U17 Women's World Cup

You cannot build soccer IQ from zero, but neither does IQ arrive fully formed -- it needs training, experience and competition, taking chances and learning from mistakes.

What puzzles is the inability for US Soccer to identify this IQ, and target development of these players. Nor understand that several of their rules and policies actually discourage the development of soccer IQ (including substitution rules, outside competition prohibitions, etc.)

I would agree with most of this except the reference to the substitution rules. Liberal substitution rules can result in kids getting yanked when they make mistakes. And putting in a kid to press for 25 minute stretches before they tucker out doesn't build soccer IQ either. Playing good, strategic defense for 45 minutes takes a much higher IQ than 25 or even 35 minutes.

I would agree with most of this except the reference to the substitution rules. Liberal substitution rules can result in kids getting yanked when they make mistakes. And putting in a kid to press for 25 minute stretches before they tucker out doesn't build soccer IQ either. Playing good, strategic defense for 45 minutes takes a much higher IQ than 25 or even 35 minutes.

Rules that limit a good coach's ability to make good decisions because you're worried that bad coaches will make bad decisions is a very poor reason to make a rule at the elite soccer level. Bad soccer coaches can make a lot of very bad substitution decisions with limited substitutions too. They can work kids too hard when she otherwise could have gotten a break, increasing the risk of injury. They can leave an injured kid in a game hoping the injury isn't serious when subbing them out and actually evaluating them is always the better solution. The coach might play down a player while their best player spends 10 minutes going through concussion protocol, which leaves all 10 kids having to press harder to make up for being short a player, rather than the one kid in your example.

Where's your medical study proving that forcing 6 kids a game to play 90 minutes is safer than allowing a break and reentry? Or do you not care about the safety of the players because you're more worried about good, strategic defense in that game?

Rules that limit a good coach's ability to make good decisions because you're worried that bad coaches will make bad decisions is a very poor reason to make a rule at the elite soccer level. Bad soccer coaches can make a lot of very bad substitution decisions with limited substitutions too. They can work kids too hard when she otherwise could have gotten a break, increasing the risk of injury. They can leave an injured kid in a game hoping the injury isn't serious when subbing them out and actually evaluating them is always the better solution. The coach might play down a player while their best player spends 10 minutes going through concussion protocol, which leaves all 10 kids having to press harder to make up for being short a player, rather than the one kid in your example.

Where's your medical study proving that forcing 6 kids a game to play 90 minutes is safer than allowing a break and reentry? Or do you not care about the safety of the players because you're more worried about good, strategic defense in that game?
Ok, ok....I give....I’ll be the one to ask just 2 questions (maybe you’ll actually answer one)

1) You’ve spend countless posts regurgitating the same arguement. You obviously have a position. So what is your recommendation for a young, elite female soccer player. What would you suggest/recommend this player do when deciding where to play next season and why?

2) Can you show me on a doll where The DA hurt you?

Ok, ok....I give....I’ll be the one to ask just 2 questions (maybe you’ll actually answer one)

1) You’ve spend countless posts regurgitating the same arguement. You obviously have a position. So what is your recommendation for a young, elite female soccer player. What would you suggest/recommend this player do when deciding where to play next season and why?

2) Can you show me on a doll where The DA hurt you?

It's up around the head. USSFDA is trying to mindfuck us.

You are a hoot. You are right, of course. The downside of playing more is an increase risk of injury. You should probably encourage kids not to play at all if you are really concerned about injury. But you're not; just a fraud that's way too concerned about weather at events you don't attend. Self-righteously shame parents about letting their kids play 80 or 90 minutes; to do so, you make up some arbitrary line about how many minutes are too much. Pathetic.

Getting back to soccer IQ; my point stands uncontested - although I would like to read Dos Equis' take since my beer-drinking friend seems to know a lot more soccer than I do.

You are a hoot. You are right, of course. The downside of playing more is an increase risk of injury. You should probably encourage kids not to play at all if you are really concerned about injury. But you're not; just a fraud that's way too concerned about weather at events you don't attend. Self-righteously shame parents about letting their kids play 80 or 90 minutes; to do so, you make up some arbitrary line about how many minutes are too much. Pathetic.

