The right choice?

From Google:
"DIII colleges are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships and the amount of practice time a coach can have is reduced; athletes here are competing for the love of competition."

I know you are a ulittle parent. It's called working the system- it's called getting her in and finding money. That's what that coach did for her and it was part of her playing.
Spare me man you are a know it all

Say what you want about certain posters but MAP has done a lot correctly. You may not like the delivery of the truth but it's the truth. Parents around here do not want to hear it- they want a bow tied gift wrapped version of "Your daughter will never be elite"
Then they come back with their excuses:
- we are focused on academics anyway
- we don't like the coach at X club
- we just want her to have fun
- people are so mean around here

My daughter isn't YNT. She has always been ODP but I know that racket. If she can go to a great school and play and not have it affect grades great. My BFF daughter just had a great offer from a D3- a lot of money and a great school. After the soccer coach showed her the schedule and off season schedule she declined the offer because she was worried about school.

It does always seem like the younger parents are the really out of touch ones. I appreciate you Map and NG and Cali! I may not always like how you say what you say but it has made me wake up to some hard and fast truths.

@Striker17 I apologize for my delivery. At times it gets annoying hearing the same old argument by a new parent. At the end of the day it is up to all of us to help our players get on the track that best suits them. I would ask my player every year up to her U18 season if she still really wanted to play before I wrote a check (even after she had accepted a scholarship offer). That way it was up to her. Our focus for our player has always been in order: College and having fun. Anything that would distract from those two things were unacceptable. My player had a mandate that she get straight A's or I wan't going to spend a dime.

Good luck to your player. You and your spouse clearly are putting your player first and working the plan. That is the formula for success because no player gets there alone,

Not standing - thriving. The two most unapologetically aggressive parents in my age group for their daughters have made some very difficult and controversial choices but their daughters level of play and commitment to the game is phenomenal. I learned a lot from parents like You guys about advocating for my daughter while maintaining realistic expectations about where she's going to end up
And I have already told my DD. Be prepared to sit as a college freshmen.

Hey now some of us can appreciate what you guys say ! We just want you to see our side of it once in a while that US soccer changed our whole game. I was very excited about EC NL it was what I was looking forward to for my daughter I didn't expect the rug to get pulled out from underneath me and now I have to figure out how to keep her doing what she wants to do. That's not easy
It should be the same goal at U15 and beyond, college coaching exposure at showcases.

That just shows that you have no clue as to what makes a great person/student athlete/player. I have yet to meet a top level athlete without some sort of edge to them. Keep dreaming of rainbows and unicorns. My player plays in a competitive cauldron where even the weakest player is a YNT player. It's not for everyone. It has to be in your DNA. You might want yours to take up needlepoint if you think that I am nasty.
This post is so true! What seperates the best from the average player, is the edge they play with on the field. All of the top players have an edge to them.

This post is so true! What seperates the best from the average player, is the edge they play with on the field. All of the top players have an edge to them.

Not to mention that the college head coaches aren't there to coddle anyone. If a player can't take getting yelled at then D1 is not the right fit.

Not to mention that the college head coaches aren't there to coddle anyone. If a player can't take getting yelled at then D1 is not the right fit.
If you understand child development you would know there is a huge difference between a 12,13 year old and an 18-22 year old. Let's hope so anyway. If a child grows up in a home where, for the most part, problems are discussed and resolved, a yelling, screaming adult man is difficult to get used to. If a child grows up in a home where problems are settled with yelling and arguing over everything, that child from a young age thinks nothing of being yelled at whereas the child raised in a calmer environment will take longer to adjust to yelling, abusive coaches. Eventually they all adjust to all the assholes out there.

If you understand child development you would know there is a huge difference between a 12,13 year old and an 18-22 year old. Let's hope so anyway. If a child grows up in a home where, for the most part, problems are discussed and resolved, a yelling, screaming adult man is difficult to get used to. If a child grows up in a home where problems are settled with yelling and arguing over everything, that child from a young age thinks nothing of being yelled at whereas the child raised in a calmer environment will take longer to adjust to yelling, abusive coaches. Eventually they all adjust to all the assholes out there.

I need me some child development classes. Those are some pearls of wisdom.

Not sure where this is coming from because my player is quite coddled by us. She does know that real life is not what we provide her. At the same time she is well prepared for what is out there. D1 coaches don't coddle players they aren't parents. If you are so wet behind the ears to realize this then please keep feeding your kid lies and make her wish for rainbows and unicorns. Sports are competitive. Coaches must win or face the loss of their livelihood. Expectations are high and unless your player is going to a PAC 12 or Big Ten school then the scholarship is one year. Florida State had half of their 8 man 2016 recruiting class reaccomodated and it might be 5 of 8 by the summer. Many of you Ulittle parents want to focus on the GDA but Florida St treats everyone like a pro. Do well and thrive. Non-contributors go home. Every year new foreign recruits come in along with top domestic talent. What you have it all wrong if you think that college soccer is a game. It isn't. It's a business. Please if you are serious about your player making it to college soccer, get the fluffy ideas out of your head.

Back