The right choice?

It is not about conditioning, it is about learning to play the international game. If the goal is for the US to stay competitive in women's soccer (and become competitive in men's soccer), then our adult players need to play the international game. If we want to see our National Teams get schooled by teams that play possession soccer, then maintain the status quo. The US is different than the rest of the world due to the fact that we have college sports. We should use the strengths that we have and change the college game so that is helps with player development.
Learning to play the international game? Then why are international national team players coming over to the US playing collegiate soccer, besides wanting to get a free education? Want the US to play possession soccer? It's pretty simple, fire the US YNT staff and head coaches and replace them with coaches from, Spain, Japan, Germany and or France. Oh, we tried that with Tom Sermani and weren't patient enough after incurring a few losses and he was fired.

I'm going to lay it all out for ulittle parents.

1. Girls DA is not increasing the amount of college soccer scholarships.
2. Playing GDA doesn't mean your DD's are going to get a collegiate scholarship to school of her choice.
3. Playing GDA doesn't increase your DD's chance of getting a YNT invite.
4. There will be many who's DD will not be playing soccer in a couple of years.
5. Your DDs are all be competing for the same college roster spots in their graduating class.
6. Posters in your age group will stop posting in a couple of years, because reality from #1-5 will be realized.

Lastly, enough watching your DD's playing and let them have fun, because the time is going to fly by!

Learning to play the international game? Then why are international national team players coming over to the US playing collegiate soccer, besides wanting to get a free education? Want the US to play possession soccer? It's pretty simple, fire the US YNT staff and head coaches and replace them with coaches from, Spain, Japan, Germany and or France. Oh, we tried that with Tom Sermani and weren't patient enough after incurring a few losses and he was fired.

I find it hard to believe there are NO United States coaches who preach possession. The issue is, we care about winning even at the youth levels where we fire coaches who don't come close to winning a u17 World Cup even if their style is good. FYI not saying the previous one but some in the past. With Sermani he did the exact same thing Jill just did at that she believes cup where we got smoked by France. Tried new players and different things. Senior players complained to Gulati and what do you know? Fired.

my other question for GDA, are they really going mandate a style to all these so cal clubs, evaluate their sessions, etc? They do this for the boys or at least attempt too. Play 4-3-3 or else...unless your the main national team. This could be some fun if that's the case.

Real Deal don't be butthurt!

Seriously, did you think your DD was going to make money playing professional womens soccer? Your DD is only 5 yrs younger than my DD. You need to refocus your DD goals and that's playing college soccer and getting some kind of scholarship money, because that is not a guarantee playing for Girls DA or ECNL team.

I stated (in post #71 as a matter of fact) that our goal was for her to play in college. I'm sure you will respond that she has no chance, since you find it acceptable to flame people by disrespecting their children because you disagree with an opinion. No problem-- that's on your Karma sheet.

You don't know my kid, me, or our situation at all.

Hey guys, my daughter will be age eligible for DA next year so I come to this forum to try to figure out the best path for her. I am disappointed to see how this thread seems to have gone off the rails. If you want to make it personal with another poster, I guess go ahead, but lets leave the kids out of this. Lets keep this a place where people with NO soccer experience (like me) can come and get thoughts and ideas. The forum is what we make of it.

Amen to this. The venom displayed by some posters towards other people's kids is disgusting,

2. Playing GDA doesn't mean your DD's are going to get a collegiate scholarship to school of her choice.
5. Your DDs are all be competing for the same college roster spots in their graduating class.
6. Posters in your age group will stop posting in a couple of years, because reality from #1-5 will be realized.

Lastly, enough watching your DD's playing and let them have fun, because the time is going to fly by!
What makes you all knowing, you have a kid that got some money to play in college, just like thousands of other kids. Girls DA teams aren't even formed yet and you are already making stupid statements, you may end up being right, but you are guessing just like everyone else.

I stated (in post #71 as a matter of fact) that our goal was for her to play in college. I'm sure you will respond that she has no chance, since you find it acceptable to flame people by disrespecting their children because you disagree with an opinion. No problem-- that's on your Karma sheet.