Getting back to soccer IQ; my point stands uncontested - although I would like to read Dos Equis' take since my beer-drinking friend seems to know a lot more soccer than I do.
You owe me a beer.:)

If you meet me at Hop Saint later I’ll buy you 2. They are tapping the Special edition Resilience IPA tonight. (Resilience is a special recipe that Sierra Nevada shared with certain breweries and all proceeds go to support victims of the Camp fire)
Dam! Love that place! Meeting co-workers for dinner. Bummed!

Last edited:

Apologize for the initial blank reply. My beer drinking is less frequent these days and, after a brief romance with tequila, I have found that wine more suits my passions.

I understand that there are arguments both for and against DA substitution rules, and while I think the arguments against (which do include increased risk of injury, among others), far outnumber those in favor (game fitness and management), I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions, and this probably has been and should be a separate conversation.

My point highlighting the rule is similar to my issue with some other rules and decisions US Soccer has made (the build-out line, the college ID camp rules, the entire process to hire a new MNT coach). US Soccer has a bad habit of focusing on the symptoms, not the underlying disease, and then providing morphine, not medicine. Bad coaches will still make bad decisions and fail in player development, regardless of the rules.

When it comes to club (and to rec), US Soccer should be focusing on coaching education and development, providing a steady stream of training and development programs and guidelines (where have you gone, Claudio Reyna?), and identifying the best coaches and rewarding them (and their players). The should rely on the coaches and families to make decisions, and provide more tools to help them make the right ones (not try to force their desires upon them).

Ironically, in my years as a club parent, in games that mattered, when good coaches were in charge, I have seen the majority of a team play the full game, and the substitution look very similar to what the DA desires, without the need for any rule dictating it to be so.

Apologize for the initial blank reply. My beer drinking is less frequent these days and, after a brief romance with tequila, I have found that wine more suits my passions.

I understand that there are arguments both for and against DA substitution rules, and while I think the arguments against (which do include increased risk of injury, among others), far outnumber those in favor (game fitness and management), I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions, and this probably has been and should be a separate conversation.

My point highlighting the rule is similar to my issue with some other rules and decisions US Soccer has made (the build-out line, the college ID camp rules, the entire process to hire a new MNT coach). US Soccer has a bad habit of focusing on the symptoms, not the underlying disease, and then providing morphine, not medicine. Bad coaches will still make bad decisions and fail in player development, regardless of the rules.

When it comes to club (and to rec), US Soccer should be focusing on coaching education and development, providing a steady stream of training and development programs and guidelines (where have you gone, Claudio Reyna?), and identifying the best coaches and rewarding them (and their players). The should rely on the coaches and families to make decisions, and provide more tools to help them make the right ones (not try to force their desires upon them).

Ironically, in my years as a club parent, in games that mattered, when good coaches were in charge, I have seen the majority of a team play the full game, and the substitution look very similar to what the DA desires, without the need for any rule dictating it to be so.

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

usually Top Drawer Soccer is a bit of a cheerleader for US Soccer YNT but not in this article. It will be interesting to see what is considered "cleaning house" for US Soccer

"Best and Worst of the U.S. YNT in 2018"
"Worst Youth National Team Moments of 2018
U.S. Women’s Youth National Team Struggles

While the Men’s Youth National Team enjoyed some highs in 2018, the Women’s Youth National Team was left with a number of embarrassing results. The U17 WNT finished last in Group C at the 2018 Women’s U17 World Cup in Uruguay. Meanwhile, regional rival Mexico announced its place on the world stage with an appearance in the championship game against Spain at the same tournament.

The U20 Women’s National Team had a bit more success at the Women’s U20 World Cup. USA finished third in Group C. Failing to advance from group stage in either age group is a blemish on the women’s youth program. There is a silver lining to this dark spell though. The U.S. Soccer Federation is cleaning house for 2019. The Federation is hiring a new Technical Director to oversee the program, which could be a complete shift in the program for the future. "

Back