U17 Women's World Cup

It wasn't that they lost a match, it was how they played as a team. They beat Cameroon and it is highly likely that they can beat Germany and advance but that wouldn't change what people are saying.
First, I think it important to state that this roster is comprised of incredibly talented players, and all of them have earned their spot through hard work.

That being said, given these girls are mostly the same age as my youngest player, I can say the selection process was not designed to create a team with complimentary parts that fit together to create the greatest whole. It is an all-star team of outstanding individual performances. While it is often great to have one or two players on the field confident they can take on the opposing team on their own and win, having 10 with that mindset is less conducive to successful team play.

The loss of possession you see is mostly due to poor decision making against skilled and smart opponents, not a lack of skill on their part.

So it does come down to the selection process, the decisions they reward, and the rosters they create. That is a US Soccer coaching issue, one that I have yet to see any new league structure or new rule correct.

First, I think it important to state that this roster is comprised of incredibly talented players, and all of them have earned their spot through hard work.

That being said, given these girls are mostly the same age as my youngest player, I can say the selection process was not designed to create a team with complimentary parts that fit together to create the greatest whole. It is an all-star team of outstanding individual performances. While it is often great to have one or two players on the field confident they can take on the opposing team on their own and win, having 10 with that mindset is less conducive to successful team play.

The loss of possession you see is mostly due to poor decision making against skilled and smart opponents, not a lack of skill on their part.

So it does come down to the selection process, the decisions they reward, and the rosters they create. That is a US Soccer coaching issue, one that I have yet to see any new league structure or new rule correct.
I think there are some club teams in Socal that could give the u17 National team all they could handle and more.

Couldn't have said it better

Top Drawer Soccer article said that US had a "slight edge in possession" but didn't see it..
(https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/u17-wnt-fall-in-second-world-cup-match_aid45475)

They are a very talented group of players for sure but this article seems pretty accurate.
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...oses-3-0-korea-dpr-group-u17-womens-world-cup

Couldn't have said it better

Top Drawer Soccer article said that US had a "slight edge in possession" but didn't see it..
(https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/u17-wnt-fall-in-second-world-cup-match_aid45475)

What game were they watching, this was like a 70/30 possession game in favor of Korea? What was disheartening to watch was how much more comfortable and sophisticated Korea was with the ball at their feet. The only US player that seemed to be on that level was the girl with the frizzy hair, I think she’s #20.

What game were they watching, this was like a 70/30 possession game in favor of Korea? What was disheartening to watch was how much more comfortable and sophisticated Korea was with the ball at their feet. The only US player that seemed to be on that level was the girl with the frizzy hair, I think she’s #20.
Maybe it was their hair or the lack there of.

Germany just took them to the woodshed. 4-0. Thank goodness that US Soccer has the NCAA to develop their players...

TDS is a dumpster fire on top of warmed over $hit.

Said I would wait till after the 3 group games to pass judgment. From my couch, like some others are saying, this looks like a coaching issue to me. From the opening longball punt on the kickoffs to the lack of meaningful connecting through midfield, there's just no patient and cohesive playing together. US players attacked better today, but that was because Germany didn't high-press and pretty much parked the bus after going up 2-0. Announcers kept talking about USA dominating possession, but duh, that's because Germany let them have the ball until the final third. Cameroon and PRK high-pressed and USA couldn't handle it.

To be fair, US suffered from just plain bad luck too in this game, hitting the woodwork several times and having a handball call take away a goal. But, they benefited from that same Lady Luck in the first match against Cameroon when their goals were certainly helped by freaky occurrences; they were totally outplayed in Game 1.

Last, though these girls are definitely more skilled than older American players. There's a difference between skill and technique. Can they kick a strong/hard ball and dribble through cones really fast? Yes. But, can they thread a pass under pressure with the correct weight and get it on their teammates favoured foot so she can one-touch a finish? Doesn't look like it. Can they make a run off the ball into the right space and at the right angle? Not sure.

These girls still weren't part of the recent futsal wave and the US Soccer changes to 9v9, 7v7 etc. at later ages, so hopefully we will see the benefits of those play out with the girls even younger -- 2005 and younger--in future u17 WCs. BUT, US has to be willing and able to find and choose those players. Then, the coaching staff needs to let them and encourage them to play a true possession-style of football.

Canada also got a cold splash of water thrown on them today by Spain's ars-kicking. Everyone up north sounding like Canada really making strides with its program because they won first two games. Wake up call! It is ironic, however, that Canada and Mexico are through, and US is not. Feel sorry for the players. Hopefully, they can pull a life lesson or two from the experience. Best to them and their families for representing the stars/stripes as best as they could.

MAP - agree with a lot of the article. I'll tell you why Davidson was passed over at the younger ages -- because she wasn't an "early maturer". Physical maturity seems to play a big role in player selection at the younger ages for USA. Granted, when facing teams like Cameroon, with players who are big and strong and physical, a late-maturing skinny girl may struggle. But that shouldn't mean keeping someone like Davidson off the team. Instead, sit her on the bench for that game and let her shine vs. all the other countries who she can beat with her technique and calm presence on the ball.