You don't know my kid, me, or our situation at all.
I don't need to know you. The probability is high that you're like many other posters who have come before you on the 98, 99, 00, 01 age group who think playing for a GDA team (previously ECNL) she is one of the best. A lot will change in 2 yrs, wha makes you think your DDs 04/05 age group is any different? #thereisnone

What makes you all knowing, you have a kid that got some money to play in college, just like thousands of other kids. Girls DA teams aren't even formed yet and you are already making stupid statements, you may end up being right, but you are guessing just like everyone else.
Um? Replace ECNL with GDA...it's the same dog and pony show, different platform.

And I've seen it with the 98, 99, 00 age groups!

Style of play in college will not change. The college coaches keep their jobs baeed on results and not because they played possession soccer.

I find it hard to believe there are NO United States coaches who preach possession. The issue is, we care about winning even at the youth levels where we fire coaches who don't come close to winning a u17 World Cup even if their style is good. FYI not saying the previous one but some in the past. With Sermani he did the exact same thing Jill just did at that she believes cup where we got smoked by France. Tried new players and different things. Senior players complained to Gulati and what do you know? Fired.

my other question for GDA, are they really going mandate a style to all these so cal clubs, evaluate their sessions, etc? They do this for the boys or at least attempt too. Play 4-3-3 or else...unless your the main national team. This could be some fun if that's the case.
Preaching vs training, idenifying, playing possession soccer is on a different level.

Say what you want about certain posters but MAP has done a lot correctly. You may not like the delivery of the truth but it's the truth. Parents around here do not want to hear it- they want a bow tied gift wrapped version of "Your daughter will never be elite"
Then they come back with their excuses:
- we are focused on academics anyway
- we don't like the coach at X club
- we just want her to have fun
- people are so mean around here

My daughter isn't YNT. She has always been ODP but I know that racket. If she can go to a great school and play and not have it affect grades great. My BFF daughter just had a great offer from a D3- a lot of money and a great school. After the soccer coach showed her the schedule and off season schedule she declined the offer because she was worried about school.

It does always seem like the younger parents are the really out of touch ones. I appreciate you Map and NG and Cali! I may not always like how you say what you say but it has made me wake up to some hard and fast truths.

I am surprised you can look at any mirror without it shattering.
The difference between us is I actually like to see everyones' kid succeed, even though you are what you are, I wouldn't wish bad things on your kid.

I do not care about what you wish or don't wish. I don't know you and probably wouldn't like you. I don't care about your kid and couldn't care less about what you wish upon my kid. She is an adult and doing fine. Can you say the same?

I do not care about what you wish or don't wish. I don't know you and probably wouldn't like you. I don't care about your kid and couldn't care less about what you wish upon my kid. She is an adult and doing fine. Can you say the same?

I agree with these as well. Some of us are totally focused on our kids and what we need to do to get things done. Sorry I am not interested in anyone else's- I am in it to win it. Lots of people are ..:

Um? Replace ECNL with GDA...it's the same dog and pony show, different platform.

And I've seen it with the 98, 99, 00 age groups!

Style of play in college will not change. The college coaches keep their jobs baeed on results and not because they played possession soccer.
Oh yeah and my DD isn't like the 1000s of other players who got a college soccer scholarship. She didn't settle playing for some unknown Univeristy in the middle Central Arkansas.

NG I wish that I could resurrect all of the posters that have disappeared as their players have quit soccer and moved on. Funny thing is we are still standing!

Not standing - thriving. The two most unapologetically aggressive parents in my age group for their daughters have made some very difficult and controversial choices but their daughters level of play and commitment to the game is phenomenal. I learned a lot from parents like You guys about advocating for my daughter while maintaining realistic expectations about where she's going to end up

I also want to say to new posters on this forum that the back-and-forth between the old-timers posters goes back a long way and they all know each other and they have been through many changes together so although it might look aggressive and crass if you don't know the backstory there is a lot of history with all of them

Hey now some of us can appreciate what you guys say ! We just want you to see our side of it once in a while that US soccer changed our whole game. I was very excited about EC NL it was what I was looking forward to for my daughter I didn't expect the rug to get pulled out from underneath me and now I have to figure out how to keep her doing what she wants to do. That's not easy

Back