting good exposure and on a team that challenges your kid. We were non ECNL although she was a discovery player but over 4 years I think she played in a total of 8 games. My thing was coaching that fit her style and a training environment that rivaled the game environment. Our girls beat the crap out of each other in training. Game time was a break typically. There was not too many teams that challenged us like we did ourselves in training. My kids path was certainly not conventional. She was on no name teams up to U14 mostly trained by me but had gained notoriety with ODP and YNT and made move to the best non ECNL team in SoCal for her last 4 years. She had zero college exposure on my teams and but got a ton on her club team and ODP teams at U15 and above. That was our experience.

I remember the North County United Boca days. The little pesky blonde that seemed like she was everywhere. I miss those days.

Striker -

I've been wondering about this process myself. Unlike MAP and others, I am going through this for the first time with my DD and trying to learn as much as I can to help her reach her goals.

Last night our club put on a very informative college info night. It was designed to get the players info about the steps they should be taking to prepare for the college recruitment process. I came away from this with a few observations I'll share:

- To give you a sense of level, my dd is not a national team pool player. She was invited to the ODP pool (last year), but didn't make the final cut. She has been involved in a run of US training centers, but nothing more than that. She'll be playing DA this fall. I guess I would say she is very ambitious, she is a very strong player, but she hasn't reached the "elite" level (yet ;-))

- Funadamentally, the unicorns are a little different than what you will read below. If she is a regular national team player, then she may have people coming to her, but most of our DD's are not in that situation.

- My dd is going into 8th grade this fall. It was clear that this is a good time for her to start the process of thinking about how to get noticed. Beyond the performance on the field, she needs to be looking into the type of schools she might be interested in (academically) and then considering among those which programs play soccer in a way that interests her. She has to start her scouting of the schools now and we as parents need to help with that. I must admit I was a bit surprised by this. It just seems early to me. I thought the girls that get noticed at the early ages were all unicorns. However, the feedback from this session was all about the player taking the initiative to get on the radar screen at schools of interest.

- Lot's of info about what can and can't be done in the recruitment process at the early ages. Geeze these rules seem arcane! However, the general theme was that my DD needs to be taking her own initiative to develop her list of schools now based on criteria we will discuss together. She needs to reach out to programs of interest over the course of this year, just to let them know she is out there and interested in them. Get on their radar screen. At this age, she can't expect much back and forth in that communication (with some minor exceptions), but she can register her intent with them, which can make a huge difference.

- There was a panel of college coaches at the event (they are here this week in prep for Surf and Silverlakes). They gave a lot of interesting feedback. Lot's of attention being paid to the intangibles. Social media presence, off field behavior, interactions with the player and her coach/parents/other players. All these are observed and considered as a quick tool to cross someone off the list or give them a plus in a coach's mind. The numbers are staggering in terms of available players each year compared to the number of spots colleges have to fill. So, they use everything they can to make quick decisions that whittle down their list.

- The thing that I thought was interesting was the comments about seeing a player at events. The discussion was not about ECNL, DA, Surf, Disney, etc. It was much more about using a network of feedback to quickly evaluate whether they should watch a player. Overwhelmingly, the college coaches all spoke about the importance of the discussion with a club coach/DOC. Apparently, college coaches will reach out to clubs to enquire about a player that is on their radar screen. This is an important interaction. I found the comments very interesting. The clubs want to make honest recommendations because if they recommend players that are a waste of time for a college coach, then that college may not ask again. Similarly, the college coaches rely on that feedback as part of their process to whittle down the list of players they are considering.

- Given the comment in the paragraph above, colleges will find a way to watch players that may fit their needs. This gave me a sense that the league/playing circuit/tournament schedule matters much less than the quality of club/coach that your DD is with. While their role is only a small part of the recruitment process, it is important.

- There were lots of great comments about the way my DD should initiate communications. I won't get into those details other than to say this: I'm sure your club will provide a similar college info session(s), if they haven't already. I highly recommend your active participation. My DD's eyes were opened and so were mine (which kind of the intent of the whole thing). This is going to be a lengthy, challenging process, but I think we have the resources to help our DDs make this happen, if they are committed.

Hope this helps!

Back