That said, I still don't think it's primarily a player choice issue -- primarily a coaching issue for me. How many mini-triangles or diamond shapes did you see the USA in throughout the field when in possession? None. A player gets the ball and teammates are streaking up the sides or running ahead up the middle. So, when #10 or #8 or #6 (positions) get the ball, they have one option -- try to kick a longer pass either on the ground or in the air to the runners. Easily defend-able. Contrast that with Japan or Korea or Spain who always have a triangle or diamond shape around the ball. Players know this and so can easily pass out of pressure because they have 5 options -- forward, back, left, right, or over the top. This is a style of play that has to be practiced and learned and practiced some more. Did you notice how Germany in first 30 minutes continued to try and play out the back over and over again, even when USA was pouncing on them? Eventually, after they couldn't get the ball out 7-8x, they kicked one or two long, but that's the type of commitment needed to develop -- as you know. I give them a lot of credit.

Just confounds me why, when the winning recipe is right there on display for everyone to see with teams like Spain, Koreas, Japan, etc. why US (and Canada) can't copy it---or at least lose while trying!

MAP - agree with a lot of the article. I'll tell you why Davidson was passed over at the younger ages -- because she wasn't an "early maturer". Physical maturity seems to play a big role in player selection at the younger ages for USA. Granted, when facing teams like Cameroon, with players who are big and strong and physical, a late-maturing skinny girl may struggle. But that shouldn't mean keeping someone like Davidson off the team. Instead, sit her on the bench for that game and let her shine vs. all the other countries who she can beat with her technique and calm presence on the ball.

That said, I still don't think it's primarily a player choice issue -- primarily a coaching issue for me. How many mini-triangles or diamond shapes did you see the USA in throughout the field when in possession? None. A player gets the ball and teammates are streaking up the sides or running ahead up the middle. So, when #10 or #8 or #6 (positions) get the ball, they have one option -- try to kick a longer pass either on the ground or in the air to the runners. Easily defend-able. Contrast that with Japan or Korea or Spain who always have a triangle or diamond shape around the ball. Players know this and so can easily pass out of pressure because they have 5 options -- forward, back, left, right, or over the top. This is a style of play that has to be practiced and learned and practiced some more. Did you notice how Germany in first 30 minutes continued to try and play out the back over and over again, even when USA was pouncing on them? Eventually, after they couldn't get the ball out 7-8x, they kicked one or two long, but that's the type of commitment needed to develop -- as you know. I give them a lot of credit.

Just confounds me why, when the winning recipe is right there on display for everyone to see with teams like Spain, Koreas, Japan, etc. why US (and Canada) can't copy it---or at least lose while trying!
It's very difficult to replicate a possession build up type of style when most of the players don't come from that kind of club environment. Many clubs say they teach/develop this style, but I rarely see club teams actually execute it. That means this is not what they're being taught. It has to be taught from a very early age and when you get a mix of girls into these youth camps from around the country for a short period of time, it's going to be difficult to make it work because every player is learning a different way. That being said, I agree that the wrong players are being chosen, but I also know the players that have been chosen aren't being put in a position to succeed with the coaching they are getting. That is clear.

I wish we knew what they all write down at YNT ID. They leave what they evaluate and what they think of a player a mystery. Feedback seems like it would be helpful to developing the larger pool of players.

I don’t know what the structure looks like in other countries leading up to the U17 World Cup, but I can imagine that at this age especially the opportunity for USA players to play together is limited.

I wish we knew what they all write down at YNT ID. They leave what they evaluate and what they think of a player a mystery. Feedback seems like it would be helpful to developing the larger pool of players.

I don’t know what the structure looks like in other countries leading up to the U17 World Cup, but I can imagine that at this age especially the opportunity for USA players to play together is limited.
I agree. My DD kept getting invited since they started, but never once did she get any feedback from the sessions. Her club coach was able to speak to one of the USSF Coaches andget a little (all positive). But, now she’s pretty much aged out, and never got any first hand feedback. Would have been nice.

U.S. needs to pick the best players and coaches. When you read articles that state, “Sixteen players participated in the 2017-18 inaugural season of the U.S. Soccer Girls' Development Academy, with seven picking up Academy Conference Best XI honors last year,” makes you wonder how many talented players did they leave off because they did not or could not participate in GDA. Haven’t we seen this before :(? This is not to say they didn’t have talent, but they are severely limiting themselves all for the purpose of selling their product through a press release. Also, the coach left his top 4 players on the bench because of fatigue. This was a must win game. Win or go home. That too was a had scratcher.

U.S. needs to pick the best players and coaches. When you read articles that state, “Sixteen players participated in the 2017-18 inaugural season of the U.S. Soccer Girls' Development Academy, with seven picking up Academy Conference Best XI honors last year,” makes you wonder how many talented players did they leave off because they did not or could not participate in GDA. Haven’t we seen this before :(? This is not to say they didn’t have talent, but they are severely limiting themselves all for the purpose of selling their product through a press release. Also, the coach left his top 4 players on the bench because of fatigue. This was a must win game. Win or go home. That too was a had scratcher.

I can't imagine this not changing fairly soon. How many beatings are they going to allow the GDA girls to take before, 1. they widen the net to open up the selection process and 2. the beatings destroy the reputation, credibility and influence of the GDA program. They are almost to the point where they are going to have to take the best XI to start on the field and then they can load the bench with GDA players so that they can claim to be majority GDA players on YNT rosters. The one thing that none of the teams can continue to do is getting beat, and soundly, by the competition. However, know US Soccer, they will likely go back to playing, and whooping, teams like El Salvador and then publicly claiming how great these US player are. Just a joke.

Back